HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Closed Thread

Old Posted Oct 15, 2019, 4:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groundhog View Post
Curious, but doubt it's been released - assuming they're copying the Penn Alexander model, have they stated where the catchment would be?
Its SLA- they are in a smaller temporary facility north of Drexel's campus. SLA is magnet- no catchment.

Old Posted Oct 15, 2019, 6:26 PM

Not really development news per se but I'm unreasonably excited about Victory coming to Center City so figured I'd share: Popular Pennsylvania brewery enters Center City with food, bars and a rooftop deck

I can imagine this being a very well attended, being so highly visible in a touristy spot. Goodbye TGI Fridays!

Last edited by Urbanthusiat; Oct 15, 2019 at 8:03 PM.

Old Posted Oct 15, 2019, 6:28 PM

They're finally laying track for the Route 15 in Port Richmond. Super excited for that area.

Old Posted Oct 15, 2019, 6:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardeza View Post
Its SLA- they are in a smaller temporary facility north of Drexel's campus. SLA is magnet- no catchment.
Thanks, so not following with the Penn Alexander model - appreciate the clarification!

Old Posted Oct 15, 2019, 8:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urbanthusiat View Post
Not really development news per se but I'm unreasonably excited about Victory coming to Center City so figured I'd share: Popular Pennsylvania brewery enters Center City with food, bars and a rooftop deck

I can imagine this being a very well attended, being so highly visible in a touristy spot. Goodbye TGI Fridays!

this is nice upgrade- that TGIF hadnt been renovated since opening

Old Posted Oct 15, 2019, 9:56 PM
Philly Rising Up!

^
Damn! 14,000 square foot taproom and brewery. That's yuge!

Old Posted Oct 15, 2019, 11:09 PM

Quote:
this is nice upgrade- that TGIF hadnt been renovated since opening
Allen Iverson is gonna be pissed when he shows up this winter for Sixers games...

Old Posted Oct 16, 2019, 2:35 AM

Quote:
This is not quite right. There are three SLAs. The original SLA in Center City - which you may have seen in the news recently, SLA @ Beeber, and SLA Middle School (which is now temporarily located at 36th & Market.) This new building (I actually think it may be two separate buildings facing each other in a mini-campus) is for Powell Elementary and SLAMS. SLAMS is not a magnet. It is the feeder middle school for Powell, so the catchment will be Powell's catchment, and there is a city-wide lottery to fill any remaining seats.

To make this more confusing, SLA @ Beeber started a middle school last year that is a magnet.

Old Posted Oct 16, 2019, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mja View Post
This is not quite right. There are three SLAs. The original SLA in Center City - which you may have seen in the news recently, SLA @ Beeber, and SLA Middle School (which is now temporarily located at 36th & Market.) This new building (I actually think it may be two separate buildings facing each other in a mini-campus) is for Powell Elementary and SLAMS. SLAMS is not a magnet. It is the feeder middle school for Powell, so the catchment will be Powell's catchment, and there is a city-wide lottery to fill any remaining seats.

To make this more confusing, SLA @ Beeber started a middle school last year that is a magnet.
I see. So only a small % of kids in SLAMS are from outside the neighborhood. was recently talking to a parent whose daughter attends and she is coming from Mt. Airy. Perhaps moving the school will allow for more slots.

Old Posted Oct 16, 2019, 9:09 PM

Just an observation, as well as an out-loud thought...

For those of you who don't live in the neighborhood/aren't aware, the Checker's on North Broad, just north of Girard, has been closed for over a month. It was suddenly shuttered due to L&I violations regarding the integrity of some of the building's walls. Despite what I had perceived to be a high-volume location, it remains closed. I know it may be a pipe dream, but could the property owners possibly be considering either disposing of or developing their property?

With the completion of The Nest, the explosion of Francisville. and the growth of students living in the neighborhood, a sizable development at that location would make sense. North Broad has been changing, and the blocks immediately north and south of Girard Avenue--as well as the blocks west of North Broad--are no exception.

Temple University '18 ']['

Last edited by PhilliesPhan; Oct 16, 2019 at 9:22 PM.

Old Posted Oct 16, 2019, 9:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilliesPhan View Post

For those of you who don't live in the neighborhood/aren't aware, the Checker's on North Broad, just north of Girard, has been closed for over a month. It was suddenly shuttered due to L&I violations regarding the integrity of some of the building's walls. Despite what I had perceived to be a high-volume location, it remains closed. I know it may be a pipe dream, but could the property owners possibly be considering either disposing of or developing their property?

With the completion of The Nest, the explosion of Francisville. and the growth of students living in the neighborhood, a sizeable development at that location would make sense. North Broad has been changing, and the blocks immediately north and south of Girard Avenue--as well as the blocks west of North Broad--are no exception.
That corner is huge, and it only stands to get bigger when the 15 is finished all the way up Richmond. I would love to see something sizable there. Nothing drastic, 200 ft would be fine.

Old Posted Oct 17, 2019, 2:38 AM

Quote:
I see. So only a small % of kids in SLAMS are from outside the neighborhood. was recently talking to a parent whose daughter attends and she is coming from Mt. Airy. Perhaps moving the school will allow for more slots.
There's actually a pretty large number of kids who are attending from outside of the neighborhood catchment. I also don't think more slots is in the cards.

Old Posted Oct 17, 2019, 5:24 AM

We lost the Parkway TGI-Fridays, and now we lost a Checker's?? The assault on appreciated-but-not-something-to-really-fight-for food establishments is nigh.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilliesPhan View Post

With the completion of The Nest, the explosion of Francisville. and the growth of students living in the neighborhood, a sizable development at that location would make sense. North Broad has been changing, and the blocks immediately north and south of Girard Avenue--as well as the blocks west of North Broad--are no exception.

Old Posted Oct 17, 2019, 5:31 AM
Philly Pholly

"Please join the City of Philadelphia, PennDOT, and the Delaware River Waterfront Corporation as we show the latest design ideas for the new Penn's Landing, a future 12 acre public space that will run from Chestnut Street to Walnut Street, Front Street to the River, connecting the city to its waterfront.

Learn about the engineering of the cap, the design evolution, and give your input on how you would use the space. Food, drinks, and children's activities will be provided.

Date And Time
Thu, October 17, 2019

6:00 PM – 8:00 PM EDT

eventbrite.com/e/the-new-penns-landing-public-meeting-and-open-house-tickets-73789531475

Old Posted Oct 17, 2019, 12:41 PM

Just a broad sort of comment re: Victory and that area in general. What the hell is the Archdiocese of Philadelphia waiting for to development their lots (obviously I'm referring to their plans around the Basilica which we have not heard anything about in a year or two).

You've got the Alexander up now, The Temple is beautiful, those $2-2.5 mil townhouses on the other side sold like hot cakes, PMC has the old GSK looking terrific with luxury apts, Victory Brewery now as a neighbor is a great upgrade, the partial capping of Vine St. in Logan Square, the beautiful Sister Cities Park....all of the momentum of North Broad developments close by..., I don't care for that Residences of Race proposal, but still the main point is -- that land they are sitting on HAS NEVER been as valuable as it it right now.
Jesus, make it happen.

Old Posted Oct 17, 2019, 1:05 PM

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
said as a prayer? That might be what's needed----

Old Posted Oct 17, 2019, 1:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jawnadelphia View Post
Just a broad sort of comment re: Victory and that area in general. What the hell is the Archdiocese of Philadelphia waiting for to development their lots (obviously I'm referring to their plans around the Basilica which we have not heard anything about in a year or two).
When has the Church ever been fast to do anything?

Old Posted Oct 17, 2019, 2:07 PM
Philly Rising Up!

^^^
God knows the church needs the money...LOL. Sell it or co-develop it already....

Old Posted Oct 17, 2019, 10:14 PM
Philly Rising Up!

Philadelphia biotech expands Science Center footprint as it adds jobs

https://www.bizjournals.com/philadel..._news_headline

Adding 26k research site to 3624 Market St. bldg is nice. 60 additional scientists focused on antibody research and innovation.

I love science. This is hella good!

Old Posted Oct 18, 2019, 2:44 PM
Cory Trevor Leahy

New stuff in the pipeline:

4240 Chestnut: 7 Stories, 102 Units, 2 floors office

912-14 Arch: 7 Stories, Hotel

801 Aramingo: 4 stories, 11 Units

2932 North Broad: 7 Stories, 135 Units

2016 Cambridge: 5 Stories, 14 Units

This goofus shit got a foundation permit on October 8th

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development