HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Feb 21, 2023, 9:24 PM
Rust Belt Motherland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zapatan View Post
I know, and it's pretty impressive but several approved proposals are still going nowhere which is frustrating.
Sure, that's one way of looking at it, but with the near completion of Lakeshore East and filling in of Streeterville in the current boom, the current iteration of the stalled buildings or something even better becomes more possible as land in those areas becomes more scarce and valuable. This is just a reshuffling of the deck. You can't deal all the cards every time. We had a pretty successful run, but the next boom could be even better as we save the best for last rather than phoning it in. If the mouth of the river sprouts up 2 or 3 new supertalls in the next boom, we'll forget all about the mild disappointment that came before.

Old Posted Feb 21, 2023, 10:28 PM
devout Pizzatarian

Quote:
I know, and it's pretty impressive but several approved proposals are still going nowhere which is frustrating.
It seems like you haven't been following Chicago skyscraper development for very long.

Ever since Chicago first started building tall buildings back in the late 19th century, a certain percentage of towers that are proposed in any given building cycle never get built.

You're allowed to get frustrated by that reality if you want, but it's a little bit like getting frustrated about water being wet.

It's just the way it's always been.

Last edited by Steely Dan; Feb 21, 2023 at 11:00 PM.

Old Posted Feb 21, 2023, 10:50 PM

I'm still a bit heartbroken over losing the Chicago Spire.

Old Posted Feb 22, 2023, 4:44 PM
DENNAB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steely Dan View Post
It seems like you haven't been following Chicago skyscraper development for very long.

Ever since Chicago first started building tall buildings back in the late 19th century, a certain percentage of towers that are proposed in any given building cycle never get built.

You're allowed to get frustrated by that reality if you want, but it's a little bit like getting frustrated about water being wet.

It's just the way it's always been.
I get that not all proposals can happen but what's frustrating is when they're approved and there's adequate demand, and yet they still go nowhere.

Not just Chicago, several US cities seem to have this issue of under building.

Quote:
LA is a nothingburger.
I know but I thought that was going to change.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiSoxRox View Post
I'm still a bit heartbroken over losing the Chicago Spire.
+1, and now they struggle to get a building not even half that height off the ground there.

Old Posted Feb 22, 2023, 5:35 PM
Ex Houstonian

The Chicago Spire never getting built is one of the biggest travesties to ever happen to Chicago. Probably would have been the most amazing supertall in the whole world.

Old Posted Feb 22, 2023, 6:14 PM
Rust Belt Motherland

Quote:
Originally Posted by photoLith View Post
The Chicago Spire never getting built is one of the biggest travesties to ever happen to Chicago. Probably would have been the most amazing supertall in the whole world.
If it had started in earnest and kept going it would've been like the Empire State Building where it was a beautiful boondoggle for decades after its construction. Or even more likely similar to 111 W Wacker where it just stalled out midway. It was definitely a big disappointment, but it was far fetched to begin with and the illusion of its construction was only possible by the real estate bubble that devastated Chicago afterwards. Personally, I'm more disappointed that the site is still empty. I know we'll see something great rise there one day. And there's a chance the cards could be reshuffled on this site and it could be a supertall since the current project stalled out.

Old Posted Feb 22, 2023, 6:39 PM
devout Pizzatarian

Quote:
I get that not all proposals can happen but what's frustrating is when they're approved and there's adequate demand, and yet they still go nowhere.
"Approved" means jack shit in Chicago.

The big tower game here is ALL about landing that big fat construction loan.

If the numbers don't work then the project doesn't happen.

Simple as that.

Old Posted Feb 23, 2023, 12:21 AM
Never Dell

We've gone over this before, but "approved" seems to relate to land use permits in most references. It generally doesn't include building permits. Most design work relates to the latter, or comes even later.

Buildings are often "approved" with only a vague sense of what they'll cost when they're designed and they actually hit the trade contractors.

The final "go" decisions from financial partners happen after the cost, risk, and potential reward are better defined.

Old Posted Feb 23, 2023, 3:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhays View Post
We've gone over this before, but "approved" seems to relate to land use permits in most references. It generally doesn't include building permits. Most design work relates to the latter, or comes even later.

Buildings are often "approved" with only a vague sense of what they'll cost when they're designed and they actually hit the trade contractors.

The final "go" decisions from financial partners happen after the cost, risk, and potential reward are better defined.
Correct. The first approval needed for us in the architectural field is zoning pretty much in every city.

Old Posted Feb 23, 2023, 2:02 PM

Tall building= a building where climbing the stairs to the top floor seems insane.

Old Posted Feb 23, 2023, 5:08 PM
Never Dell

Nah, make stairs your favorite workout and they won't be an issue.

Old Posted Feb 23, 2023, 8:12 PM

Quote:

LA is more of a letdown than Chicago honestly. I thought it had potential to finally turn into a skyscraper city with some of the new proposals but corruption killed most of them, or they're just dormant.
It's in a lull now for sure, but it will pick up as it gets closer to 2028/purple line extension and what not. There's a decent amount of new highrises coming in the next few years, Wilshire Blvd could change quite a bit with the new subway openings. it's under the radar on this forum, but it will be noticeable.

Hollywood too.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions