HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Old Posted Dec 30, 2009, 5:49 PM

I dont have the time sadly, but it would be interesting to see % ridership in comparison to population size. The reason I wonder how the ranking would pan out like this is because cities like LA seem to have a very low usage to population ratio.

Old Posted Dec 30, 2009, 9:37 PM
Mile High Guy

The West Corridor line in Denver is currently under construction now and adds something like 12 miles. The East Corridor line is about to start construction and adds something like 23 miles; and this is the line going from downtown to the airport terminal. The other lines will probably take longer than expected, but the West and East corridor lines will be completed on time.

Old Posted Dec 31, 2009, 12:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by delts145 View Post
I haven't been paying allot of attention to Denver's or Phoenix's systems as far as current construction. I know Salt Lake's will be greatly expanded in the near future, but is there a substantial amount of current expansion being undertaken in either Phoenix or Denver?

Also, to the the 2.5 times larger metro remark with Denver. Obviously we're not counting the million and a quarter to the north and south as a conjoined metro. Does Denver's light rail currently reach out to corresponding cities at a distance, such as Provo or Ogden metros?
Right, because Trax doesn't expand outside of the Salt Lake metro.

www.UtahProjects.info

Old Posted Jan 2, 2010, 9:20 AM

A few things from UTA's youtube channel:

First, testing of the new 500 mph service on FrontRunner north
Video Link

Video Link

Also, starting at about 1:50 in this video update for the mid-jordan line, they say that the sections of track around Daybreak should now be complete and that testing on those sections with the new Siemens cars should begin in "early 2010", so we should be able to see them soon:
Video Link

Last edited by esirhgih; Jan 2, 2010 at 9:32 AM.

Old Posted Jan 2, 2010, 9:56 PM

Glad we're finally getting the world's fastest commuter train.

www.UtahProjects.info

Old Posted Jan 2, 2010, 10:41 PM

500 mph???? what??

Old Posted Jan 2, 2010, 11:39 PM
Chairman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orlando View Post
500 mph???? what??
I was thinking the same thing. HSR's in Europe do not even travel that fast. Not even close to that speed.

-sb

Old Posted Jan 2, 2010, 11:44 PM

LOL.. guys, that was just the regular train with the footage sped up.

Old Posted Jan 3, 2010, 1:19 AM

^It was a joke.

Old Posted Jan 3, 2010, 6:20 AM
Chairman

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Martin View Post
^It was a joke.
Obviously I did not get it.

-sb

Old Posted Jan 3, 2010, 6:56 AM
Exit 298

Yes, I also love I-15's new 450 MPH speed limit through Davis County (as seen in the passing traffic).

Old Posted Jan 3, 2010, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by i-215 View Post

Yes, I also love I-15's new 450 MPH speed limit through Davis County (as seen in the passing traffic).
You must be one of those jerks that only goes 75-80mph.

www.UtahProjects.info

Old Posted Jan 4, 2010, 2:11 PM

2000s: The First Decade — 10 years of heavy traffic

By road and rail, Utahns were on the move in '00s

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/7...y-traffic.html

Passengers walk to the train for a ride on FrontRunner commuter rail in Woods Cross. The commuter-rail line, launched in 2008, runs from Salt Lake City to Pleasant View. Ravell Call, Deseret News

To view interactive transit map, click here http://www.deseretnews.com/utah/decade-of-construction

Trapped in gridlock, the pace is stop-and-slow.

The exit to the right is closed. So are the next 10 exits after that. Up ahead, the left lane is merging into traffic. Concrete barriers all around, and here comes the snow. Slick conditions. Remember the luge? ...

Traffic on I-80 eastbound is narrowed to one lane as a bridge at Highland Drive is being repaired, June 14, 2005. Major construction projects highlighted the decade in Utah. (Tom Smart, Deseret News)

Old Posted Jan 4, 2010, 5:14 PM
Exit 298

If the valley suddenly had "light-to-no traffic," I'd be very concerned. Rapture? (Nah, this is Utah )

Old Posted Jan 5, 2010, 1:43 PM

New section of I-15 to open

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/7...5-to-open.html

SALT LAKE CITY — ...The Utah Department of Transportation plans to open a new, clearly marked concrete section of the interstate within the next week or two, agency spokesman Adan Carrillo said Monday....

...The $125 million project, which will add express lanes to I-15 in both directions from 500 North in Salt Lake County to I-215 in Davis County, began in October 2008. It is expected to be completed in the fall.

Old Posted Jan 13, 2010, 1:51 PM

UTA taking comments on TRAX extention plans

The Associated Press

DRAPER » Transportation officials are taking public input on plans to extend Utah Transit Authority's TRAX line.

A draft environmental analysis has been completed for extending the existing rail line from Sandy to Draper.

UTA is proposing to initially build a short operable segment by 2015 and then extend it at a later date.

The study is available for public review and comment until Feb. 5.

UTA and the Federal Transit Administration will hold a public hearing on the draft plan Wednesday night in Draper. Another will be held Thursday night in Sandy.

----

On the Net:

www.rideuta.com.

Old Posted Jan 13, 2010, 1:57 PM

Second transit link in the works near Fireclay

Redevelopment » Murray leaders want former smelter site to be an environmentally-friendly draw.

By Jennifer W. Sanchez
The Salt Lake Tribune

Murray» It used to be a contaminated smelter site, but Murray leaders want it to become one of the state's best areas to live, work and shop. And nearby public transportation factors into the plan.

The Fireclay Redevelopment Project is made up of almost 100 acres on the north side of the city along Big Cottonwood Creek. It borders Salt Lake County, which is working on its own revitalization project in the area.

And a FrontRunner commuter rail station is under construction near the Murray North TRAX station at Fireclay Ave., 4400 South 71 West, which was built 10 years ago.

Mayor Dan Snarr said more people want to be environmentally friendly by living in a transit-oriented development where they can walk around and be close to public transportation.

"I hope it puts us on the map," he said. "I think this is what the future holds."

The project site in 2005 was valued at $20 million. When the area is eventually completed, city officials expect its worth to increase to roughly $200 million.

Tim Tingey, Murray community and economic development director, said the city wants to promote a residential and commercial area to capitalize on the TRAX stop. The land, mostly aging buildings and fields, was underutilized, he said.

"We're excited about the area and its potential," he said.

The city adopted the project's plan in 2005. Most of the area was cleaned up years ago, but there was still work to be done and it was a challenge to get developers who were willing to do it, Snarr said.

Hamlet Homes, a developer, spent about $1.5 million to clean up 16 acres. The company will eventually be reimbursed, Snarr said.

In all, Hamlet Homes bought and plans to develop 30 acres -- about a third of the area -- which will include some buildings with housing above the stores, 41 condos and 191 townhouses, Tingey said.

Only one residential-commercial building, which is a part of Birkhill at Fireclay, is completed so far and includes condos starting at $170,000.

Birkhill at Fireclay, 4276 S. Main St., won a 2009 Governor's Quality Growth Award from Envision Utah, a nonprofit group that promotes quality growth.

A second developer, Fireclay Investment Partners, plans to buy 26 acres and build about 670 residential units and commercial space.

Old Posted Jan 21, 2010, 5:25 PM
Ascension

I really love what SLC is doing in terms of rail transportation. Does anyone know when the new TRAX cars will come into service?

Old Posted Jan 21, 2010, 8:08 PM

The new cars are to go into service when the new lines begin to open. Testing begins this year on a portion of the mid-jordan line and we may see them for the first time then.

In the meantime, here are some new renderings for the Airport line to whet your appetite:

Old Posted Jan 22, 2010, 1:22 AM

Preliminary draft for the North Temple Boulevard Plan is online at northtempleboulevard.com

Last edited by cololi; Jan 22, 2010 at 2:11 AM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West