HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan


Reply

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #1  
Old Posted Aug 24, 2022, 5:16 PM
Rutlander Rutlander is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2022
Location: Manitoba
Posts: 40
Winnipeg | Pembina @ Jubilee

All righty: all the stuff going on at or anywhere near this corner. Maybe one day we'll even be talking about Fulton Grove development- haha.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2  
Old Posted Aug 24, 2022, 7:21 PM
zalf zalf is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2020
Posts: 473
Speaking of Fulton Grove, any progress on that front? Last I heard, the developer was threatening to take his ball and go home because the council was making him move the car access to back lanes instead of front access. If I recall, Lukes asked him something to the effect of "Why did you apply for TOD zoning if you were going to insist on front driveways and parking lots?"
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #3  
Old Posted Aug 24, 2022, 11:41 PM
borkborkbork borkborkbork is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 1,054
Quote:
Originally Posted by zalf View Post
Speaking of Fulton Grove, any progress on that front? Last I heard, the developer was threatening to take his ball and go home because the council was making him move the car access to back lanes instead of front access. If I recall, Lukes asked him something to the effect of "Why did you apply for TOD zoning if you were going to insist on front driveways and parking lots?"
Where is Fulton Grove exactly? I somehow missed this story.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #4  
Old Posted Aug 25, 2022, 12:13 AM
thebasketballgeek's Avatar
thebasketballgeek thebasketballgeek is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Winnipeg
Posts: 1,241
Quote:
Originally Posted by borkborkbork View Post
Where is Fulton Grove exactly? I somehow missed this story.
It’s the Parker Lands
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #5  
Old Posted Aug 25, 2022, 1:13 AM
zalf zalf is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2020
Posts: 473
Yeah, transit-oriented development around Beaumont Station. Unlike the stuff around Fort Rouge Station, this one was to have some appreciable mixed-use density toward the eastern end of the site.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #6  
Old Posted Aug 25, 2022, 3:33 AM
Gravity Wins Gravity Wins is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2019
Posts: 112
May I suggest a more precise thread title? Keep in mind this is a Manitoba + Sask forum
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #7  
Old Posted Aug 25, 2022, 11:49 AM
Rutlander Rutlander is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2022
Location: Manitoba
Posts: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gravity Wins View Post
May I suggest a more precise thread title? Keep in mind this is a Manitoba + Sask forum
Yes, I should have titled it Winnipeg | Pembina @ Jubilee
Thanks for pointing this out.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #8  
Old Posted Aug 25, 2022, 12:48 PM
Biff's Avatar
Biff Biff is offline
What could go wrong?
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Winnipeg
Posts: 8,207
Quote:
Originally Posted by borkborkbork View Post
Where is Fulton Grove exactly? I somehow missed this story.
South across the tracks from WalMart/Sobey's on Taylor.



__________________
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #9  
Old Posted Aug 25, 2022, 1:33 PM
borkborkbork borkborkbork is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 1,054
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebasketballgeek View Post
It’s the Parker Lands
ohhhh this is a GEM Equities story isn't it

there is truly no development they cannot somehow mangle
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #10  
Old Posted Aug 25, 2022, 1:39 PM
borkborkbork borkborkbork is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 1,054
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biff View Post
South across the tracks from WalMart/Sobey's on Taylor.


phase 1: a bunch of shitty stucco SFR, build immediately
phase 2: some 5-over-1s surrounded by parking lots, maybe build in 5-10 years
phase 3: actual density we include in the render to convince city planners we're not just building another sprawling suburb but have no actual plans to build

Reply With Quote
     
     
  #11  
Old Posted Aug 25, 2022, 2:39 PM
zalf zalf is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2020
Posts: 473
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rutlander View Post
Yes, I should have titled it Winnipeg | Pembina @ Jubilee
Thanks for pointing this out.
Perhaps a passing mod can tweak this.

---

In the event GEM makes good on its threat, and they formally walked away from the project today, how quickly could someone else get shovels into the ground?
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #12  
Old Posted Aug 25, 2022, 3:11 PM
esquire's Avatar
esquire esquire is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Posts: 35,257
Quote:
Originally Posted by borkborkbork View Post
ohhhh this is a GEM Equities story isn't it

there is truly no development they cannot somehow mangle
They got people sort-of excited when they renovated those old apartments off McPhillips some 15-odd years ago. But everything since then has pretty well been an f-cluster.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #13  
Old Posted Aug 25, 2022, 5:01 PM
Biff's Avatar
Biff Biff is offline
What could go wrong?
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Winnipeg
Posts: 8,207
The tread title should probably read:

Winnipeg | Pembina Hwy Developments

That way it will cover all developments along Pembina as there are many more south of Jubilee.
__________________
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #14  
Old Posted Aug 25, 2022, 5:23 PM
Biff's Avatar
Biff Biff is offline
What could go wrong?
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Winnipeg
Posts: 8,207
Projects on Pembina or just off since 2020 and current.

3021 Pembina – Halo - 2 towers 16 & 15 Storeys, 406 Units - U/C
65 Kirkbridge – 11 Storeys, 158 Units - Pre-Construction
2737 Pembina – The Bolt – 8 Storeys, 181 Units – U/C
2525 Pembina – The Arc – 16 Storeys, 352 Units – Built
2537 Pembina – Align Student Residences – 16 Storeys, 349 Units – U/C
Markham & Gull Lake – 2 Bldgs, 8 & 4 Storeys, 229 Units – Zoning
949 Chancellor – 7 Storeys, 95 Units – Zoning
920 Chancellor – The Melody - 5 Storeys, 98 Units – Complete
30 University Cres – 7 Storeys, 104 Units – Compete
1792 Pembina – The Onyx 2 – 16 Storeys, 112 Units – Zoning
1792 Pembina – The Onyx – 6 Storeys, 282 Units - Complete
1125 Pembina – The Point on Pembina – 6 Storeys, 76 Units – U/C
1022 Pembina – Cambridge Hotel Site – 6 Storeys, 87 Units – Zoning
1011 Pembina – Pemby Site – 12 Storeys, 226 Units – Pre-Construction
__________________
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #15  
Old Posted Aug 25, 2022, 7:10 PM
thebasketballgeek's Avatar
thebasketballgeek thebasketballgeek is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Winnipeg
Posts: 1,241
^I agree with Biff the development on Pembina south of Bishop is just as intriguing as what’s going on near Jubilee.

Which makes me very curious to why there has been virtually zero development on Pembina north of Jubilee as long as I’ve been alive?

I know once you get past Grant it turns into car dealership hell, but there’s so many parking lots there I’m sure some of those could be developed into 15+ storey buildings. It’s not like the neighbourhoods adjacent to Pembina are even that bad. Imo they just need to somehow provide pedestrian/AT access either above ground or underground (like how they connect Glenmeadow on Bishop) from Pembina to Fort Rouge and Jubilee station to get the ball rolling.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #16  
Old Posted Aug 25, 2022, 7:14 PM
Brule-le Brule-le is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2020
Location: Inner Space, mine
Posts: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biff View Post
Projects on Pembina or just off since 2020 and current.

3021 Pembina – Halo - 2 towers 16 & 15 Storeys, 406 Units - U/C
65 Kirkbridge – 11 Storeys, 158 Units - Pre-Construction
2737 Pembina – The Bolt – 8 Storeys, 181 Units – U/C
2525 Pembina – The Arc – 16 Storeys, 352 Units – Built
2537 Pembina – Align Student Residences – 16 Storeys, 349 Units – U/C
Markham & Gull Lake – 2 Bldgs, 8 & 4 Storeys, 229 Units – Zoning
949 Chancellor – 7 Storeys, 95 Units – Zoning
920 Chancellor – The Melody - 5 Storeys, 98 Units – Complete
30 University Cres – 7 Storeys, 104 Units – Compete
1792 Pembina – The Onyx 2 – 16 Storeys, 112 Units – Zoning
1792 Pembina – The Onyx – 6 Storeys, 282 Units - Complete
1125 Pembina – The Point on Pembina – 6 Storeys, 76 Units – U/C
1022 Pembina – Cambridge Hotel Site – 6 Storeys, 87 Units – Zoning
1011 Pembina – Pemby Site – 12 Storeys, 226 Units – Pre-Construction
The Onyx 2 at 1792 Pembina? Where are they squeezing that in?
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #17  
Old Posted Aug 25, 2022, 7:30 PM
damnedmenno damnedmenno is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2021
Posts: 25
Now just imagine the possibilities if that Rapid Transit went down Pembina as it was originally planned and not that lousy misbegotten dumbass dog leg! Who knows we might have seen some real TOD!
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #18  
Old Posted Aug 25, 2022, 9:26 PM
wags_in_the_peg's Avatar
wags_in_the_peg wags_in_the_peg is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Winnipeg, MB
Posts: 2,663
the piece of crap Royal Sports building and it's overly huge adjacent parking lot is ripe for development. the contents of what inside that Royal Sports building is huge. I enjoy shopping there I may add for both kids hockey stuff and clothing for me
__________________
just an ordinary Prairie Boy who loves to be in the loop on what is going on
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #19  
Old Posted Aug 25, 2022, 9:52 PM
esquire's Avatar
esquire esquire is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Posts: 35,257
Quote:
Originally Posted by wags_in_the_peg View Post
the piece of crap Royal Sports building and it's overly huge adjacent parking lot is ripe for development. the contents of what inside that Royal Sports building is huge. I enjoy shopping there I may add for both kids hockey stuff and clothing for me
Agreed. It's a good shop but it looks abandoned. They are either unwilling or unable to maintain it.

But that does speak to Mr. Geek's point. In other parts of town, a run down old car dealership space like that might get redeveloped. But there haven't been any significant developments on Pembina between Jubilee and Corydon as far back as I can recall (maybe about 35 years?). Why is that?
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #20  
Old Posted Aug 26, 2022, 2:37 AM
Rutlander Rutlander is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2022
Location: Manitoba
Posts: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biff View Post
The tread title should probably read:

Winnipeg | Pembina Hwy Developments

That way it will cover all developments along Pembina as there are many more south of Jubilee.
I wanted to start this thread to draw attention to a particular area and the vast changes that are taking place within walking distance of the Pembina/Jubilee hub in every direction. This intersection is bordered by areas with long histories and deep senses of community that are not really connected to the Pembina south of Bishop Grandin.
Reply With Quote
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Reply

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan
Forum Jump


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 6:27 AM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2023, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.