HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Proposals

Old Posted Jun 30, 2020, 12:39 AM
Tony V / ValuezTV

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestPassyunk1 View Post
It's big and it was on a roll until COVID put the breaks on the world. This announcement is certainly positive, but always good to be cautiously optimistic I suppose. Besides, lots of those science based companies seem to need / like custom builds that are more suited for Navy Yard and West Philly.

Even though those districts have shockingly attracted out of town established companies, I can't see a 500 foot tower of science labs being built (especially on spec). Hoping more will be revealed-- lots of potential here!
Correct me if I'm wrong but wouldn't Covid be a push in the direction of more funding and respect for science/medical.

This would result in better techniques & treatment for future diseases and aliments.

I can see covid making it harder for commercial and residential, not Science/medical.

Old Posted Jun 30, 2020, 1:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyTone View Post
Correct me if I'm wrong but wouldn't Covid be a push in the direction of more funding and respect for science/medical.

This would result in better techniques & treatment for future diseases and aliments.

I can see covid making it harder for commercial and residential, not Science/medical.
The thing to keep in mind is not how things are today, but how they will be in 2-3 years (if they started construction now.) Hopefully this stupid pandemic will be history by then. Meds and eds will always be major drivers of the philly economy, but not the only ones. There will be a need for conventional office space, not just space dedicated to medical research. I am cautiously optimistic that this will be built soon, and that it won't necessarily depend on the medical industry.

Old Posted Sep 5, 2020, 5:07 PM

Office Tower To Rise Near City Hall At 1301 Market Street

Quote:
For well over a decade, a parking lot at 1301 Market Street spanned much of the block located just east of City Hall. However, in the near future the lot will make way for a 460-foot, 32-story office tower designed by Skidmore, Owings and Merrill, which will feature massive floor plates.

Despite the height reduction, the building will still rise prominently above the surroundings, providing dramatic views of the Philadelphia skyline and a direct, close-up view of City Hall to the west.

The tower is anticipated to be completed in 2024.
Read more here:
https://phillyyimby.com/2020/08/bulk...et-street.html

Old Posted Sep 5, 2020, 5:35 PM
Chris

Quote:
Originally Posted by summersm343 View Post

Read more here:
The height reduction stinks, but still a solid tower. A Park Avenue-esque look to it.

But is this a legit project now? Completion by 2024 seems more schematic still. Plus, finding tenants to commit during this odd time, especially in Philadelphia...

If leadership in City Hall showed even the most remote interest in attracting new businesses/companies into the city, then this tower would have a chance. But asking the mayor and council to do something logical is a dream.

Covid actually provides a chance for Philadelphia to lure business from New York, San Fran, Seattle and other expensive cities facing unrest.
Our suburban region seems to get that point, but not city leadership...
The anti-business mentality/environment makes projects like these almost impossible to get built, unless of course a company already in the city plays musical chairs (like Aramark and large law firms).

Sorry for the rant

Old Posted Sep 5, 2020, 5:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHLtoNYC View Post
The height reduction stinks, but still a solid tower. A Park Avenue-esque look to it.

But is this a legit project now? Completion by 2024 seems more schematic still. Plus, finding tenants to commit during this odd time, especially in Philadelphia...

If leadership in City Hall showed even the most remote interest in attracting new businesses/companies into the city, then this tower would have a chance. But asking the mayor and council to do something logical is a dream.

Covid actually provides a chance for Philadelphia to lure business from New York, San Fran, Seattle and other expensive cities facing unrest.
Our suburban region seems to get that point, but not city leadership...
The anti-business mentality/environment makes projects like these almost impossible to get built, unless of course a company already in the city plays musical chairs (like Aramark and large law firms).

Sorry for the rant
Good points. Facing budget shortfalls in every department, as the poorest major city in America attempts to weather an unprecedented global pandemic, the city should... ::checks notes::... Give money and financial incentives to big business?

Jesus christ

Anywayyyyyy. Nice building, hope it's built.

Old Posted Sep 5, 2020, 11:33 PM
Midrise

Quote:

Read more here:
This isn't news at all though. It's completely derived from the June 21st Philadelphia Business Journal article previously cited here.

https://www.bizjournals.com/philadel...01-market.html

Old Posted Jun 5, 2022, 9:21 AM

Old Posted Jun 5, 2022, 3:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanpau View Post
"Available Spring 2022."

This might be a bit dated

Old Posted Jun 5, 2022, 3:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CleetMcDougle View Post
"Available Spring 2022."

This might be a bit dated
Well, they DO still have another two weeks to make good on that.

Old Posted Jun 5, 2022, 4:18 PM

Hopefully "available Spring 2022" means they're putting it on the market to be leased...but I'm sure they already done that. Hopefully SOM gives this building a better design, we all know they can do a lot better. I even liked the 500 foot design more

Old Posted Jun 5, 2022, 4:21 PM

And I just stumbled upon a link that's shows the old design. Have any of you seen this?
https://www.studioj9.com/1301marketstreet

Old Posted Jun 5, 2022, 10:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TK2001 View Post
And I just stumbled upon a link that's shows the old design. Have any of you seen this?
https://www.studioj9.com/1301marketstreet
No

Old Posted Jun 5, 2022, 11:15 PM
Philly Rising Up!

I give this a zero chance of happening in the next 24-36 months. All the momentum is over by University City and directly across from the Schuykill River trial.

Old Posted Jun 6, 2022, 3:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iheartphilly View Post
I give this a zero chance of happening in the next 24-36 months. All the momentum is over by University City and directly across from the Schuykill River trial.
Zero chance.

Old Posted Jun 6, 2022, 3:19 PM

They need to totally rethink the concept for this site. Pure office towers are going the way of the dinosaurs in general, not just (even if especially) at Market East.

Old Posted Jun 6, 2022, 3:38 PM
Philly Rising Up!

O.T.P. Corp should really just sell the parking lot to someone else more ambitious to develop this lot with more creativity and energy to get a major tenant for the project. They've been sitting on this with the mindset that it should be an office tower. Maybe they forget about the pandemic and shift to WFT/Remote working and the demand for an office tower.

Old Posted Jun 9, 2022, 9:20 PM

Agree 100% that OTP should just sell this property.

Each rendition of their tower gets shorter and uglier. I'd rather their plan not happen at all anymore.

Old Posted Jun 9, 2022, 9:45 PM

Quote:
Agree 100% that OTP should just sell this property.

Each rendition of their tower gets shorter and uglier. I'd rather their plan not happen at all anymore.
This location needs a showstopper

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Proposals