HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Aug 23, 2021, 6:38 PM

Out of curiosity, what was on that site before? In some of the older Street Views, it looks like there were remnants of a driveway or possibly a building's floor there?

Old Posted Aug 23, 2021, 6:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcticwolf View Post
Any pics of what is left behind of 800 Main St?

I'm curious if the building to the left of it was not knocked down as well. I'm talking about the pawnshop either.
They were all still up last evening. Road heading south on Main was completely walled off.

Old Posted Aug 23, 2021, 6:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTA in Winnipeg View Post
They were all still up last evening. Road heading south on Main was completely walled off.

Thank you for the update. One person said it was coming down, but as it turns out by this picture. Nothing has changed. It will be interesting if that small building will stay, I'm sure it will be.

Old Posted Aug 23, 2021, 7:19 PM

I’m curious who do the NIMBY contact to say they’re opposed to development?

Because I also reside in the area and wholly support the 10 story in Markham and Gull Lake and would like to voice my opinion on this as well.

Old Posted Aug 23, 2021, 7:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcticwolf View Post
Thank you for the update. One person said it was coming down, but as it turns out by this picture. Nothing has changed. It will be interesting if that small building will stay, I'm sure it will be.
The police tweeted out that night that that block of Main was closed for a building demolition, guess something delayed it.

Old Posted Aug 23, 2021, 7:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzg View Post
The police tweeted out that night that that block of Main was closed for a building demolition, guess something delayed it.

I understand. I'm starting to believe that pawnshop is actually closed. Knock down that small building right to the pawnshop would be nice and replace it with a low income apartment with commercial on the main floor. I only wish this was to happen. It would certainly clean up the area a little bit with fresh development.

Old Posted Aug 23, 2021, 7:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebasketballgeek View Post

Because I also reside in the area and wholly support the 10 story in Markham and Gull Lake and would like to voice my opinion on this as well.
Ya no kidding – that property is massive, you could probably have a 20 storey tower at the corner of Markham beside the rail wall and it would have zero effect on the houses.

Old Posted Aug 24, 2021, 5:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
Out of curiosity, what was on that site before? In some of the older Street Views, it looks like there were remnants of a driveway or possibly a building's floor there?
A couple decades back there was a City of Winnipeg department of roads yard there if it's the same spot I'm thinking of by the tracks.

Old Posted Aug 24, 2021, 1:46 PM

Quote:
If you don't know where else to go your councilor is a starting point. Normally you need to file notice that you wish to appear at the community committee to hear the zoning change for the property. There you can present your case on the proposal. The committee then votes. I think there can be additional steps after that but its rare to see something blocked at the committee level attempt to move forward.

Old Posted Aug 24, 2021, 6:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biff View Post
The opposition is silly. There is an 8 storey building 650 ft away. The 10 storey building will be sandwiched up against the rail line and all the traffic will go east through the 700 ft of neighborhood before it hits the commercial along Pembina (3 storey apartment buildings). I highly doubt any of the new residents will travel west into the SFD of the existing neighborhood.
Im not sure why residents wouldnt go west. West-ish is three schools and Superstore plus access to the Kenaston area.

I like new development, Im just saying I understand 10 stories being a concern. The talker buildings nearby arent situated on single family residential streets which this, effectively, would be (Gull Lake)

Old Posted Aug 24, 2021, 6:24 PM

Quote:

There is a notice posted on site. Public hearing is Sept 2 at 10:30 am. Looks like the residents against it have an email gulltogether@gmail.com

Old Posted Aug 24, 2021, 6:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bdog View Post
A couple decades back there was a City of Winnipeg department of roads yard there if it's the same spot I'm thinking of by the tracks.
Thats the one. I grew up in Waverley Heights and I dont remember the yard but apparently it was there til into the 80's. Then it was an empty lot ever since and local residents were under the impression it was a future location of a park & ride. I remember as a child asking my parents "ride what?" and they said the plan was always for rapid transit beside the rail line.

Im neither for or against. I understand both sides and generally come down on the pro-development side. Although the remark someone made about the lot being massive with no impact on homes...its literally the same street as numerous single family homes lol The lot is pretty ugly so a development is a good idea. I know some people want a "park" but there are parks/playgrounds close by already.

Perhaps some renders would alleviate concerns. Im not sure the traffic issues would be a big concern. For one, proximity to the transit line would surely be a positive for prospective tenants , most traffic would go east towards Pembina (though not all) and its already a school zone with reduced speed and routine enforcement.

One concern noted was the already congested streets during IGF events. Well, it wont be worse than that and thats not that bad from my own experience though I live far enough away that my street isnt crowded with fans' cars (or fans walking). South Chancellor Dr is far busier as people park and use the access sidewalk to Bison.

Old Posted Aug 24, 2021, 6:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Unknown Poster View Post
Im not sure why residents wouldnt go west. West-ish is three schools and Superstore plus access to the Kenaston area.

I like new development, Im just saying I understand 10 stories being a concern. The talker buildings nearby arent situated on single family residential streets which this, effectively, would be (Gull Lake)
This neighbourhood is fantastic. Built early 60s.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/23...!4d-97.2485885

Old Posted Aug 24, 2021, 7:49 PM

Looks good to me. I doubt this will be stopped. I dont think enough residents will care. 10 homeowners right on the street might but no one else will.

Old Posted Aug 25, 2021, 3:43 AM

I think any complaint of stadium traffic should be immediately dismissed. That close most people are using some form of AT or transit, most fans are taking transit anyway, many streets close to the stadium already have game day restrictions, and it’s 10-12 nights a year (I guess unless the Valour start pulling 20k+…. Still.)

Old Posted Aug 25, 2021, 8:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzg View Post
I think any complaint of stadium traffic should be immediately dismissed. That close most people are using some form of AT or transit, most fans are taking transit anyway, many streets close to the stadium already have game day restrictions, and it’s 10-12 nights a year (I guess unless the Valour start pulling 20k+…. Still.)
Definitely, I used to live in the area and some people would park and walk from Markham. It's not close enough to the stadium to warrant game-day parking restrictions like they did in Fort Richmond or north of campus. Out there you would probably have people congesting the street and circling like vultures for any spot, but not the other side of Pembina. If it really causes congestion issues I'm sure the neighbourhood association can petition the city for changes.

Pre-pandemic most regulars would have their routine to getting to games down pat, whether it was transit, parking or park and walk. It might take a few games to get back into it now, and probably a few more wanting to drive rather than take public transit but that will sort itself out.

No way this proposal will have any significant change to game-day congestion.

Old Posted Aug 25, 2021, 11:44 PM

Old Posted Aug 27, 2021, 12:27 AM

1011 Pembina Renderings

Quote:
Originally Posted by BAKGUY View Post
I am having difficulty locating a render for the 12 floor tower proposal for 1011 Pembina

In The Future Every Building Will Be World-Famous For Fifteen Minutes.

Instagram

Old Posted Aug 27, 2021, 1:07 AM

Eh it gets the job done for density and street presence atleast.

Maybe they should stick a football in the building for tradition.

Old Posted Aug 27, 2021, 1:34 AM

It looks like a cruise ship.

Not that there's anything wrong with that.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan