HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted Jun 7, 2023, 4:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtb_jeremy View Post
I saw this morning that the RBFCU at 11901 1/2 Burnet Rd (just north of Uptown ATX) was being flattened.
Pearl Burnet (unless they changed the name)

some documentation here in the Burnet/Domain thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urbannizer View Post
Pearl Burnet

Old Posted Jun 9, 2023, 2:22 PM

Took a detour through the Domain on my way home on Wednesday, and was kind of stunned to see the streets relatively busy, and steady business through Rock Rose and the adjacent shopping area near the Apple store.

So my question is, what is it about the Domain that has attracted both high end, popular boutiques and stores, as well as the clients that want to shop there? Even more specific . . . why the Domain and why not somewhere in our first downtown? 2nd street is fine, but is really small and vacancies tend to last for a while. What gives?

Old Posted Jun 9, 2023, 3:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by We vs us View Post
Took a detour through the Domain on my way home on Wednesday, and was kind of stunned to see the streets relatively busy, and steady business through Rock Rose and the adjacent shopping area near the Apple store.

So my question is, what is it about the Domain that has attracted both high end, popular boutiques and stores, as well as the clients that want to shop there? Even more specific . . . why the Domain and why not somewhere in our first downtown? 2nd street is fine, but is really small and vacancies tend to last for a while. What gives?
Downtown is too far away.

But in all seriousness, both downtown and the North Burnet/Domain area are about the same distance from the metro center of population. So it shouldn't be surprising that there are a lot of people for whom the domain is more convenient than downtown.

that doesn't explain why downtown wouldn't be equally popular for those for whom it's geographically closer.

it may be that (due to the distribution of tech jobs) that the domain is actually closer to higher disposable incomes than DT (more students close to DT?)

Maybe it's because retail/restaurants are too geographically dispersed downtown (which is larger than domain for the moment, though North Burnet is building out fast). Or competing with too many pockets in close vicinity (SoCo, West Campus, East Austin), some of which have existed for a long time. While the Domain has not real close competitors in its space (semi-walkable).

The Domain has also done a pretty good job at making the area walkable and relatively safe feeling. A lot of the streets are less vehicle oriented than even most of downtown. I.E. Rock Rose being only two lanes.

And of course, there's the significantly unified ownershp structure, which makes "master planning" easier.

Old Posted Jun 9, 2023, 3:42 PM

Parking at the Domain is easy and free.

It's an inversion of the old mall format where you park inside and shop outside. But it's still a mall catering to suburbanites who only want to go places where there's easy parking.

Old Posted Jun 9, 2023, 3:59 PM

Lots of wishful thinking being spouted here about the Domain.

100% it's because it is car-centric and has free, relatively easy parking.

I know a number of central Austin people who never shop downtown except maybe to go to Trader Joe's (which has a lot) a couple of times a year, usually combining it with a trip to the Library.

If I knew more central Austinites I would know more who eschew the downtown for the Domain.

Old Posted Jun 9, 2023, 6:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smallfrie View Post
Lots of wishful thinking being spouted here about the Domain.

100% it's because it is car-centric and has free, relatively easy parking.

I know a number of central Austin people who never shop downtown except maybe to go to Trader Joe's (which has a lot) a couple of times a year, usually combining it with a trip to the Library.

If I knew more central Austinites I would know more who eschew the downtown for the Domain.
I think it’s a “across the river” issue. We live in Zilker and I know a ton of my neighbors will barely cross the river to go downtown, and will REFUSE to go to the Domain.

My family spends a good deal of time downtown, biking, music, parks, restaurants, WF, etc. it’s great…..I’m about to take my son to 9th st to ride the bumps. Zilker is our favorite neighborhood, and we’ve lived in a bunch of Central Austin hoods.

Old Posted Jun 9, 2023, 10:05 PM
Representing the ATX!!!

I go to the Domain maybe twice a year whereas I'm DT every week, sometimes multiple times a week. When I go to the Domain it is mostly due to going to a specific store or for the after new year sales. DT is simply more convenient from where I live and the entertainment spots I go to tend to be DT, East Central or in the case of The Concourse Project here on the Southside just south of the airport. There is nothing at the Domain in terms of nightlife that I can't get more of and more easily to closer to home, so it comes strictly down to the occasional shopping outing.

Old Posted Jun 10, 2023, 1:22 AM

I have lived in South Austin my entire life and have been to the Domain twice. It's an across-the river thing to some extent, but it's really an "across 183" thing. It's a long way to go.

Old Posted Jun 10, 2023, 1:35 AM
Meh

South Austinite here, too. I've been up there a handful of times. Once to buy Schlitterbahn tickets after we found out there was a discount at the location selling them. Another time having a drink at the Flying Saucer bar with a couple of other forumers from out of town, and at least one other time I can think of, but I don't remember why we went that time. I'm more content with seeing the Domain skyline 15 to 16 miles away in the distance than I am visiting it.

Old Posted Jun 10, 2023, 4:06 PM

Austin sprawls very far to the north and for a lot of North Austin getting downtown is a pain. The Domain's location makes a lot of sense. South Austin is closer to downtown and hasn't needed an equivalent, though that is slowly changing. South Austin also always had Barton Creek which is a better mall than Lakeline.

As far as why isn't there more shopping downtown, that is a good question. The homeless situation probably does not help. The garages are also very expensive, even though there is a massive number of parking spots. I think the vision of a more family friendly 6th street would probably help DT Austin in the daytime (though it might hurt it at nighttime).

Last edited by papertowelroll; Jun 10, 2023 at 4:48 PM.

Old Posted Jun 10, 2023, 4:26 PM

I think I can chime in nicely here considering my job relocated me from downtown to the domain last month.

Make no mistake, there are HUGE differences. The Domain is alive and feels more Downtown than Downtown does. Super diverse crowds and lots of single people and families. I'm afraid downtown won't ever host a large swath or retail (in our lifetimes). South Congress will continue to be the main central Austin shopping district.

Y'all should consider Domain more often. It has surprised me in a lot of unexpected ways...and the "cross the river" thing is so tired.

Old Posted Jun 10, 2023, 4:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahealy View Post
I think I can chime in nicely here considering my job relocated me from downtown to the domain last month.

Make no mistake, there are HUGE differences. The Domain is alive and feels more Downtown than Downtown does. Super diverse crowds and lots of single people and families. I'm afraid downtown won't ever host a large swath or retail (in our lifetimes). South Congress will continue to be the main central Austin shopping district.

Y'all should consider Domain more often. It has surprised me in a lot of unexpected ways...and the "cross the river" thing is so tired.
I feel like the "cross the river" thing is more real than ever. These days some of the worst traffic is Saturday afternoon and getting across the river is a nightmare. We are in North Loop and one cool thing about this area is equally convenient access to the Domain and Downtown.

Old Posted Jun 10, 2023, 5:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahealy View Post

The domain was purpose built from the ground up by a relatively small number of stakeholders to be a retail destination. In order for downtown to replicate that, it will take a lot of coordination between a multitude of property owners/developers.

It can surely be done downtown, but it will take a fair amount coordination, effort, and will. The city itself would likely need to get involved. Downtown's 2nd Street district is the most analogous comparison/example of what could be done. A nice vision would be, IMHO, to coordinate (streetscape upgrades, offer incentives, etc) along the entirety of 2nd, 3rd, 4th streets to further expand the 2nd St district beyond it's current footprint. Then, market it as the "lower downtown" shopping district.

Old Posted Jun 10, 2023, 5:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul78701 View Post
A nice vision would be, IMHO, to coordinate (streetscape upgrades, offer incentives, etc) along the entirety of 2nd, 3rd, 4th streets to further expand the 2nd St district beyond it's current footprint. Then, market it as the "lower downtown" shopping district.
Personally, I think if we can get projects like that moving before the rail line is built out, it could boost potential ridership before the lines open.

Really though, I think to differentiate downtown from the domain and south congress, the type of retail coming in needs to be of a different caliber. Not sure how it can be done, but if retail space downtown became a haven for more local start-ups, surely a few would find success, and a snowball effect could take place where downtown is the goal for anyone wanting to start a successful business.

Frankly, I'm not sure it can be done, but otherwise, if it's a situation where you have a Howler Bros in the domain and one on south congress, is there any reason to have a third downtown?

As sad as it is, I think we could turn this current trend of south congress becoming a space for similar brands that usually go to the domain as an opportunity to turn the downtown retail market into something totally unique. Maybe, dare I say, weird.

Old Posted Jun 20, 2023, 10:37 PM

https://www.hines.com/news/hines-sec...-in-the-domain

Quote:
Hines’ new Class AA development within The Domain will comprise of two 14-story interconnected towers with exclusive lobbies for each tower and exterior aesthetics that will set a new bar in the Dominion submarket. Catering to the needs of the modern workforce, tenants will experience multiple amenity decks on the 9th floor, private balconies on each floor, outdoor sports amenities, and a high-end fitness and conference center. Additionally, the property will place a heavy emphasis on ESG, and is being designed for LEED Gold certification and will seek WELL Platinum, WiredScore Platinum, and Austin Energy Green Build distinctions. Construction is anticipated to begin in late 2023.

Old Posted Jun 21, 2023, 2:38 PM

Looks like a cross between SXSW HQ, Seaholm, and Domain 7, IV, C, !, or however they are being named. And hopefully those are human transport tubes in the middle by the greenery or I’m not interested.

Old Posted Jun 21, 2023, 3:58 PM
World Traveler

Hard to tell - which block is that on? Did I miss a street reference or address somewhere?

Old Posted Jun 21, 2023, 4:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drummer View Post
Hard to tell - which block is that on? Did I miss a street reference or address somewhere?
It's the La Quinta site. IBM will be relocating there

Old Posted Jun 21, 2023, 6:11 PM

This project was discussed in May. If interested, anyone can go back to May 3rd for the start of the discussion.

Things will be great when you're downtown.

Old Posted Jun 21, 2023, 8:03 PM
World Traveler

^^ Thanks guys!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin