HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos

Old Posted Feb 7, 2023, 4:33 PM
not cleavefied

Wink Old Ottawa Outing

Do you enjoy photos from six years ago? I'm still going through my archives. It was part of a train trip through Quebec and Ontario. This stop is for Ottawa.

Previous Stops are Montreal

and Quebec City

Sure does look all nice and happy down here

I might have a problem with locks/canals

In search of JT

Feel free to hop on or hop off this photo thread

Supreme Court? I dunno, its been a long time

Another unknowable building.

Its been years, can only hope Ottawa has upped their ped street game.

cANAL.

some fresh market or some stuff 'n plus. maybe even an obama or jt cookie.

warned you.

coolest bike in ottawa.

kapow.

Is this diefenbaker?

imagine if the capital would have been in little london

bike pathin'

running out of wit

shrug

fin.

perhaps in the next decade i will get to kingston.

Old Posted Feb 7, 2023, 4:46 PM
A gruff individual.

Location: Greenville, SC - "Birthplace of the light switch rave"
I feel an irrational rage at the way the Canadian Parliament building doesn't line up with Metcalfe Street. Or any street. Or that there isn't some sort of mall with a sweeping, majestic vista. Was a monumental avenue -- just one -- really just too much to ask, Ottawa? Was it?!
"To sustain the life of a large, modern city in this cloying, clinging heat is an amazing achievement. It is no wonder that the white men and women in Greenville walk with a slow, dragging pride, as if they had taken up a challenge and intended to defy it without end." -- Rebecca West for The New Yorker, 1947

Old Posted Feb 9, 2023, 6:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hauntedheadnc View Post
I feel an irrational rage at the way the Canadian Parliament building doesn't line up with Metcalfe Street. Or any street. Or that there isn't some sort of mall with a sweeping, majestic vista. Was a monumental avenue -- just one -- really just too much to ask, Ottawa? Was it?!
My grandmother from Ottawa once tole me about plans years ago to bend Metcalfe towards the Peace Tower, requiring the demolition of some old buildings. Needless to say, that never happened. You might be interested to see what IS currently planned for the block immediately south of Parliament Hill. Still no long vista of the Peace Tower from Metcalfe St, but there is now a plan for a public square south of Wellington directly in line with the Tower.https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/ottaw...ment-1.6454774

Old Posted Feb 10, 2023, 2:09 AM
Hong Kong

Looking good!

Old Posted Feb 10, 2023, 11:44 AM
A gruff individual.

Location: Greenville, SC - "Birthplace of the light switch rave"
Quote:
Originally Posted by dahusbandofbath View Post
My grandmother from Ottawa once tole me about plans years ago to bend Metcalfe towards the Peace Tower, requiring the demolition of some old buildings. Needless to say, that never happened. You might be interested to see what IS currently planned for the block immediately south of Parliament Hill. Still no long vista of the Peace Tower from Metcalfe St, but there is now a plan for a public square south of Wellington directly in line with the Tower.https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/ottaw...ment-1.6454774
This sort of thing is nice because a monumental building loses its effect if there's no space set aside to make it monumental. Monuments require dedicated space to view them if they're going to be truly effective. The best capitals are designed in such as way that energy and attention flow toward the capitol or parliament.
"To sustain the life of a large, modern city in this cloying, clinging heat is an amazing achievement. It is no wonder that the white men and women in Greenville walk with a slow, dragging pride, as if they had taken up a challenge and intended to defy it without end." -- Rebecca West for The New Yorker, 1947

Old Posted Feb 10, 2023, 11:49 PM

Nice pics of a wonderful city!

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos