HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Post Office Redevelopment Tower [1] in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Chicago Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
Chicago Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Oct 28, 2019, 3:15 AM
He/his/him. >~<, QED!

^ If your EXIF time is correct... I was there about 30 mins before you.

Old Posted Nov 21, 2019, 1:25 PM

PepsiCo confirms move to Old Post Office

https://www.chicagobusiness.com/comm...ld-post-office

Quote:
Soft drink giant PepsiCo has officially joined the party at the Old Post Office, announcing it has inked a deal to move its Chicago office to the redeveloped behemoth anchoring a rebirth of the southwest Loop.

The company said it signed an 8-year lease for 192,000 square feet in the building at 433 W. Van Buren St., where it will move its 1,300 Chicago employees late next year. Crain's first reported in September that PepsiCo was in advanced talks for the new office.

Old Posted Nov 21, 2019, 2:30 PM

I believe The Post Office redevelopment has truly been impressive. I know some would disagree, but I would have liked to have seen the exterior redone to look like the exterior color of Willis Tower and other buildings in that area of like color. I think a darker- colored exterior on a building as massive as the Post Office in that location would have really helped to highlight that whole area. Nevertheless it has turned out to be very successful and an exterior redo probably would have been too cost- prohibitive.

Old Posted Nov 21, 2019, 3:27 PM

Absolutely incredible how well this building looks and is filling up.

Old Posted Nov 21, 2019, 4:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skysoar View Post
I believe The Post Office redevelopment has truly been impressive. I know some would disagree, but I would have liked to have seen the exterior redone to look like the exterior color of Willis Tower and other buildings in that area of like color. I think a darker- colored exterior on a building as massive as the Post Office in that location would have really helped to highlight that whole area. Nevertheless it has turned out to be very successful and an exterior redo probably would have been too cost- prohibitive.
What do you mean paint black over all the wonderful limestone?? That would be a travesty. Or reclad the whole building in Cor-ten steel? That would be very expensive.

Old Posted Nov 21, 2019, 4:26 PM

I really hope Canal street will be redeveloped south of the OPO and find a way to connect to the Clinton subway station

Old Posted Nov 21, 2019, 4:45 PM

Quote:
exterior redo probably would have been too cost- prohibitive.
...and an absurd idea?

Old Posted Nov 21, 2019, 4:51 PM
devout Pizzatarian

Quote:
I know some would disagree
some would disagree?

SOME?

i'd be shocked if you could find even one single other person that would agree with your idea to strip the historic art deco OPO of its glorious limestone and re-clad it with black anodized aluminum panels like the sears tower.

i think we can safely file that one away under "WILDLY unpopular opinions".

this is all exactly as it should be:

source: https://openhousechicago.org/sites/s...o-post-office/

Last edited by Steely Dan; Nov 21, 2019 at 5:11 PM.

Old Posted Nov 21, 2019, 5:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baronvonellis View Post
What do you mean paint black over all the wonderful limestone?? That would be a travesty. Or reclad the whole building in Cor-ten steel? That would be very expensive.
Of course you are right, I was talking about the aesthetic effects. I came out of Union Station recently and looking south and seeing Willis Tower and several other black-clad buildings nearby and it was very imposing. I am just saying a black-clad Old Post Office exterior redo would have been a great continuous of those impressive buildings.

Old Posted Nov 21, 2019, 6:57 PM
Development Shill

Quote:
Lol wtf?

Old Posted Nov 21, 2019, 7:04 PM
TL;DR

Well, if any of the older plans had ever come to fruition, that called for partial demolition of the building, then I think some creative facade ideas would have been called for to delineate old vs new.

But fortunately, the needs of office tenants have evolved over the last 10-15 years, and now ENORMOUS floorplates are both very desirable and very rare (good luck building anything this big from scratch today). Once asshat Bill Davies kicked the bucket, the stage was set for 601W to do a pretty straightforward gut renovation without changing the footprint or massing of the building.

Give credit to Rahm too, he really went out of his way to get this project off the ground, from threatening eminent domain on Bill Davies to personally recruiting 601W to do the renovation after seeing what they did on Starrett-Lehigh in NYC - even though OPO is 7x larger than Starrett-Lehigh. This project should definitely be counted as one of his legacies to the city.

Old Posted Nov 21, 2019, 7:18 PM

Does anyone have a clue when the outside riverfront hardscaping and landscaping is supposed to commence? That's the part of the renovation that I'm most excited to see completed.

Old Posted Nov 21, 2019, 7:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trvlr70 View Post
Does anyone have a clue when the outside riverfront hardscaping and landscaping is supposed to commence? That's the part of the renovation that I'm most excited to see completed.
I'm most interested in what will happen to the Sugar annex. Seems like such a waste to demolish what could be a very nice loft office space building.

Old Posted Nov 21, 2019, 7:38 PM

Old Posted Nov 21, 2019, 7:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kolchak View Post
Posted this morning on the previous page

Old Posted Nov 21, 2019, 8:37 PM

Great to see this filling up, but I do wish that more of it was truly new to the city activity as opposed to relocations like Pepsi. There must be a lot of less nice office space emptying out.

Old Posted Nov 21, 2019, 8:56 PM

Quote:

Old Posted Nov 21, 2019, 9:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kumdogmillionaire View Post
Lol wtf?
Lol..no need to become hysterical. Its just a persons opinion about what they like. First, the Old Post Office redevelopment is fantastic, it is marvelous, it is the greatest thing to ever happen in Downtown Chicago. Having said that it is not sacrilegious for someone who loves Modern architecture over Art-Deco to visualize what they would have liked to have seen. Finally, if I am correct I believe the rough draft of four new towers of the previous proposal for the redevelopment of the OPO were black-clad supertalls. Black cladded bldgs seem to be popular in that area, that is all I am saying.

Old Posted Nov 22, 2019, 3:54 AM
BANNED

Hate to pile on skysoar, but the mere idea of painting limestone is suspension-worthy.

Old Posted Nov 22, 2019, 5:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyguy_7 View Post
Hate to pile on skysoar, but the mere idea of painting limestone is suspension-worthy.
Lol...my last comment on this topic is I never mentioned black paint, but cladding. Even so I get your drift. I may have to suspend myself on my Post Office Development proposal. Even my wife, after she got home from work I mentioned my thought on the project to her, she looked at me like I was crazy and let me know, no chance of having any luck tonight. Oh well, great kudos to the development team that have brought great success to the Old Post Office redevelopment project.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development