HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Jan 22, 2022, 11:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lio45 View Post
To be fair, the speed limit is 50 mph and there are traffic lights regularly. It's far from a freeway. It's more like an urban boulevard.

(I'm nonetheless in total agreement with you, if I were to build that kind of house, I'd choose the location much more wisely!)
https://www.google.com/maps/place/30...!4d-83.2821245

Speed limit says 50 mph, but I'm willing to bet the average speed is between 60-70 mph here. This section is built like a limited access freeway except for the out of place homes. It's insane.

Some boomer probably prefers this over a smaller town house in the city. Boomers are whack.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2022, 12:06 AM

Telegraph Rd. probably runs at 60-65 mph at minimum. Detroit arterials always run well over the speed limit.

Yeah, there are stoplights, but about every mile or so. And they're short for the Telegraph traffic. It's not quite an interstate, but it functions more like one than a regular surface street.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2022, 12:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by C. View Post
Some boomer probably prefers this over a smaller town house in the city. Boomers are whack.
Likely a boomer, but originating in Beirut or Baghdad.

And I can assure you, a "smaller town house in the city" was not ever under consideration. This is the Motor City. Sprawl is King.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2022, 1:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minato Ku View Post
50 mph isn't low speed for urban area.
There are urban freeway with the same speed limits.

Here it would need a slow lane for local traffic physically separated from the rest of the road.
I don't know the word to translate it in English but in French, it's called "contre-allée".
https://www.google.fr/maps/@48.11644...7i13312!8i6656

There are many terms for it in English;
frontage road, access road, outer road, service road, feeder road, or parallel road. In Quebec, we tend to call them service roads, or voie de service in French.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2022, 1:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by C. View Post
https://www.google.com/maps/place/30...!4d-83.2821245

Speed limit says 50 mph, but I'm willing to bet the average speed is between 60-70 mph here. This section is built like a limited access freeway except for the out of place homes. It's insane.
Yeah, the average is probably 60-65 without traffic. I was driving on Telegraph around that area a few weeks ago and easily got up to 70 while not paying close attention to my speed. With the road so wide and traffic lights so spaced out it almost feels ridiculous to move slower than 60.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2022, 2:15 AM

LOL those houses are NOT common in metro Detroit. Those are literally the only 4 homes like that on Telegraph and everybody thinks they're completely insane. I don't know how the county or Bloomfield allowed them to be built. It is totally nuts, dangerous and extremely rare.

Nobody is choosing between those and a Detroit townhouse because you'd have to be brain-dead completely crazy to consider living right on Telegraph. Got nothing do with with sprawl supposedly being king.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2022, 7:34 PM
Resu Deretsiger

California City! Developing the entire area would relieve some housing issues if the water issues could be solved.

https://weburbanist.com/2017/08/01/c...-golden-state/

Old Posted Jan 23, 2022, 9:25 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by TWAK View Post
California City! Developing the entire area would relieve some housing issues if the water issues could be solved.
That's a good one! There are 15,000 people spread over 200 square miles, as the crow flies 75 miles north of Downtown LA, near Edwards Air Force Base with a PGA golf course and an airport.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions