HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted Apr 22, 2021, 8:08 PM
World Traveler

Since the topic came up in this thread re: Austin hosting big tournaments, I wanted to share this here. Original post is in the Q2 Stadium thread.

Quote:
Austin FC’s Q2 Stadium to host 2021 CONCACAF Gold Cup matches
AUSTIN (KXAN) — It hasn’t even hosted a match and crews are putting the finishing touches on it, but soccer’s regional governing body already wants Q2 Stadium to host matches of its premier tournament.

The new home for Austin FC was selected as one of 11 host sites for the 2021 CONCACAF Gold Cup, a bi-annual tournament that features top national teams in North and Central America as well as the Caribbean. The tournament begins with a newly-added preliminary round July 2-6 in Fort Lauderdale, Florida, and then the 16-team tournament begins July 10 with the championship match Aug. 1 in Las Vegas.
https://www.kxan.com/sports-general/...-of-operation/

Old Posted Apr 22, 2021, 11:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syndic View Post
Oh snap, you bring up a good point. We're actually looking at the Southwest corner of the stadium in my above pic but the reason the Southeast corner doesn't have that same blank wall is because it has 2 towers, like you said.

How weird. This makes my OCD flair up. I hope they have plans to fix it to make it consistent.

Although, maybe the upper deck on the west side makes it impossible.

Yes, I know what you mean. Also I actually wanted to know was there 2 towers on the northwest corner. I know the northeast and southeast both have 2, leaving only the southwest with 1.

Old Posted Apr 23, 2021, 2:34 AM

Yes, there are 2 towers on all corners except the Southwest. Here is the Northwest corner:

Old Posted Apr 23, 2021, 2:39 AM

I actually think the stair steps makes the south end zone feel connected to the rest of the stadium, but I also think it was a bit of a hacky workaround to accomplish that. It works but I do think there will need to be more renovations in the future.

Old Posted Apr 23, 2021, 5:16 AM

So we'll have 7 towers? Come on, we gotta build that last tower.

Old Posted Apr 23, 2021, 5:43 AM
Meh

Some more Google Earth fun for reference.

Old Posted Apr 23, 2021, 12:56 PM

With the way San Jacinto Blvd curves in on the SW side, it doesn't look like there would be room for the last tower if you mirror the location of the one on the NW side.

Old Posted Apr 23, 2021, 2:58 PM
World Traveler

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgs12895 View Post
With the way San Jacinto Blvd curves in on the SW side, it doesn't look like there would be room for the last tower if you mirror the location of the one on the NW side.
My OCD says move the road...

Old Posted Apr 24, 2021, 5:47 PM

Old Posted Apr 24, 2021, 8:45 PM

from @ UT_vs_Aggie on Twitter

Old Posted Apr 24, 2021, 8:47 PM

I think it'll look amazing on a game day when it's full of fans.

Old Posted Apr 24, 2021, 8:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by freerover View Post
Man, this is a night and day difference from what this view looked like before. Looks like a totally different stadium from this angle.

Old Posted Apr 25, 2021, 1:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syndic View Post

from @ UT_vs_Aggie on Twitter
Wow! No social distancing and very few masks.

Old Posted Apr 25, 2021, 4:03 PM

Maybe they are vaxxed?

Old Posted Jun 25, 2021, 1:06 PM

Looks like black screening is going up around the video board and old turf is coming up

Old Posted Jun 25, 2021, 3:13 PM
Resident Moron

The turf has also entered the transfer portal.

I cannot state how much I hate that dumb longhorn cut-out. It's so stupid.

Also, I would love if the university would spend some money getting rid of the death-trap that is the intersection of the West upper deck concourse and South end zone. I sold my season tickets because you get stuck in this trampling hazard before every single game.

Old Posted Jun 25, 2021, 7:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StoOgE View Post

I'm agnostic on the longhorn cutout but that notch in the right corner is torture for my OCD.

Old Posted Jun 25, 2021, 8:57 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by StoOgE View Post
The turf has also entered the transfer portal.

Also, I would love if the university would spend some money getting rid of the death-trap that is the intersection of the West upper deck concourse and South end zone. I sold my season tickets because you get stuck in this trampling hazard before every single game.
EVERY SINGLE SHORTCOMING that UT has, is and was, the direct result of Frank Erwin (Particularly that dumb longhorn cut-out, the explanation of why will appear at the end of this blurb)!
When I went to UT, every single student hated Frank Erwin and Frank Erwin hated every single student and probably had a secret dossier on every single student. It was rumored that many students were "disappeared" for disagreeing with Frank Erwin, and certainly many professors and University Presidents were, and even some snooping State legislators!
Whenever anybody has a gripe of any kind about the University of Texas, one can be sure that Frank Erwin is somehow involved. Even in death, the old codger remains a constant curse upon the old 40 acres, and far beyond, because you can be sure than he sits on his own throne on the far right side of Satan, himself!
Of course, this is a parody, (but just barely). But to be sure, Frank Erwin put his indelible stamp all over the University of Texas, just like a big ole graffiti machine, and without him, we probably would have been more like Berkeley, Col/Boulder, or Wiscy/Madison, where they at least currently have good football teams and decent defenses. but as it is, he wanted us to be little brother to Texas A&M. He LOVED the Gaggies, you know. And as Paul Harvey used to say, "That's the rest of the story". So you have to dance with who brung you, and that's the reason why that's not the last dumb longhorn cutout you will ever see.

Old Posted Jun 25, 2021, 9:29 PM

Sounds like you hit your head on the sidewalk after you fell out of the tree that Old Frank chainsawed down on San Jacinto back in the day.

Seriously, he was a force to be reckoned with, that’s for sure. Some of those old school Horns were from a different world.

A&M wasn’t much back then.

Old Posted Jun 26, 2021, 1:05 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armybrat View Post
Sounds like you hit your head on the sidewalk after you fell out of the tree that Old Frank chainsawed down on San Jacinto back in the day.

Seriously, he was a force to be reckoned with, that’s for sure. Some of those old school Horns were from a different world.

A&M wasn’t much back then.
As far as trees are concerned, you must be confusing me with Greg Abbott. HE's the one who hit his head on the sidewalk. I don't look a bit like Greg Abbott. Although I ALWAYS took John Silber's side in the Silber-Erwin confrontations, you'll have to admit that the people who fell out of THAT tree never gave a sh*t about football, so it is you who is somewhat confused.
And i got news for you.
The Gaggies still ain't much. It took YEARS and nine games before Bama could finally beat Texas, and yes, that was back in MY DAYS. In the the SEC, the Gaggies REALLY suck! They upset Bama ONCE, and the cadets all acted like a bunch of junior high school girls who had just discovered boys.

Last edited by DaveinWimberley; Jun 26, 2021 at 1:51 AM. Reason: John Silber made me do it!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin