HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Skyscraper & Highrise Construction

Old Posted Mar 3, 2020, 6:46 PM
DENNAB

Quote:
In the Vista Tower thread chris08876 recently posted this breathtaking photo of the Chicago skyline, and I am trying to visualize how 400 LSD would look from this angle. Considering that it's barely taller than One Bennett Park (837 ft), and is located right next to it, and also has similarly light colors, I think 400 LSD and OBP would appear to fuse into one big blob and thus won't be very noticeable. 1,100 ft with a darker color would have worked significantly better IMO.

On the bright side it's a credit to Chicago's epic skyline how little impact an 1100, and especially 875 foot tower make. 2K was the ticket.

Old Posted Mar 4, 2020, 4:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pianowizard View Post
In the Vista Tower thread chris08876 recently posted this breathtaking photo of the Chicago skyline, and I am trying to visualize how 400 LSD would look from this angle. Considering that it's barely taller than One Bennett Park (837 ft), and is located right next to it, and also has similarly light colors, I think 400 LSD and OBP would appear to fuse into one big blob and thus won't be very noticeable. 1,100 ft with a darker color would have worked significantly better IMO.

Old Posted Mar 4, 2020, 5:50 PM

rgarri4, excellent work as always! I wish the developer would see this model and realize how insignificant the project would look in the grand scheme of things, which might convince them to add back some of the lost height.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zapatan View Post
On the bright side it's a credit to Chicago's epic skyline how little impact an 1100, and especially 875 foot tower make.
What's more, this 875 ft tower is on the riverfront, and yet its impact is still minimal!

Old Posted Mar 5, 2020, 1:27 AM

Sorry to be late to the party but this is pathetic. I thought 1100 ft for the tallest was a let down. I don't even know how to describe this. This is such a waste of a fantastic site with a foundation already in place to support more than a supertall. This is a site that because of its past history and investment as well as unique location at the nexus of the River and Lake demands a building that will be prominent on the skyline from all angles. I find it ironic and disturbing that the tallest buildings that Related now seems to be planning for the 78 are taller than this. This site should have a far taller building than the 78.

I also disagree with Alderman Reilly about the removal of the podium and the hotel. I don't normally like podiums but at this location a well designed podium would have screened off LSD from the neighborhood and created an amenity deck that would have allowed building users to have outdoor space that rose above LSD and overlooked the Lake. The hotel wasn't going to be very large (175 rooms) and the original Fordham Spire proposal had a hotel (as well as podium) and was approved. Reilly may not have wanted a height reduction but his interference seems to have led to a situation where the developer believed it was no longer profitable to build a supertall.

I still wish Related would just go with one tower that uses the old Spire foundation efficiently and is at least a supertall.

This site and Wolf Point both should have significant height by global standards and significant architecture. At Wolf Point we are getting mediocrity for both and here we are getting mediocrity for height while the jury is out on the architecture.

Old Posted Mar 5, 2020, 1:34 AM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

This Brendan Reilly fella sounds like major pain. I keep hearing his name thrown around, and while I don't follow Chicago as much as I should, he sounds like a royal pain with all these demands.

Maybe Related will change its mind. Sometimes good things may happen. Prime area, so I hope this manifests to something worthwhile.

With the spire foundation, would cut down costs. I mean why spend more hard costs when the foundation framework is already there (the hole at least, digging is expensive).

I do not understand why they are mitigating themselves so much (Related) when the market overtime will aid them in making this profitable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2PRUROCKS! View Post
I find it ironic and disturbing that the tallest buildings that Related now seems to be planning for the 78 are taller than this. This site should have a far taller building than the 78.
Local opposition? Maybe Related doesn't want to deal with the bs.

Old Posted Mar 5, 2020, 6:42 AM

I know that height isn't the most important thing when we get down to the economics of development. I just don't think this site should be settled on this development.

This entire area of Chicago is getting filled out and this site is a defining part of the skyline with rich history. We don't need to set a world record, but there should be something that commands respect here.

I hate to say it, but let this fail. We have a ton of cool developments going on right now. Maybe even join the nimbys if it will push the developer out.

We are a world class city.

Old Posted Mar 5, 2020, 2:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by we the people View Post
I know that height isn't the most important thing when we get down to the economics of development. I just don't think this site should be settled on this development.

This entire area of Chicago is getting filled out and this site is a defining part of the skyline with rich history. We don't need to set a world record, but there should be something that commands respect here.

I hate to say it, but let this fail. We have a ton of cool developments going on right now. Maybe even join the nimbys if it will push the developer out.

We are a world class city.
Yes I agree, never thought I would say it, but it may be best to let this Related project fail as it is now proposed.. Also I wonder if Daley or Rahm was in charge as Mayor would 400 N Lakeshore Drive be more grand than this latest design..or does a Mayor have much input in what is developed. It may be possible that some of us are over-reacting but disappointment will do that. Will be very interesting to see how this unfolds, something tells me this is still a work in progress.

Old Posted Mar 5, 2020, 2:54 PM

Some users on this forum have taught me that quality over quantity applies to floor count

Of course the height chop is disappointing, but this is out of my control, and i'm still excited for the impact this will have on the mouth of the river, an entrance to our skyline

Old Posted Mar 5, 2020, 3:02 PM
All-American City Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by cozy View Post
Some users on this forum have taught me that quality over quantity applies to floor count

Of course the height chop is disappointing, but this is out of my control, and i'm still excited for the impact this will have on the mouth of the river, an entrance to our skyline
Your signature of "Make no little plans" contradicts your acceptance of a height chop.
4. Chicago Board of Trade - Chicago - Holabird & Root - Photo
5. Cathedral of Learning - Pittsburgh - Charles Klauder - Photo

Old Posted Mar 5, 2020, 3:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by we the people View Post
I hate to say it, but let this fail.
Quote:
Originally Posted by skysoar View Post
Yes I agree, never thought I would say it, but it may be best to let this Related project fail as it is now proposed..
On this forum I have never wanted a project to fail, but I have to agree with you both on this particular proposal. Based on the official rendering, the revised design still looks halfway decent when viewed up close, but rgarri4's model shows that it contributes little to the overall skyline. This prime location has a unique potential to do much more, so let's not waste it.

Old Posted Mar 5, 2020, 3:50 PM
Marina City

Put these buildings in the 78. They will probably get value engineered further anyway. I know 1000ft is supposedly just a number around here, but I am sick of being disappointed by the height chops below that level. One Chicago, Wolf Point South, Waterview (thanks again Related), 1000 S. Michigan and now this in this most prominent location.

Old Posted Mar 6, 2020, 12:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomrQT View Post
Your signature of "Make no little plans" contradicts your acceptance of a height chop.
hahaha! you are right, Burnham would not be proud..

Old Posted Mar 6, 2020, 1:33 AM

Has there ever been a time when people on this forum organized and publicly voiced dissent as a unified front?

Old Posted Mar 6, 2020, 3:21 PM
DENNAB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darude_Sandstorm View Post
Has there ever been a time when people on this forum organized and publicly voiced dissent as a unified front?
Not sure but protests for a taller building should totally be a thing, the opposite of NIMBY rallies.

Old Posted Mar 6, 2020, 7:09 PM
All-American City Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zapatan View Post
Not sure but protests for a taller building should totally be a thing, the opposite of NIMBY rallies.
Nice, just need to name our Organization/Participants.

YIMBYs?
SHUBs (Stop Holding Us Back)
WNTTMs (We Need The Tax Money - pronounced Winnettems)
AHW (Aim High Willis)
RFTS (Reach For The Sky)

I'm just kidding around with these, just a preemptive warning for the pearl clutchers who take things so seriously around here.

Old Posted Mar 6, 2020, 11:26 PM

Lol. NIMBYMTTS.

NIMBY Move To The Suburbs.

Old Posted Mar 6, 2020, 11:33 PM

If you're compelled to protest the height, design, program or whatever you can always attend the meeting on Tuesday. . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brendan Reilly
Community Presentation for 400 North Lake Shore Drive Next TuesdayLSD400

Alderman Reilly invites you to join him at an informational presentation regarding the revised development proposal for the property located at 400 North Lake Shore Drive.

As you know, in 2018 Related Midwest proposed a mixed use tower that did not move forward. Over the past several months, the Developer has worked to address the many significant concerns about the hotel use, the tall podium base of the buildings, traffic concerns for East North Water Street, and security issues on the Riverwalk and at DuSable Park.

Related Midwest has submitted a revised proposal for the development of two residential buildings 875' and 765' in height containing approximately 1,100 residential units with ground floor commercial and amenity space.

WHAT: 400 North Lake Shore Drive, Chicago, Illinois
WHO: Hosted by Alderman Brendan Reilly and SOAR
WHEN: Tuesday, March 10 at 6:00 pm
WHERE: Intercontinental Hotel Chicago, 505 N. Michigan Avenue

Alderman Reilly works hard to provide an open and transparent community review of all local development proposals. He hopes you can join him to engage in a direct dialogue with the development teams to gain a better understanding of these proposals and receive answers to any questions you may have.

In the meantime, if our office can be of assistance to you, please do not hesitate to contact Alderman Reilly's office at 312-744-3062.
[/reminder]

Pretty sure anyone involved in the project is not listening here. . . I avoid those meetings as they are generally filled with neighborhood geezers who use it as an opportunity to complain about anything and everything unrelated to the building, but you might find it of some use. . . there's always a chance your opinions /won't/ be shouted down by an army of Matlock fans, but that hasn't been my experience. . .

. . .

Old Posted Mar 7, 2020, 3:17 AM
All-American City Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom In Chicago View Post
shouted down by an army of Matlock fans

Old Posted Mar 10, 2020, 1:32 PM

Who's all going tonight? I'll be there.

Old Posted Mar 10, 2020, 3:16 PM

I can’t go, I wish you all luck.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Skyscraper & Highrise Construction