HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Transportation & Infrastructure

Old Posted Oct 21, 2021, 4:03 AM

Not really new news, however there are some impressive pics of the new roof in the link.

https://www.oregonlive.com/commuting...oden-roof.html

Quote:
PDX offers early look at construction of massive new wooden roof
Updated: Oct. 20, 2021, 6:22 p.m. | Published: Oct. 20, 2021, 4:45 p.m.
By Jayati Ramakrishnan | The Oregonian/OregonLive and Dave Killen | The Oregonian/OregonLive

Portland International Airport routinely ranks among America’s best airports. Soon, it will have one more unique feature for travelers to marvel at: a 392,000 square-foot wooden roof.

Airport officials on Wednesday showed off the fabrication yard where the roof is being built. Designers say the massive structure will evoke the Pacific Northwest’s forests and rivers, and will allow natural light to filter through the wooden beams to give travelers the feeling of walking through a park. But it won’t entirely erase the existing PDX experience.
...(continues)

Old Posted Oct 21, 2021, 7:52 AM
BANNED

Whoa this really is going to be a major remodel. Entirely different looking airport. That’s exciting

Old Posted Oct 21, 2021, 1:14 PM

Yeah this seems like it'll be both exciting and calming at the same time. So beautiful, and gives pdx a world class feel. Now we just need some more international non stops.

Old Posted Oct 22, 2021, 4:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by downtownpdx View Post
Yeah this seems like it'll be both exciting and calming at the same time. So beautiful, and gives pdx a world class feel. Now we just need some more international non stops.
I agree. More international AND domestic non-stops are needed. It sucks to have to go through multiple layovers to make a trek that is normally a 2 hour direct flight, which then can take all day.

Old Posted Oct 22, 2021, 6:40 PM
Registered Ugly

Delta and Alaska were my only choices for directs to Detroit but they keep messing with those schedules or eliminating them altogether. It really bugs me!

But I am very excited about seeing this buildout in person.

Old Posted Oct 23, 2021, 1:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by uncommon.name View Post
I agree. More international AND domestic non-stops are needed. It sucks to have to go through multiple layovers to make a trek that is normally a 2 hour direct flight, which then can take all day.
Yeah covid has really messed things up. I don't have specific numbers off hand but Alaska is really leaning on Seattle as they come out of the air travel recession, so they'll have like 8 direct flights a day to Boise, while we get one. We have to connect through Seattle to get to ridiculously close places. The local demand is there. Hopefully Alaska will realize that, especially with the expansion of Alaska's B gates, and focus more on pdx as a hub. SeaTac is reaching a saturation point, and eventually you gotta look at what you're putting your passengers through to get anywhere. Probably just a matter of time.

Old Posted Oct 23, 2021, 4:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by downtownpdx View Post
Yeah covid has really messed things up. I don't have specific numbers off hand but Alaska is really leaning on Seattle as they come out of the air travel recession, so they'll have like 8 direct flights a day to Boise, while we get one. We have to connect through Seattle to get to ridiculously close places. The local demand is there. Hopefully Alaska will realize that, especially with the expansion of Alaska's B gates, and focus more on pdx as a hub. SeaTac is reaching a saturation point, and eventually you gotta look at what you're putting your passengers through to get anywhere. Probably just a matter of time.
FWIW, it might be worth writing to DL on Twitter, requesting them to add flights to Portland from new cities. They actually do review these requests. I think DL could add a few flights in the northwest, and down the west coast and be very successful.

Old Posted Oct 23, 2021, 4:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanaka07 View Post
FWIW, it might be worth writing to DL on Twitter, requesting them to add flights to Portland from new cities. They actually do review these requests. I think DL could add a few flights in the northwest, and down the west coast and be very successful.
They certainly have plenty of room on concourse D to expand service. The next project for pdx oughta be to remodel the international gates, that's officially the oldest part of the terminal now, built in 1987.

Old Posted Oct 23, 2021, 6:05 PM

The arrival experience at the international gates is by far the worst thing about the airport. It only kind of / sort of works at the moment, and I can't imagine it working well if there was a large expansion of international service from PDX.

www.twitter.com/maccoinnich

Old Posted Oct 23, 2021, 6:54 PM

Exactly, and they don't necessarily need to add gates. Just tear it down and build something that doesn't say Welcome to 1987. There aren't even windows on the west facing wall, it's like a cave back there.

Old Posted Nov 16, 2021, 7:45 PM

Slight at the framing in this article, but anyway the flight to Amsterdam is returning. I wonder if Delta's service to London Heathrow will return at some point.

Quote:
Portland Is Again Getting a Direct Flight to Amsterdam
The direct flight between two weed capitals is the first nonstop service from Portland to a European city since COVID-19 descended.

Did a mellow feeling just wash over you? Portland International Airport is once again getting a nonstop flight to Amsterdam.

The flight will begin service on May 3, 2022, reports the San Francisco Gate. The Port of Portland did not respond to requests for comment on the service restoration.

The direct flight between two weed capitals is the first nonstop service from Portland to a European city since COVID-19 descended. It provides the latest signal that aviation traffic is returning to pre-pandemic levels at PDX.

The most recent numbers from the Port of Portland, from September 2021, show a 130.1% increase in passengers from September 2020 (484,193 passengers) to September 2021 (1.1 million passengers). 2020 saw a 71% decrease in passengers from 2019, when the airport saw 1.6 million passengers in September.

Though numbers still lag behind 2019 levels, the number of flights and passengers has still overcome dramatic decreases in 2020 levels. An employee at the airport echoed this sentiment when asked how airport traffic numbers compare this year to 2020.

“Oh, [it’s] significant,” he said. “We’ve had a significant increase in passenger travel.”
...via Willamette Week.

Old Posted Nov 16, 2021, 8:33 PM
not qualified to comment

Great news indeed! There is definitely strong evidence that BA is still planning to start LHR-PDX in Summer 2022. This report on LHRs Summer 2022 plans (page 10) shows PDX service being added by BA, among other adds. (Thanks user ANA787 over at airliners.net for providing the link!)

Old Posted Nov 16, 2021, 8:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maccoinnich View Post
Slight at the framing in this article, but anyway the flight to Amsterdam is returning. I wonder if Delta's service to London Heathrow will return at some point.

...via Willamette Week.
But no mention of which airline it will be in the article? lol wweek, you're fired. (no hate on the OP)

Old Posted Nov 16, 2021, 9:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by baloneyjoe View Post
Great news indeed! There is definitely strong evidence that BA is still planning to start LHR-PDX in Summer 2022. This report on LHRs Summer 2022 plans (page 10) shows PDX service being added by BA, among other adds. (Thanks user ANA787 over at airliners.net for providing the link!)
Interesting. I had assumed that with their smaller post-COVID fleet they wouldn't be looking at expansions to their network any time soon. Maybe it makes a certain amount of sense, now that Alaska is in Oneworld.

Old Posted Dec 8, 2021, 6:43 PM

From Twitter:

Quote:
Curtis Robinhold
@CurtisRobinhold
Two years ago we celebrated saying goodbye to Concourse A at PDX. Dark. Crowded. We tore it down.
Tomorrow, we're opening our new Concourse B. First flight at 6am. It is going to be great. Say Hello to B, everyone. #hellob

Old Posted Dec 8, 2021, 10:51 PM
not qualified to comment

Thanks for sharing that Mark - it's great to see an actual photo from inside!

The Port's PDXNext website also posted a really cool interactive illustration and more info and pictures (sadly, not really any actual photos of the completed concourse) on their website yesterday. Check it out: https://www.pdxnext.com/Stories/Deta...urse-B-preview

Glad this part of the airport is getting this love finally, and I really love the splitting of the jetway boarding on the upper level, and the ground boarding on the tarmac level. Can't wait for the new main terminal to tie it all together... then it will be time to freshen up D!

Old Posted Dec 9, 2021, 12:58 AM

Quote:
PDX’s newest concourse opens, will serve mostly regional flights

Portland International Airport on Wednesday opened its new Concourse B, which will serve Alaska and Horizon airlines and will have flights to mostly regional airports, such as Bend and Boise.

The Port of Portland, which operates the airport, demolished Concourse A two years ago, and workers have been building the new wing in its place for about two years. It has 10 gates, including four jet bridges and six ground-loading sites.

Port Executive Director Curtis Robinhold said the new concourse is more open and better-lit than the old one, with floor-to-ceiling windows and views of the airfield. It will also soon have a few well-known Portland eateries, including Good Coffee and Screen Door, a popular chicken and waffles restaurant.
...continues at the Oregonian.

Old Posted Dec 11, 2021, 4:19 PM

Some great artwork and a huge improvement over the old concourse A (that was built as a temporary structure in 1988). It's not anything amazing architecturally, and someone who's been there said the gate layout for B3-B5 is a little awkward. Screen Door and Good Coffee don't open until spring.

Old Posted Dec 13, 2021, 5:30 PM

British Airways Announces Nonstop Portland-London Flights

Nonstop flights begin June 3, 2022. 5x/week on a Boeing 787 dreamliner. So glad this flight is returning and it should do well from a cargo perspective as well.

https://mediacentre.britishairways.c...-2022?ref=News

Last edited by Tanaka07; Dec 13, 2021 at 6:07 PM.

Old Posted Dec 13, 2021, 7:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanaka07 View Post
British Airways Announces Nonstop Portland-London Flights

Nonstop flights begin June 3, 2022. 5x/week on a Boeing 787 dreamliner. So glad this flight is returning and it should do well from a cargo perspective as well.

https://mediacentre.britishairways.c...-2022?ref=News
Love this! Not only exciting to get that non-stop connection but having 787-8 Dreamliner's regularly at PDX. Now, if only we had a direct flight to Rome for my Italy trip next year...

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Transportation & Infrastructure