HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Supertall Construction

Two World Trade Center in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • New York Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
New York Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Jan 24, 2020, 4:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Visionist View Post
I will always disbelieve the idea that the spire's cladding was impractical to repair if it suffered lightning damage. Did a bunch of monkeys design it?! The panels were designed to be lightweight. String a tackle from the spire's apex, send up a couple guys to dismount the damaged panel and lower it down, and reverse the process for the replacement panel, surely? The whole thing would take one working day, winds permitting.

Lucky Larry pocketed that 50 million. Buys a nice yacht I guess. What really boils the blood is how renders continue to show the original cladding to this day.
Stop spreading misinformation. It was Durst that killed the spire cover

Old Posted Jan 24, 2020, 5:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris08876 View Post
1 WTC, for all its flaws, IMO, completes the skyline with respect to Lower Manhattan.
I have to take issue with this. It isn't even close to what was there before. 2WTC or not. The skyline is still very much naked without the Twin Towers. Having 3WTC and 4WTC so tall also diminishes the presence of 1WTC greatly.

Anything other than rebuilding those titans stronger and taller was never enough. 1WTC isn't a terrible building but it and it's like would have been more suited to the Hudson Yards development in hindsight.

Fosters 2WTC was mine and I'm sure many people's favorite tower and now the chances are it's going to be downgraded. Could have been iconic in it's own right.

Old Posted Jan 24, 2020, 7:20 PM
DENNAB

^^ I agree 100%, the exposed spire is atrocious too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyHigher View Post
Fosters 2WTC was mine and I'm sure many people's favorite tower and now the chances are it's going to be downgraded. Could have been iconic in it's own right.
What makes you say it'll be downgraded?

Old Posted Jan 24, 2020, 8:07 PM

How come the people with the least posts usually are the ones complaining about the rebuilding effort? Many men and women have worked tirelessly to get the site up and running again.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2020, 12:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zapatan View Post
^^ I agree 100%, the exposed spire is atrocious too.

What makes you say it'll be downgraded?
I dunno just have a bad feeling. But there is no reason for it to happen so here's hoping.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MercurySky View Post
How come the people with the least posts usually are the ones complaining about the rebuilding effort? Many men and women have worked tirelessly to get the site up and running again.
It was and is nothing to do with the effort. The politics of it all was always the issue.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2020, 4:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pianowizard View Post
2001 ft would be appropriate, to commemorate the year when the original twin towers were destroyed. This way, the structural heights of both 1 WTC and 2 WTC would be symbolic.
This is f'ing brilliant, actually. You really should tweet this @ the higher-ups on this project...Silverstein and Foster themselves, if they have Twitter. U never know

Old Posted Jan 25, 2020, 11:45 AM
JoeCooper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickey Bricks View Post
This is f'ing brilliant, actually. You really should tweet this @ the higher-ups on this project...Silverstein and Foster themselves, if they have Twitter. U never know
Hey for sure! I personally emailed the Silverstein Organization as well as Foster and Associates appealing for them to do the right thing. I didn't hear anything back, but at least it was worth a try and did something. Every little bit helps and it sure wouldn't hurt. The only way things won't go the way they should is if nobody tries.

Old Posted Jan 26, 2020, 2:34 PM

They should build a taller Foster-designed 2 WTC (retaining the four diamonds on top), restore Windows on the World. The Lower Manhattan skyline from the Stature of Liberty vantage point will resemble a big finger to those that perpetrated the horrible event that took place 19 years ago.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2020, 6:02 PM
New Yorker for life

When it comes to Foster and the WTC, this will always be my favorite...

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2020, 11:14 PM

At first, I strongly disliked the original design for Tower 2, but that it might return, I can't wait to see it rise!!!

Old Posted Jan 28, 2020, 4:18 AM
BANNED

If it's a VE'd job I would be pissed if I were a supporter of the Foster design. I hope they just go for a new design rather than ruining that one. The VE of 3WTC really pissed me off as I like detailed facades and the current iteration is just dull. I think everybody here should be terrified that this thing will be VE'd into a box with no crown. Given what they did to 3, it isn't far fetched. Also, current business trends favor boring fat boxy towers like in HY. Also Larry is awful. Never forgive him for ruining the WTC with his shit designs. 1WTC for one was a major disappointment for example. . The building is not very memorable or iconic, I doubt a foreigner would even give it much of a glance unless they are skyscraper wonk. Should have gone with Renzo Piano or Fosters original (but Foster has declined since that) or somebody like that over boring Childs.

Last edited by aquablue; Jan 28, 2020 at 4:31 AM.

Old Posted Jan 28, 2020, 5:06 AM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

All about the amenities and accommodations for clients. We will not see a budget design. Something will rise here, and the latest news is optimistic. Something to fill the void already and return this corner of NYC to something that still doesn't visibly scar the area, such as an incomplete tower close to 19 years later.

Going back to amenities and accommodations, the Foster design will have this in mind, and with it, the corresponding changes to the tower.

Without clients and the lease agreements, these towers do not rise. So one can understand why developers tend to cater to the needs and demands of the current market.

As much as we would all like some mega tall or the original Foster design untouched, the market speaks! Also capital as well. Gotta have the money, and sometimes, cutting corners is the side effect if the capital isn't there or the risk is unfavorable.

Old Posted Jan 29, 2020, 8:37 AM

Outdoor terraces (or balconies as I call them) could be incorporated in the notches at the sides of the building, going all the way up.

Old Posted Jan 31, 2020, 6:03 AM
BANNED

I bet a good amount that the diamonds will be simplified or removed outright, it's the way design is done today, superfluous stuff is often cut in the name of all mighty profits

Last edited by aquablue; Jan 31, 2020 at 6:27 AM.

Old Posted Jan 31, 2020, 4:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquablue View Post
I bet a good amount that the diamonds will be simplified or removed outright, it's the way design is done today, superfluous stuff is often cut in the name of all mighty profits
Well, that’s just it, isn’t it?

The diamonds pointing downward were intended, not just to be decorative, but to mean something — their downward tilt was a homage to hallowed ground, bowing before it. As an added benefit, they were stunning in their own right, and echoed the original Libeskind master plan, which displayed stand-in buildings with tops pointing down to the footprints of the old twins.

For that matter, Foster’s original master plan for the site, which should have been chosen, also meant something, in addition to be absolutely stunning in its own right, without any historical allusion. But the “kissing towers” allusion was to rebuild the twins, taller and better, but conjoined — the twins bonded together more tightly than before, in defiance and repudiation of those who committed the deranged, dastardly act of mass murder on 9/11.

Richard Meier’s site plan, sadly brushed aside, also meant something — the twins replaced by a sentinel-like guard of spare, interlocking towers, which would have been, to my knowledge, architecturally unique. They would have been guardians standing like an honor guard of soldiers over hallowed ground, and visually they were stunning.

Libeskind’s off-center spire meant something — an allusion to the lifted torch of the Statue of Liberty. Instead, we got a bland corporate drone tower with a gigantic toothpick stuck on top. Even the sculptural radome, which would have redeemed this thing a bit, though still without any historical allusion, was scrapped to save the wealthy Durst a few bloody bucks!

2 World Trade is the last chance to build a structure that means something to this specific site, an architectural semiotics for hallowed ground. Of course, I’m sure the diamonds will be scrapped and another bland, soulless tower will be erected, a sad but somehow fitting coda to a quartet of mediocrity. Profit über alles!

Old Posted Jan 31, 2020, 7:38 PM

They're not going to VE the tower's primary architectural feature. Christ you guys.

Old Posted Jan 31, 2020, 9:39 PM
Fake News

Quote:
Originally Posted by uaarkson View Post
They're not going to VE the tower's primary architectural feature. Christ you guys.
Prepare to be sorely disappointed.

Old Posted Jan 31, 2020, 10:31 PM
BANNED

NY builds the best office towers in the US by far. This will be Larry’s legacy, and it will be amazing.

Old Posted Jan 31, 2020, 10:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by O-tacular View Post
Prepare to be sorely disappointed.
I'm sure they'll find some way to fuck it up just like 1 and 3. But this talk of removing the diamonds is just fear-mongering nonsense.

Old Posted Jan 31, 2020, 11:06 PM

If they were smart they would push to go mixed use and make the top 10 floors/diamond section residential. Those condos would $ell and they would have less office to lease plus a different business model for financing.

I don’t think it would take too much work to redesign the top to be a dozen or so penthouses

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Supertall Construction