HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Proposals

Old Posted Mar 12, 2017, 4:26 PM

JERSEY CITY | 808 Pavonia Avenue | 620 + 560 FT | 55 + 49 FLOORS

http://www.nj.com/hudson/index.ssf/2...ehind_loe.html

Quote:
The neighborhood behind the Landmark Loew's Jersey Theatre in Journal Square would be set for a radical transformation under zoning changes up for final adoption by the City Council tomorrow.

The changes would allow the Harwood family to construct residential high-rises and arts facilities on a roughly 2-acre area the family owns that runs along the PATH tracks. The area is now home now to parking lots and a garage.

The city hopes the changes will lead to the creation of a cultural arts district connecting the neighborhood west of the Loew's to Journal Square. The Harwoods would be allowed to build taller high-rises than zoning allows in exchange for creating spaces for theaters, art galleries and studios, museums, libraries and more.

The plans also call for improvements to Concourse West, the walkway commonly called the Loew's alley that offers a direct if narrow connection between the Marion neighborhood and Journal Square. The zoning changes would require developers to incorporate retail space within the concourse and adjacent plaza at the foot of Magnolia Avenue.

The proposed changes to Journal Square zoning come as the area has become a target for real-estate developers. The first high-rise of a three-tower project called Journal Squared is nearly complete, while plans for a two-tower development across the street from the Loew's were approved by the city in August, as were plans for a 72-story skyscraper on the site of the old Jersey Journal building.

The parking lots and garage targeted by the zoning changes up for approval tomorrow night have been owned by the Harwood family for nearly a century. Brett Harwood said the Journal Square development boom convinced the family to revamp their properties.

"As Journal Square has finally started to come into its own, and you can see the results of that all around, we think that there's a higher and better use," Harwood told The Jersey Journal.

The zoning changes would allow for two residential high-rises, one near the foot of Magnolia Avenue and the other near the foot of Pavonia Avenue. The city would allow the developers to exceed the 37-story maximum on each in exchange for the construction of cultural arts facilities in the high-rises and in two additional low-rise buildings. A fifth low-rise building would be allowed to house restaurants, cafes and other retail stores.

The city also envisions an amphitheater, dog run and playgrounds on a site near Van Reipen Avenue.

If approved by the council tomorrow, the zoning changes offer a template to the Harwoods. There are no plans yet, Harwood said, adding that unlimited height restrictions would not lead to soaring skyscrapers.

"Nobody should have expectations that we're going to build another World Trade Center," he said. "It wouldn't be economical, it wouldn't be appropriate."

Old Posted Mar 12, 2017, 4:33 PM

The developer met with the neighborhood civic association yesterday to outline their plan. There will be two residential towers with a total of 1,200 units, probably in the 60-story range (I missed the part of the meeting where they divulged the exact heights). The current 1,000-space parking garage will be completely demolished. The new building will include 450 garage spaces.
  • Timeline: They will seek Planning Board approval within the next month. They hope to break ground within two years after lining up financing, and finish the full project within seven to eight years.
  • Open Space: They plan will include an esplanade along the edge of the site, overlooking the PATH tracks. They also hope to build a park at the end of Van Reipen Ave, and a pedestrian plaza at the end of Magnolia Ave.
  • Arts District: They seek to connect Mana Contemporary and the Loews Theater with a series of cultural spaces and galleries, including a black-box theater. These will be contained in 2 or 3 additional low-rise buildings on the same site as the towers.

They presented renderings and an updated site plan at the meeting. These will be emailed to the community in the next week. I'll post them as soon as I receive them.

Old Posted Mar 12, 2017, 4:47 PM

To give you an idea of where this site is located, it's on the gray parcel marked "10" on this zoning map (the orange parcels marked "2" are the PATH right-of-way):

Old Posted Mar 12, 2017, 4:54 PM

Last post for now... Here's a site plan for the development from September of last year. Up is east in this map. The towers will be Bldg 1 and Bldg 4. The landmarked Loews Theater is the rightmost building (unmarked, to the right of Site 6).

Last edited by Hamilton; Mar 12, 2017 at 6:02 PM.

Old Posted Mar 12, 2017, 6:20 PM

I'm amazed at how fast this one is coming. A welcomed addition to Journal Square.

Old Posted Mar 12, 2017, 7:06 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

The timeline is reasonable as well. Factor in the other developments near J Square, and it's up there in the 3000+ units.

Hopefully in the census results coming up, JC reaches 300,000.

Old Posted Mar 12, 2017, 9:26 PM
Show me the blueprints

They really should build a footbridge crossing the tracks connecting to Cottage Ave.

There is no goodness in him, and his power to convince people otherwise is beyond understanding

Old Posted Mar 29, 2017, 7:05 PM

MODS: Please change the title to

JERSEY CITY | 808 Pavonia Ave | 55 FLOORS + 49 FLOORS | ?? FT

The website is up!

http://www.808pavonia.com/

Renderings:

Old Posted Mar 29, 2017, 8:47 PM

Wow... they've really come up with this fast. They must be seeing the numbers on the widespread interest in the first Journal Squared tower! Hopefully they will be able to start relatively soon(first of course knocking down the massive parking garage in that area they own).

only negative is that I wish we were talking 60-65 stories and closer to 750-800 ft... but 49 probably will be close to 550 ft and the 55 story will be around 600 ft and that will be great for the area. It's not overly innovative but it looks really nice, definitely would be nice possibility as well to make their theater the new home of the Art House Productions since as the other Journal Squared towers get built the Verizon building where they are currently located will be demolished. All in all, pretty great news...now will someone at the other Kushner company get off their asses and get 1 Journal Square started up? The FAA has spoken, it appears all the needed documents have been filed, public interest is revved up as the news on the rapid early sales on the first Journal Squared tower built out has shown...no excuse not to build. Get cracking!

Old Posted Mar 29, 2017, 9:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by citybooster View Post
only negative is that I wish we were talking 60-65 stories and closer to 750-800 ft...
PM me.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2017, 10:58 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Anybody notice a trend with these multi tower projects (2 or more towers). URL, 808 Pavonia, Journal Squared, 70/90 Columbus, One Journal Square, and 33 Park Avenue.

Seems like a lot of the towers coming to JC come in packages of two or three. Which is good.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2017, 11:20 AM
YIMBY co-founder

I'd say that's partly due to lot size. With a big enough lot it makes far more sense financially to build two towers in the 35-55 floor range than a single one at 80-90 floors.
That said, I like it too. Adds more to both the skyline and the urban fabric.
Huopa, Nightsky, Jo, wolkenkrabber, ThisSideofSteinway, jacksom, New Jack City, LeCom, Ellatur, Jan, Dennis, Ace, Bardamu, AtlanticaC5, Ringil, Dysfunctional, stacey, karakhal, ch1le, Hviid, staff, kjetilab, Þróndeimr, queetz, FREKI, sander, Blue Viking, nomels, Mantas, ristov, Rafal_T, khaan, Chilenofuturista, Jonte Myra, safta20, AW, Pas, Jarmo K, IceCheese, Sideshow_Bob, sk, Ingenioren, Ayreonaut, Silver Creations, Hasse78, Svartmetall

Old Posted Mar 30, 2017, 4:24 PM

I like it too as long as the buildings are not the same height.

The Bay Street one looked fine by itself and not looks ridiculous when twinned. Journal Squared should turn out alright, but I fear for 50/90 Columbus, 33 Park, and Urby.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2017, 5:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CIA View Post
I like it too as long as the buildings are not the same height.

The Bay Street one looked fine by itself and not looks ridiculous when twinned. Journal Squared should turn out alright, but I fear for 50/90 Columbus, 33 Park, and Urby.
I would generally agree. Why do they have to be the same in form? Occasionally that kind of form is fine, but EVERY time there is a two or three tower development? I think that while One Journal Square will turn out fine, it was better when there was 56/79... now with both being 777 ft, they may well decide to do the lazy thing and make twins. I had wished Journal Squared would be different not only in height but appearance... I do think the tallest tower which is up next(about 71 stories, 759 ft) really is the best one. the setbacks are on two sides and better realized. But the one up now, the 53 story one, does look like a 432 Park knockoff from most angles and I'm not sure that's good. Glad it's there, but kinda wish it were more creative, bolder.

Let's hope the Harwood development takes a more creative approach.

Old Posted Jun 29, 2017, 9:38 PM

This was APPROVED by the JC Planning Board on Tuesday.

New thread title: JERSEY CITY | 808 Pavonia Ave | 51 FLOORS + 57 FLOORS | 613 + 671 FT

Redevelopment of a property that currently contains an existing 650 space parking deck
multi-phase project consisting of 2 residential buildings (51 and 57 stories) with 1,189 units, 7,300 sq ft of retail, 970 parking spaces above and underground, theater, art gallery, residential amenities, public and private open space

https://static1.squarespace.com/stat...pplication.pdf

I was tempted to speak out AGAINST this plan at the planning board... in favor of something more substantial. 7,300 sq ft of retail is not enough. The area is in desperate need of some markets, especially now that 1JSQ and 30JSQ isn't going anywhere.

Last edited by C.; Jun 29, 2017 at 10:04 PM.

Old Posted Jun 29, 2017, 10:18 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Mods can this be renamed to:

JERSEY CITY | 808 Pavonia Avenue | 51+ 57 FLOORS | 613 + 671 FT

Thanks

Old Posted Jun 30, 2017, 7:41 AM

While the lack of much retail in the actual two towers is disappointing, the original proposal also emphasized smaller rise buildings around it containing retail, restaurants and cafes. The inclusion of art gallery, theater and public open space is significant and was intended in the original. Thankfully you did not go through with that temptation to go against the project, CIA.... It's still vital for the area and we'll be getting some needed height and density as well. The artistic and public space inclusion is essential to the nature of this project contributing to making this arts district vision. The retail and restaurants and café inclusion, while needed in the area, is handled by the smaller buildings. I welcome the height bump from the original decision which was a bit lower.. two 600+ towers will help fill in the skyline beautifully...plus the possibility of a 25 story tower connecting underground with the Journal Square PATH replacing the CH Martin building and another possibly where the Boulevard Drinks building and neighboring ones are located.

What we SHOULD be pushing for is the sale of the One Journal Square and 30 Journal Square Kushner projects to a stable developer. There are just too many problems with KRE and its associated partners right now. The loss of retail potential of over 100,000 square feet is really a deep setback, and we have no idea if they can even start building next year like they said. It's those projects and their dubious potential now to ever get realized under KRE that's the problem, and not the lack of retail options directly in the two tower Harwood Loew's project. In the case of this one, we better hold the feet of the Harwoods who failed us before with their own inability to push their supposedly self financing pension investment partner to build in that same area with the ill fated City Center project that got the Mayor to enlist KRE as a buyer and push them out in the first place. Just let's get it built, one at a time as likely we are getting here but just get them both done over the next few years.

By all means we should get a substantial retail inclusive project up as soon as possible but the Harwood Arts District towers were separate from that. The key would have been the substantial 100,000+ from One Journal Square (and 30 Journal Square would add a decent amount as well). THAT is what we have to see gets done... KRE got out of the bidding for the Bayfront project(thankfully, as their proposal would have been completely NOT what the city's vision of an open and dynamic new community intended) and now they should be pushed to sell One and 30 Journal Square.. and in the meantime until we have a viable developer and project let's do our best to make sure the Harwoods put their money where their mouth is and get 808 Pavonia done.

Old Posted Jul 21, 2017, 12:18 AM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Ambitious 808 Pavonia Project Approved, Aims to Bring Culture to Journal Square

Quote:
A rebirth in Journal Square has been an elusive goal in Jersey City over the years, but a new building boom is demonstrating that the neighborhood’s oft-promised revitalization is finally happening. Now, long time property owners behind a new development are aiming to bring some vibrancy and culture to the area, hoping to have shovels in the ground on their own project by 2019.

Approved late last month, 808 Pavonia Avenue is partially the byproduct of zoning changes that were enacted last year. The City Council amended the Journal Square 2060 Redevelopment Plan to create the Zone 10 Arts District, which aims to facilitate amenities in an alleyway known as Concourse West. The alley currently consists of parking garages and lots behind the historic Loew’s Theater.

The Harwood family, who have had an ownership stake in the over two-acre property since the 1920s, initially revealed plans and a website in March outlining their vision for the land. Slightly modified since then, the approved project now includes five LEED-certified buildings highlighted by two residential towers of 51 and 57 stories.

But while the development will undoubtedly reshape the neighborhood’s skyline, it’s the streetscape changes that might be the most impactful.

“We think this project begins to build a cultural infrastructure in Journal Square,” says Bob Antonicello of GRID Real Estate. He adds the company, who acted as redevelopment advisors, put together the local team behind the oddly-shaped project, which he is proud to say got large community support during the planning and approval process.

In addition to the 1,189 rental units and 970 parking spaces in the project’s two towers, 808 Pavonia will build a 5,000-square foot stand-alone museum and art gallery. The development, designed by New York-based Studio V Design + Planning, also features lots of public open space and amenities including a pedestrian pathway through the alley. Private amenities included in the project include pools and a skyline cabana area.
=====================
https://jerseydigs.com/jersey-city-d...-ave-approved/

Old Posted Aug 2, 2020, 3:06 PM

This was up for the planning board recently for re-approval. Approvals are only good for one or two years. They mentioned they were having trouble finding financing, but that's just a common excuse given by developers to maintain entitlement approval until they're ready to build.

I would not be surprised if the property is sold to a new developer and a bolder proposal is launched after the COVID recovery. My prediction, anyway.

Old Posted Aug 2, 2020, 7:50 PM
Show me the blueprints

This isn't bold enough? This proposal looks awesome.. I hope it gets built as-is. I have a bad feeling in this current climate any sale to another developer would probably produce a less ambitious proposal.

There is no goodness in him, and his power to convince people otherwise is beyond understanding

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Proposals