HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Dec 14, 2022, 12:57 AM

The CFL tried Saturday playoff games a couple times over the past 30 years but it always landed with a thud.

Old Posted Dec 14, 2022, 4:30 AM
Go Tall or Go Home

Why the hell is every team not playing each other at least once home & away ?
For example, Hammy (potentially with BLM) does not play in Calgary in 2023.
Or
Edmonton does not play in Montreal but the Elks play Sask. 3 times.

So stupid.

Old Posted Dec 14, 2022, 5:16 AM
Ham-burgher

O'Shea seems to be bucking for a role in the next Tolkien-based film or on one of those reality shows on the History channel:

https://www.tsn.ca/cfl

Old Posted Dec 14, 2022, 5:19 AM
Ham-burgher

Quote:
Originally Posted by craner View Post
Or

So stupid.

The curse of the unbalanced divisions.

Old Posted Dec 14, 2022, 2:26 PM

A lot being made of the schedule, and it seems to be a bit of a mess. CFL moving playoffs to Sat while moving early season games to Sun nights.... I know, I know it's due to American TV audiences.

I think the CFL needs guarentee TV times every week. So FNF is only 1 game in the east kickoff at 7:45 or whatever, all of the country will at least be able to tune in for the 2nd half minimum. Remaining East/West teams play 2 slots on Saturday afternoon with the last game of the week kicked off with a Western team home game at 6 or 7 or something.

Of course this is one idea and it can be rearranged any which way, but the main idea is fans and casual fans know exactly when the games will be played every week by muscle memory. Not Thurs Fri double header and Sat one week, Fri Sat tripple header another week, Fri 10 pm kickoff, sat double header and Sun 1pm kick off the other, way too messy.

Old Posted Dec 14, 2022, 2:58 PM

Quote:
Or

So stupid.
I agree, for many years it was always a home and away with all other teams, and then a couple of third games generally against divisional rivals. Now we have this weird situation where not all teams will visit in a given season, and some teams end up playing against each other four times over the regular season. Which is too much, IMO... I mean, I get that the Bombers and Riders are rivals, but it makes their games less of an event if they're playing each other 4 times a season.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScreamingViking View Post
O'Shea seems to be bucking for a role in the next Tolkien-based film or on one of those reality shows on the History channel:
The big beard helps him handle the cold

Old Posted Dec 14, 2022, 3:20 PM

Quote:
Or

So stupid.
Last year's schedule was the same Hamilton only played Edmonton once

I guess travel is cheaper when you play in your division

Old Posted Dec 14, 2022, 3:32 PM

Thumbs up

I personally find the regular season too long for a 9 team league 18 games is too much of the same opponents. I would prefer a 14 game regular season and have the playoffs be longer and be 2 game total points series like they used to have back in the day.

Old Posted Dec 14, 2022, 4:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thurmas View Post
I personally find the regular season too long for a 9 team league 18 games is too much of the same opponents. I would prefer a 14 game regular season and have the playoffs be longer and be 2 game total points series like they used to have back in the day.
I could live with a 16 week season and leave the playoffs as is. It does feel like the end of the season can drag on a bit, especially with all the bye weeks now such that the regular season stretches from June to October. But I doubt the league would be too keen on giving up the gate from those extra games.

At one point up until the 80s it used to be a NFL-style 4 week preseason, 16 week regular season. IIRC the league shifted two of the preseason games to the regular season to have more readily-marketable regular season games.

Old Posted Dec 14, 2022, 4:54 PM

One idea I think the cfl should try is have a once a year heritage classic. With so much great history have Argos alum vs ticats and bombers vs riders ect.. think it would be fun and something unique and different than a boring Allstars game.

Old Posted Dec 14, 2022, 5:19 PM
There is always a way

We could use it to relive some of the most iconic moments in CFL history, maybe they could bring in huge fog machines to recreate the fog bowl
Federalist #10, James Madison

Old Posted Dec 15, 2022, 1:45 AM

Elks have announced something very interesting: Guaranteed Win Tickets.

Idea is basically that you buy a ticket to the home opener and your ticket is valid until the Elks win a home game. So you could get multiple games for the price of one ticket. All the seats are in the lower bowl between the endzones, so they're pretty good seats, too.

Can't do much worse than $90 for season tickets.

https://offer.fevo.com/-vs-edmonton-...tma-8907c44%2F

Old Posted Dec 15, 2022, 5:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EpicPonyTime View Post
Elks have announced something very interesting: Guaranteed Win Tickets.

Idea is basically that you buy a ticket to the home opener and your ticket is valid until the Elks win a home game. So you could get multiple games for the price of one ticket. All the seats are in the lower bowl between the endzones, so they're pretty good seats, too.

Can't do much worse than $90 for season tickets.
They are P1 tickets (the best), and there is a limited number. The posts from people seem to infer this offer is something it isn't. The only people who will benefit from this are those buying the highest priced ticket and if the Elks win there will be no benefit aside from the home win.

Old Posted Dec 15, 2022, 5:32 AM
Ham-burgher

Quote:
Originally Posted by thurmas View Post
One idea I think the cfl should try is have a once a year heritage classic. With so much great history have Argos alum vs ticats and bombers vs riders ect.. think it would be fun and something unique and different than a boring Allstars game.
It would probably have to be at slow speed and touch only. Some of these former players can barely walk in their retirement!

Old Posted Dec 15, 2022, 8:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScreamingViking View Post
It would probably have to be at slow speed and touch only. Some of these former players can barely walk in their retirement!
I don't think an Old Timer's game would be too successful. The last time CFL old timers got together was Angelo Mosca vs Joe Kapp. But then again it made international news.

Old Posted Dec 15, 2022, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 25grapes View Post
A lot being made of the schedule, and it seems to be a bit of a mess. CFL moving playoffs to Sat while moving early season games to Sun nights.... I know, I know it's due to American TV audiences.

I think the CFL needs guarentee TV times every week. So FNF is only 1 game in the east kickoff at 7:45 or whatever, all of the country will at least be able to tune in for the 2nd half minimum. Remaining East/West teams play 2 slots on Saturday afternoon with the last game of the week kicked off with a Western team home game at 6 or 7 or something.

Of course this is one idea and it can be rearranged any which way, but the main idea is fans and casual fans know exactly when the games will be played every week by muscle memory. Not Thurs Fri double header and Sat one week, Fri Sat tripple header another week, Fri 10 pm kickoff, sat double header and Sun 1pm kick off the other, way too messy.
Well CFL is outright competing with the National Football League for ratings and popularity. I mean it has always been that way, always will be.

Old Posted Dec 15, 2022, 2:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elly63 View Post
They are P1 tickets (the best), and there is a limited number. The posts from people seem to infer this offer is something it isn't. The only people who will benefit from this are those buying the highest priced ticket and if the Elks win there will be no benefit aside from the home win.
The tickets for the promotion cost $90, so I'd say it's a pretty good deal for the potential to get more than one game out of it. Don't know what you're understanding of the deal is: you pay $90 and you keep getting your seat for home games until the team wins at home.

That said, there's only a handful left so it seems there was demand for this.

Old Posted Dec 15, 2022, 3:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EpicPonyTime View Post
That said, there's only a handful left so it seems there was demand for this.
The Elks are funny, they are always rolling out ticket promos and going on about how successful the promos are (remember the $99 season ticket?), but whenever I had a game on from Commonwealth it usually looked worse than an Argos game in terms of attendance.

I get the impression that Edmonton has more or less tuned them out until they get their act together.

Old Posted Dec 15, 2022, 6:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
The Elks are funny, they are always rolling out ticket promos and going on about how successful the promos are (remember the $99 season ticket?), but whenever I had a game on from Commonwealth it usually looked worse than an Argos game in terms of attendance.

I get the impression that Edmonton has more or less tuned them out until they get their act together.
Being winless and hapless at home will do that to a fanbase...

Ticket promos are a great way to at least make SOME money from people because I'm sure the walk up crowd was pitiful last year.

Old Posted Dec 15, 2022, 7:27 PM

There were some Elks games where it looked like there were under 10,000 people in the stands, even though attendance was always announced way in excess of that. I guess a lot of people simply no-showed.

I have had Bomber season tickets through some pretty miserable seasons but I never resorted to not going and effectively throwing out the tickets. Win or lose, I still had a good time!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada