Old Posted Yesterday, 11:17 PM
Suburbs Suck

Oh great news!
castlegar.ca

Old Posted Yesterday, 11:27 PM
digital b0y

Quote:
Originally Posted by rousseau View Post
Oh, duh. Just clicked on the link in the email and saw that I'm getting Pfizer-BioNTech or Moderna.
Here in Quebec when you book your appointment you clearly see the slots available for AZ vaccination (45+). These are generally very fast to book and you have your appointment almost immediately. If not selecting AZ 45+, mass vaccination centers are giving you Pfizer. I am not sure about Moderna, but I heard it's only available in pharmacies.

a political policy characterized by inertia and antipathy to change

Old Posted Today, 12:21 AM
Still optimistic

Quote:
Originally Posted by digitboy View Post
Here in Quebec when you book your appointment you clearly see the slots available for AZ vaccination (45+). These are generally very fast to book and you have your appointment almost immediately. If not selecting AZ 45+, mass vaccination centers are giving you Pfizer. I am not sure about Moderna, but I heard it's only available in pharmacies.
I went to a mass vaccination site here in Gatineau and they seemed to be giving everyone Moderna that morning. No choice was given, which was fine of course.

I have to say, looking at how Ontario's vaccine rollout has turned out to be deranged cross between an easter egg hunt and the Hunger Games, I'm supremely impressed and relieved that Quebec has managed to put together a really simple, easy, borderline pleasant system. It was easy to find where and when appointments were, book in 30 seconds for a last minute slot, and sail through the vaccination site only 30 minutes later. Considering that I still have to fax documents to the RAMQ, I can't expressed how shocked I am that the same organization has managed to not only not fuck this up, but do... well.

Old Posted Today, 12:26 AM

I think most provinces just gave their AZ stock to pharmacies and then kept the mRNA vaccines with the clinic stream.

Old Posted Today, 12:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airboy View Post
As for waiting for a vaccine. do you want to trust waiting a few more weeks if you are eligible now. Just to get the one you want. Risk actually getting the virus.
I think that depends on context. The current outbreak in NS, while not "good", is not particularly dire relative to most of the country (yet). I work from home, only leave the house a couple times a week to get groceries (grocery stores are at lower capacity with social distancing and I've yet to encounter anyone who isn't wearing a mask indoors), I'm very rarely in the same room as any of my roommates, who are also working from home and rarely leave the house. I've accepted the fact that I probably won't see very many people or leave the house much for the rest of this month (I likely won't be eligible for a vaccine until June anyway and in the meantime there isn't really much to do other than work... everything's closed ).

If the third wave continues to get worse here all month then I'll definitely get whatever vaccine they want to give me ASAP. If it gets better within a couple weeks then my risk of being exposed is very low. So that will certainly factor into my decisions.

If I was actually out doing stuff and being around people I'd be in more of a hurry but I am literally just working in a room alone 98% of the time.

Old Posted Today, 12:57 AM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hali87 View Post
The current outbreak in NS, while not "good", is not particularly dire relative to most of the country (yet).
It's kind of odd because they keep releasing daily numbers but they are apparently from samples that are days old, which may reflect infections from a week ago or longer. It's not clear that the day-to-day numbers reflect the current risk (nobody really knows). I would guess that the risk was higher before the lockdown even if the numbers being reported are bigger now.

Your point about differences in risk is a good one. Another thing people don't think about much is that because the vaccine supply is so constrained, waiting does not necessarily delay the rollout. It can or should mean that the dose goes to person B instead of person A. If that's a swap to a person with higher personal risk or lower side-effect risk, it's a good trade. It's actually ideal if the high risk people push to the front of the line and everybody accurately assesses their risks. Canada has gotten little AZ and J&J so it's unclear that any of this will actually matter in the end if people end up preferring the mRNA vaccines.

Last edited by someone123; Today at 1:13 AM.

Old Posted Today, 1:19 AM
INformed before INdignant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aylmer View Post
I went to a mass vaccination site here in Gatineau and they seemed to be giving everyone Moderna that morning. No choice was given, which was fine of course.
I got Moderna at Palais des congrès de Gatineau Saturday.

There were signs at the entrance saying which vaccine was available.

One of my kids (part-time health care worker) went for a 2nd dose there today, and got the Pfizer.

Old Posted Today, 1:31 AM
I ♣ Baby Seals

Noticed something this evening. A buddy sent a pic of him and his girlfriend having a beer on a patio in Calgary and said, "Last patio evening for a while!"

And I said, "Why?"

Completely forgot about the pandemic; they're going into lockdown. And then I realized... holy fuck why are you out? If things here were a fraction as bad as in AB I'd probably starve to death. I wouldn't even go to the superette.

They're masked and all that, not crazies at all - but still. Never consciously realized how lucky we are until that convo.

Old Posted Today, 2:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hali87 View Post
"There are no preferred vaccines", yet, some of them are rated as more effective than others, and the available evidence also shows that those ones are also marginally safer (ie less likely to cause you to die). Whether this counts as a "preference" is semantics - they are not all the same.

I understand that the risks of serious/fatal complications from the AstraZenica shot are much, much lower than the risks of serious/fatal complications from getting Covid, but it does not seem honest at this point to insist that it's unquestionably just as good a choice as the other ones, even if the risk is relatively small.
Well said. It would seem disingenuous to suggest that all vaccines are equal - everybody has the right to know what their choices are, and to make an informed decision.

Old Posted Today, 2:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aylmer View Post

I have to say, looking at how Ontario's vaccine rollout has turned out to be deranged cross between an easter egg hunt and the Hunger Games, I'm supremely impressed and relieved that Quebec has managed to put together a really simple, easy, borderline pleasant system. It was easy to find where and when appointments were, book in 30 seconds for a last minute slot, and sail through the vaccination site only 30 minutes later. Considering that I still have to fax documents to the RAMQ, I can't expressed how shocked I am that the same organization has managed to not only not fuck this up, but do... well.
Here in Northeastern Ontario, they have only given Moderna at the clinic sites across the region. The A-Z was available at some pharmacies.

Not all of Ontario's vaccine rollout has been crazy. (I didn't realize what was going on elsewhere) Some health regions are doing their own thing for appointments including where I live. I had no issues and no trouble getting my shot and booked it online through our health unit and not the provincial site that most Ontarians have to use.

Old Posted Today, 2:29 AM

Just to put something a bit different on here:

In our health region which is covered by the Porcupine Health Unit, we got stickers after getting our shots. I'm glad that the syringes didn't look like that! Are they doing that where you live?

And here is a floor sign at the entrance into Mountjoy Arena in Timmins where the mass vaccinations are being done.

Old Posted Today, 2:51 AM

Peel Region is opening vaccine eligibility to its entire population starting tomorrow morning.

As Peel has consistently been the hardest hit spot in Ontario, this is good.

Old Posted Today, 4:46 AM
Fake News

Quote:
Originally Posted by SignalHillHiker View Post
Noticed something this evening. A buddy sent a pic of him and his girlfriend having a beer on a patio in Calgary and said, "Last patio evening for a while!"

And I said, "Why?"

Completely forgot about the pandemic; they're going into lockdown. And then I realized... holy fuck why are you out? If things here were a fraction as bad as in AB I'd probably starve to death. I wouldn't even go to the superette.

They're masked and all that, not crazies at all - but still. Never consciously realized how lucky we are until that convo.
Not a full lockdown as retail and churches are still open with limited capacity. But patios and salons are closing again and schools are moving online. I can’t begin to express how stressful it has been living through this pandemic yoyo. I’ve only eaten at 1 patio throughout Covid just before the third wave crested at a local restaurant with only 3 tables decently spaced apart. That day was the only day this entire pandemic that I felt no fear and things felt semi normal. Then it was right back into full blown Contagion.

https://clockzillakingoflaval.tumblr.com

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada