HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

About The Ads  This week the ad company used in the forum will be monitoring activity and doing some tests to identify any problems which users may be experiencing. If at any time this week you get pop-ups, redirects, etc. as a result of ads please let us know by sending an email to forum@skyscraperpage.com or post in the ads complaint thread. Thank you for your participation.

Old Posted Nov 15, 2019, 5:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianTH View Post
That was me! I love that stuff, and you are absolutely right.
Do you still have a link to the river map? I couldn't find it on Google.

It's one of those things that once you see it, you can't un-see it when looking at an aerial image of Pittsburgh.

Old Posted Nov 15, 2019, 5:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikebarbaro View Post
The current warehouse behind Allegheny Station on the North Shore is to become Eleven 06 condominiums. If I remember correctly it was supposed to become a hotel but I guess that fell through. I really like to rendering where The Esplanade towers are shown in the background. This is also a Piatt Sotheby project.
Zillow already shows the units for sale, along with additional pictures at this link.

Clicking on the pictures of the units leads to detailed information and floorplans.

Old Posted Nov 16, 2019, 4:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
3. Oxford also has the master plan for Three Crossings Phase 2 up for next week. The details of the master plan are not all that different than from earlier presentations. After The Stacks are finished, they are looking at another 450,000 square feet of office space in four buildings, 300 residential units in two buildings, and a 600-space parking garage. They are designing a new L-shaped street (termed Hopper Place) and a related plaza/open space in the heart of the new development. The next buildings to be constructed are the new 150,000 square foot office building by Hopper Plaza (discussed in more detail below) followed by the parking garage. The later phases - particularly the residential buildings - appear to still be subject to change.

4. At the same time Oxford is approaching the Commission with the master plan, it is also seeking approval for the next building within Three Crossings Phase 2 - the 150,000 square-foot office building mentioned above. The building is called 75 Hopper Place (presumably the intended address as well) and is a six-story, squarish structure. I honestly think the design is kinda bland and flat from Railroad Street, though it pops much more from the plaza. Still, I have no major issues with the structure.
Interesting info in the presentation about the future riverfront trail through this area. Since the RR owns the land along the riverfront, Oxford is essentially designing to accommodate trail users passing through their development. They intend for the Riverfront Plaza to be the entryway, and are designing the new Hopper Place to essentially be a publicly accessible woonerf to maintain mobility parallel to the river.

Another little tidbit, since Railroad Street is technically still a RR ROW, they aren’t allowed to build sidewalks. They are actually going to build them within the confines of their parcel rather than build them on what one would think would be city property along the actual street.

They didn’t have to do either of these things, kudos to Oxford for stepping up in this way.

Old Posted Nov 17, 2019, 2:18 PM

Only slightly related to development, but the Post Gazette has a feature up on that little micro-neighborhood in North Oakland just to the west of the S Craig St business district, and how CMU has systematically bought up most of the remaining single family homes. The article focuses on a couple of the holdouts - all of which are old people, meaning whatever their secret master plan is for this area is likely inevitable.

Old Posted Nov 17, 2019, 7:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenM View Post
Do you still have a link to the river map? I couldn't find it on Google.

It's one of those things that once you see it, you can't un-see it when looking at an aerial image of Pittsburgh.
Over time here are a few of the things I posted:

Ancient waterways diagram:

Shaded topographic map:

My own VERY crude rendering of what the ancient confluence around East Liberty once looked like:

And now a new, equally crude, rendering where I more or less try to transfer that ancient river map information to the bird's eye I posted recently:

Not perfect, but it supports the point you were making.

Old Posted Nov 18, 2019, 3:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
I should have held off posting for a bit today...feels like I'm talking to myself sometimes...
Not at all! I "lurk" here constantly and always look forward very, very much to your contributions in this thread! I just don't post/contribute much because I feel like I'm one of the reasons a few people here left the "other" forum, and I don't want them to leave here, too.

In any event I'm most excited about the proposal for that beautiful mid-rise residential project along Penn Avenue near Savoy. That big surface parking lot and adjacent empty lot have been "gap teeth" along Penn Avenue for years, and it's about time they're (responsibly) redeveloped!

In other news there is a community meeting in Polish Hill soon about a developer's plans to tear down the Donny's Place Bar (which inexplicably JUST reopened) and to combine its parcel with the surrounding "dead space" within the Herron Avenue "S"-Curve for some sort of major project. I've wanted to see a dense new project built on that parcel since I moved to Polish Hill in 2010 so we could boost our population density and maybe finally attract a restaurant to justify the high rents here. It is adjacent to the Herron Avenue stop on the East Busway, which will whisk people Downtown in five minutes. Coupled with the residential project that's being built over near Cheerleaders these two projects combined might boost Polish Hill's population by 50% at full build-out. I don't know many details (yet) about the Donny's Place site, but I trust we'll know more soon!

Old Posted Nov 18, 2019, 4:21 PM
PhillyPholly

Old Posted Nov 18, 2019, 8:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
Not at all! I "lurk" here constantly and always look forward very, very much to your contributions in this thread! I just don't post/contribute much because I feel like I'm one of the reasons a few people here left the "other" forum, and I don't want them to leave here, too.

In any event I'm most excited about the proposal for that beautiful mid-rise residential project along Penn Avenue near Savoy. That big surface parking lot and adjacent empty lot have been "gap teeth" along Penn Avenue for years, and it's about time they're (responsibly) redeveloped!

In other news there is a community meeting in Polish Hill soon about a developer's plans to tear down the Donny's Place Bar (which inexplicably JUST reopened) and to combine its parcel with the surrounding "dead space" within the Herron Avenue "S"-Curve for some sort of major project. I've wanted to see a dense new project built on that parcel since I moved to Polish Hill in 2010 so we could boost our population density and maybe finally attract a restaurant to justify the high rents here. It is adjacent to the Herron Avenue stop on the East Busway, which will whisk people Downtown in five minutes. Coupled with the residential project that's being built over near Cheerleaders these two projects combined might boost Polish Hill's population by 50% at full build-out. I don't know many details (yet) about the Donny's Place site, but I trust we'll know more soon!
As someone who goes there, but posts less than ever before, I promise you SCR that you are not the reason at all I don't like that thread anymore.

But anyway, I am hoping for more development in that part of the Strip too. Despite the whining on the other thread about traffic and gentrification in the Strip, the fact is that area has next to no long time residents like Lawrenceville, and there is a large mostly dead area still between 24th Street and Lawrenceville which is ripe for plenty of change without really driving anyone out.

Old Posted Nov 18, 2019, 9:55 PM
Ex Houstonian

It looks like in those Pitt renderings they're going to tear down literally every historic building along Forbes Ave....

Old Posted Yesterday, 5:54 PM

The NRP Group and The Buncher Company Break Ground on The District, Phase 2 of Upscale Rental Apartment Community on Pittsburgh's Robotics Row

The building in the foreground is the recently completed 1909 Edge, and this project will be the two buildings adjacent to that going up the the 16th St Bridge. Between this, the Brownstones, and the produce terminal redevelopment, District 15 Beta, and and 1600 Smallman redevelopment, this area will be completely transformed in a few years - and there is still room for more. Very exciting!

Last edited by Urbanthusiat; Yesterday at 6:24 PM.

Old Posted Today, 2:07 AM

The first ZBA of December (12/5) is online. A very light schedule for that week, with only five projects, and not much of note.

The most notable project is a two story addition to an existing building here on Penn Avenue. This appears to be the design:

There are also plans for an infill house in Banksville.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations