HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Aug 10, 2022, 7:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zalf View Post
^ Thanks for the answer!

I would love see wider use of these. Any notion of how long the break-even period is vs typical paint? I'm always a fan of ideas that can shrink the City's operating costs. And besides money, we don't mark lanes just for the fun of it. They're a safety feature that isn't doing its job if it isn't visible.
I don't but it might be cheaper than buying another line painting truck!

We could start a GoFundMe to buy a few rolls for the city, lol...

https://www.uline.ca/Product/Detail/...B&gclsrc=aw.ds

Old Posted Aug 10, 2022, 7:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zalf View Post
^ Thanks for the answer!

I would love see wider use of these. Any notion of how long the break-even period is vs typical paint? I'm always a fan of ideas that can shrink the City's operating costs. And besides money, we don't mark lanes just for the fun of it. They're a safety feature that isn't doing its job if it isn't visible.
I don't but it might be cheaper than buying another line painting truck!

We could start a GoFundMe to buy a few rolls for the city, lol...

https://www.uline.ca/Product/Detail/...B&gclsrc=aw.ds

Old Posted Aug 10, 2022, 9:43 PM
Fossil fuel & rubber

The Disraeli overpass is not owned by the city, it is being leased to the city. The owner maintains the overpass and likely decided this would reduce maintenance costs.

Old Posted Aug 16, 2022, 5:37 PM

Frustrating seeing all these downtown road renewals with no tree wells or plantings. Completed sidewalk on east side of smith with just concrete. Could have had room to plant tree in utility corridor I would think similar to Garry? Interesting that they also finished a piece of sidewalk with only asphalt adjacent to former St Regis.

Old Posted Aug 17, 2022, 1:04 PM
What could go wrong?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rivercity View Post
Interesting that they also finished a piece of sidewalk with only asphalt adjacent to former St Regis.
I think that is due to the pending (proposed) highrise development on that site. Possibly due do uncertainty over where the curb cut will be.
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted Sep 14, 2022, 6:53 PM

Has anyone driven on north archibald recently? How is the final phase of construction going on that route. North of Marion. I haven’t been in that area really at all this summer. Just curious!

Old Posted Sep 14, 2022, 7:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wpgstvsouth94 View Post
Has anyone driven on north archibald recently? How is the final phase of construction going on that route. North of Marion. I haven’t been in that area really at all this summer. Just curious!
I think that job got cancelled in March. Before the tender closed. I think there was no capacity left in the industry at that point, and they didn't want to pay extra to have job tendered this year and have it delayed to next year.

I am speaking of the road job between Marion and Plinguet.

Old Posted Sep 15, 2022, 4:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by plrh View Post
I think that job got cancelled in March. Before the tender closed. I think there was no capacity left in the industry at that point, and they didn't want to pay extra to have job tendered this year and have it delayed to next year.

I am speaking of the road job between Marion and Plinguet.
You are correct it was cancelled prior to closing, but not because of industry capacity. It was to try to redesign and add active transportation as part of the project since it wasn't included in the original tender.

Old Posted Sep 20, 2022, 3:58 PM

One Side Parking?

I have not been able to find an answer here: maybe someone here can.

I lived in different Canadian cities and noticed, at least in my view, that streets were built wide enough to have parking on two sides of the street (residential, downtown, suburban) and have two driving lanes.

Why does Winnipeg and other cities/towns in this province only build streets wide enough to accommodate parking on only one side?

Old Posted Sep 20, 2022, 6:07 PM

So Nairn is starting to open up going towards the Louise bridge, but the lights at Archibald and Nairn, there is only one dedicated lane to go straight and the other 2 must turn left at Archibald. Does anyone know if this is permanent?

Old Posted Sep 20, 2022, 6:22 PM
What could go wrong?

I think it has always been that way. Most traffic turns left on Archibald to get to Provencher.
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted Sep 20, 2022, 8:03 PM

out of the 2 turning lanes, the right one was:

Old Posted Sep 21, 2022, 1:30 PM

It's just not fully open yet. It will be the same as it was I believe.

Old Posted Sep 21, 2022, 6:33 PM

For the sake of traffic congestion i really hope so bomberjet, but what prompted this post is that i was driving down there yesterday and the car in the right of the 2 turning lanes went straight and the way they built the new median he couldn't proceed and I had to let him in.
Fingers crossed its all works its way out once they fully open.

Old Posted Sep 21, 2022, 7:28 PM

https://winnipeg.ca/publicworks/cons...ionStaging.pdf

We're in either stage 2 or 3 of this staging plan. In stage 3 they're working on the second WB lane. So once they're done (after stage 3), it will be back to the way it was.

I'm sure there are actual drawings somewhere on the materials management website.

Old Posted Sep 21, 2022, 7:35 PM

Old Posted Sep 22, 2022, 1:26 PM

One new thing they do show is left turns from EB Nairn onto Watt St. That move has been barred since forever and you need to either shortcut on Allen or use Stadacona.

These are staging plans so maybe in the end it will be back to being barred.

Drawings are here. They don't really show anything more.
https://winnipeg.ca/MatMgt/FolderCon...2021&YEAR=2021

Old Posted Sep 22, 2022, 2:26 PM

Aside from the disreali bridge, why did Winnipeg never build any freeways? As the city grows shouldn't the city look into building some?

Old Posted Sep 22, 2022, 2:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luisito View Post
Aside from the disreali bridge, why did Winnipeg never build any freeways? As the city grows shouldn't the city look into building some?
Never seen a need for it I guess. There were plans for a handful of Downtown routes that would have leveled the Exchange District, which is now cherished.

I doubt there would be an appetite for a freeway running through Downtown, now that the negatives of bulldozing entire neighbourhoods for the sake of moving cars are much more apparent and publicly known. Better to focus on public transit.

The only thing that might become a freeway in Winnipeg is the inner ring road. Bishop Grandin Boulevard, extended west and then north to William Clement Parkway, which becomes Moray. Then extended to Sturgeon Creek rd and Centreport. From there, it runs north and connected to Chief Peguis trail, which will likely connect to Plessis and then back to Bishop.

There are a lot of missing segments to the inner ring road and many sections are not suitable for freeway upgrades unless there is a huge amount of money spent on it. There were also a lot of sections where poor choices of intersection locations will mean a lot of reorganizing of neighbourhood roads, even where there is a nice ROW for interchanges.

Old Posted Sep 22, 2022, 3:36 PM
What could go wrong?

Winnipeg - the only city of any significant size on the planet (developed or developing nation) that doesn't have a single stretch of freeway - urban or suburban or in the rest of the province for that matter. I challenge anyone to try and find one.

I am not advocating for the 50's and 60's style of neighborhood destruction, but I find it inconceivable that our leaders - municipal and provincial keep plodding out the same slogan that we want to be a leader in transportation when we don't have one instance of a limited access roadway....anywhere.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan