HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Midwest

Old Posted May 23, 2011, 7:07 PM
Honored Member

Culver's is like a McDonald's but with a lot of ice cream.

Old Posted May 23, 2011, 10:57 PM
disneypilled verhoevenist

Quote:
Originally Posted by hudkina View Post
Culver's is like a McDonald's but with a lot of ice cream.
Culvers is worse than McDonalds somehow, in my opinion. It always jacks up my digestive track....not that McDonalds isnt problematic.

Old Posted May 23, 2011, 11:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Meat View Post
I totalled a GTI once. Hit a tree head on at 70mph. Spent the night in the hospital (was fine), but those assholes catheterized me. It was some bullshit.
STRANGE MEAT. Whats the deal with the snowpack in Colorado? I booked a short, nice little flight to Denver and then I found out how deep the snowpack was. I'm a novice mountain hiker and not a skier, I heard that the Sangres had less snowpack (I was planning on being there mid June), so I was thinking of doing that, but I am leaning towards just doing some hikes around Portland under 5000 ft, and getting fucked up in Portland. Flying to Denver from St. Louis is extremely, extremely pleasant, however, and flying to the west coast is a huge bitch (on southwest, anyway...I have to go through LAX)and costs me 3X as much as Denver , so I'm kind of irritated. I don't mind snowshoes, but I saw that photo of that road being cleared in RMNP...

I guess my question is...how fast will that melt off under (10,000 ft or whatever) by mid june, you think the 13r/14r trails will be gushing with water? My guess is that the trails will be a mess in mid june.

Old Posted May 23, 2011, 11:09 PM
I like this much better

It's been an insane year for snow. LOTS of snow this spring. A-Basin will probably be open through the 4th of July.

However, not all areas are like that. Like, can't really predict. Sangres should clear out, but they're farther south. Some areas never lose snow, keep in mind. And, being mountains, there can be extreme variation in just a mile or so. 14ers should be open. Like, nothing will be closed by snow come June. It's expensive to fly to Denver? That sucks, because it's pretty freaking cheap to fly anywhere from here.

Old Posted May 23, 2011, 11:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Meat View Post
It's been an insane year for snow. LOTS of snow this spring. A-Basin will probably be open through the 4th of July.

However, not all areas are like that. Like, can't really predict. Sangres should clear out, but they're farther south. Some areas never lose snow, keep in mind. And, being mountains, there can be extreme variation in just a mile or so. 14ers should be open. Like, nothing will be closed by snow come June. It's expensive to fly to Denver? That sucks, because it's pretty freaking cheap to fly anywhere from here.
Thanks. No, it's really cheap to fly to Denver from St. Louis, but it's a bitch to fly to PDX using southwest, and not real cheap. At this point I'm planning on flying into SEA for this reason, and then out of PDX connecting with the Cascades Amtrak. I'll come back to Colorado in August, probably, and hike a 14r. I'll make sure I am in better shape.

Old Posted May 23, 2011, 11:40 PM
I like this much better

Shit I think Denver to Portland is like, $99. Or less. Just like pretty much everywhere on the west coast is for us (via Southwest at least).

Old Posted May 23, 2011, 11:51 PM

It's crazy how big the west is. Portland is further from Denver than St. Louis is from Denver. Southwest has really expanded at STL but fuel has gone up, it sucks. The east coast is still reasonable but the west coast isnt.

Old Posted May 24, 2011, 12:01 AM
I like this much better

Quote:
Originally Posted by Centropolis View Post
It's crazy how big the west is. Portland is further from Denver than St. Louis is from Denver. Southwest has really expanded at STL but fuel has gone up, it sucks. The east coast is still reasonable but the west coast isnt.
I'm not surprised by it. I mean, Boise is something like a 10 hour drive from here, which is not much shorter than it would be to drive to STL. I can get down to SoCal in like, 14 hours though, depending on weather and traffic. I do a road trip every spring break from here through Reno/Tahoe then down the coast and back. It's not that bad.

Old Posted May 24, 2011, 12:40 AM
Uncle Grandpa

Nevermind.

Old Posted May 24, 2011, 4:36 AM
E pluribus unum

I used to be able to get from Southern California to Columbus roundtrip for about $200, but that's doubled in the past couple years thanks to fuel prices.

Apparently there was a tornado warning in Central Ohio (maybe it was a watch?) if my mother is to be believed. Sounds like the storms that pounded Missouri are making their way eastward.

Old Posted May 24, 2011, 7:48 PM
Registered Loser

this is where we come to bitch about life right?

the car accident saga continues. the two jobs that i was supposed to be starting this week both require a car so i'm out of work again.

i'm entirely broke and now broken too. my head's pounding and i have a mild concussion... i don't think i'd be up to any job interviews at the moment. i'm going to a doctor this week about the whiplash.

on top of the $0 i have, i'll probably get a ticket. everything i've heard so far says it's going to be my fault 100% because i was turning left when i got hit. nevermind the fact that they entered the intersection illegally (the light was either red or tail end of a long yellow which is also illegal to enter on) and were speeding. they have already lied twice in their statement claiming they were going under 20 km/h (HA: my car was essentially still when we hit and both cars were totalled, there's being squished by about a third... yeah right under 20 km/h) and they claimed that i entered the intersection on a red. that just doesn't make any sense at all, if i had a red then they had a red: we were going opposite directions on the same road.

Old Posted May 25, 2011, 12:01 AM

well, at least you don't live in fear of superstorms. they are predicting one tomorrow here. Theres also an angry, rain wrapped squall line the size of California barreling down into western Missouri right now that's disrupting radar.

i used to really, really love midwestern/plains style thunderstorms.

Old Posted May 25, 2011, 2:21 AM
I am a typical

They seem really bad lately. Obviously it is a message from God.

Old Posted May 25, 2011, 2:26 AM
Honored Member

We haven't seen much bad weather this year. The worst I've seen so far is a strong rain.

Old Posted May 25, 2011, 3:02 AM
Bah!

Damn, Touraccuracy, that really sucks! Sorry to hear the bad news.
Not a good year in any way for anybody.

Old Posted May 25, 2011, 3:04 AM
Bah!

Quote:
Originally Posted by vid View Post
They seem really bad lately. Obviously it is a message from God.
Can't he just text his messages like everybody else.

Old Posted May 25, 2011, 3:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockyi View Post
Damn, Touraccuracy, that really sucks! Sorry to hear the bad news.
Not a good year in any way for anybody.
definitely a suck fucking year, and i have a job. '09-'11 has really sucked in general. '05-'06 was bad ass, before that sucked. ironically, the most enjoyable part of '06 i was partially unemployed.

Old Posted May 25, 2011, 1:38 PM
Uncle Grandpa

2008 was my bad year. My brother's suicide then the loss of my job one month later. Things have been going uphill since. Now I can avoid a tornado today that would be awesome as well.

Old Posted May 25, 2011, 10:02 PM
Bah!

While things aren't great for me at the moment, mostly job problems (supervisor from hell), it's not as bad as my stretch of crap luck from
July '09 - Dec '10..... but we also have tornado warnings at the moment so my luck COULD go bad again........YIPPEE!!!

Old Posted May 25, 2011, 10:35 PM
EVDS MPlan Grad

I'm hoping my shitty period stays at one month. May has been pretty brutal, but it seems like things are getting back to normal quite fast. I'd say things are even better than they were last year. Sure, my girlfriend left me, but we still talk most days and she is definitely one of my best friends, so if I compare now to before I met her, now is better. She still plans on visiting me here, and I will probably visit her next year sometime.

Insurance should cover most of what was taken from my house, so the only thing lost there is time spent replacing everything (especially if my CDs are gone, rockyi would know what that's like).

I'm pretty much out of money now, which is new for me, but I think I have a solid plan to make a fair bit next summer. I'll just have to be very thrifty over the next year, which I've never had a problem doing (other than travel, I don't really spend much).

So yeah, it seems like this rough patch won't really be all that rough after all. I probably don't have to worry about tornadoes (even though AB is technically a part of 'Tornado Alley'), and while my relationship with Raquel has changed, it is still there, and still a great one.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Midwest