HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Closed Thread

Old Posted Mar 10, 2021, 7:14 PM
Philly Rising Up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgrath618 View Post
That Fairmount property looks pretty nice actually. The rounded corner really sets it apart.
My old stomping grounds....love all the developments over the years down Fairmount Ave all the way to Broad St.

Old Posted Mar 10, 2021, 10:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iheartphilly View Post
My old stomping grounds....love all the developments over the years down Fairmount Ave all the way to Broad St.
I drove Ridge Avenue this past weekend. Between Fairmount and Girard it's basically wall to wall new development and much of it is of a very very high quality for new construction.

I'm actually puzzled as to how Francisville hasn't yet solidified slash cemented a more cohesive identity yet. Ridge is basically Francisville's "main street" and it's ready to go.

Old Posted Mar 11, 2021, 1:37 AM
build awesome buildings

Quote:
Originally Posted by mih216 View Post
A Giant supermarket
ahhh, i totally forgot about that - thanks! not super exciting but will def get a ton of use. hopefully the apartment project behind it can get going too and the river trail connections can be made sooner rather than later. the completed portions should look great once things start to bud

Old Posted Mar 11, 2021, 1:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3rd&Brown View Post
I drove Ridge Avenue this past weekend. Between Fairmount and Girard it's basically wall to wall new development and much of it is of a very very high quality for new construction.

I'm actually puzzled as to how Francisville hasn't yet solidified slash cemented a more cohesive identity yet. Ridge is basically Francisville's "main street" and it's ready to go.
Ridge on the other side of Broad could use a similar treatment.

Old Posted Mar 11, 2021, 3:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHL10 View Post
Ridge on the other side of Broad could use a similar treatment.
Yeah, I don't disagree but the stretch between Broad and Spring Garden is basically filled in with a few exceptions. The last bit, ironically, that will become anything will be the zone between Spring Garden and Callowhill and that will be held back by pro-"Chinatown North" forces who will hold high quality development back and support infill schlock.

Old Posted Mar 11, 2021, 3:19 PM

Quote:
.... The last bit, ironically, that will become anything will be the zone between Spring Garden and Callowhill and that will be held back by pro-"Chinatown North" forces who will hold high quality development back and support infill schlock.
Is that really a thing?

Old Posted Mar 11, 2021, 4:49 PM
Future World Dictator

Quote:

There needs to be some more destinations IMO, mostly bars/restaurants but some cool retail/etc. would be good too. I think the problem is those areas aren't really expanding much right now (for obvious reasons), particularly into newer/riskier areas. But hopefully in a few months things will change.

Old Posted Mar 11, 2021, 5:03 PM

I read on the Fishtown facebook group that the "The Views at Penn Treaty" project has been abandoned, half-finished because the developers poured the concrete wrong and the foundations started sinking... Anyone know if that's true or not? Would be a shame.

Old Posted Mar 11, 2021, 5:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urbanthusiat View Post
I read on the Fishtown facebook group that the "The Views at Penn Treaty" project has been abandoned, half-finished because the developers poured the concrete wrong and the foundations started sinking... Anyone know if that's true or not? Would be a shame.

Wow, talk about a disaster of a project if true.

In all honesty, I never understood that project. The houses are incredibly expansive starting at $1.9 million. The houses aren't actually in the neighborhood, but on the other side of the highway. Is there really a market for 19-oddly placed $2 million mansions in Philly?

Old Posted Mar 11, 2021, 6:07 PM

Quote:

I think Ridge Ave is going to take off once the pandemic subsides. Believe it or not, several new businesses opened up along the corridor in 2020. So far, we have a new juice bar, coffee shop, clothing store, pharmacy, and a few beauty salons. Additionally, I've been noticing that some of the larger retail spaces have been receiving permits/getting outfitted as of late. The thing that would really get Ridge Ave going is a sit-down restaurant, bar, or craft brewery in a larger space--such as the new building going up at Ridge and Francis, or the other large one going up at Ridge and Ginnodo.

At this point, Francisville is in the late stages of revitalization, as there are very few large and/or vacant parcels left in the neighborhood. Compared to what Ridge Ave looked like at the beginning of the 2010s, it's much better off now--along with the neighborhood itself. We definitely have enough density to support new retail over this decade!

P.S. Speaking of new restaurants, my girl and I will be heading out to a new Asian bar and restaurant that just opened up in our neighborhood: Libertee Grounds. It's right by the corner of 16th and Girard in The Civic (or former St. Joseph's Hospital), and it features a long list of local craft beers (those brewed within a 40 mile radius of the city) and mini golf. I'm stoked to know that a restaurant like this has planted its flag in Francisville!

Temple University '18 ']['

Old Posted Mar 12, 2021, 12:57 AM

^ I think Front St between East Kensington and Norris Square is about to takeoff as a business corridor again. Between Girard and Lehigh (especially around York) is going to start to evolve quickly bc of these new big buildings going up in East Kensington.

Old Posted Mar 12, 2021, 2:32 PM

Quote:
This reinforces my belief that 90% of development in NoLibs/Fishtown is just a couple of guys with a truck.

Old Posted Mar 12, 2021, 3:58 PM

Quote:
I haven't found anyone who knows the backstory, but no one has touched those half-finished houses in well over a year at this point. They've been left partially exposed to the elements the entire time, so I think even if there weren't any problems with the foundations, it's hard to imagine they'd be salvageable, and any buyers they must have secured to kick things off initially have surely walked away. It is definitely a big shame, because it makes developing that edge of the park all the more complicated given that whoever does so now needs to demolish these half-built homes. Crazy to think that 300 apartments might be up and running across the park before anyone can sort out the disaster of 20 houses.

Old Posted Mar 12, 2021, 4:56 PM

Unbelievable.

Old Posted Mar 12, 2021, 11:54 PM

Any one know/have any updates on the old PHA HQ on Chestnut Street? It’s like half the block of one of our busiest streets 2 blocks from Rittenhouse Square is a scene from Children of Men. Last update i could find was Alterra being selected as a developer 5 YEARS AGO. For the record, PHA vacated the property now 15 years ago.

Old Posted Mar 13, 2021, 3:02 AM
Tony V / ValuezTV

FDR Park Renovation Gets $4.5 Million to Build Massive Welcome Center

MSN.COM

A $4.5 million welcome center will become the star of the long-planned renovation of South Philadelphia's crown jewel greenspace, the 348-acre FDR Park, as city officials announced new funding Tuesday.

The center will be erected with the $4.5 million by transforming the existing 5,500-square foot "guardhouse" at the park's entrance on the southwest corner of South Broad Street and Pattison Avenue.

The project announced Tuesday will also remodel the existing stables at the park into a 4,000-square foot cafe and creating a 6,700 square-foot event space overlooking the Pattison Lagoon.

Improvements to the park have been underway since a master plan to renovate the park was announced 18 months ago, including repaving of the interior roads, the addition of bike lanes and the appointment of an executive director.

"We know from speaking with over 3,000 residents in seven languages that when families visit FDR, they want to stay longer and do more," city Parks and Recreation Commissioner Kathryn Ott Lovell said. "The Welcome Center will provide the basic amenities that allow visitors to extend their stay, and so much more with dining, event and education space, and community workspaces."

Old Posted Mar 13, 2021, 7:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Londonee View Post
Any one know/have any updates on the old PHA HQ on Chestnut Street? It’s like half the block of one of our busiest streets 2 blocks from Rittenhouse Square is a scene from Children of Men. Last update i could find was Alterra being selected as a developer 5 YEARS AGO. For the record, PHA vacated the property now 15 years ago.
What's the rush all about? We're not even done with the first developer yet. I wouldn't worry or concern myself about this until we're on at least the third development team, and have a good number of lawsuits floating around. Maybe the Philly Parking Authority can get involved. They're always good for at least a 4 year delay in anything happening.

You're right. I'm surprised CCA or City Council hasn't tried to get it moving. Having something decent built there could make a big difference. Just look at what's being proposed for S. 19th St.

Old Posted Mar 13, 2021, 6:57 PM

Demolition on Point Breeze Avenue, Apartment Building Upcoming

Current site:

Rendering:

Read/view more here:
http://www.ocfrealty.com/naked-phill...lding-upcoming

Old Posted Mar 13, 2021, 6:59 PM

Fishtown is Getting a Flatiron Building at 2401 Frankford Avenue

Current site:

Rendering:

Read/view more here:
http://www.ocfrealty.com/naked-phill...ankford-avenue

Old Posted Mar 13, 2021, 7:00 PM

5th & Passyunk "Flat Iron" building construction progress

Link to article:
http://www.ocfrealty.com/naked-phill...ankford-avenue

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development