HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Closed Thread

Old Posted May 22, 2022, 2:49 AM
Tony V / ValuezTV

Quote:
Originally Posted by summersm343 View Post
Construction Complete At Renaissance Estates In Packer Park

Read/view more here:
https://phillyyimby.com/2022/05/cons...delphia-2.html
Call me crazy but I actually like these & would 100% buy one.

Old Posted May 22, 2022, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnEmperorPenguin View Post
I'm confused, isn't this an awful spot for a park? Like anyone not driven away by the noise will get lung damage spending time there? I get wanting to make the area around 95 less shitty but it's space around an above ground highway; you can't
Confused by this statement as well. It's certainly possible that Inga has some updated inside info, but as of last October the plan looked to be turning this into something of a "nature barrier" rather than a park, actually going as far as to wall it off from the street.

This makes more sense to me than a park, though I've mentioned before I think the best of course of action here is to push PennDOT to sell this piece to a private developer. There is definitely enough room here to build something and actually close of the street from the highway. I understand there may be some logistical concerns I'm not aware of. Overall I think the second st plan looks pretty great, though as mentioned in that article, people are going to fight to keep the parking.

Old Posted May 22, 2022, 1:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgrath618 View Post
But they don't. Most station buildings aren't even open past 10 AM. And there are no plans to change that.
Again, it reminds me a ton of how service was killed for West Chester and Newtown. They ran "shuttles" between West Chester/Elwyn and Fox Chase/Newtown and then were shocked when ridership plummeted. People really value a one seat ride.
Of course. I'm only speaking hypothetically. We could invest in station improvements for 4-5 stations and I believe doing so would make this plan viable. I'm not saying we will or would because KOfuckingP is more important to the powers that be, which if I'm being honest, makes me pessimistic that any of these three options will be implemented fully without some kind of leadership shake up.

I am curious though, do you have past/predicted numbers for off-peak trips to and from the stations that fall outside of the would be "silver line"? Is the data publicly available?

Old Posted May 22, 2022, 1:17 PM

Quote:
What if it were the other way around? In this hypothetical scenario, you have a modern all-glass lowrise that is overbuilt with prewar materials and design. Would you still like it?
Likely not. I think one of the primary things I'm looking for is authenticity. It's the new above the old that I'm drawn to, a microcosm of one of the things I most enjoy about cities as a whole.

(There's also the issue of "heavy" masonry above "airy" glass that could be jarring.)

Quote:
I'm not even saying I want a overbuild that looks exactly like its base here. Any site, especially an overbuild, has its own contexts and needs. In this specific site, the only thing tying the two original structures together is that they're both prewar. Other than that, they use completely different materials and served two completely different purposes when built.

What I am saying is that somehow this design is less appropriate given the space than if they had just demolished the red brick building on the corner and built a completely new tower from scratch. In the same way that Soldier Field looks completely mismatched, this design clashes far too much to be appreciated, imo. I actually think I preferred the original design because it 1) Kept the third historical building and 2) Didn't clash too much as to completely draw away from the original structures.

I get it. It's completely a matter of personal taste.
Very different priorities. Demolishing the corner building is a complete nonstarter for me.

I'm also not seeing any similarity to Soldier Field other than the basic glass above masonry. I think the the addition there is poorly designed.

Old Posted May 22, 2022, 2:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin7 View Post
Of course. I'm only speaking hypothetically. We could invest in station improvements for 4-5 stations and I believe doing so would make this plan viable. I'm not saying we will or would because KOfuckingP is more important to the powers that be, which if I'm being honest, makes me pessimistic that any of these three options will be implemented fully without some kind of leadership shake up.

I am curious though, do you have past/predicted numbers for off-peak trips to and from the stations that fall outside of the would be "silver line"? Is the data publicly available?
I’m sure I could find it tomorrow at work, let me get back to you.

Old Posted May 22, 2022, 3:34 PM
Chris

Host cities picked June 16th!

Here's when Philadelphia will find out if it's a 2026 FIFA World Cup USA host city, report says

https://www.bizjournals.com/philadel...Pos=0#cxrecs_s

Old Posted May 22, 2022, 7:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHLtoNYC View Post

Here's when Philadelphia will find out if it's a 2026 FIFA World Cup USA host city, report says

10-12 cities in the USA alone. If Philadelphia somehow isn't one of them, my fist is going through a wall. That would be inexcusable.

Old Posted May 23, 2022, 2:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHLtoNYC View Post

Say we won the world cup bid, would that ever give the excuse to build the BSL extension to the Navy yard even though it would be finish in 2047

Old Posted May 23, 2022, 2:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeltaNerd View Post
Say we won the world cup bid, would that ever give the excuse to build the BSL extension to the Navy yard even though it would be finish in 2047
No, because the suburban board members of SEPTA would shoot it down. It isn't even actively being discussed internally anymore.

Old Posted May 23, 2022, 2:49 PM

Quote:
No, because the suburban board members of SEPTA would shoot it down. It isn't even actively being discussed internally anymore.
Absolutely absurd that a large employment hub, and soon to be a huge residential hub and maybe even a destination and tourist area isn't even being considered for transit expansion.

Old Posted May 23, 2022, 2:51 PM

Construction Underway At Ridge Flats In East Falls

Project renderings:

Current progress:

Quote:
A recent site visit by Philly YIMBY has found construction well underway at Ridge Flats, a five-story mixed-use development rising at 4300-26 Ridge Avenue in East Falls, Northwest Philadelphia. Designed by Morris Adjmi Architects, the 180,879-square-foot development will contain around 10,000 square feet of retail space, 142 residential units, 117 partially covered surface parking spaces, and a green roof. Permits list Kinsley Construction as the contractor. The construction cost is stated at $30.5 million.
Read/view more here:
https://phillyyimby.com/2022/05/cons...ladelphia.html

Old Posted May 23, 2022, 2:53 PM

Construction Underway At 3515 Midvale Avenue In East Falls

Project rendering:

Current progress:

Quote:
A recent site visit by Philly YIMBY has discovered that construction is well underway at five-story mixed-use development at 3515 Midvale Avenue in East Falls, Northwest Philadelphia. The building will rise from a 13,050-square-foot footprint and yield 40,500 square feet, with 36 apartments and three commercial spaces on the ground floor, measuring 2,800, 1,200, and 565 square feet, and will also offer a roof deck and 12 bicycle spaces. Tester Construction is the contractor for the project. Construction costs are listed at $5.6 million.
Read/view more here:

Old Posted May 23, 2022, 2:55 PM

Permits Issued For 1201 Normandy Place Garage In The Navy Yard

Project renderings:

Site plan showing existing and future buildings:

Expanded site plan:

Quote:
Permits have been issued for the construction of a parking garage structure at 1201 Normandy Place in The Navy Yard, South Philadelphia. Designed by DIGSAU, the new building will rise six stories tall, with a commercial space on the ground floor. The commercial space will span 11,882 square feet of space on the ground floor. There will be 661 parking spaces through the rest of the building, which is expected to total over 240,000 square feet of space. Construction costs are estimated at $20 million.
Read/view more here:
https://phillyyimby.com/2022/05/perm...ladelphia.html

Old Posted May 23, 2022, 3:26 PM

It's wild we can build a garage in the Navy yard but not the BSL extension. Doesn't a bunch of suburban commuters work in the Navy yard? So why shut down the extension.

Anyways I look forward to more development for the Navy yard including a new shipping port soon.

Old Posted May 23, 2022, 5:22 PM
Show me the blueprints

Sucks

There is no goodness in him, and his power to convince people otherwise is beyond understanding

Old Posted May 23, 2022, 5:23 PM
Show me the blueprints

Quote:
Originally Posted by summersm343 View Post
Construction Underway At 3515 Midvale Avenue In East Falls

Project rendering:

Current progress:

Read/view more here:

Already clearly doesn't match the rendering. Time will tell if it will be better or worse...

There is no goodness in him, and his power to convince people otherwise is beyond understanding

Old Posted May 23, 2022, 6:31 PM

if the Navy Yard keeps growing as planned (with included residential) and the old refinery land gets developed, the demand for transit in the area might get to a point where the board's hand is forced. it's kind of glaring to anyone living and working in the area how close the end of the BSL is. Another option that would be interesting is transit down the 25th street viaduct (it seems like it can carry 3 tracks?) that maybe integrates with regional rail at university city station, but BSL service would be much easier to implement.

on an unrelated note: I'm hearing that the Washington Ave. plan getting shot down by Johnson's office, but approved by Squilla. So east of broad will be safe to cross, but west you will still get run over by cars.

Old Posted May 23, 2022, 6:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skintreesnail View Post
if the Navy Yard keeps growing as planned (with included residential) and the old refinery land gets developed, the demand for transit in the area might get to a point where the board's hand is forced. it's kind of glaring to anyone living and working in the area how close the end of the BSL is. Another option that would be interesting is transit down the 25th street viaduct (it seems like it can carry 3 tracks?) that maybe integrates with regional rail at university city station, but BSL service would be much easier to implement.
We really should be building it now. We need to be proactive and not reactive. Besides, if you build out the line now I guarantee it spurs development farther along the line.

As for the 25th Street Viaduct, it would be awesome if SEPTA got first-right-of-refusal on railroad property in the city, but we don't. So when CSX potentially abandons that stretch of track (along with the rest of the high line) one day, it'll get torn down instead of being repaired and used for rail transit.

Old Posted May 23, 2022, 8:48 PM

Friendly reminder - this is the Lowrise/General Development thread and is meant for any projects 11-stories or less. Any projects 12-stories or taller get posted in the "Highrise Development Thread" in the link below and eventually get their own thread.

https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/sho...39026&page=214

Old Posted May 23, 2022, 8:59 PM

Philadelphia International Airport wants to be its own city department

Anyone would like to explain the pros and cons of this?
I'm having a hard time understand why there is a need for this

https://www.inquirer.com/business/ph...-20220520.html

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development