HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Oct 31, 2022, 8:08 PM
surely you agree with me

^ thanks...i called them...apparently (unbelievably) they don't publish their orders. They have given them to the City Clerk's Office and it is up to them to provide public access. I called them and left a message.

great op-ed by the board chair saying how it will streamline approvals and not override local decisions....this rejection was a full year after the city gave the project unanimous support.

https://www.manitobacooperator.ca/co...-with-bill-37/

Old Posted Oct 31, 2022, 8:21 PM

Oh wow an area with a high concentration of conservatives get exactly what they want from a municipal board created by the PC government despite it being against the best interests of the city at large who would’ve guessed this was how it would be utilized. Unfortunately this is seeming to get more political then a board that is supposed to be non-partisan should be.

Oh well Charleswood can enjoy the population decline it keeps insisting on, and pushing existing residents for 50+ years to neighborhoods where they actually allow housing to be constructed. Never mind the post graduates who just want to move back where they used too live but can’t because lack of housing supply makes the area unaffordable. Just like with Tuxedo this NIMBYism and self inflicted demographic collapse will bite them in the ass.

Old Posted Oct 31, 2022, 8:38 PM

My favourite quote from a Tuxedo NIMBY, heard a few years ago: "And I'm not prejudice against Russians or anything, buuuuut..."

This was in regards to subdividing a 150' wide lot into two lots in Old Tuxedo.

Old Posted Oct 31, 2022, 9:09 PM
surely you agree with me

if you start a sentence with 'I'm not prejudiced but...." you should stop talking immediately.

Old Posted Oct 31, 2022, 9:39 PM

The NEWPCC Phase 2 project appears to be moving forward on the ground. There were several hiring postings on my union’s job listing today.

Old Posted Oct 31, 2022, 10:16 PM

It's full speed ahead. Lots of underground structures work. Deep excavations, big holes.

I'm assuming Sparky will be doing the steel work?

Old Posted Nov 1, 2022, 11:35 AM

Nah that’s for the real hardcore ironworkers. Pipe and cable more like :-)

Old Posted Nov 1, 2022, 11:55 AM

Ah ya. Sparky lol not steely.

Old Posted Nov 1, 2022, 6:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreyGarden View Post
I’m curious how this Municipal Board will work. Part of me was hoping that the standard on appeal would be whether the proposed development is “representative of good planning and urban design”. I hoped it’d price out a lot of Nimbys by effectively requiring expert planning evidence. But based on what’s being said, it doesn’t sound like infill development is all that lucrative in Winnipeg, so throwing in the possibility of having to retain planners and architects is just another level of discouragement.
"if your project is rejected, you can appeal to a body of retired small-town mayors and city councillors from other municipalities, business owners, and tory donors"

Old Posted Nov 1, 2022, 7:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by borkborkbork View Post
"if your project is rejected, you can appeal to a body of retired small-town mayors and city councillors from other municipalities, business owners, and tory donors"
You nailed it. I've had some involvement in this initiative at various levels of it's development.

It was basically created to override municipalities who are constantly rejecting hog barn proposals. For real. Yes, that's overly simplified but its the just of it.

The province has sunk a ton of money into marketing and attempting to establish itself as a major player in the world hog industry. (That may be one of the stranger sentences I have written on this forum). They want hog barn development, and they want it now and everywhere.

Municipalities aren't overly keen though on selling out residents, resources, and infrastructure for the limited tax dollars they see from such investments. In the end they are left holding the bag, literally, as in this instance manure generation/smell/disposal/contamination are all major sticking points.

Previously all a municipality had to do was pass a resolution rejecting a hog barn proposal in their municipality, if they didn't want one to establish there. No reason needed other than it's not desired. Groups of residents in close proximity are opposed? That was good enough for the municipality.

That is no longer possible. Municipalities now have a list of criteria to meet before they can reject a proposal outright, even if they do not want it. If they reject without meeting the criteria the matter is kicked to the municipal board, and more often than not a decision is rendered against what the municipality desired for a final outcome.

The province gets its hog barn and the municipality gets stepped over. How does this play over with local voters? More often than not it is fine as the majority of our rural communities are Conservatives leaning.

How does that tie into this issue? It all goes back to the purpose of the municipal board in its various locations.

In rural areas, positive decisions are seen as government action stifling small pockets of local dissent, creating jobs and helping the local economy. In urban areas, negative decisions are seen as victories for those in opposition to the project as they feel they have been heard and respected by the board. The thing is that that the chances of being heard and respected in urban areas will largely depend on what pocket of the city you live in. The province passed off its application and functionality in Winnipeg as the Province "working with developers to remove barriers to development" to ensure the City would not be responsible for delaying projects (all of this was related to and born out of the building inspection unit fiasco at City Hall a few years back.) Clearly that is not the spirit in which it will be used in Winnipeg as we are now seeing.

In the simplest and most basic sense the Conservative government of Manitoba has created this new mechanism as a means of buying good political capital with local residents who are affected by these decisions.

Old Posted Nov 1, 2022, 7:09 PM

Thanks for that WestEndWanderer. It makes sense given how much Planning legislation in Manitoba revolves around livestock. I figured that these changes to the Board mechanism had to do with growth and municipalities but what you said makes a lot of sense.

In practice, and in the context of a city like Winnipeg, can you say whether the process will be similar to the land-use planning appeal mechanism in Ontario?

Old Posted Nov 3, 2022, 2:21 AM

285 Smith

285 Smith received site prep permits for the 44 storey project. Site preparation is currently underway based on what I've seen walking by in the last few days. The plans are better too, after it went to UDAC.

Old Posted Nov 3, 2022, 12:54 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by city_slicker View Post
285 Smith received site prep permits for the 44 storey project. Site preparation is currently underway based on what I've seen walking by in the last few days. The plans are better too, after it went to UDAC.
44 storey residential?

Old Posted Nov 3, 2022, 1:21 PM

Thats the St Regis site. The big hulking ugliness.

Old Posted Nov 3, 2022, 1:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulR View Post
44 storey residential?
30 storey parking garage... 14 residential.

Old Posted Nov 3, 2022, 1:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewIreland View Post
30 storey parking garage... 14 residential.
lmao

Old Posted Nov 3, 2022, 1:49 PM
What could go wrong?

Quote:
Originally Posted by city_slicker View Post
Good news on the permits.

All the action at the 285 site is related to the Smith St reconstruction. In my last conversation with the developers, they would be looking at starting in spring 2023.
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted Nov 3, 2022, 1:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
Thats the St Regis site. The big hulking ugliness.
More residents downtown is more residents downtown, can’t win em all. Maybe it’ll be better looking final product.

Old Posted Nov 3, 2022, 2:11 PM

Since the giant parkade component appears to be happening anyway... I wonder if there's any chance that the cops could get in on that and buy a few levels of secure parking so that the Millennium Library parkade could be left for public use?

Old Posted Nov 3, 2022, 2:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WinCitySparky View Post
More residents downtown is more residents downtown, can’t win em all. Maybe it’ll be better looking final product.
Seriously. Even if it's "average' looking it will be another boost to the downtown....and you can't say that every step of construction isn't going to be watched on this forum!

"Naysayers are always predicting the present"-Anon.

"Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength"-Eric Hoffer

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan