HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Feb 24, 2023, 2:24 PM

The weird, possibly antisemitic trolling was way over the top. No place for that.

NYT article on Brooklyn eruv expanding to encompass almost all of Brooklyn, with a further expansion planned to cover the remainder. In theory, this could alter residential patterns for Orthodox populations, no longer forcing them to super-cluster in distinct, extremely expensive geographies.

For Strictly Observant Jews in Brooklyn, the Sabbath Expands
https://www.nytimes.com/2023/02/16/n...vant-jews.html

Probably makes no difference for the most ultra-orthodox, however, as my understanding is they don't follow eruv policy. Probably won't affect Williamsburg. It might slightly increase affordability within the larger community, as the geography of potential neighborhoods expands. Might also put slightly less pressure on young couples to leave for Rockland or Orange Counties, or Lakewood, which has become a rite of passage in last 20 years, as Orthodox Brooklyn has become so expensive. Those without generational wealth transfers usually cannot stay.

If I had to guess, this might flip East Flatbush into an Orthodox-leaning community. That's a relatively affordable community right next to expensive, solid Orthodox Midwood, and there has been tentative eastward expansion. There are lots of black West Indians looking to move to Canarsie, or Southeast Queens, certain towns on Long Island, or even Down South, to Georgia, Carolinas or Florida. They're already cashing out to Orthodox and this might put added incentive to sell. Newer schuls have already been built in East Flatbush.

Old Posted Feb 24, 2023, 5:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawford View Post
The weird, possibly antisemitic trolling was way over the top. No place for that.
His comments seemed overtly anti-Semitic to me. Surprised it took so long.

Old Posted Feb 24, 2023, 5:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Docere View Post
So JM Keynes has been banned. Thank you!
This is like his 5th ban.

Old Posted Feb 24, 2023, 5:47 PM

He certainly had a weird obsession with me. I had had him on ignore.

I wonder what finally did him in.

Old Posted Feb 24, 2023, 5:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The North One View Post
This is like his 5th ban.
What were his previous monikers?

Old Posted Mar 2, 2023, 2:29 AM

Article on NYC's ethnic changes from 2010-2020-
https://gothamist.com/news/nyc-is-mo...r_member=False

Some takeaways, none particularly surprising:

-Dominicans now the largest Latino group
-South Asians fastest growing Asian group
-White population growing in core neighborhoods, nonwhite population growing in outer neighborhoods
-Bangladeshi and African communities are big gainers

Old Posted Mar 26, 2023, 7:58 AM

Garden City, Long Island seems fairly unique politically and culturally.

It's a fairly old, established suburb. Obviously very Catholic, Irish and Italian ancestry dominates. Virtually no Jews. It's still quite R, but probably less Trump than Romney. Filled with executives and lawyers as far as I can tell, not contractors and small businesspeople.

Does it just attract wealthy, conservative-minded Catholics?

I don't think one can find a community like this in Boston or Chicago say.

Old Posted Mar 26, 2023, 3:39 PM

I can think of a Detroit equivalent. Bloomfield Village, which is a semi-autonomous enclave within Bloomfield Township, with its own fire, police and zoning. It's extremely Catholic (formerly WASP), professional upper class and very red. Voted solid Trump, in contrast to most of the rest of affluent sububria. It even sorta looks like Garden City.

In Chicago, there are affluent, heavily Catholic areas in the southwestern suburbs that went Trump. I believe Burr Ridge and environs? But Burr Ridge doesn't look or feel anything like Garden City, or Bloomfield Village.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2023, 6:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawford View Post

NYT article on Brooklyn eruv expanding to encompass almost all of Brooklyn, with a further expansion planned to cover the remainder. In theory, this could alter residential patterns for Orthodox populations, no longer forcing them to super-cluster in distinct, extremely expensive geographies.

For Strictly Observant Jews in Brooklyn, the Sabbath Expands
https://www.nytimes.com/2023/02/16/n...vant-jews.html

Probably makes no difference for the most ultra-orthodox, however, as my understanding is they don't follow eruv policy. Probably won't affect Williamsburg. It might slightly increase affordability within the larger community, as the geography of potential neighborhoods expands. Might also put slightly less pressure on young couples to leave for Rockland or Orange Counties, or Lakewood, which has become a rite of passage in last 20 years, as Orthodox Brooklyn has become so expensive. Those without generational wealth transfers usually cannot stay.

If I had to guess, this might flip East Flatbush into an Orthodox-leaning community. That's a relatively affordable community right next to expensive, solid Orthodox Midwood, and there has been tentative eastward expansion. There are lots of black West Indians looking to move to Canarsie, or Southeast Queens, certain towns on Long Island, or even Down South, to Georgia, Carolinas or Florida. They're already cashing out to Orthodox and this might put added incentive to sell. Newer schuls have already been built in East Flatbush.
As somebody who was born and raised in Flatbush, I don't see the Orthodox Jewish population really displacing much of the black population in Flatbush anytime soon. Some will move, but as long as Brooklyn has one of the biggest Caribbean populations in North America, it's nor going to change complexion anytime soon.

As for the Orthodox Jewish population, I see the Orthodox continuing to establish new communities in Upstate NY (Kiryas Joel, etc.), CT (Waterbury, West Hartford), NJ (Lakewood, Toms River), PA (Bucks, Poconos), and maybe even certain parts of FL, and maybe even Canada (Montreal, Toronto). The Orthodox isn't endemic to just the NYC area, even though it's currently the largest outside of Israel.

People, from Italians, Polish, Irish, secular Jews, Puerto Ricans, Dominicans, and even blacks have migrated from NY to other locales either in the East Coast or across the country. The Orthodox may make better communities in those isolated areas I just mention as opposed to the urban neighborhoods in NY, just due to ethnic and even racial tension that occurred in NY the past 40 years alone. I can only wish then the best in their new communities because NY has truly been unaffordable foe most people nowadays, even for most Jews.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2023, 6:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderer34 View Post
As somebody who was born and raised in Flatbush, I don't see the Orthodox Jewish population really displacing much of the black population in Flatbush anytime soon. Some will move, but as long as Brooklyn has one of the biggest Caribbean populations in North America, it's nor going to change complexion anytime soon.

As for the Orthodox Jewish population, I see the Orthodox continuing to establish new communities in Upstate NY (Kiryas Joel, etc.), CT (Waterbury, West Hartford), NJ (Lakewood, Toms River), PA (Bucks, Poconos), and maybe even certain parts of FL, and maybe even Canada (Montreal, Toronto). The Orthodox isn't endemic to just the NYC area, even though it's currently the largest outside of Israel.

People, from Italians, Polish, Irish, secular Jews, Puerto Ricans, Dominicans, and even blacks have migrated from NY to other locales either in the East Coast or across the country. The Orthodox may make better communities in those isolated areas I just mention as opposed to the urban neighborhoods in NY, just due to ethnic and even racial tension that occurred in NY the past 40 years alone. I can only wish then the best in their new communities because NY has truly been unaffordable foe most people nowadays, even for most Jews.
They are also establishing a new community in Texas, specifically in north Dallas. I believe there was a Jewish community there historically, but now Jews from NYC are moving there.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2023, 7:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gantz View Post
They are also establishing a new community in Texas, specifically in north Dallas. I believe there was a Jewish community there historically, but now Jews from NYC are moving there.
I think most major American cities have decent Orthodox populations. There's a very visible and large community in the La Brea/Fairfax area of LA. In the Valley, too. Even Cincinnati has a decent Orthodox community with its own Yeshiva, Kollel, several Shuls, day schools for the kids, etc. centered in the Amberly Village/Golf Manor area. Very common to see them walking around on Saturdays.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2023, 7:37 PM

Orthodox Jews (% of Jewish households)

Montreal 31%
Baltimore 21%
New York 20%
Toronto 17%
Miami 11%
Cleveland 10%
Buffalo 9%
Detroit 9%
Pittsburgh 9%
Vancouver 9%
Philadelphia 8%
Chicago 7%
Los Angeles 7%
Seattle 7%
Winnipeg 6%
Cincinnati 5%
Milwaukee 5%
St. Louis 5%
Washington 5%
Boston 4%
Houston 4%
Denver 3%
Minneapolis-St. Paul 3%
San Francisco 3%

Old Posted Mar 29, 2023, 7:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Docere View Post
Orthodox Jews (% of Jewish households)

Montreal 31%
Baltimore 21%
New York 20%
Toronto 17%
Miami 11%
Cleveland 10%
Buffalo 9%
Detroit 9%
Pittsburgh 9%
Vancouver 9%
Philadelphia 8%
Chicago 7%
Los Angeles 7%
Seattle 7%
Winnipeg 6%
Cincinnati 5%
Milwaukee 5%
St. Louis 5%
Washington 5%
Boston 4%
Houston 4%
Denver 3%
Minneapolis-St. Paul 3%
San Francisco 3%
Why is there such a big disparity between Baltimore and Washington?

Old Posted Mar 29, 2023, 7:41 PM

These figures are for % of households, the number of Orthodox Jews is larger because of larger household sizes.

Outside the NYC region, the following cities have at least 20,000 Orthodox Jews: Baltimore, Chicago, Los Angeles, Miami/South Florida, Montreal, Philadelphia and Toronto.

Last edited by Docere; Mar 29, 2023 at 7:54 PM.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2023, 7:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iheartthed View Post
Why is there such a big disparity between Baltimore and Washington?
Baltimore has long been a center for Orthodoxy. Also Baltimore received a lot of direct Jewish immigration, while DC's Jewish community is almost all from internal migration.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2023, 11:48 PM

When talking about Orthodox in NYC, and why the community is such a political/cultural/religious outlier, people are usually referring to Haredi (Ultra Orthodox) Jews. I don't think there's a sizable population of Haredi Jews anywhere in the world outside of Israel and the NYC area. There are small enclaves in Montreal and Baltimore, but that's about it for North America. There are also a few very small Western European communities.

The term Orthodox isn't particularly descriptive, as it would basically mean almost all Jews in Israel. Modern Orthodox Jews can live in any Jewish community.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2023, 12:35 AM

3 types of Orthodox Jews (Hasidic, Yesivish, Modern Orthodox):

https://hasidicworld.wordpress.com/2...c-vs-orthodox/

The Hasidim speak Yiddish, have low levels of education and the bulk live in and around NYC. Montreal also has a Hasidic community.

Yesivish are also ultra-Orthodox (Haredi) but Hasidic.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2023, 12:42 AM

According to this report there were 493,000 Orthodox Jews in NYC, Long Island and Westchester. Of that 239,000 Hasidim, 97,000 Yesivish and 157,000 Modern Orthodox.

Most Haredim didn't attend college and have lower incomes.

Nearly all Hasidim live in Brooklyn, as did a majority of Yesivish. Modern Orthodox Jews are spread more evenly across the area.

https://www.jewishdatabank.org/api/d...ain_Report.pdf

Last edited by Docere; Mar 30, 2023 at 12:53 AM.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2023, 4:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gantz View Post
It seems that Orthodox Jews are moving towards the interior where there's much cheaper land such as TX & FL. Your Great Plains states such as KS & NE aren't known to be having large Jewish communities, and Dallas and Houston do have Jewish communities, albeit they pale in comparison to NYC, LA, & Miami, or even Montreal & Toronto.

Old Posted Mar 31, 2023, 1:44 AM
cle/west village/shaolin

the latest i guess:

Manhattan’s Population Is Rebounding While the Other NYC Boroughs Shrink

Alex Tanzi - 13h ago

(Bloomberg) -- The population of Manhattan grew in the most recent period tracked by the US Census Bureau while New York City’s four other boroughs lost residents as the city struggles to rebound from a pandemic exodus.

Manhattan added 17,472 residents in the 12 months through July 1, reversing a loss of 98,505 in the period that ended in July 2021, the Census Bureau said in a report released Thursday. Even with the gain, Manhattan’s population of 1.6 million was still about 98,000 residents below its level in April 2020, a month after the coronavirus was declared a pandemic.

Queens shed 50,112 in population during the most recent period; Brooklyn declined by 46,970; and the Bronx and Staten Island fell by 41,143 and 2,351, respectively.

Most of the increase in Manhattan stemmed from births and international migration, according to the Census Bureau. Domestic migration accounted for just 2,908 additional people. The 2021 population decline was largely due to net domestic outmigration.

The city still has a long way to go to get back to pre-pandemic levels. The total population of 8.3 million is down from 8.8 million in April 2020.

Yet New York City is still a mecca of international migration: More than 54,000 people moved there from abroad in 2022.

more:
https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/mark...nk/ar-AA19fekP

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions