HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Mar 17, 2023, 1:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by megadude View Post
I wonder what the crowd will be like at BMO on the 28th. Already went through the joy of topping qualifying and then participating at the WC. Don't know if there will be enough diehards and casuals to come out in March. I was thinking of going.
Looks like there's currently a lot still available in lower bowl -- none in upper, but don't know if that's 1) sold out quicker because they're cheaper or 2) they're holding off on selling those to fill lower bowl first

Old Posted Mar 17, 2023, 9:52 PM

Canada's 3 MLS teams are all off to terrible starts with 0 wins in 9 games collectively. Vancouver is not surprising as they are a perennial bottom-feeder with practically the lowest revenue in the league and a cheapskate owner.

Toronto's management continues to show they are incapable of building a consistent winning team as they rely on flashy signings of past-their-prime oft-injured Europeans while being terrible at building depth through prospect development. I wonder how many millions of dollars they will lose this year?

Old Posted Mar 17, 2023, 10:03 PM

One good bit of Canadian news in MLS is the good start that Kyle Hiebert and Jacob Shaffelburg are off to. They didn't make the CMNT roster this time but are in the running.

Old Posted Mar 17, 2023, 10:07 PM
ハルウララ

Vancouver did win their first round tie against Real Espana (Honduras) in Champions League play this week. I think Vancouver have actually looked pretty good considering their record. If they could hold on to a second half lead they'd have a far better record. TFC continues to have injury issues and Bradley's leadership has been less than stellar. Today's rumour is that they want to sign Sergio Busquets for the midfield which...although good, would be another older player which they already have plenty of.

Quote:
Originally Posted by elly63 View Post
One good bit of Canadian news in MLS is the good start that Kyle Hiebert and Jacob Shaffelburg are off to. They didn't make the CMNT roster this time but are in the running.
Surprised not to see Shaffelburg get called. I assume he plays a big role in the Gold Cup roster this summer.

Old Posted Mar 17, 2023, 10:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHikka View Post
Surprised not to see Shaffelburg get called. I assume he plays a big role in the Gold Cup roster this summer.
Too much depth at the position (a good problem to have). I will say I am a bit surprised about Akinola getting the call. Brym is a pretty good player who many of the Canadian fans don't like because they always seem to need a guy to scapegoat and he happens to be this era's chosen one (for the usual non existent reason). After the season he could get the call up back to Sparta Rotterdam of the Eredivisie.

Hiebert just needs more games to further prove himself. It's also possible that when a player who is trying to get established at a club and is doing well, the NT might not like to interrupt the development, especially if they won't be seeing much playing time with the NT. I hope this break doesn't affect Larin's amazing run at Valladolid.

Old Posted Mar 17, 2023, 10:19 PM

Quote:
The bad news, Real Betis scores on a penalty to beat Real Valladolid 2-1 in La Liga today, Valladolid's first loss since acquiring Cyle Larin. The good news, Cyle Larin gets the start and scores, his third in four games.
The bad news, Athletic Bilbao beats Real Valladolid 3-1 in La Liga today. The good news, Cyle Larin gets the start and scores, his fifth in seven games.

Old Posted Mar 18, 2023, 2:37 AM

Quote:
The bad news, Athletic Bilbao beats Real Valladolid 3-1 in La Liga today. The good news, Cyle Larin gets the start and scores, his fifth in seven games.
Speaking of that goal, I'd like to bring attention to the stupidity of professional sports. When we were kids, we were told to play to the whistle. Here we have super skilled and highly paid professionals stop playing and raise their hands and look at the ref for an offside call. Yet all four of them saw their defending teammate actually trip on the ball and kick it forward to Larin, who was in an offside position but was played onside by the clumsy play. So he graciously accepted the ball and slotted it in the back of the net.

So what is the point of coaching (multiple coaches on staff) if coaches can't even drill into the heads of their players to play to the whistle? Ball and referee watching happens way too often in soccer. It's an absolute embarrassment. I never did that in my life and I wasn't paid to play soccer. As a matter of fact, I had to pay to play soccer. And I did not receive professional coaching.

And at what point does a defender, whose job it is to defend, realize he must stop raising his hands and actually play the ball? You're a highly paid professional. Act like one.

By the way, Larin’s first shot was stopped, but he put in the rebound. So yeah, if the dumb ass defenders didn’t stop playing then they’d have a chance to clear the ball.

Last edited by megadude; Mar 18, 2023 at 10:34 AM.

Old Posted Mar 18, 2023, 7:06 PM

One of the best goals I have ever seen a Canadian score. Not the first goal he scored in the game, but the second (starting at 2:37). The first goal wasn't too bad either

Tyler Pasher (formerly Houston MLS) of the USL's Birmingham Legion FC

Video Link

Old Posted Mar 18, 2023, 8:33 PM

That was a pretty sick goal.

Old Posted Mar 19, 2023, 4:06 PM
ハルウララ

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueandgoldguy View Post
Canada's 3 MLS teams are all off to terrible starts with 0 wins in 9 games collectively. Vancouver is not surprising as they are a perennial bottom-feeder with practically the lowest revenue in the league and a cheapskate owner.
Welp, TFC beat Miami, Montreal beat Philadelphia in 90+8', and Caps drew away to Galaxy yesterday.

Old Posted Mar 20, 2023, 6:32 AM

The Caps are in the final 8 of the Concacaf Champions League now with a puncher's chance of making the finals even so I suppose they have a reason to be a bit preoccupied

Old Posted Mar 21, 2023, 5:11 PM

Quote:
The bad news, Kamal Miller out with injury, the good news, Hiebert gets his first NT callup.

Old Posted Mar 23, 2023, 7:14 PM

Young Brighton goalkeeper enjoying first taste of camp with Canadian national team
Neil Davidson, The Canadian Press March 23, 2023

Tom McGill left Canada for England as a boy but kept coming back to see his father and family.

Now the third-string goalkeeper at English Premier League side Brighton & Hove Albion, McGill is proud and happy to be in camp with Canada ahead of CONCACAF Nations League games against Curacao and Honduras.

McGill, who turns 23 on Saturday, is one of three uncapped players in the Canada camp, joining defender Dominick Zator (Korona Kielce, Poland) and midfielder Victor Loturi (Ross County, Scotland). Zator has been invited to camp before but has yet to see game action.

A former England youth international, McGill is now squarely focused on Canada.

“Obviously getting picked for England is a tremendous honour and that team that I was part of achieved some amazing things,” McGill said from Canada’s preparation camp in Florida. “But I suppose with the (England) opportunity maybe dried up a little bit, combined with how exciting this Canada team is with, combined with maybe potentially opportunities more around the first team and so on, it made it an easy choice for me.

“And I’ve always felt more Canadian. Just because I was born in Canada … It’s not lip service. I have always felt more Canadian.”

McGill was born to a Canadian father and English mother in Belleville, Ont., and lived in the Belleville-Trenton area until the age of four. When his parents split up, he accompanied his mother back to England where he grew up in Haywards Heath, some 22.5 kilometres north of Brighton and 60 kilometres south of London.

McGill stayed close to his father, who grew up in Wawa, Ont., but lives in Belleville, and has regularly come back during school and soccer breaks to see him and other relatives including a grandfather in Gravenhurst, Ont..

“And they all make a great effort to come see me … They’re great and I love it over there,” he said of Canada. “I love every minute.”

McGill was 14 when he attended a Canadian youth (under-15) identification camp in 2014 with coach Ante Jazic. But that did not lead to anything, until now.

He started his youth career with Crawley before joining Brighton at the age of 14. He has represented England from under-15 to under-20 level.

He is now a part of the first-team goalkeeping group at Brighton alongside Spanish international Robert Sanchez and former England youth international Jason Steele. McGill has been playing for the team’s under-21 side to get game action.

McGill says Brighton, which currently sits seventh in the Premier League, is a model franchise.

“They’re really good at what they do,” he said, calling it a “real family club.”

“It’s a nice place to be at,” he added.

McGill, who signed a new deal with Brighton last July that runs through June, has had loan spells with Greenwich, Basingstoke Town and Crawley Town, for whom he made his professional debut against Walsall in League Two.

“I don’t know what the future holds, … I haven’t made a decision. I don’t think the club has made a decision yet,” he said of Brighton. “Because we haven’t had those conversations yet.”

McGill’s connection to Canada also includes Canada Soccer goalkeeping coach Simon Eaddy thanks to his ties with Brighton assistant goalkeeper coach Jack Stern, who spent time in Montreal and Cincinnati earlier in his career. While Stern kept Eaddy in the loop on McGill’s progress, the young ‘keeper said the latest call-up came out of the blue.

“I’ve been on the provisional (list) a couple of times and this is the first time I was picked. So it did come as a surprise,” sad McGill. “But I was always hoping for a call-up.”

McGill is joined by veteran No. 1 ‘keeper Milan Borjan (Red Star Belgrade, Serbia) and Minnesota United’s Dayne St. Clair in camp with Canada.

Canada, ranked 53rd in the world, plays at No. 86 Curacao on Saturday before hosting No. 81 Honduras on Tuesday at Toronto’s BMO Field.

Coach John Herdman and fullback/wingback Alistair Johnston will have to sit out the Curacao game after being red-carded last June in a chaotic ending to a 2-1 loss in Honduras.

The home match against Honduras comes a year and a day after the history-making 4-0 win over Jamaica at the lakefront stadium that sealed World Cup qualification.

The March games are the first for the Canadian men since Dec. 2, when Herdman’s team wrapped up its first appearance at the World Cup in 36 years with a 2-1 loss to Morocco.

The CONCACAF Nations League features 41 teams from the confederation split into three tiers: League A (12 teams), B (16) and C (13).

There is promotion and relegation, with teams that finish bottom of their groups in Leagues A and B relegated and replaced by countries that win their groups in Leagues B and C.

Canada, Curacao and Honduras make up Group C, one of four pools in League A. Honduras (2-0-0) tops the group ahead of Canada (1-1-0) and Curacao (1-2-0).

The Canadian men opened League A play last June, blanking Curacao 4-0 in Vancouver before losing in Honduras. Those matches came amid turmoil in the Canada camp, with players refusing to take part in a planned friendly against Panama over ongoing labour talks.

The four group winners from League A will meet in June in a knockout format, featuring semifinals, third-place match and final in Las Vegas.

The top two teams from each of League A’s groups automatically qualify for the 2023 Gold Cup, as do the four group winners from League B. The remaining four Cup berths will be decided in a playoff.

Old Posted Apr 5, 2023, 2:48 PM

New kit. I'm okay with it. Prefer the previous kit but they had to make it different and this certainly stands out more than the previous shirt. I suppose the next time they change it, it'll be back to a simpler design again.

Actually, it looks a little awkward to me with the black maple leaf next to the logo maple leaf and maybe they could have made the black leaves lighter. But, at least these aren't as bad as some the jerseys in the last WC that Nike put out.

As for the game last Tuesday, man, that was action packed. I was going to go but went into the office that day. Last thing I want to do is take the train to the office, come home, then three hours later get back on the same train. I would normally have gone into the office on Monday but that wind storm on Saturday caused a section of my fence to lean over and we had to fix it on the Monday.

Old Posted Apr 8, 2023, 4:49 PM

Alistair Johnston is MOTM in today's big Celtic vs Rangers derby. The award seems to be a regular occurrence for him as was his SPL TOTW naming on Tuesday.

Old Posted Apr 20, 2023, 5:02 AM

Congrats to TSS Rovers for defeating the Valour who are literally in a league above them haha!

Old Posted Apr 20, 2023, 3:20 PM

At this point a semi pro league would probably suit Valour FC.

Old Posted Apr 20, 2023, 4:00 PM

Ya and every Rover has a day job so quite the win.
And they might be the only community owned team in the country?

Old Posted Apr 20, 2023, 4:25 PM

^ Valour FC is owned by the Winnipeg Football Club (AKA the Blue Bombers), which is itself one of three community owned CFL teams along with the Roughriders and Elks.

Old Posted Apr 21, 2023, 1:27 AM

Valour FC are a loser football club. Definitely the black sheep on the Winnipeg Sports scene. Never made the playoffs. Almost always lose on the road. I doubt they invest as much as most of the other Premier League teams in their players which probably plays a part in the awful overall record to this point.

I wouldn't be surprised if they get smoked this weekend by Ottawa...something like 4-0 or 5-1. I guess we can always hope Athletico takes it easy to make it interesting.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada