HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Feb 18, 2017, 4:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper View Post
Not behind. I'm glad Toronto has waited for the technology to come to a point where they don't have to give up the classic acorn head light standard. The light standard outside your window should produce a bright white light.
Those lights don't exist where I live (see my location).

Old Posted Feb 18, 2017, 2:31 PM
Moran supreme

Quote:
Originally Posted by manny_santos View Post
Those lights don't exist where I live (see my location).
Is this another X-files episode in the making - where are the classic acorn head lighting fixtures going in Toronto, they are supposed to be in Toronto but now they aren't?

Old Posted Feb 18, 2017, 3:44 PM
I am the law!

Only the older parts of Toronto has acorn lighting. It's not on every street in those areas either. At some point in the past, they must have decided to modernize and started replacing them with cobra heads. There's a street nearby that had cobra lighting that apparently has been recently switched to LED. Now I'm curious how it looks.

I'm hopeful the eventual switch to LED will also potentially lead to system upgrades which will bury more wires and replace poles.

Old Posted Feb 18, 2017, 4:10 PM
sick transit, gloria

Apparently they started replacing the acorns with sodium vapour cobra heads and there was enough of an outcry that they stopped and upgraded the bulbs in the acorns instead. I feel like spacing magazine had an article outlining the history of this at some point but I can't find it.

Most of Parkdale was converted to cobra heads so hopefully it's on the shortlist for LED.

Old Posted Feb 18, 2017, 4:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mousquet View Post
Yes, big big, nasty big deal. Somehow, life is connected to this mess, and all over the world. From some spot to another, then to another one spot, and so on and on. It's all connected. Even remote places depend on one another.

You know what? If we keep doing arrogant things like this here, guys like you, or maybe not you, but those who'll come after you will be in a situation like they merely have no more right to live.

So, when you're a mindful, normally balanced person, you just say the environment first, even when it should ruin one's fucking pride.
I think you get it, basically.

Old Posted Feb 18, 2017, 7:56 PM
♒︎ Empirically Canadian

Speaking of streetlights, I keep encountering a high number of lights not working in Vancouver. It seems to go on for multiple blocks and weeks or months at a time. I wonder why this is and if it's common elsewhere?

Old Posted Feb 18, 2017, 9:15 PM

I feel the white light suits the acorn heads whereas the orange light suits the cobra heads. If they switch to LED I hope they opt for a warmer white LED on a dimmer setting.

I also love the industrial bucket style lights you sometimes see in Toronto (and midwest US) alleyways. It'd be a shame to see those get upgraded.

Last edited by yaletown_fella; Feb 18, 2017 at 9:32 PM.

Old Posted Feb 19, 2017, 8:13 AM

Before and after:

Half the street with LEDs (in the distance):

Old Posted Feb 19, 2017, 12:12 PM
See ya down under, mates

North Vancouver is updating wherever there's construction it seems, so virtually everywhere. Its so nice in places where it never stops raining. My area has had a huge problem with pedestrians getting run over at night because old/bad drivers can't even see them. LED makes a huge difference.

Examples:

New Lynn Creek bridge

Lynn Creek Bridge, North Vancouver by chrisjohann, on Flickr

Lonsdale (main drag)

Wallace & McDowell, North Vancouver by chrisjohann, on Flickr

Ironworkers Bridge to Vancouver proper

Old Posted Feb 19, 2017, 2:58 PM
I am the law!

I checked out the street lighting on my way home from the watering hole. I was the least impressed with the LED lights used in Toronto. Everything that has been said about it is true. It blinds the peripherals and is too focused on one spot. A streetlamp on every other post doesn't work with LED.

The high pressure sodium offered the best glow. The colour is awful and the dispersal of light may have been a result of the cobra head light. My favourite is still the Acorn's cool white metal halide. Metal Halide has a short life span so, the one bonus with LED would be actual functioning lights.

Old Posted Feb 20, 2017, 1:57 AM

The city replaced the acorn lights with cool white LED fixtures on Shaw Street (near Christie & Bloor) Hopefully theres a way to remove or program the bulbs to only illuminate 50% of the diodes.

Old Posted Feb 20, 2017, 4:58 PM
Hammer'd

Hamilton did all major city streets a few years back. Side streets are still conventional lighting.

https://www.hamilton.ca/streets-tran...treet-lighting
"Above all, Hamilton must learn to think like a city, not a suburban hybrid where residents drive everywhere. What makes Hamilton interesting is the fact it's a city. The sprawl that surrounds it, which can be found all over North America, is running out of time."

Old Posted Feb 21, 2017, 1:37 AM

Is there a city in Canada larger than Timmins that has had ALL of its streetlights replaced with LEDs?

I'm just surprised given then potential savings. Our city pays its electricity bill to Hydro One so maybe that's why!

Old Posted Feb 21, 2017, 2:33 AM
Moran supreme

LED lights Calgary is using in residential areas are not the bright white ones or at least recently - they almost seem to have a bit of a orange hue to them.

Old Posted Feb 21, 2017, 4:12 AM
Go Tall or Go Home

Quote:
Originally Posted by towerseeker101 View Post
Before and after:

Wow! That photo makes a great case in support of LED streetlights without even taking into account the exponential increase in efficiency.

I'm not getting the love for acorn & bucket type heads in Toronto. I much prefer a modern looking light fixture. Just personal preference I guess. I do agree with hopefully getting more power lines underground as conversions take place.

Old Posted Feb 21, 2017, 4:20 AM
Go Tall or Go Home

Our neighbourhood here in Calgary switched to LED in the last year and it was instantly noticeable. Right away it took me back to my childhood and the mercury vapour lamps.
I like the color of the new LED's - like speedog said, bit of a warmer white.

I've noticed the provincial highways within Calgary (Deerfoot & Stoney) have not converted to LED yet. In some cases you can tell where the Provincial jurisdiction ends and the City's begins on the off ramps by the color of light from the street lamps.

Old Posted Feb 21, 2017, 4:51 AM
Moran supreme

Quote:
Originally Posted by craner View Post
Our neighbourhood here in Calgary switched to LED in the last year and it was instantly noticeable. Right away it took me back to my childhood and the mercury vapour lamps.
I like the color of the new LED's - like speedog said, bit of a warmer white.

I've noticed the provincial highways within Calgary (Deerfoot & Stoney) have not converted to LED yet. In some cases you can tell where the Provincial jurisdiction ends and the City's begins on the off ramps by the color of light from the street lamps.
4th Street NW in Calgary from 40th Avenue to McKnight Boulevard is warm LaeD on one side and sodium on the other side - I'll take the LED.

Sodium on left, LED on right.

Last edited by speedog; Feb 21, 2017 at 6:21 AM.

Old Posted Feb 21, 2017, 5:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loco101 View Post
Is there a city in Canada larger than Timmins that has had ALL of its streetlights replaced with LEDs?

I'm just surprised given then potential savings. Our city pays its electricity bill to Hydro One so maybe that's why!
Kingston (pop 125,000) has completed the transition.

Old Posted Feb 21, 2017, 3:22 PM
I am the law!

Quote:
Originally Posted by craner View Post
Wow! That photo makes a great case in support of LED streetlights without even taking into account the exponential increase in efficiency.

I'm not getting the love for acorn & bucket type heads in Toronto. I much prefer a modern looking light fixture. Just personal preference I guess. I do agree with hopefully getting more power lines underground as conversions take place.
I like the simplicity and timeless look of Toronto's venerable street light. It's just a simple aluminum goose neck with a simple acorn head with a gum drop shaped glass cover. It's my favourite out of the endless variations and different light fixtures used in Toronto. The metal halide light is bright white so colour is a non issue.

LED test fixtures have no style at all.

Old Posted Feb 21, 2017, 3:55 PM
It's Hammer Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt602 View Post
Hamilton did all major city streets a few years back. Side streets are still conventional lighting.

https://www.hamilton.ca/streets-tran...treet-lighting
You can really notice the difference when looking from above the escarpment. That's James Street North.

mattgrande
http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...&postcount=140

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada