HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos

Old Posted Feb 9, 2015, 8:11 PM

A postcard of Lincoln Mercury dealer Manchester Motors at 917 W Manchester Avenue in the 1950s (the hanging sign mentions the 1957 Mercury).

eBay

Here's their entry from the 1956 CD.

LAPL

Today, there's no trace of the building.

Old Posted Feb 9, 2015, 8:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JScott View Post
Is it Lugo House or Lugo Adobe? I know the two names refer to different buildings, but I always seem to get them confused.

What a truly fabulous picture. I could (and probably will) spend the whole day just gazing at the magnified details, especially the views in the far distance. I can hardly recognize the topography in its as-yet undeveloped state.
Yes please zoom in on the sign on the building to the far right and tell us what it sez.

The Lugo Adobe usually refers to the Lugo's Rancho San Antonio home. The one on the plaza is commonly called in later years the Lugo House and was made of fired brick as can be seen in E_R's photo. A lot of people assumed it was made of adobe because it once was. Possibly some of the old adobe remained. It's unclear.

color image of lugo house demolition 1951 http://publishing.cdlib.org/ucpresse...doc.view=print

Old Posted Feb 9, 2015, 8:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HossC View Post
ETA: I've just noticed that the USC caption for the image I posted is "View of the Los Angeles Plaza from the Mission Los Angeles toward the Lugo House".
I think this was probably taken from the five-story, 1888 Brunswig building, not from Plaza Church (never a "mission").

Old Posted Feb 9, 2015, 8:39 PM

Thanks for figuring out the location of my 'Arden bus bench' snapshot oldstuff.

eBay

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldstuff View Post
Directly across Sunset from the bus bench is a brick building, which is only partly seen in the original photo. It is now a café with outside seating.

Here's a look at that small café.

GSV

Under the awning there's a nice arched entrance.

detail/gsv

But in the interior, it becomes apparent the arch has had some major problems in the past. (earthquake damage?)

detail/gsv

By losing so many of the supporting perpendicular bricks, I don't see how it didn't collapse.

http://chestofbooks.com/architecture...l#.VNkaXOl0w5s
__

Here's a glimpse of the rest of the interior.

GSV

alas, Yelp says it recently closed.
__

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Feb 9, 2015 at 9:18 PM.

Old Posted Feb 9, 2015, 8:43 PM

Ferguson Alley?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethereal_reality View Post
I just found this exceedingly rare photograph of 'Ferguson Alley' in Los Angeles' Chinatown on eBay. (1880s....1890s?)
I'm still trying to make out what's in the distance....are those smokestacks or a building under construction? -& there also appears to be a water-tower partially hidden behind the wooden support-

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Chinese-Men-...item234ab10597
here's the reverse

__
I thought like you, Tovangar (too wide) but... if this photo is not mislabelled, this could be Ferguson Alley before any construction on its north side (to the left). The street goes normally down to Alameda and in the background we see industrial plants at Lyon Street.

Last edited by AlvaroLegido; Feb 9, 2015 at 9:31 PM.

Old Posted Feb 9, 2015, 9:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlvaroLegido View Post
I thought like you, Tovangar (too wide) but... if this photo is not mislabelled, this could be Ferguson Alley before any construction on his north side (to the left). The street goes normally down to Alameda and in the background we see industrial plants at Lyon Street. One thing however doesn't look as we know of this section of Chinatown : the plants seem to be raised with respect to Alameda Street. This section was flat.
Now, there's a good debate!
When did Ferguson Alley come into being? What was it's evolution?
I believe a guy named Ferguson had a horse corral there.
It might have something to do with the widening of Los Angeles st. which wiped out the west side of the Calle de los Negros and it's official name as well.
There was also a fire that burned down a few of the old Chinatown buildings shortly after. Somewhere there's an old map or two showing when Ferguson Alley first appeared and what buildings were present.

originally posted by gsjansen.
http://skyscraperpage.com/forum/show...postcount=2525

originally posted by Los Angeles Past
http://skyscraperpage.com/forum/show...29#post5130929

Last edited by fhammon; Feb 9, 2015 at 9:49 PM.

Old Posted Feb 9, 2015, 9:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fhammon View Post

Yes please zoom in on the sign on the building to the far right and tell us what it sez.
You mean this one?

I can only make out "... & CO" on the top line, possibly "... CHONG & CO". The middle line says something like "CHINESE & JAPANESE FANCY GOODS", and the bottom line includes the words "EMPLOYMENT OFFICE".

Detail of picture in USC Digital Library

Old Posted Feb 9, 2015, 9:23 PM

Quote:
You mean this one?

I can only make out "... & CO" on the top line, possibly "... CHONG & CO". The middle line says something like "CHINESE & JAPANESE FANCY GOODS", and the bottom line includes the words "EMPLOYMENT OFFICE".
That's the one! Thanks HossC.

Old Posted Feb 9, 2015, 9:59 PM

I recently came across this photo which I've never seen before.
I might have missed it here. I believe this to be the east end of Ferguson Alley.

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/58828338856609476/

Quote:
The "crib district" of Chinatown where bordellos flourished. This photo looks west from Alameda Street towards the Plaza. Part of the two-storied Lugo Adobe (razed in 1951) can be seen on the far right hand side (in the distance) just above the building with the porch overhang. Picture was taken in 1891. (LAPL) Bizarre Los Angeles
I've never noticed this what looks like an alley-way before either. I can't make out the name.
Anybody?
Is this what later became Ferguson Alley? That might be where his stable was.

Last edited by fhammon; Feb 9, 2015 at 10:35 PM.

Old Posted Feb 9, 2015, 10:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fhammon View Post
Now, there's a good debate!
When did Ferguson Alley come into being? What was it's evolution?

originally posted by Los Angeles Past
http://skyscraperpage.com/forum/show...29#post5130929
Looks like the Juan Apaptaza adobe fell for Ferguson Alley and maybe some of the Uriba adobe (both 1855) too. I think the south side of Ferguson Alley was in line with the facade of Pico House.

http://memory.loc.gov/cgi-bin/map_it...aza,+showing+t

Last edited by tovangar2; Feb 9, 2015 at 11:17 PM. Reason: fix link

Old Posted Feb 9, 2015, 10:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlvaroLegido View Post
I thought like you, Tovangar (too wide) but... if this photo is not mislabelled, this could be Ferguson Alley before any construction on its north side (to the left). The street goes normally down to Alameda and in the background we see industrial plants at Lyon Street.

I'm pretty sure those are the San Gabriel Mountains in the background of the old photo. Those would never have been visible from Ferguson Alley, at any stage of its existence. In any case, the shadows are totally wrong for a view going from west to east.

Old Posted Feb 9, 2015, 10:55 PM

Quote:
I just found this exceedingly rare photograph of 'Ferguson Alley' in Los Angeles' Chinatown on eBay. (1880s....1890s?)
I'm still trying to make out what's in the distance....are those smokestacks or a building under construction? -& there also appears to be a water-tower partially hidden behind the wooden support-

__
I think in the distance is the Kerckhoff-Cuzner Mill and Lumber Company at the NE corner of Alameda and Macy. That lines up with the photo looking north on Los Angeles St., just
north of Ferguson Alley.

With north on the left, here's Chinatown on the 1888 Dakin Illustrated Map of Los Angeles (corrected to 1891). The Lugo House is at lower left, one building south of the corner of
Los Angeles and Marchessault Streets. On the map, pink = brick, yellow = frame, and gray = iron; the map legend has no color for adobe. Ferguson Alley, though not noted on the map,
runs between Alameda and Los Angeles Streets, where the "I" in "Chinatown" is.

LAPL (Flyingwedge photo)

Old Posted Feb 9, 2015, 11:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyingwedge View Post
I think in the distance is the Kerckhoff-Cuzner Mill and Lumber Company at the NE corner of Alameda and Macy. That lines up with the photo looking north on Los Angeles St., just
north of Ferguson Alley.
Well done Flyingwedge!

http://www.pacificelectric.org/tag/p...ection/page/2/

A perfect match:

ebay (detail)

Thank you HossC for detailing the location:
Quote:

Detail of picture in USC Digital Library

ebay 4.5" x 3.5"

And congratulations to JScott for calling it first:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JScott View Post
My guess is we're looking north on Los Angeles Street from its intersection with Ferguson Alley, with the Lugo Adobe just ahead of us.

The gentlemen in the photo were approximately at/on the crosswalk?

google maps

Last edited by tovangar2; Feb 10, 2015 at 6:17 PM. Reason: add pix

Old Posted Feb 10, 2015, 12:13 AM

A lonely red car at a desolate end of the line, 1960.

found recently on eBay

I believe I found the same location below. (the building looks the same...with the solitary door on the end)

Ralph Cantos photograph at http://www.pacificelectric.org/wp-co...d-Feb-1960.jpg

Ralph Cantos took this amazing photograph of Morgan Yards (Ocean Ave. & Morgan Ave., Long Beach) in February of 1960.

I thought it would be fun to locate the former site of Morgan Yards on Google-Earth but I couldn't even find Morgan Avenue.
__

Old Posted Feb 10, 2015, 12:37 AM

Back in Nov. 2014 I posted this 1964 color slide of the 'modernized' Central Market.

http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...ostcount=24742
__

So I was pretty excited when a week or so ago I came across this slide that shows the building just before the addition of the blue paneled façade.

eBay

You can see that they're about to begin work. the scaffolding is up. -note the sign that says 'modernizing Grand Central Market'.
(I love that little red FORD truck. My Dad had one. He had 'Dwayne Barr & Son' painted on the door (and I was only six years old. lol) What I wouldn't give for that truck now.

Luckily, the 1960s era façade on the Grand Central Market has been removed, and the building has come full circle.
__

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Feb 10, 2015 at 3:43 PM.

Old Posted Feb 10, 2015, 1:59 AM

business card:

Jewel's Café
cocktails-fine mixed drinks
104 So. Pacific Ave.
San Pedro, Calif.

front

reverse (this is weirdly inappropriate)

eBay

Jewel's Café former location.

GSV
__

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Feb 10, 2015 at 2:24 AM.

Old Posted Feb 10, 2015, 4:13 AM

Quote:

found recently on eBay

I believe I found the same location below. (the building looks the same...with the solitary door on the end)

Ralph Cantos photograph at http://www.pacificelectric.org/wp-co...d-Feb-1960.jpg

Ralph Cantos took this amazing photograph of Morgan Yards (Ocean Ave. & Morgan Ave., Long Beach) in February of 1960.

I thought it would be fun to locate the former site of Morgan Yards on Google-Earth but I couldn't even find Morgan Avenue.
__
looks like this is the end of the line for most of the cars....these were called "Hollywood Cars" and did a bunch of service mainly on the west side,hollywood line,burbank,and beverly hills lines. If you look real close the logo on the side has the MTA in black lettering,and also the trolley poles are inactive.. so the date is pretty on the money. most of these cars got scraped at terminal island.

Old Posted Feb 10, 2015, 5:12 AM
You can call me David

Quote:

Does anyone know what the Chinese symbol stands for in the upper right corner? scroll right----->
A Chinese friend advised me that the word is pronounced "yia" and means mortgage, pawn, or pledge. And yes, that is a great photo!

Old Posted Feb 10, 2015, 6:25 AM

Speaking of Ferguson Alley coming and going:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SierraMadre View Post

lat

Old Posted Feb 10, 2015, 11:15 AM

Quote:

found recently on eBay

There's a great history of the Morgan Avenue Yard on erha.org. Unfortunately, nearly all the streets mentioned have either disappeared or changed their names. Then I found this aerial image dated 04/14/1953. I thought it best to include the whole caption to make sense of the picture:

An aerial photograph of the mouth of the Los Angeles River in Long Beach. In the lower right quadrant of image, the red cars' Morgan Yard facility is visible. The tracks running off to the right connect with San Pedro and the main red car "Fairbanks Yard" at 1001 Loma Vista Avenue. In the center of image, the remains of the old Ocean Boulevard Bridge is visible, and the new bridge is under construction. Port of Long Beach Piers B, C, and D are shown in the upper left quadrant of the photograph.

Long Beach Public Library

The 1953 Historic Aerials image appears to be slightly earlier as construction on the new bridge hasn't yet started. Note that there was also a Broadway bridge across the LA River at this time.

Historic Aerials

For a comparison, here's the same area in 2004. This is the best of the recent Historic Aerials images, and is virtually identical to the current view on Google Maps. Most of the road layout has changed beyond recognition, and I'm not sure if a single building survives from 1953.

Historic Aerials

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos