HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted Aug 24, 2010, 3:05 PM

<sarcasm> A cool new Warehouse district development </sarcasm>

When I noticed the bright new parking lot where the new hotel is supposed to go (at 5th and Colorado), my heart sank. The Austin Contrarian had a similar take on it:

http://www.austincontrarian.com/aust...velopment.html

Quote:
The first green shoots are shooting! Just last week, the owners of a just-demolished Warehouse District building installed a brand spanking new surface parking lot at 5th and Colorado:

It's conveniently located in the very heart of the Warehouse District. The parking lot will save patrons of the restaurants and bars along 4th and 5th a trudge from one of the many surface parking lots a a full block or two away. Better, it breaks up the monotonous row of restaurants and offices stretching from Congress to Lavaca, provides some badly needed open space, and gives passersby an unobstructed view of the towers on 2nd street -- a view that they could enjoy before only by standing at the corner of the block.

Sarcasm doesn't play well, I know, but leveling a building for a parking lot in the middle of the Warehouse District deserves contempt.

Old Posted Aug 24, 2010, 3:15 PM
Meh

Eww. So I'm guessing then that the hotel tower isn't moving along afterall.

Oh well, maybe it can be a hangout for topless women to sunbathe.

^By the way, I can't believe I missed out on that. haha

Old Posted Aug 24, 2010, 4:02 PM

Yeah... Priller, I had the same response. I tried to make up a reason for it... like, arn't they smart to make some money off of parking while they finish the plans!

But, I see it more as: "better tear that down now before someone changes their mind.... and... we'll see if we can build that hotel at some point."

Old Posted Aug 24, 2010, 4:11 PM

Yeah, too bad. I'm sure investors take these decisions under serious consideration. They may want to flip the property, and the blank canvas of a parking lot could make it easier to spot for potential buyers. Meanwhile, I'm sure its good to generate some form of revenue from the property. Being a landlord of old run down buildings is expensive even if you can get the tenants to stay and actually pay rent - especially in this economy.

What was there before?

Old Posted Aug 24, 2010, 4:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinFromTexas View Post
Eww. So I'm guessing then that the hotel tower isn't moving along afterall.

Oh well, maybe it can be a hangout for topless women to sunbathe.
haha
Is this what you had in mind Kevin

Quote:
Miss America didn't make an appearance Sunday at noon at the corner of Sixth and Congress when an eccentric crowd of Austinites (is there any other kind?) gathered for the local version of National Go Topless Day.

http://www.statesman.com/news/local/...er-875063.html

Old Posted Aug 25, 2010, 4:22 AM
Representing the ATX!!!

It makes me sick honestly to think that before there was actually a building there that could have been used for something until the hotel was ready to start construction. I mean at least have some sort of special event club open up there. I think the city council should not allow this at all. We are trying to get rid of surface parking lots downtown, not add more....

Old Posted Aug 25, 2010, 12:24 PM

^^Totally agreed, what a discrace

Old Posted Aug 25, 2010, 5:55 PM

Dang. Can't the city issue demolition/building permits that would prohibit returning the lot to use as a parking facility? I know the typical property rights argument can be made, but we're talking the warehouse district and CBD. Seems like the city is wasting a bunch of money upgrading to Great Streets and then having them just take you to new surface parking lots... not to mention new parking lots compete with the recently upgraded/future "after hours" parking meters that the city uses for revenue.

Old Posted Aug 25, 2010, 9:05 PM

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAM View Post
What was there before?
From the link provided earlier.
What was there....

What they want to build there.....

Old Posted Aug 25, 2010, 9:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by electricron View Post
From the link provided earlier.
What was there....
What was in the building? Besides a torn down building, I'm wondering what we are all missing out on now that the old building is gone?

Old Posted Aug 26, 2010, 7:28 PM

There was nothing in the building, the parking area for the building was already used for late night parking, and it reeked of homeless/drunk piss. A temporary parking is just fine.

Old Posted Aug 27, 2010, 5:02 AM

Parking is desperately needed in the Warehouse district. A parking lot is a better use of the space than an abandoned building. But I hope the hotel gets built ASAP.

Old Posted Aug 27, 2010, 3:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hill Country View Post
Parking is desperately needed in the Warehouse district.
Okay, I always wonder when I hear this sentiment. Is that really true? You've got the Chase bank garage across 5th street. There's the old comptroller's building garage across Colorado from that. There's city hall. Then there's the city's garage next to the 360. I think you can park in the Ashton now, too. If these and other places are often full, then I would tend to agree that parking is "desperately needed", but I don't think that's the case.

Besides, this new lot only provides about 30 parking spots, not really much of a difference.

Old Posted Aug 27, 2010, 6:45 PM
Meh

But those are pay parking places! (Read that in a whiny sounding voice). My brother and sister in law went out to eat with his boss a week ago in downtown, and he commented on how he hates looking for parking. They ate on 2nd Street, ahem, Willie Nelson Boulevard. Anyway, I told him there was plenty of garages in the area to park, and he said "but they're all pay parking." I don't get people's complaints about having to pay to park. I feel like asking them was the gas it took to get there free? If you want to park for free, do what I do and lock it up to a bike rack.

Old Posted Aug 27, 2010, 7:45 PM

I actually LIKE driving around looking for free parking, and I rarely have trouble finding it downtown (at least on evenings and weekends). I guess I actually like to walk a bit downtown, but I'll save my passengers the boredom of looking with me (or the walk) and drop them off. Now if I'm late for a show or something, I'll pay to park... like maybe $5-7. Doesn't seem that bad at all to me.

Certainly I wouldn't classify it as "desperately needing parking".

Old Posted Aug 28, 2010, 4:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by priller View Post
Okay, I always wonder when I hear this sentiment. Is that really true? You've got the Chase bank garage across 5th street. There's the old comptroller's building garage across Colorado from that. There's city hall. Then there's the city's garage next to the 360. I think you can park in the Ashton now, too. If these and other places are often full, then I would tend to agree that parking is "desperately needed", but I don't think that's the case.

Besides, this new lot only provides about 30 parking spots, not really much of a difference.
Yep... you are right.. There is always parking available. I live and play downtown. I have never not found a spot.

PS... that building was not abandoned. up until it was sold it was always occupied. I would rather have had a functioning business than a parking lot.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin