Old Posted Sep 1, 2016, 5:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Pal View Post
Venice Historical Society Proudly Presents
TAKE A TRIP ON THE RED CAR
A Lecture and Slide Show by Red Car Maven & Historian Alan Fishel

WEDNESDAY, AUGUST 31, 2016 – 7:00 pm
at Oakwood Recreation Center, California & 7th Avenues, Venice

Take two virtual rides on the electric trolley cars from Los Angeles to the Beach
with Alan Fishel. The first railway service into Venice was in the 1880's with
a connection in Inglewood through Venice on its way to Santa Monica. In the 1890's
more lines were built to service Santa Monica, Ocean Park & Venice.
The once-daily & ever-popular service along the beach ended in 1950.
Learn what happened in between.

$5 for VHS members and $8 for non-members. Street parking available.
Light snacks served at the event.

http://venicehistoricalsociety.org/calendar.php
I went to this event,and all in all it was a lot of fun. The VHS members we're a little disappointed with the slide show at first, mainly because the guys from PErHS (Ralph Cantos and Alan) we're trying to show the audience the entire route via slide show, where the VHS just wanted to see Venice, towards the end the crowd was won back. I got to talk with Ralph, hes a wealth of knowledge and is always excited to answer questions about rail. Thanks again for posting this Martin.

Oh and the slide! a few have been shown here.. but 90% we're personal slides, and they we're amazing.

Old Posted Sep 1, 2016, 3:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethereal_reality View Post

You can clearly see Rebel's 'Cocktails' sign (it was blurry in my pic & I wasn't 100% sure it said cocktails)

http://www.pacificelectric.org/wp-co...ngton-1948.jpg

and I spot another noirish looking place....The Maritime Club, on the far side of the C of C 'gateway'.
I've just found this photo which USC dates as circa 1900. The building on the right appears to be the Wilmington Chamber of Commerce building, so this must be Canal Street (Avalon Boulevard) looking south. The 1908 San Pedro CD shows W S Moore with a real estate business on Canal Street - you can see the sign near the right of the picture.

USC Digital Library

Old Posted Sep 1, 2016, 3:22 PM

SAn Pedro

Quote:
These three amazing sepia photographs were taken somewhere in San Pedro a long long time ago. (1910s?)

The images show a parade in progress.

I am not sure what symbol is on the banner below (but you can clearly see two Ws on either side of the hatchet & mallet)

eBay

This banner looks like the Moose Lodge banner (see the moose)

eBay

This view is probably my favorite of the three. It shows an entirely different location along the parade route.

eBay

Does the shed say Hickman Bros. Plumbing...?

& I believe that's a huge street paving machine on the right....with Marion written on it.

_
The Marion machine is probably an excavator. The company, of Marion Ohio, started business as a steam shovel maker. The smokestack and the solid steel wheels are like a shovel or perhaps an early backhoe.
The PE car may on 12th street, heading for the end of the line. The map I have of a proposed franchise extension [undated sadly] shows a cross street near the water as Palos Verdes. 133 is a Huntington Standard local type car and single track, so beyond the 'downtown' PE depot

Old Posted Sep 1, 2016, 3:58 PM

Hard to read map
On further squinting make that 14th street
The map shows a large parcel at what would become the outer harbor GRANTED to PE, and a proposed extension of San Pedro St dashed lines from the end of 14th to the parcel. PE is dashed thruout so I can't decide if it existed or was proposed

Old Posted Sep 1, 2016, 4:44 PM

Quote:

These three amazing sepia photographs were taken somewhere in San Pedro a long long time ago. (1910s?)

This view is probably my favorite of the three. It shows an entirely different location along the parade route.

eBay

Does the shed say Hickman Bros. Plumbing...?
There's a Hickman Bros Plumbing listed at 532 S Palos Verdes Street in the CDs around 1910. There's no point trying to get a GSV picture as W 5th Street was re-aligned in the 1970s.

Old Posted Sep 1, 2016, 4:54 PM

'mystery' building.

"Somewhere in Hollywood CA, 1970s or 80s."

eBay

The name of the company is a bit too blurry to read (something ...something...and something )

after staring at it awhile & allowing my eyes to adjust, I believe the second word is Gordon.

_

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Sep 1, 2016 at 5:13 PM.

Old Posted Sep 1, 2016, 5:00 PM

'mystery' building #2

...somewhere along Pacific Ave. in San Pedro CA.

"San Pedro Permanente medical offices expanded to Pacific Ave. over a dress shop in 1951."

http://kaiserpermanentehistory.org/

I don't know the cross street and the block number on the street sign is too small to read.

__

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Sep 1, 2016 at 5:26 PM.

Old Posted Sep 1, 2016, 5:21 PM

Carroll Avenue slide, 1970s

eBay

And here's the same view today.

gsv

Is it just me, or did the front yards get larger?

I realize they would have had to narrow the street.....but I can't think of any other
__

I have several more vintage slides of this area I plan to post later today.

Old Posted Sep 1, 2016, 5:28 PM

Quote:
'mystery' building.

"Somewhere in Hollywood CA, 1970s or 80s."

eBay

The name of the company is a bit too blurry to read (something ...something...and something )

after staring at it awhile & allowing my eyes to adjust, I believe the second word is Gordon.

_
Alan Gordon Enterprises, once at 1430 Cahuenga—

[/url]

—is still around, on Melrose, same logo on the side of the building and all.

Old Posted Sep 1, 2016, 5:31 PM

Thanks Beaudry.

For some reason I thought the building would probably be gone, so I was pleasantly surprised to find out it's still there.

The building's design (deco/streamline modern?) looks like it might have been a market (unless, of course, it was built by Alan Gordon Enterprises)

__

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Sep 1, 2016 at 5:41 PM.

Old Posted Sep 1, 2016, 5:36 PM

Beaudry beat me to it by two minutes! Here's a close-up of the wall decoration currently on the white part of the building behind the street light.

GSV

Old Posted Sep 1, 2016, 5:51 PM

Quote:

'mystery' building #2

...somewhere along Pacific Ave. in San Pedro CA.

"San Pedro Permanente medical offices expanded to Pacific Ave. over a dress shop in 1951."

http://kaiserpermanentehistory.org/

I don't know the cross street and the block number on the street sign is too small to read.
The cross street is 8th Street. Lewis, on the right, sold "Smart Women's Apparel" at 808 S Pacific Avenue. The building still stands as the 8th Street Lofts. Other than a modified roofline, it's looking pretty good.

GSV

Old Posted Sep 1, 2016, 6:16 PM

Quote:

The images show a parade in progress.

I am not sure what symbol is on the banner below (but you can clearly see two Ws on either side of the hatchet & mallet)

eBay

This banner looks like the Moose Lodge banner (see the moose)

eBay

eBay

_

So you've got your Woodmen, and your Moose; the fellows at the bottom are York Rite masons. The York Rite is an appendant body of Masonry you can join after you are raised as a Master Mason in your Blue Lodge. Specifically, the guys with the plumage on their hats are Knights Templar. This is likely the drill team from the San Pedro Commandery No. 60, although that's now defunct and I don't know their dates. Could be Long Beach Commandery No. 40, Golden West Commandery No 43, or the venerable Los Angeles Commandery No. 9 Knights Templar.

The gents marching in back don't seem to be wearing York Rite aprons, so I think they're just the local Blue Lodge marching along in the traditional white lambskin apron of the Master Mason. (One assumes that also in this parade o' fraternal orders there were Odd Fellows, Elk, and who knows, maybe Owls and Knights of Pythias and the GAR to boot!)

Check out LA9 doin' their thing at the Centennial Conclave in 1958 (not 1951 as its titled) and then the last ten minutes or so are the installation of officers at the lost Pico-Figueora Masonic Temple— https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A9JLuHYcnv8 (I especially dig one Sir Knight petting Kim Novak at 8:30. And that wailing Shriner band at 20:25 are the most!)

Old Posted Sep 1, 2016, 6:30 PM

Quote:
Thanks Beaudry.

For some reason I thought the building would probably be gone, so I was pleasantly surprised to find out it's still there.

The building's design (deco/streamline modern?) looks like it might have been a market (unless, of course, it was built by Alan Gordon Enterprises)

__
It was built by the Muller Brothers in 1948 to be a retail store, they leased it out to Western Auto Supply. By 1959 it was owned by Frederick's of Hollywood for offices and storage, by 1967 it was owned by Alan Gordon Ent. Vera Gordon got its change of use permit from equipment rental to restaurant/club in 2000.

Old Posted Sep 1, 2016, 7:01 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by HossC View Post

Beaudry beat me to it by two minutes! Here's a close-up of the wall decoration currently on the white part of the building behind the street light.

GSV
Face it Hoss, its a strange building.

Old Posted Sep 1, 2016, 7:20 PM

Good one CBD.

I'm not understanding the faces. Is that Alan Gordon?

_

Thanks for the history of the building Beaudry, much appreciated.

Old Posted Sep 1, 2016, 7:44 PM

Here's another fairly generic title from Julius Shulman. It's "Job 901: Two stores (Long Beach, Calif.), 1951".

Here's the rear of the stores. I've left out a similar shot. Does anyone know what "Timely Clothes" are/were?

Back to the front for some neon.

A close-up of the window display.

And the one at the rear.

Finally, an interior view.

All from Getty Research Institute

Bunday Fox Shoes was at 4442 Atlantic Avenue, and Dunn's Timely Clothes was at 4444. The site is now occupied by part of the Bixby Knolls Shopping Center.

Old Posted Sep 1, 2016, 8:03 PM

Quote:
Carroll Avenue slide, 1970s

eBay

And here's the same view today.

gsv

Is it just me, or did the front yards get larger?

I realize they would have had to narrow the street.....but I can't think of any other
__

I have several more vintage slides of this area I plan to post later today.
What is the brick structure on the righthand house? It looks like a fireplace/chimney but instead of terminating in a chimney top there is just a sort of dummy gable.

Old Posted Sep 1, 2016, 8:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Maddox Roberts View Post
What is the brick structure on the righthand house? It looks like a fireplace/chimney but instead of terminating in a chimney top there is just a sort of dummy gable.
That is a good question.

Although it probably isn't, the middle house looks like it has a stained glass window.

Old Posted Sep 1, 2016, 8:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by unihikid View Post
I went to this event,and all in all it was a lot of fun. The VHS members we're a little disappointed with the slide show at first, mainly because the guys from PErHS (Ralph Cantos and Alan) we're trying to show the audience the entire route via slide show, where the VHS just wanted to see Venice, towards the end the crowd was won back. I got to talk with Ralph, hes a wealth of knowledge and is always excited to answer questions about rail. Thanks again for posting this Martin.

Oh and the slide! a few have been shown here.. but 90% we're personal slides, and they we're amazing.
_______________________________________________________________________________________

Great! I am glad you got to go to this Unihikid!

I was thinking of it, too, but was quickly reminded that a couple friends were taking me somewhere. A surprise. (I did not know where.)

Turns out it was an L.A. Conservancy tour of City Hall downtown that culminated in watching the sun set from the observation deck. I have often wondered why I never went down to see any of the City Hall interior and so I was quite pleased. When my friend sends me the photos he took I might post a couple of them.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos