HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Posted Dec 3, 2019, 5:47 PM
New Yorker for life

https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&url=...AAAAAdAAAAABAD

https://www.6sqft.com/east-midtown-g...breaks-ground/

East Midtown Greenway, $100M link in a connected Manhattan waterfront loop, breaks ground

NOVEMBER 25, 2019
BY MICHELLE COHEN

Quote:
The creation of the East Midtown Greenway (EMG), a 1.5-acre public space stretching from East 53rd to 61st Streets along the waterfront, got underway Friday.
The project, to be completed by 2022, is part of the Manhattan Waterfront Greenway initiative to wrap the entire perimeter of Manhattan with accessible public spaces
and safe bicycle paths. The midtown space will close one of the largest remaining gaps in the $250 million city initiative, announced by Mayor de Blasio in 2018,
to connect 32 miles of Manhattan waterfront esplanade.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Dec 3, 2019, 6:24 PM
Show me the blueprints

Looks nice, I think curbed showed some of these a month back or so. The only thing better would be a buried FDR. Maybe one of these days.

There is no goodness in him, and his power to convince people otherwise is beyond understanding

Old Posted Dec 3, 2019, 6:36 PM

Finally. This is ridiculously overdue.

Manhattan is finally almost completely circled by a waterfront path. Just a few missing pieces left.

Old Posted Dec 3, 2019, 8:10 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawford View Post
Finally. This is ridiculously overdue.

Manhattan is finally almost completely circled by a waterfront path. Just a few missing pieces left.
I like biking along the Manhattan waterfront, but there are too many gaps on the eastside, mainly above 34th Street. It will be nice once this is finally completed, but yeah, long overdue

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Dec 4, 2019, 1:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busy Bee View Post
Looks nice, I think curbed showed some of these a month back or so. The only thing better would be a buried FDR. Maybe one of these days.
Tearing down the elevated segments and turning the FDR into a conventional boulevard would be better.

Old Posted Dec 4, 2019, 3:00 PM
Show me the blueprints

So none of the benefits of speed and limited access while still serving as a 150 foot wide auto sewer barrier to the waterfront? Sounds like the West Side Highway, no thanks.

There is no goodness in him, and his power to convince people otherwise is beyond understanding

Old Posted Dec 4, 2019, 4:45 PM

Quote:
So none of the benefits of speed and limited access while still serving as a 150 foot wide auto sewer barrier to the waterfront? Sounds like the West Side Highway, no thanks.
Whenever I'm sitting in traffic on the FDR (anytime I've used it) I can't say I've been overly impressed by the speed it supposedly affords.

And no, I would not design it's replacement like the West Side Highway/West St.

Old Posted Dec 9, 2019, 3:32 PM

Hopefully this proposal helps to speed up commute time and ease congestion. Along with the city's "Fast Forward" initiative, NYC needs major upgrades in order to catch up to other metropolitan cities (most of which offer cleaner and quicker commutes).

I visit NYC (one of the greatest cities in the world, IMHO) at least 2 times a year for business, and I am always shocked at how the transport system has fallen behind compared to many cities in other developed nations.

Old Posted Dec 9, 2019, 4:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mankato View Post
Hopefully this proposal helps to speed up commute time and ease congestion. Along with the city's "Fast Forward" initiative, NYC needs major upgrades in order to catch up to other metropolitan cities (most of which offer cleaner and quicker commutes).

I visit NYC (one of the greatest cities in the world, IMHO) at least 2 times a year for business, and I am always shocked at how the transport system has fallen behind compared to many cities in other developed nations.
I seriously doubt an extended waterfront walkway will make a difference with commute times and congestion. It isn't like you can't walk/bike this distance already.

And NYC's overall transport network has been lagging for 70 years, primarily due to very stupid decisions made after WW2. Has nothing really to do with any changes in recent decades.

Old Posted Dec 9, 2019, 4:26 PM
Show me the blueprints

Blame this old trout:

_

Old Posted Dec 18, 2019, 3:56 AM

I thought the green light was for a full flood barrier to defend Manhattan against sea level rise. Or is this just the first part of the $1.5billion project?
https://www.6sqft.com/east-river-flo...m-nyc-council/

Old Posted Jan 9, 2020, 10:24 PM

I drive from the UES to Jersey City reasonably often. I can usually get down the FDR and out onto West Street pretty quickly mid day. I just avoid anything vaguely like rush hour. It's a damn sight faster than going down the West Side.

Quote:
Originally Posted by k1052 View Post
Whenever I'm sitting in traffic on the FDR (anytime I've used it) I can't say I've been overly impressed by the speed it supposedly affords.

And no, I would not design it's replacement like the West Side Highway/West St.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2020, 12:06 AM

Good to see they used some trees to help with sound mitigation.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2020, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by k1052 View Post
Tearing down the elevated segments and turning the FDR into a conventional boulevard would be better.
I totally agree.

I hate how the highways in NY block the city from the waterfront. Another exemple of how the car culture/dominance degrades the cities.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2020, 2:25 PM
Show me the blueprints

Having a "traditional blvd" on the waterfront doesn't really improve access to the waterfront. Does the West Side Hwy really not feel like a barrier? If done in a manner that would all but guarantee it would never flood, trenching/burial/capping is the answer to return the waterfront to human beings.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2020, 4:21 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Terra forming could aid, but would be insanely expensive.

Old Posted Jan 21, 2020, 4:52 PM

Quote:
Having a "traditional blvd" on the waterfront doesn't really improve access to the waterfront. Does the West Side Hwy really not feel like a barrier? If done in a manner that would all but guarantee it would never flood, trenching/burial/capping is the answer to return the waterfront to human beings.
Boulevards don't do anything and the proof is this terrible and pedestrian hostile implementation on the west side. Ok.

The motto for NYC should be "We barely tried it, and badly, so it doesn't work" at this point.

Old Posted Jan 21, 2020, 5:24 PM

Quote:
This was planned for the West Side in the 70's and 80's (Westway) but NIMBYs killed it. There was a more limited proposal after 9-11, restricted to Lower Manhattan, but corporations, fearing truck bombs in the aftermath of the terror attacks, killed it.

And I disagree re. boulevards. The current Westway (whatever it's now called) is vastly better than its (elevated, freeway-like) predecessor. It's walkable and bike-friendly, with slow speeds and lots of traffic lights and pedestrian crossings.

Old Posted Jun 2, 2020, 2:10 PM
New Yorker for life

One of the new sites that opened up last year that I usually bike around.

Mud Boy

Old Posted Jun 25, 2020, 1:25 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Three ‘Ribbon’ Bike & Pedestrian Bridges For NYC Are More Than A Coronavirus-Concocted Fantasy

Quote:
A wisp of a bridge, suspended by cables, 20-feet wide with a lane for cyclists, and one for people walking. It would stretch from Long Island City, stop on Roosevelt Island that would be accessible by elevator, before gracefully landing on the future East Midtown Greenway, or taking over exit 8 on the FDR at 41st Street.

“A very light ribbon crossing the river. And that’s why we call it the Queens Ribbon,” he said.

The other two bridges would go from Brooklyn Bridge Park, stretching to Governor’s Island before stopping down in the Financial District. The last one would stretch from either Hoboken or Jersey City to midtown Manhattan.

To Schwartz, COVID-19 was “a wake-up call,” one that led him to dream of wispy ribbon bridges crisscrossing the city’s waterways.

But this isn’t just anybody’s quarantine fantasy of how the city should redesign itself for a better post-COVID future. Schwartz is a former commissioner of the Department of Transportation. And he knows people. He enlisted the firmTY Lin International to draft plans for his ribbon bridge concept. And he got an assist from the NYU Tandon School of Engineering and its Institute of Design and Construction Innovation led by Michael Horodniceanu, the former head of capital construction at the MTA who oversaw the Second Avenue subway extension.

“There is a need for us to make sure that we increase the ability of people to cross into Manhattan utilizing additional bridges,” Horodniceanu said. “We’re going to create a different paradigm of moving people,” without adding cars.

[...]

Schwartz thinks the new bridges could be built in the next decade, and would cost about $100 million dollars each. Despite the tough financial outlook right now, he said it was a bargain.

“We spend far more than that for the roadways on any of the East River bridges, so this looks like a great investment to me,” he said.

He would need support from the city and state but Schwartz said he’s buoyed by Governor Andrew Cuomo’s enthusiasm for bridge building. He thinks his proposal would appeal to Cuomo’s penchant for doing things that haven’t been done for a long time.
========================
https://gothamist.com/news/three-rib...lTZWOBynREuH6s

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development