Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture

Old Posted May 2, 2007, 11:02 AM
My Mind Has Left My Body

The Race for the Tallest Skyscraper

http://news.yahoo.com/s/bw/20070501/...ssgvyuItPMWM0F

The Race for the Tallest Skyscraper

By Brian Bremner
Tue May 1, 8:08 AM ET

The race among the world's cities to build the ultimate record-busting, flat-out tallest skyscraper on the planet is fast and furious. And the obsession to build mega-structures in nosebleed territory is particularly acute in much of economically dynamic Asia and the oil-rich Middle East

The frenzy of high-powered construction projects promises to transform 21st century skyscraper architecture in a big way. Currently, eight of the world's tallest 10 skyscrapers are in the region. And the present reigning champ among skyscrapers globally is Taiwan's Taipei 101, a structure that climbs up 509 meters or 1,671 feet.

Of course, a super-sized building boom is now raging in parts of the Middle East such as Dubai, Abu Dhabi, Kuwait, and Saudi Arabia. In fact, Samsung snagged the construction work for the monstrously high Burj Dubai, a tower complex slated to reach 800 meters (2,624 ft.) in height--which will easily blow by Taipei 101 when it's completed in late 2008. (It was designed by the U.S. architectural firm of Skidmore, Owings & Merrill. The architect was Adrian Smith (news, bio, voting record).)

"Something More Reflective"

Even lesser-known regional cities with a burning ambition to make their mark, view big, gutsy, and distinctively designed skyscrapers as potential game-changers--and are willing to offer serious incentives to get them. That's pretty much what city leaders in the South Korean port city of Busan (formerly known as Pusan) hope to accomplish with the planned 560-m. (1,837-ft.) Millennium Tower World Business Center, expected to be completed in 2010 or 2011.

This will be no bland monolith. New York-based Asymptote Architecture, which won an international design competition for the project that will spawn the tallest building in Asia, came up with a concept that features three tapered towers emerging from a powerful base foundation of floors. It offers stunning ocean and mountain views. "They were looking for something bold," says Hani Rashid, a principal architect with Asymptote. "We actually went in and tried to do something more reflective, to reset the game in terms of this tower mania " in Asia.

Whether the Millennium Tower in Busan (a city also hoping to host the 2020 Summer Olympic Games) results in a huge economic lift is uncertain. But plenty of cities in Asia are definitely willing to roll the dice, and that's sweet news for international architectural firms and general contractors alike. "The market outlook for ultra-high buildings in the region is pretty bright," says Kang Sun Jong, vice-president in charge of architectural design and consulting at Samsung.

Economy Drivers

These super-structures are about more than just civic pride. Well-executed skyscrapers can be a real economic-development driver. Consider the 452-m. (1,483-ft.) Petronas Twin Towers in Kuala Lumpur, built in 1998, which was the world's tallest until it was eclipsed by Taipei 101 just six years later.

The Petronas Towers " may no longer be the tallest building in the world, but it changed Malaysia and the perception of Kuala Lumpur" worldwide, says Goh Tuan Sui, chief executive officer of property consultancy WTW Malaysia. "A world-class building can also raise the bar for other buildings in the city, be it malls, office blocks, or hotels," he adds.

When it comes to sheer scale of tall building construction activity, it's hard to match Shanghai. Since 1990, the city has erected enough high-rises to fill a big chunk of Manhattan (see BusinessWeek.com, 2/8/07, "Shanghai Rising").

The 88-story Jin Mao Tower, with its distinctive tiered pagoda design, is the tallest building in China, rising to 421 meters, or 1,380 feet, or at least it will be until the 492-m. (1,614-ft.) Shanghai World Financial Center is completed in 2008.

Girding for Materials Shortages

So is the current wave of next-generation skyscrapers starting to bump against the limits of modern-day construction engineering and material science? Rashid, with Asymptote Architecture, doesn't think so, given new construction materials coming onstream, advances in computer-aided building design, and the increasing use of robotic technology in building. "There are new materials emerging that could replace steel," he says.

Probably the biggest challenge for general contractors at the moment is getting their hands on needed engineering and construction talent, and even some basic construction materials, in a timely fashion, given the construction boom in Asia and the Middle East. "So many projects are being undertaken at the same time that securing in-time delivery of construction materials has emerged as a challenging task," says Samsung's Kang in reference to the Burj Dubai project.

As long as city planners in Asia and the Middle East have the financial wherewithal and vision to keep pushing the limits of construction engineering, the global "edifice complex" seems sure to continue.

Old Posted May 3, 2007, 7:21 PM
loving that Gary skyline

I think that Ashtabula's gonna get it

Old Posted May 3, 2007, 11:28 PM
I Couldn't Tell Anyone

Aww, look. Their skyscrapers are so cute.

Old Posted May 4, 2007, 2:16 AM
Monomania w/ Skyscrapers

I can't wait to see what the next decade brings in...

Old Posted May 4, 2007, 2:55 AM
NEW YORK | CHICAGO

...international pissing contest.

Old Posted May 6, 2007, 11:24 AM
· · · · · · · ·

^

Old Posted May 6, 2007, 2:24 PM
brooklyn~to~cairo

It matters because a city with several thousand years of history can be eclipsed by one young with a tall.

Cairo? Pshaw- who cares about it when Dubai has these talls?!

It is a ridiculous measure of a city, and yet quite an effective one in 2007.

It is nothing short of history repeating itself (pun intended- Alexandria)_

Old Posted May 6, 2007, 2:56 PM
World Machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by mczamalek View Post
So we can expect the Dubai Empire to someday fall.

Old Posted May 7, 2007, 10:47 PM

Wait.. what Dubai Empire? Dubai is way too overhyped, man.

Old Posted May 7, 2007, 11:48 PM
loving that Gary skyline

Quote:
Originally Posted by nygirl1 View Post
Dubai = Ithaca, NY in 2030

mark my words.

Old Posted May 9, 2007, 11:21 PM

Criteria, Impact and Symbolism

A couple of points.

1) THE CRITERIA FOR TALLEST AND HOW IT IMPACTS ARCHITECTURE

I think there is something to be said for tall and beautiful design, as opposed to just tall. Lets not forget that when Petronas was built, the criteria for tallest was determined to give it the tallest seal in a few categories and therefore the tag. People in Chicago were a little pissed because if you lined the two up, the Sears tower is clearly a hell of a lot bigger, save a little needle point at the top of Petronas. I think its funny that, seeing as though the Taipei 101, (which itself is pretty close to sears, save a flag pole looking thing and a floor) will be taller than the Shanghai World Financial center, the Chinese are now making the same complaint that Chicagoans have been making. Maybe some day this "stick a thin pole on the top of your building to be tallest" nonesense will fade away. I don't think it promotes the best architecture.

2) THE PLAYING FIELD IS BEING LEVELED

Finally, when Petronas was built, as the article states, it did have a big impact on how the city was known around the world. But today, there are far more supertall buildings in the world under construction. They used to make a huge splash, especially because the Sears held the record from 1974 to 1998, but today your tower may not be the tallest for very long ~10 years max.

As the number of supertalls increases, the likelihood of one supertall in your city being impactful will lessen. I am in favor of this, because one huge building on your skyline looks kind of lame, unless it is a beauty.

It is intriguing that while the US is still the most powerful economy on the planet, along with the combined EU. Neither of these powerful economic conglomerates has been in the tallest building race for some time. So the race field may be levelling, I think these supertalls in Asia and the ME are merely monuments to the divide between rich and poor, rather than symbols of collective achievement.

Old Posted May 10, 2007, 2:24 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by firstcranialnerve View Post
A couple of points.

1) THE CRITERIA FOR TALLEST AND HOW IT IMPACTS ARCHITECTURE

I think there is something to be said for tall and beautiful design, as opposed to just tall. Lets not forget that when Petronas was built, the criteria for tallest was determined to give it the tallest seal in a few categories and therefore the tag. People in Chicago were a little pissed because if you lined the two up, the Sears tower is clearly a hell of a lot bigger, save a little needle point at the top of Petronas. I think its funny that, seeing as though the Taipei 101, (which itself is pretty close to sears, save a flag pole looking thing and a floor) will be taller than the Shanghai World Financial center, the Chinese are now making the same complaint that Chicagoans have been making. Maybe some day this "stick a thin pole on the top of your building to be tallest" nonesense will fade away. I don't think it promotes the best architecture.

I think it was a wrong choice to pin the worlds tallest on Petronas at the time. Today it seems rather imbarassing to say the least about the voting body. The words that come to mind are lost crediblity.

see below.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLksuGUY View Post
TALLER? REALLY

Dont believe what they tell you...

Old Posted May 18, 2007, 10:06 PM

Nice to here some news about the Burj Dubai. I thought it was going under.

Old Posted Jun 2, 2007, 5:27 AM
Surrounded by Nature

Quote:
It matters because a city with several thousand years of history can be eclipsed by one young with a tall.

Well stated mczamalek--you have the right perspective of things!

Old Posted Jun 2, 2007, 6:11 AM
Crisp and Squishy

Quote:
Originally Posted by UglymanCometh View Post
Dubai = Ithaca, NY in 2030

mark my words.
And with it will bring the rise of the notorious Ex-Dubaian!

Old Posted Jun 3, 2007, 4:47 PM
Old Fart Forumer

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntonAusTirol View Post
And with it will bring the rise of the notorious Ex-Dubaian!

Does this mean I gotta stick around for another 23 years? I'll never make it.

Retired, now Grandpa Daycare

Old Posted Jun 4, 2007, 7:30 AM
Hala Wal'la

Quote:

If you want to experience the great history the world once had , visit egypt

If you want to experience the fastest and most amazing modern city in the making , visit Dubai

Yum

Old Posted Jun 4, 2007, 8:23 AM

At this point in time of rapid change and new technologies, does anyone really care who has the absolute tallest building in the world? If the Taipei 101 lasts like 2-3 years as the world's tallest, only to be eclipsed by some monstrosity in the middle east that itself will only last 1-2 years as the world's tallest, when does it all end? At what point is a structure simply 'big' and impressive?

The more and more I travel to different cities and get the chance to see tall buildings (Eiffel, ESB, WTC, Sears, CN Tower, etc.), I find myself no longer caring about which one is the absolute tallest. What matters most is the impression left on me by these amazing structures, which usu. has little to do with height. I begin to question the merit behind these seemingly pointless races from Busan to Dubai to Hong Kong to continuously one-up each other.

The Burj al-Arab may be huge and beautiful when its completed, but is it really more impressive than some of the other buildings that we already have?

Old Posted Jun 4, 2007, 9:16 AM
Hala Wal'la

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lukecuj View Post
my two points.... mass is mass. none of the new towers have it i= like sears or wtc.
There are many many towers in Dubai u/c that willl have plenty of mass , but i dont see how its your fault not knowing of them since Dubai is buildings shitloads of towers

Yum

Old Posted Jun 5, 2007, 9:29 PM
· · · · · · · ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by nygirl1 View Post

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture