HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Mar 15, 2023, 2:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quixote View Post
Oddly, I get a very NYC vibe with Buenos Aires (I've never been) based on Google Street View exploration. It's only reminiscent of Paris in a few areas. But the grid, mix of pre- and post-war buildings of various heights, tree-lined side streets, wide avenues (not meant to be grand monumental) are strangely redolent of Manhattan between 42nd and Houston. NYC is obviously more polished and the architecture more beautiful, but it has a similar raw energy and "messier" look.
Buenos Aires reminds me much more of Paris or Barcelona than it reminds me of NYC. BsAs is a little cleaner than NYC too, and also feels like a European city in that way. I would think these are two scenes from the same city:

https://goo.gl/maps/ttC1fJbWcxZtDVph7
https://goo.gl/maps/NuRUJZBdkuC6RwDu6

And this quite obviously looks like Paris: https://goo.gl/maps/6wCapDJXpeqRNqXPA

Paris: https://goo.gl/maps/izeSZZccfXTZ7FZ4A

Old Posted Mar 16, 2023, 6:56 AM
Future God

Quote:
Originally Posted by jd3189 View Post
Pittsburgh could also be where Chattanooga is now. I like to think of the latter as the Southern little brother of the former.
Agreed...industrial city that even has a funicular!

-Bob Marley

Old Posted Mar 16, 2023, 6:59 AM
Future God

Quote:
Originally Posted by pj3000 View Post
I think that makes more sense than Nashville, but still, Chattanooga is pretty flat in comparison to Pittsburgh. Urban Pittsburgh is built IN the hills, where street grids are impossible. Chattanooga isn’t like that. I think Cincinnati is the only other major city that comes close to the urban topography of Pittsburgh (in the US at least).
I get your point but Chatty is probably the closest analog to Pittsburgh (in terms of topography) in the US. I mean its the only other city with a functional funicular system, and the city is split in two by a mountain that requires you go through a tunnel.

-Bob Marley

Old Posted Mar 16, 2023, 12:15 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Jacksonville and Toronto. Brothers from a different mother. The former has the much better skyline, however.

Old Posted Mar 16, 2023, 1:14 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by iheartthed View Post
Buenos Aires reminds me much more of Paris or Barcelona than it reminds me of NYC. BsAs is a little cleaner than NYC too, and also feels like a European city in that way. I would think these are two scenes from the same city:

https://goo.gl/maps/ttC1fJbWcxZtDVph7
https://goo.gl/maps/NuRUJZBdkuC6RwDu6

And this quite obviously looks like Paris: https://goo.gl/maps/6wCapDJXpeqRNqXPA

Paris: https://goo.gl/maps/izeSZZccfXTZ7FZ4A
Agree with 90% of this. Perhaps the prestige parts of Bs As are a bit spiffier than those of NYC, but in terms of the average for the city NYC is significantly cleaner and better maintained. The bad areas of Bs As don't have anything comparable in NYC.

Old Posted Mar 16, 2023, 2:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Agree with 90% of this. Perhaps the prestige parts of Bs As are a bit spiffier than those of NYC, but in terms of the average for the city NYC is significantly cleaner and better maintained. The bad areas of Bs As don't have anything comparable in NYC.
Yeah, NYC doesn't have the slums that Buenos Aires has, but a visitor to BsAs is highly unlikely to ever see that.

Old Posted Mar 16, 2023, 5:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BnaBreaker View Post
I get your point but Chatty is probably the closest analog to Pittsburgh (in terms of topography) in the US. I mean its the only other city with a functional funicular system, and the city is split in two by a mountain that requires you go through a tunnel.
Just googled the Chatanooga funicular-- had no idea about it, but looks pretty cool! If only Cincinnati had kept its old incline system. They used to have 5 inclines leading out of the urban basin to the hilltop neighborhoods to the west, north, and east, but they were all removed by 1948

Old Posted Mar 16, 2023, 5:51 PM
E pluribus unum

Were I the Wizard of Cincinnati, I'd bring back at least the Mt. Adams and Price Hill inclines.

And a usable subway system

And cap Fort Washington Way.

And some other stuff, but alas, I'm not a wizard.

Old Posted Mar 23, 2023, 10:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JManc View Post
The urban aesthetic of the NL is very different than NYC but NYC has a head start with a lot of Dutch names.
This is true, though with one MAJOR exception. The Dutch city of Rotterdam feels like it could fit in well in the USA. It feels like a revitalized Rust Belt city, or perhaps like a second-tier East Coast city (it even gives me some Seattle vibes too). The Centre in particular feels like a vibrant mid-sized American downtown, but also incorporates the best of European urban design principles at the street level.

Old Posted Mar 24, 2023, 8:49 PM

"Sacramento and Omaha are disassembled and put on railroad flatcars and switch locations"

I initially would not have thought this because of the size difference but I can totally see it!

Old Posted Mar 29, 2023, 5:39 AM

Some have argued that Winnipeg resembles rust belty cities like St. Louis, Milwaukee or Buffalo. Civic boosters a century ago even called it "the Chicago of the north."

I dunno - it honestly seems really Canadian to me.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2023, 5:59 AM
Paradise Island

Winnepeg seems a lot like St Paul to me, which is basically a grittier and more blue collar version of Minneapolis.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2023, 1:08 PM
Future God

Quote:
Originally Posted by edale View Post
Just googled the Chatanooga funicular-- had no idea about it, but looks pretty cool! If only Cincinnati had kept its old incline system. They used to have 5 inclines leading out of the urban basin to the hilltop neighborhoods to the west, north, and east, but they were all removed by 1948
That is a damn shame about the Cincy funicular. And in regards to Chattanooga, looking back I misspoke calling it a "system" as it is just one line, BUT it's something used by locals to commute to and from the suburban mountain top town of Lookout Mountain, and not just some sort of tourist novelty, even though it is often marketed that way by the city.

-Bob Marley

Old Posted Mar 29, 2023, 4:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Docere View Post
Some have argued that Winnipeg resembles rust belty cities like St. Louis, Milwaukee or Buffalo. Civic boosters a century ago even called it "the Chicago of the north."

I dunno - it honestly seems really Canadian to me.
I could see Milwaukee and Buffalo to an extent, but St. Louis is a very bricky city with a different architectural style.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2023, 5:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jd3189 View Post
I'm thinking about where NYC would blend right in. Maybe somewhere in the Low Countries in Europe, right next to Amsterdam?
That's not a coincidence, New York City is Dutch at its Heart. It literally was originally incorporated as 'New Amsterdam'.

New Yorkers still have that Dutch attitude and outlook on life.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2023, 5:47 PM

Richmond Virginia kind of reminds me of a larger Harrisburg Pennsylvania. Harrisburg's Capitol Building is far superior, probably Top 3 vs Bottom 10, but otherwise the cities are a similar build. (based on limited experience with both) Richmond architecturally feels like it fits in more with the northern cities than the south.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2023, 6:05 PM

I can picture St. Louis along the I-95 corridor somewhere between Trenton, NJ and Richmond, VA.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2023, 6:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bailey View Post
That's not a coincidence, New York City is Dutch at its Heart. It literally was originally incorporated as 'New Amsterdam'.

New Yorkers still have that Dutch attitude and outlook on life.
Huh? What does that mean?

NYC feels nothing like Amsterdam, imo. I think London feels the most like NYC, minus the skyscraper canyons and what not. Maybe if London and Hong Kong had a baby, it'd be NYC.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2023, 6:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by edale View Post
Huh? What does that mean?

NYC feels nothing like Amsterdam, imo. I think London feels the most like NYC, minus the skyscraper canyons and what not. Maybe if London and Hong Kong had a baby, it'd be NYC.
Yeah, I agree. There are some vague architectural resemblances to Amsterdam in some historic areas of NYC, but you have to really look hard to see it. NYC and London are far more similar in culture and vibe.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2023, 6:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iheartthed View Post
I can picture St. Louis along the I-95 corridor somewhere between Trenton, NJ and Richmond, VA.
St. Louis and Baltimore share some similarities. Crossroads between North and South. Similar sized cities that have both dropped in relative importance since 1900. They even both have the independent city surrounded with a suburban county with the city's name.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions