HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted May 25, 2022, 6:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueandgoldguy View Post
The transformation of the park over the past decade and a half has been exceptional. Hopefully the next CEO's legacy will be a long overdue aquarium(s).
That's a good one. What is also on my wish list are just spot improvements to the unsexy stuff like pathways, lighting, benches, fences, planters, that kind of thing. Keep making it look nicer all around.

Also the playground... considering how big the space is and how busy it gets, there isn't a ton of equipment there. Even just adding a typical neighbourhood play structure for kids would be a huge improvement IMO.

Old Posted May 25, 2022, 7:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueandgoldguy View Post
The transformation of the park over the past decade and a half has been exceptional. Hopefully the next CEO's legacy will be a long overdue aquarium(s).
Aquariums are not a big draw anymore and are looked down upon. Unless it's a native specit one. But the moment you start bringing in large salt water mammals you kinda cross that line and go back to the ideals of the 1970's.

I'd like to see a more free roaming areas like we did with the polar bears. I know they wanted to do more in the west half of the zoo. But that seemed to be forgotten.

They really need to do something with the old Zoo parking lot though. It's a big eyesore now. Or better yet just have two entrances like we used to. But the amount of temporary trailers there now and the state of the parking lot itself is a joke. I know that the trailers need to be there temporary. But the parking lot really doesn't need to look the way it does.

Bike paths are not the greatest. As mentioned better lighting would be wonderful. Better signage would also go a long way. Heck they still have the old conservatory sign up. All they did was paint over it lol.

The new gardens outside the Leaf are pretty cool I have to admit. Can hardlye wait for the leaf to open.

Old Posted May 25, 2022, 7:49 PM

^ I wasn't thinking of the Sea World Shamu model of the 1960s, but more like what they have in Vancouver which is pretty eco-conscious.

Old Posted May 25, 2022, 9:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
^ I wasn't thinking of the Sea World Shamu model of the 1960s, but more like what they have in Vancouver which is pretty eco-conscious.
Yes, something like that...or maybe like Quebec City minus the walrus displays of course.

Old Posted Dec 4, 2022, 5:57 PM

The Leaf is, at long last, officially open

https://winnipeg.ctvnews.ca/it-s-fab...park-1.6180365

I plan to get out there as soon as I am able

Old Posted Dec 6, 2022, 5:10 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by zalf View Post
The Leaf is, at long last, officially open

https://winnipeg.ctvnews.ca/it-s-fab...park-1.6180365

I plan to get out there as soon as I am able
$15.50 seems a little steep to do a 1/2 hour walkthrough to look at plants?

I can go to Lacoste and walk through for free~

Old Posted Dec 6, 2022, 1:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrskylar View Post
$15.50 seems a little steep to do a 1/2 hour walkthrough to look at plants?

I can go to Lacoste and walk through for free~
perfect go to Lacoste, the rest of us that want to will go, happy to know I wont see you there!

Old Posted Dec 6, 2022, 2:18 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by wags_in_the_peg View Post
perfect go to Lacoste, the rest of us that want to will go, happy to know I wont see you there!
Good that you plan on going, go often because $75 million in public funding went into the elites $130 million dollar vanity project, the diversity in the name shows they really do care!

No money to help alleviate homelessness but lots for some to look at plants!

Old Posted Dec 6, 2022, 2:34 PM

Quote:
Good that you plan on going, go often because $75 million in public funding went into the elites $130 million dollar vanity project, the diversity in the name shows they really do care!

you're a joke of a human being for making statements like that. There's has been millions poured in and continue to have more poured in by all levels of gov't. Read the newspaper, it's not just for your bird cage you know. Is it enough $ to eliminate, no it never will be.

Old Posted Dec 6, 2022, 3:07 PM

It’s quite the experience, the $40 membership for unlimited visits is worth it. It took us about 2 hours to go through the full facility.

In The Future Every Building Will Be World-Famous For Fifteen Minutes.

Instagram

Old Posted Dec 6, 2022, 3:17 PM

Yeah when I tell friends and family visiting form out of town I always send them to the garden centers cause its cheaper. Same with the zoo, i tell them to skip it and just hit up Petland for a cheaper experience. Everyone is usually thrilled.

Old Posted Dec 6, 2022, 3:57 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by rivercity View Post
Yeah when I tell friends and family visiting form out of town I always send them to the garden centers cause its cheaper. Same with the zoo, i tell them to skip it and just hit up Petland for a cheaper experience. Everyone is usually thrilled.
Just curious, do you run to the Human Rights Museum multiple times a year as well to see a whole of empty?

Old Posted Dec 6, 2022, 4:01 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by wags_in_the_peg View Post
you're a joke of a human being for making statements like that. There's has been millions poured in and continue to have more poured in by all levels of gov't. Read the newspaper, it's not just for your bird cage you know. Is it enough $ to eliminate, no it never will be.
No money for a lot essentials in this city and province but always a lot of money to throw at the Assiniboine Park Conservancy!

Enjoy looking at the ferns while those less fortunate try to stay warm in tents on the riverbanks!

Old Posted Dec 6, 2022, 4:21 PM

We, as a city and province, should definitely be doing something to alleviate the homeless situation in the city however i also think that having attractions is important.. I am of the opinion that we can have both. Would you prefer to live in a city of just stroads and big box stores?

Old Posted Dec 6, 2022, 4:37 PM
BANNED

Quote:
We, as a city and province, should definitely be doing something to alleviate the homeless situation in the city however i also think that having attractions is important.. I am of the opinion that we can have both. Would you prefer to live in a city of just stroads and big box stores?
Well I think Edmonton is a nice city!

Old Posted Dec 6, 2022, 5:21 PM

Quote:

The feds have literally committed billions to this in the last few years
https://www.canada.ca/en/office-infr...hing-home.html
That's just Reaching Home and doesn't include billions for the rapid housing initiative.

If you're really so concerned about the homeless there are LOTS of local organizations that would love to have you volunteer your time or make a donation instead of just virtue-signaling on the internet. Either put your money where your mouth is or stop the virtue-signaling.

Old Posted Dec 6, 2022, 5:56 PM
What could go wrong?

Quote:

This is funny stuff. I laughed when I read it.

...thanks for the tip!
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted Dec 6, 2022, 6:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardTH View Post
That's just Reaching Home and doesn't include billions for the rapid housing initiative.

That's not enough. We need to attack the root causes....

Old Posted Dec 6, 2022, 9:21 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardTH View Post

If you're really so concerned about the homeless there are LOTS of local organizations that would love to have you volunteer your time or make a donation instead of just virtue-signaling on the internet. Either put your money where your mouth is or stop the virtue-signaling.
I’m virtue signalling you right now with a hand gesture which requires lifting only one finger, guess which finger!?

Old Posted Dec 6, 2022, 9:44 PM

Quote:
I’m virtue signalling you right now with a hand gesture which requires lifting only one finger, guess which finger!?
Are thumbs considered fingers?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan