HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Closed Thread

Old Posted Feb 14, 2021, 7:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScreamShatter View Post
^ Yup! Would love to see a revival of the older Philly styles and a shift away from this modern plastic box architecture that’s going to look awful in 10 years.
agreed

Old Posted Feb 15, 2021, 2:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardeza View Post
agreed
❤️

Old Posted Feb 15, 2021, 7:28 PM

The McDonalds at Broad and Carpenter has permanently closed. Hopefully this leads to new development and a higher use.

Old Posted Feb 15, 2021, 8:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHL10 View Post
The McDonalds at Broad and Carpenter has permanently closed. Hopefully this leads to new development and a higher use.
Good riddance. Hopefully something can replace it and the lot just north of it. I hope whatever replaces it incorporates the tiny pedestrian entrance to Montrose street. It's a cool little cut through: https://goo.gl/maps/eVeh1QtCuRQtTrxs8

Old Posted Feb 15, 2021, 10:08 PM
Tony V / ValuezTV

Quote:
Wow they closed that one, thats the last Mc Donalds I thought was gonna close, I thought the one at Girard/Broad would close before that one.

Old Posted Feb 15, 2021, 10:42 PM

Quote:
Yes!! McDonalds owns the land and they generally close locations to develop them bc they're big intl the real estate business apparently. This whole strip of drive thrus could really change the atmosphere if they develop

Old Posted Feb 16, 2021, 12:04 AM
Chris

Has anyone passed the 1700 block of Walnut lately? I heard demo is (or has) started on the buildings destroyed by arsonists back in May 2020. Such a shame those beautiful buildings were lost.

And while I blame the arsonists, I also shame on the city for not intervening and requiring immediate stabilization of the street facades. If this land is immediately developed into a great project, then its a sort of fair trade-off, but if we are left with a huge hole for years on a prime block, then wow...

Old Posted Feb 16, 2021, 12:09 AM
Tony V / ValuezTV

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHLtoNYC View Post
Has anyone passed the 1700 block of Walnut lately? I heard demo is (or has) started on the buildings destroyed by arsonists back in May 2020. Such a shame those beautiful buildings were lost.

And while I blame the arsonists, I also shame on the city for not intervening and requiring immediate stabilization of the street facades. If this land is immediately developed into a great project, then its a sort of fair trade-off, but if we are left with a huge hole for years on a prime block, then wow...
The sidewalk in front of the buildings is gated off a bit, I believe the next step will be the demo or construction which ever was planned for the building.

Old Posted Feb 16, 2021, 2:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHLtoNYC View Post

The buildings are within the Rittenhouse Historic District. The Historical Commission is requiring the existing facades to be laser scanned and rebuilt using salvaged materials within one year.

Some kind of overbuild may ultimately be built behind them but if all goes to plan, we should be seeing them again within a year after demo.

Also, I don't think its the city's fault per se. The initial plans were to keep the facades intact while rebuilding the interiors. However, last fall the City found the facades to be unstable and stated they must be taken down due to safety concerns. Not entirely sure what the owners' intentions are, but they seem to be dragging their feet...

Old Posted Feb 16, 2021, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busy Bee View Post
Win-Win
That's a stunning amount of density for that block.

I'm ready for it.

Old Posted Feb 16, 2021, 1:26 PM

Quote:
I checked out this McDonald's on Atlas and it looks like the parking lot and building are two separate lots, owned by different entities. Kind of strange...I wonder if both lots will be redeveloped?

Old Posted Feb 16, 2021, 2:08 PM
Chris

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyhigh07 View Post
The buildings are within the Rittenhouse Historic District. The Historical Commission is requiring the existing facades to be laser scanned and rebuilt using salvaged materials within one year.

Some kind of overbuild may ultimately be built behind them but if all goes to plan, we should be seeing them again within a year after demo.

Also, I don't think its the city's fault per se. The initial plans were to keep the facades intact while rebuilding the interiors. However, last fall the City found the facades to be unstable and stated they must be taken down due to safety concerns. Not entirely sure what the owners' intentions are, but they seem to be dragging their feet...
It's not the city's fault for what happened, but these buildings have been sitting (rotting) for 9 months now with no bracing. The city should have immediately braced the front facades of the buildings, that was very much possible in June.

I remember when a famous church burned to a crisp in Manhattan (I forget the name, still under repair in Flat Iron), the city stepped in and braced the exterior walls and the inside was basically a shell. If that church were in Philadelphia, it would have stood rotting for 6 months, and then ultimately be torn down...That's my issue with the city.

But if these buildings are in fact replicated (an overbuild would be nice too), then its fine in the end.

Old Posted Feb 16, 2021, 5:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyTone View Post
Wow they closed that one, thats the last Mc Donalds I thought was gonna close, I thought the one at Girard/Broad would close before that one.
The McDonald's at Broad and Girard is, by far, the WORST McDonald's in the city--in terms of site usage, cleanliness, and customer service. For a second, I thought that McDonald's was on its way out when the gas station was demolished in late 2019. With the CVS at the SW corner now gone, I hope the McDonald's is the next location to bite the dust.

Temple University '18 ']['

Old Posted Feb 16, 2021, 7:47 PM
Tony V / ValuezTV

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilliesPhan View Post
The McDonald's at Broad and Girard is, by far, the WORST McDonald's in the city--in terms of site usage, cleanliness, and customer service. For a second, I thought that McDonald's was on its way out when the gas station was demolished in late 2019. With the CVS at the SW corner now gone, I hope the McDonald's is the next location to bite the dust.
Yea im shocked the Carpenter Mcdonalds wasn't under a histrocial protection or something due to the design.

But yea that Girard-Broad Mcdonalds is probably the worst in the USA. I used to door dash and used to wait at the window for 20 minutes. the cleanliness of it is terrible and the staff is terrible. plus the gas station god it was bad.

Old Posted Feb 16, 2021, 9:57 PM

Came across this interesting article outlining the challenges around the remediation of the refinery site in South Philly.

150 years of spills: Philadelphia refinery cleanup highlights toxic legacy of fossil fuels

Old Posted Feb 17, 2021, 9:08 AM
lost philadelphian soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyTone View Post
Yea im shocked the Carpenter Mcdonalds wasn't under a histrocial protection or something due to the design.

But yea that Girard-Broad Mcdonalds is probably the worst in the USA. I used to door dash and used to wait at the window for 20 minutes. the cleanliness of it is terrible and the staff is terrible. plus the gas station god it was bad.
most likely that's why it's closed down Mcdonald's own all the land their building sit on, so when the company wants to upgrade a property they have no problem closing it down and rebuilding a new updated one. if there are no for sale signs for the lot. then most likely the building is going to be demolished and a new rebuilt.

Old Posted Feb 17, 2021, 3:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirexcaliber View Post
most likely that's why it's closed down Mcdonald's own all the land their building sit on, so when the company wants to upgrade a property they have no problem closing it down and rebuilding a new updated one. if there are no for sale signs for the lot. then most likely the building is going to be demolished and a new rebuilt.
Although that's normally the case, McDonald's doesn't own this property.

It does however, own the parking lot adjacent.

Old Posted Feb 17, 2021, 3:25 PM

McDonalds buildings have a definite end of cycle.

There was an older McDs in Rochester, where we moved from, that had to be demolished and rebuilt because the amount of grease that had seeped into the foundation made it unsafe. Not kidding. That was in the press release.

The age of that McDs on Broad is amazing and the building is a beautiful example of 50s architecture. But the need for density in this stretch makes this location a poor fit.

30 stories or BUST!!

Old Posted Feb 17, 2021, 4:16 PM

Is it true that they hope to replace it with a Wendy's?

Old Posted Feb 17, 2021, 4:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redddog View Post

The age of that McDs on Broad is amazing and the building is a beautiful example of 50s architecture.
I believe it's a "retro" design. I doubt that building is more than 30 years old.

Edit: The site is to the left of this building. You can see there is no McDonalds in 1971.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development