HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted May 26, 2022, 3:17 AM

Smile

I can recall when there was an airport where the Peach St Mall is and Peach St was two lane. A long time ago. 1st McDonalds in Erie was the one on @ 4200 block of Peach. It had the Golden Arches and a sign outside flashing how many millions sold. FF were 11 cents burgers were 19. At one point they tried charging 3 cents for a packet of ketchup. That didn't last long.

Old Posted May 26, 2022, 3:29 AM
somewhere in-between

Steel continues to climb at the ASCEND climbing gym / mixed use development, at 5th and State -

Source: LinkedIn | EDDC

Old Posted May 26, 2022, 1:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFWCC8 View Post
I can recall when there was an airport where the Peach St Mall is and Peach St was two lane. A long time ago. 1st McDonalds in Erie was the one on @ 4200 block of Peach. It had the Golden Arches and a sign outside flashing how many millions sold. FF were 11 cents burgers were 19. At one point they tried charging 3 cents for a packet of ketchup. That didn't last long.
My dad talks about how they used to drive up Peach St. to grab a bite at the Glenwood Dinor or the McDonalds. He says a bit further south, it just turned into houses, St. George Church, and a handful of businesses in the Kearsarge "business district" of which only the Books Galore and Peking Chinese restaurant buildings now remain.

I saw they recently demolished that nice, late '20s/early '30s brick house next to the Dunkin Donuts, that served as Howard Hanna offices. Too bad... but that's Erie/Millcreek for you... can't wait to get another 2nd tier chain store with big front parking lot in there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by deja vu View Post
Steel continues to climb at the ASCEND climbing gym / mixed use development, at 5th and State -

Source: LinkedIn | EDDC
Good to see this tower rising!

Going to be a huge addition to this area

Old Posted Jun 10, 2022, 1:02 AM

Cool little tidbit...

There is a 5 million $ multi-condo building being built on west front street. Million dollars a pop. Grapevine says multiple interested prospective tenants.

Old Posted Jun 16, 2022, 3:34 AM

EDDC scores a new to Erie tenant on the 3rd floor of the Bonnel Bldg
at the NE corner of 5th & State sts.

See Video

https://www.erienewsnow.com/story/46...-downtown-erie

Old Posted Jun 30, 2022, 5:25 PM

Erie County Community College expanding to former Villa Maria Academy on West 8th in Millcreek. Seems like a good, "turnkey" location... and plenty of room for expansion with the former Villa Maria College campus adjacent. I figured this was in the works considering the current location on the east side at St. Ben's and Villa consolidation with Cathedral Prep. I was hoping for a more central, downtown location (Erie Central Mall would be perfect), but this is pretty good.

Old Posted Jul 1, 2022, 1:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pj3000 View Post
Erie County Community College expanding to former Villa Maria Academy on West 8th in Millcreek. Seems like a good, "turnkey" location... and plenty of room for expansion with the former Villa Maria College campus adjacent. I figured this was in the works considering the current location on the east side at St. Ben's and Villa consolidation with Cathedral Prep. I was hoping for a more central, downtown location (Erie Central Mall would be perfect), but this is pretty good.

With all the abandoned schools in Erie, I'm glad that the former Villa building will be in use by someone. It's still in nice condition and I believe was remodeled with the last few decades.

The Prep-Villa merger sure has been controversial on social media. I feel bad for my Villa alumni friends, but in the end I think it will benefit both schools. Financially it didn't make sense to have two separate schools yet sharing some of the same leadership and facilities.

Old Posted Jul 8, 2022, 1:16 PM

Thomas Hagen has purchased the old Sophia's Tavern

"This spring, Hagen paid $195,000 to purchase the former Sophia's Tavern, located at 514 Cherry St. The tavern, housed in a two-story brick building that was built in 1908, closed its doors in 2019."

He has no concrete plans as to what he wants the building to be used for, though. But nice to see the building in his hands.

https://www.goerie.com/story/news/lo...OSC2uy8kgz2VOw

Old Posted Jul 8, 2022, 2:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jFug View Post
"This spring, Hagen paid $195,000 to purchase the former Sophia's Tavern, located at 514 Cherry St. The tavern, housed in a two-story brick building that was built in 1908, closed its doors in 2019."

He has no concrete plans as to what he wants the building to be used for, though. But nice to see the building in his hands.

https://www.goerie.com/story/news/lo...OSC2uy8kgz2VOw
Sophia's was around for very long time... and it was a ROUGH place since the 1970s. I've never quite understood how it avoided being shut down. I think the owner, who lived across the street, had some sort of political pull in the city. Fights, stabbings, shootings, dealing, prostitution... if you were looking for any of that, Sophia's could offer it. I used to live very close to it, and the amount of gunfire that would frequently erupt in the neighborhood between 2:30 and 4:00 AM -- the result of arguments/fights that occurred at Sophia's earlier -- was unreal.

Tom Hagen is currently renovating the 1920s Jarecki-Collins house at 620 West 6th for his residence... which Sophia's is basically right behind. I'm sure he didn't want another nuisance bar taking Sophia's place, especially now that he's going to be living right near it.

Last edited by pj3000; Jul 8, 2022 at 3:13 PM.

Old Posted Aug 10, 2022, 12:55 PM

Renovations on ValueMomentum's State Street building will move forward

I assumed the plans for this fell through, but apparently the building is still on track to be renovated and used for a development center.

The building has sat vacant since 2019 and that's mostly because of COVID but ValueMomentum said that it should be open by April 2023.

https://www.goerie.com/story/busines...g/65389992007/

Old Posted Aug 10, 2022, 2:36 PM

Quote:
I assumed the plans for this fell through, but apparently the building is still on track to be renovated and used for a development center.

The building has sat vacant since 2019 and that's mostly because of COVID but ValueMomentum said that it should be open by April 2023.

https://www.goerie.com/story/busines...g/65389992007/

Here's to hoping that they keep the exterior pretty much as-is.

Look no further than the National Fuel building a block south and the former Sumner Nichols building on W8th & Sass for examples of how "renovations" to mid-century buildings go horribly, horribly wrong.

Last edited by pj3000; Aug 15, 2022 at 9:41 PM.

Old Posted Aug 22, 2022, 9:23 PM

Good look at downtown from the east. It would be really great to see Parade Street revitalized. There's been so much demolition for non-appropriate uses over the decades, but there are sections which retain good building stock. So much opportunity for infill mixed-use/residential on the surface lots on East 14th by the Lovell complex.

Last edited by pj3000; Aug 29, 2022 at 8:23 PM.

Old Posted Aug 23, 2022, 3:03 AM

Quote:
Good look at downtown from the east. It would be really great to see Parade Street revitalized. There's been so much demolition for non-appropriate uses over the decades, but there are sections which retain good building stock. So much opportunity for infill mixed-use/residential on the surface lots on East 14th by the Lovell complex.
Nice shot. Erie actually has a skyline from that angle lol.

I work near Lovell Place and I always hated the surface lots that surround it. That neighborhood would benefit from some additional (market rate) housing.

Old Posted Aug 24, 2022, 3:29 PM

Here's a photo I took yesterday of the parking garage the EDDC is constructing at W. 5th and Peach. Both the garage and the adjacent building are starting to take shape and when coupled with the addition of Richford Arms, are really adding density to that intersection.

It's kind of weird to think that only a few years ago this was just a empty surface lot and a McDonald's.

Old Posted Aug 24, 2022, 6:00 PM

Quote:
Here's a photo I took yesterday of the parking garage the EDDC is constructing at W. 5th and Peach. Both the garage and the adjacent building are starting to take shape and when coupled with the addition of Richford Arms, are really adding density to that intersection.

It's kind of weird to think that only a few years ago this was just a empty surface lot and a McDonald's.

Wow, I didn't realize it was that far along already. That's the garage that's going to be "wrapped" with a residential development, correct?

Old Posted Aug 25, 2022, 12:10 AM

Quote:
Wow, I didn't realize it was that far along already. That's the garage that's going to be "wrapped" with a residential development, correct?
Yes, this will be the garage with a wraparound on Peach and 5th. This photo was taken from the backside of the garage.

Old Posted Aug 27, 2022, 2:37 PM

Here's a photo update of the construction happening at 5th and State.

Photo taken by me on 8/26/22.

Old Posted Aug 30, 2022, 5:31 AM

A couple really good shots of the bayfront looking east.

Obviously the recent industrial tracts right on the water are ripe for development (I noted construction equipment on the SE corner of Sassafras Pier, where the market house is planned), but that surface lot at Front & Sass is screaming for development. It's too bad that UPMC-Hamot controls so much of the land right on the bluff above the central bayfront. Hospitals generally suck in terms of creating proper urban environments.

Photo credit: Patrick Grab https://www.814photo.com/

Old Posted Aug 30, 2022, 5:34 AM

Quote:
Nice shot. Erie actually has a skyline from that angle lol.
Well, just think how it would look if Erie Insurance actually had some balls and built their new HQ building 2x or 3x as high, rather than a massive, squat 7-story dud!

And... had Erie not demolished the Commerce Building, Ariel Building, Lawrence Hotel, Central HS, and City Hall... would be a pretty decent small city skyline.

Old Posted Aug 31, 2022, 5:33 AM

Erie Bank to build branch location on the NW corner of East 10th & Parade sts. This is an old area of town that hasn't seen much development in the last 50yrs or so. It is hoped to spur re-investment in a inner city neighborhood.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations