HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest

Old Posted Dec 3, 2015, 1:17 AM

He sort of writes as I did in freshmen English class on high school.

"Phoenix is a city. Cities have people who have jobs. If you get a job you can live in a city."

Old Posted Dec 3, 2015, 3:15 PM
BANNED

City-owned Sheraton hotel prepared for sale with unanimous City Council vote

http://downtowndevil.com/2015/12/03/...31f2-355686605

Old Posted Dec 3, 2015, 10:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by airomero83 View Post
I think Jjs might've mentioned this earlier but nice to see Renaissance Hotel getting some improvements

The renderings look awesome...

http://www.bizjournals.com/phoenix/b...otel-will.html
Haha, thank you for reading part of one of my posts.

This is awesome. With the great things going on along Monroe, the Adams + Monroe between 2nd Street and 1st Ave is going to be really neat. I hope this sparks at least some work on the Hyatt and kicks the City into being more aggressive about the empty retail in the garage and empty parcel next to Hanny's. This hotel across from a retail arcade of local tenants at the Renaissance would have (and could be maybe one day) been awesome:

I just feel like perhaps Phase I should have been coordinated in a way that upgrades were spread throughout the activation area? But, with the right mix and design, I am sure people will make the walk past the lame Hyatt block to get there. I hope it's a mix of more than just restaurants... and that the restaurants they choose are somewhat similar to the new terminal at SkyHarbor... like a sampling of all the great restaurants in Phoenix. A new LGO concept would also be great, since they had to pull out of CityScape.

And, remember that a Union-like marketplace is coming to the US Bank Center on Adams/1st Ave. This rendering looks fantastic: http://x.lnimg.com/attachments/D3870...03A824D808.pdf

Old Posted Dec 3, 2015, 10:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtnphx View Post
Coffee shop jumps into Central Avenue competition at Lennar development

http://www.bizjournals.com/phoenix/n...8&t=1448921730

Not sure how The Muse is going to turn out, but Press Coffee is quite a coup for the development. I'm thinking they want to be part of a cool and/or significant development. Let's hope there were refinements made to the preliminary design that was presented a year ago.
No refinements, unfortunately. I was being obnoxious about another coffee shop opening, but really, it's just the fact that there is so little retail in the plan that disappoints me in part of it going to Press. If there was space for a restaurant that would attract Museum visitors or something, too, that'd be cool. But, a coffee shop and relocated salon are a little blah when you have only 2 retail spaces across from the PAM and LRT station.

But, I also agree with exit2lef that it's great to see the spaces pre-leased. That seems to be happening a bit more recently, and it seems like new retail is popping up all the time, so I think our favorite "languishing" projects really are due to non-market factors (like the transformers and lack of kitchen space at Tapestry).

Old Posted Dec 4, 2015, 7:29 PM

Condos Planned For 12th St. & Washington

Old Posted Dec 4, 2015, 8:17 PM
Skyriser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jjs5056 View Post
No refinements, unfortunately. I was being obnoxious about another coffee shop opening, but really, it's just the fact that there is so little retail in the plan that disappoints me in part of it going to Press. If there was space for a restaurant that would attract Museum visitors or something, too, that'd be cool. But, a coffee shop and relocated salon are a little blah when you have only 2 retail spaces across from the PAM and LRT station.

But, I also agree with exit2lef that it's great to see the spaces pre-leased. That seems to be happening a bit more recently, and it seems like new retail is popping up all the time, so I think our favorite "languishing" projects really are due to non-market factors (like the transformers and lack of kitchen space at Tapestry).
What else should go there? A coffee shop is a great pedestrian amenity for a corner that has an LRT station across the street, ultimately hundreds and hundreds of residents on top of it, and a number of offices including one of Arizona's largest office buildings, Viad Tower. With the CVS kitty-corner, you now have a really great place to live altho it doesn't really seem like it.

I could see Tapestry turning into an interesting row of boutiques once Deco's other project is up nearby and some of the thousands of units get built in Midtown.

Old Posted Dec 4, 2015, 8:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASUSunDevil View Post
Quote:
Planned resident parking on the 1.17-acre site features an automated vehicle storage and retrieval system. Drivers drop off and exit their vehicles at the entry space and an automatic, sensor-based system moves and parks them.

When needed, the system retrieves the vehicle and delivers it to the exit area. It is estimated the system can accommodate between 30-50 percent more vehicles and require up to 40 percent less land than a conventional parking structure.
Sounds pretty neat.

Old Posted Dec 4, 2015, 8:47 PM
Skyriser

Washington Enclave's zoning app is here:

https://www.phoenix.gov/pddsite/Documents/Z-11-15n.pdf

Old Posted Dec 4, 2015, 8:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by muertecaza View Post
Sounds pretty neat.
I love that this is 8-stories. Things are really looking up for Eastlake Park. I could see it becoming a great affordable area for younger professionals and college students who can't afford downtown or midtown living. Usually in a new area like that we'd see 3-4 story developments to start, but with Capitol place and this project that area is bringing some impressive density right off the bat!

Old Posted Dec 4, 2015, 8:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHXFlyer11 View Post
I love that this is 8-stories. Things are really looking up for Eastlake Park. I could see it becoming a great affordable area for younger professionals and college students who can't afford downtown or midtown living. Usually in a new area like that we'd see 3-4 story developments to start, but with Capitol place and this project that area is bringing some impressive density right off the bat!
Just think if that rail yard to the south gets redeveloped it could become a huge and awesome neighborhood in the central city!

Old Posted Dec 4, 2015, 8:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHXFlyer11 View Post
Unfortunately it's not that affordable. A two bedroom unit at Capital Place is over $2000

Old Posted Dec 4, 2015, 10:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggus diggus View Post
Unfortunately it's not that affordable. A two bedroom unit at Capital Place is over $2000
I'm sure not yet, but if there is a huge influx of new units the prices will fall.

Old Posted Dec 5, 2015, 3:41 AM

Yes, they will, but it will be a year or two before the market resets.

Old Posted Dec 5, 2015, 5:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggus diggus View Post
Yes, they will, but it will be a year or two before the market resets.
And I think there's still a pretty significant demand. That $2,000 rent may only go down to like $1,800 or so.

When I moved to Phoenix in 2010 I had an approximately 1,000 sq. ft. 1 bedroom loft unit at Roosevelt Square and paid about $1,150/month. What does that go for now?

Old Posted Dec 5, 2015, 5:58 AM
Skyriser

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickw252 View Post
And I think there's still a pretty significant demand. That $2,000 rent may only go down to like $1,800 or so.
I was seeing $2300 for a 2 bedroom in one of those condos on 94th St very close to Chandler Fashion Center. Wouldn't surprise me that a brand new, structure-parked apartment complex at downtown land prices would charge something similar.

For what that's worth, you'd have to have a combined income of $92k at least to rent there, which isn't completely unheard of for Phoenix.

I bet they'll offer smoking deals to get people in Capital Place and everything else then jack up their rents next year once there's a buzz.

Maybe Eastlake will develop a bit of an international flair for being so close to the airport on lightrail. One can dream...

Quote:
When I moved to Phoenix in 2010 I had an approximately 1,000 sq. ft. 1 bedroom loft unit at Roosevelt Square and paid about $1,150/month. What does that go for now?
Apparently a bit less, according to rent.com.

http://www.rent.com/arizona/phoenix-...ments-4-390259

Old Posted Dec 5, 2015, 6:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by combusean View Post
What else should go there? A coffee shop is a great pedestrian amenity for a corner that has an LRT station across the street, ultimately hundreds and hundreds of residents on top of it, and a number of offices including one of Arizona's largest office buildings, Viad Tower. With the CVS kitty-corner, you now have a really great place to live altho it doesn't really seem like it.

I could see Tapestry turning into an interesting row of boutiques once Deco's other project is up nearby and some of the thousands of units get built in Midtown.
No, you're right. There really is nothing wrong with Press. I just think the project overall is underwhelming, so I had hoped the retail would be something a bit different. Seeing as so many of these Midtown apts are being built without any retail at all, I'm glad these residents can at least get their hair done and caffeine fix without driving, lol. But, since they extended the Arts District to the Viad Tower, I guess I was hoping for a) something that stayed open late, and b) had some sort of appeal to the arts, esp with its neighbors.

I actually think a big box store would've been cool. I really think Midtown is a great place for that kind of shopping since the lots are so large and the design issues (like parking and loading docks) won't matter much since Central is really the only urban street. I would much rather see big boxes there with all the new residential, and more boutique stuff downtown.

I hope you're right about Tapestry. I'm not sure about boutiques since it seems like downtown can't attract ANY clothing retailers... but, maybe with the area being more condo/upscale, it could work. Something with a theme like that ('the tapestry boutiques' or what not), though, or a couple of large businesses would seem to be the best way of mitigating the visibility issues. I always wondered about the One Lex retail that is mainly empty (except the yoga shop which the building pays for)... when it was first bought, there were 'several tenants signed' and yet, nada...

Old Posted Dec 6, 2015, 12:08 AM
Skyriser

Going to make the call for a big project upcoming on 32 E Columbus in the Fall of 2016.

I asked CoP what's with the huge chunk of dirt directly east of the huge chunk of dirt that Midfirst Bank sold to that family trust.

They told me that they would be issuing an RFP for it in Fall 2016--after receiving approval to dispose of it in 2013. Clearly, they've been sitting on it for a while, and as I know Phoenix, the developer comes before the RFP in a chicken before the egg scenario.

There's a good chance that when there's a big enough chunk of dirt next to another chunk of dirt with CoP involvement, there's gonna be something big. Moreover, there's a precise one-year turnaround for design since the MidFirst sale and the issuance of the RFP.

Here's the initial Request for Council Action, but I don't think this will approach the final project.

http://emvis.net/~sean/ssp/projects/32_columbus/RCA.pdf

Anyone else know what's up with this lot?

Last edited by combusean; Dec 6, 2015 at 3:13 AM.

Old Posted Dec 6, 2015, 2:08 AM

Makes me sick to my stomach, I was negotiating to buy the building adjacent (mentioned it a few posts back) and got scared. All of this happening in the area now is making me really rethink my decision making skills.

Old Posted Dec 6, 2015, 2:41 AM
Skyriser

This is pure speculation like a house of cards on a caisson foundation, btw.

Old Posted Dec 6, 2015, 2:43 AM

I know, but remove that speculation and you still have a few dozen other things going on in the neighborhood.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest