HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest

Old Posted Jan 28, 2021, 5:29 PM
Skyriser

I also notice that the design of the site preserves view corridors--the builk of the massing is on the west and north sides of the lot where they have the fewest, if any, possibilities of buildings significantly blocking views.

Link/Here/Phase III's developers may try to lease highrise units that leave a sliver of daylight, good for them--that kind of claustrophobic design might work in Japan where Mitsubishi is headquartered but it seems overkill for Phoenix. Stewart and Derby could easily have their north sides basically walled off too with future development.

I wouldn't want to live in a unit where I could literally spit on the tower next door.

Old Posted Jan 28, 2021, 5:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by combusean View Post
I wouldn't want to live in a unit where I could literally spit on the tower next door.
I've been kicking this around for a while as well. Having lived in those kinds of situations before, it's not ideal. We accepted it in Chicago because that's just what you get if you want to live in the city. When we came back here and got some open space it was great. I'd never voluntarily live in that chicken coop environment again.

All that said, there are a lot of people moving here and I don't think finding 750 (?) renters to fill those apartments and feel excited about the level of density they live in will be difficult.

Old Posted Jan 28, 2021, 6:13 PM

I remember touring a unit on the east side of Link several months ago and noting aloud that the views to the east would soon be obscured by Phase II. The leasing agent changed the subject quickly.

I do wish we had gotten the second 304ft tower somewhere else in the skyline as opposed to right beside the 350ft one, but I suppose beggars can't be choosers. Despite being on top of one another, the substantial height difference and different design elements of Link and Here make the final product all right with me. I hope the third tower follows suit.

Old Posted Jan 28, 2021, 8:23 PM
Modulator

Link does not have any balconies facing East towards Here PHX and the adjacent windows facing Here PHX are primarily bedroom windows. Most people are going to worry about their balcony/main window view which is North and South for both towers and not so much their bedroom windows.

The 3rd tower when built will have a much larger gap between it and Link. So it should not be an issue for Link's North side.

Old Posted Jan 28, 2021, 9:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrestedSaguaro View Post
Link does not have any balconies facing East towards Here PHX and the adjacent windows facing Here PHX are primarily bedroom windows. Most people are going to worry about their balcony/main window view which is North and South for both towers and not so much their bedroom windows.

The 3rd tower when built will have a much larger gap between it and Link. So it should not be an issue for Link's North side.
Yep. Very small windows facing east. But from my experience they are small kitchen and living room windows facing HERE. The larger living room and bedroom windows face north and south.

Old Posted Jan 28, 2021, 10:26 PM
Modulator

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHXFlyer11 View Post
Yep. Very small windows facing east. But from my experience they are small kitchen and living room windows facing HERE. The larger living room and bedroom windows face north and south.
I haven't seen the floor plans for Here yet. But it is geared towards student housing, so is it really going to matter with students? Not sure on that as I didn't get to live in a high-rise when I was in college

Old Posted Jan 28, 2021, 11:30 PM

Adeline topped out:

Old Posted Jan 29, 2021, 12:04 AM

I really am hoping they put a Cold Beers and Cheeseburgers on that corner, or in the old Hard Rock.

Speak of which... I think most of that retail is empty now with Hard Rock, the Park and some of those little sports under the shades closed. If I were them, I'd use that as an opportunity for another tower to to the west and then leave some retail space in the new tower ground floor.

Old Posted Jan 29, 2021, 12:23 AM
Modulator

Quote:
I really am hoping they put a Cold Beers and Cheeseburgers on that corner, or in the old Hard Rock.

Speak of which... I think most of that retail is empty now with Hard Rock, the Park and some of those little sports under the shades closed. If I were them, I'd use that as an opportunity for another tower to to the west and then leave some retail space in the new tower ground floor.
I hadn't even realized Park had closed. Guess I didn't miss it much

All joking aside, I would like to see them at least update the look of the retail portion of that corner to match with the upcoming Adeline retail and Block 23.

Old Posted Jan 29, 2021, 12:33 AM
Skyriser

I didn't realize that site planning with Adeline would be such trash.

Old Posted Jan 29, 2021, 12:44 AM

Quote:

All I wanna know is if Taco Bell Cantina is still open?

Old Posted Jan 29, 2021, 1:13 AM
self-important urbanista

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASU Diablo View Post
It was a week or two ago when I last walked past it.

Old Posted Jan 29, 2021, 3:17 AM

Taco Bell is still open, albiet very limited hours. Monday thru Friday

Old Posted Jan 29, 2021, 8:00 AM

Quote:
Yeah, Taco Bell is limited hours, like 9 am til 3 pm Monday Thru Friday, can’t imagine selling alcohol too much. The Whining Pig is open. But the the fast food places are pretty much closed, The Park has been closed since the first shut down began back in March. I sure hope they start to bring fans back soon for the Suns. Coyotes are 25 percent. If I had to guess, I think the Suns will bring back fans for the second half of the season starting in March. Maybe even for the Lakers game, our last scheduled game. Daily COVID going down, I’m guessing right now that cases should be under 1000 per day by the end of February, let’s all hope. But yeah, those spots will be prime spots, and I agree Cold Beers and Cheese Burgers makes sense in The Park location, with Dbacks soon after, they will have fans I’m sure and won’t be hard to socially distance in there if we still need to,lol. Could be some great opportunities in that retail area soon.......

Old Posted Jan 29, 2021, 2:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJPHXskyscraperfan View Post
Yeah, Taco Bell is limited hours, like 9 am til 3 pm Monday Thru Friday, can’t imagine selling alcohol too much. The Whining Pig is open. But the the fast food places are pretty much closed, The Park has been closed since the first shut down began back in March. I sure hope they start to bring fans back soon for the Suns. Coyotes are 25 percent. If I had to guess, I think the Suns will bring back fans for the second half of the season starting in March. Maybe even for the Lakers game, our last scheduled game. Daily COVID going down, I’m guessing right now that cases should be under 1000 per day by the end of February, let’s all hope. But yeah, those spots will be prime spots, and I agree Cold Beers and Cheese Burgers makes sense in The Park location, with Dbacks soon after, they will have fans I’m sure and won’t be hard to socially distance in there if we still need to,lol. Could be some great opportunities in that retail area soon.......
There really aren't any decent sports bars downtown. Hooters is too far from the Arena and Ballpark, Majerle's is basically a novelty with awful food, and I think Titled Kilt closed (which was trash anyways).

I just think it'd be great to have something like a Zipps or Cold Beers. Doesn't have to be one of those brands but they somethink with that type of environment, plenty of TVs, audio and good food.

Old Posted Jan 29, 2021, 3:16 PM

Quote:
There really aren't any decent sports bars downtown. Hooters is too far from the Arena and Ballpark, Majerle's is basically a novelty with awful food, and I think Titled Kilt closed (which was trash anyways).

I just think it'd be great to have something like a Zipps or Cold Beers. Doesn't have to be one of those brands but they somethink with that type of environment, plenty of TVs, audio and good food.
Yeah Tilted Kilt closed permanently and being replaced by new State 48 Brewery/Bourbon concept so that's one less sports bar in the immediate area.

Zipps, Cold Beers, or even a Buffalo Wild Wings is a no brainer for that corner. I believe the old The Park spot is a much bigger space, square footage wise, so maybe have a big sports bar go in that retail location versus where Hard Rock was.

Last edited by ASU Diablo; Jan 29, 2021 at 4:07 PM.

Old Posted Jan 29, 2021, 3:26 PM

Where is that Adeline picture from? It is a cool angle!!!

Old Posted Jan 29, 2021, 3:47 PM

Quote:
Yeah Titled Kilted closed permanently and being replaced by new State 48 Brewery/Bourbon concept so that's one less sports bar in the immediate area.

Zipps, Cold Beers, or even a Buffalo Wild Wings is a no brainer for that corner. I believe the old The Park spot is a much bigger space, square footage wise, so maybe have a big sports bar go in that retail location versus where Hard Rock was.
Yea I agree with you, from what I remember Hard Rock had a strange two-level layout. The Park's old location would be better.

Old Posted Jan 29, 2021, 3:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gymratmanaz View Post
Where is that Adeline picture from? It is a cool angle!!!
I believe it was from the Hines website

Old Posted Jan 29, 2021, 6:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHX06 View Post
I agree. We definitely need more towers between The Stewart and BMO to join downtown and midtown. Is there anything planned for that lot beside the The Old Spaghetti Factory?
I'd rather DT connect to MT with a somewhat urban cityscape (1-2 towers + several mid-rises) vs. 4-5 over-parked towers on super-blocks with miles of ramps, docks, leasing offices, etc. at ground level. Phase I of this boom filled prime lots (McDowell/Central) with 4-5 story crap, while Phase II brought more height; but, DT is still missing a mix of employers (office), homeowners (condos), and retail (shopping, services) to complement hotel, rentals, and restaurants.

That's the issue with developers aggregating so much land; DT 'districts' are corporate creations: RED District (Washington / Central), CoP District (Adams / Central), Crow District (Fillmore / Central), True North District (Roosevelt / Central). That's being generous, considering the CoP / County extend into the WD / WVB; plus, PBC (largely vacant for 10+ yrs) and old superblocks like AZ Center in the middle.

The best projects have been infill; 1 block with several uses, heights, etc. True North has great ideas, for ex, but because they "own" RR, they can 'sacrifice' land like the lot on Moreland (2nd-3rd St) for a garage, while a different owner might see potential for a midrise condo a la Portland Place. I think a lot of TN's land will be vacant for years as lofty plans like Meow Wolf fall apart, when most could be built/filled with residents to support local biz quickly.

TN changing course from ideas like Atari / Meow Wolf - fit for RR - to student housing (could be built anywhere), is worrisome. I don't see why smaller projects, like wrapping the garage on 1st St./Roosevelt with micro-apartments, haven't taken off meanwhile? That's a project I'd hate to see get lost in all of this, since that garage is a major detriment to RR, and another developer could either 1. have a better, more immediate plan, OR 2. do absolutely nothing with it for eternity.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest