HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest

Old Posted Aug 13, 2022, 10:23 PM

Pretty exciting times for Downtown Phoenix Development. Quite a few projects going up and quite a few going up soon. It has been amazing seeing the gap between Roosevelt and the Downtown Phoenix core become smaller and smaller. The 601 N Central Ave project should help bridge the gap significantly.

Old Posted Aug 14, 2022, 1:30 PM
Skyriser

The Del Rio redevelopment of that massive former landfill on 12th and Elwood is on track and could be breaking ground soon. The predevelopment site work has been largely completed.

https://www.phoenix.gov/econdev/delrio

Latest presentation w/ updated siteplan:

https://www.phoenix.gov/econdevsite/...g%206.7.22.pdf

Old Posted Aug 25, 2022, 11:42 PM

Looks like the Home2Suites hotel under construction on 2nd St and Jackson caught fire. Some construction materials up on the roof

https://www.12news.com/article/news/...2-78506e89294c

Old Posted Aug 26, 2022, 2:08 AM
Modulator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASU Diablo View Post
Looks like the Home2Suites hotel under construction on 2nd St and Jackson caught fire. Some construction materials up on the roof

https://www.12news.com/article/news/...2-78506e89294c
Fortunately, the framing is all galvanized steel. So not that much damage occurred. For a cheaper hotel brand, I'm fairly excited to see this get completed.

Old Posted Aug 26, 2022, 3:16 PM

Confirmed. Tower crane for X Phoenix II is going up this weekend.

Old Posted Aug 26, 2022, 3:50 PM
Modulator

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyAZ View Post
I believe this crane will have to be built to full height considering how close it is to phase 1. Can you confirm?

P.S. I still want your sources!

Old Posted Aug 26, 2022, 4:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrestedSaguaro View Post
I believe this crane will have to be built to full height considering how close it is to phase 1. Can you confirm?

P.S. I still want your sources!
It will not be full height, but obviously tall enough to clear the first phase, and they will raise it when they get closer to the final 5 floors.

Old Posted Aug 26, 2022, 4:42 PM
Modulator

Quote:
It will not be full height, but obviously tall enough to clear the first phase, and they will raise it when they get closer to the final 5 floors.
Yea, I had a brain freeze on that. I forgot this tower is going to be 320'. But we can expect the tower crane to initially be at about 275' I would guess. That would make a nice pop for our tower crane count. Sure hope CS's cranes go up before any of the other's come down.

Old Posted Aug 26, 2022, 4:49 PM

Didn't realize this opened:https://altawarehousedistrict.com/

Wood Partners announced the grand opening of its latest multifamily community: Alta Warehouse District at 402 W. Lincoln Street in downtown Phoenix. Alta Warehouse District offers 300 apartment homes comprised of studio, one-, two- and three-bedroom floorplans.

ocated at 402 W Lincoln Street in the historic Warehouse District of Downtown Phoenix, Alta Warehouse District is the third Wood Partners project to open in Downtown Phoenix. The community offers the perfect living space for professionals and students with its edgy, industrial-inspired look and feel. Alta Warehouse District was designed by CCBG Architects, a longtime business owner in the Warehouse District. Residents have access to a wide variety of local dining, shopping, and entertainment options within walking distance of the community, such as the world-renowned Pizzeria Bianco, Cobra Arcade Bar, and the Orpheum Theatre. Major attractions include Chase Field, Footprint Center, Symphony Hall, Arizona Federal Theater, and several other popular venues for residents to enjoy sporting events, concerts and more. Arizona State University Downtown Campus and other postsecondary educational institutions are also nearby.

"We are pleased to be one of the first communities to open in the Warehouse District with the unveiling of Alta Warehouse District," said Clay Richardson, Managing Director for Wood Partners. "This modern, industrial-inspired community will serve as the perfect location for professionals looking to put down roots in the neighborhood and explore all that downtown Phoenix has to offer."

Alta Warehouse District offers 300 apartment homes comprised of studio, one-, two- and three-bedroom floorplans with many homes offering sweeping, unobstructed views of the Downtown Phoenix skyline. Each apartment home features top-of-the-line interior finishes including stainless steel appliances, quartz countertops, tile backsplashes, and plank vinyl flooring. For added convenience, the homes also offer smart thermostats and electronic door entry and select units come with integrated audio packages.

Throughout the community, residents can take advantage of an abundance of thoughtful amenities, including an oversized lounge pool, an on-site dog park and bike shop, and a rooftop deck with grilling stations and views of downtown. Inside the clubhouse, residents can enjoy the community's exclusive speakeasy and cocktail lounge, as well as a professional fitness center and yoga studio. Additional amenities include a club room with a 12-foot TV wall, games and a photobooth, music and podcasting room, conference spaces and private micro-offices, and a complimentary coffee bar and cybercafé. An onsite convenience market offers residents grab-and-go snacks, cold market options, a variety of alcoholic drinks, and sundries at their convenience.

Alta Warehouse District is now leasing and managed by Wood Residential. For more information, visit altawarehousedistrict.com.

Old Posted Aug 27, 2022, 6:12 PM
Modulator

Quote:
Delayed? I don't see any action happening on the camera.

Old Posted Aug 27, 2022, 6:28 PM

Quote:
Delayed? I don't see any action happening on the camera.
I heard Sunday and Monday, I think they were moving everything out of the way today to make space, but we will see.

Old Posted Aug 28, 2022, 2:31 PM

Updated Pictures!

Took a nice long walk yesterday! Here are some updated pics! I might try to swing by Central Station today (forgot to snag a pic)

https://imgur.com/gallery/3i2EDkg

Old Posted Aug 29, 2022, 9:27 PM
Modulator

901 N. Central Ave

Bam!!

340' foot (320' roof) proposal at 901 N. Central at the old automotive repair shop on the lot south of Tru Ultra Lounge. The lot has a 250' limit, so a major height variance is going to be required if this moves forward.

I firmly believe now that with 4 projects requesting height increases in the past 2 years, Phoenix needs to take a strong look at revamping the height code....especially in the Churchill-Evans area.

Site plan includes spaces for a indoor bar with outdoor seating and a market which will be keeping/integrating much the old automotive repair building!

Old Posted Aug 29, 2022, 9:36 PM

Quote:
Bam!!

340' foot (320' roof) proposal at 901 N. Central at the old automotive repair shop on the lot south of Tru Ultra Lounge. The lot has a 250' limit, so a major height variance is going to be required if this moves forward.

I firmly believe now that with 4 projects requesting height increases in the past 2 years, Phoenix needs to take a strong look at revamping the height code....especially in the Churchill-Evans area.

Site plan includes spaces for a indoor bar with outdoor seating and a market which will be keeping/integrating much the old automotive repair building!
Wow this is pretty amazing! Love the height, of course, and that it keeps most of the existing building.

And agreed, Phoenix definitely needs to revisit the height code...especially up and down Central Ave.

Old Posted Aug 30, 2022, 1:35 PM

no doubt about it - all the activity going on in residential hi-rises is great...and this kind of stuff is needed for the better stuff down the road...but damn these all just look like cheap salt boxes to me. hard to get excited about them from any architectural sense. but yay density.

Old Posted Aug 30, 2022, 4:04 PM

Boxes

Quote:
Originally Posted by somethingfast View Post
no doubt about it - all the activity going on in residential hi-rises is great...and this kind of stuff is needed for the better stuff down the road...but damn these all just look like cheap salt boxes to me. hard to get excited about them from any architectural sense. but yay density.
Agree, Starting to look like the build up of many areas of Vancouver, B.C. when half of Hong Kong became Canadian Citizens with their million dollar equity making them invited refugees starting in 1999. Just box looking structures,(condo's and apartments), thrown up on the quick to handle the mass influx. In Phoenix's case, (I would imagine in part because of the 10 year ambulance chaser clause on condo defect construction), mostly all apartments.

Old Posted Aug 30, 2022, 4:49 PM

People are not going to build expensive condo buildings or premium office towers in undesirable areas.

We need these population ballooning buildings now so that in the future downtown has the kind of pull that a developer thinks they could sell 500k condos downtown or that a company will pay expensive downtown lease prices for downtown space.

1st comes the weirdos and arts freaks followed buy restaurants and nightlife, followed by apartments followed by offices and maybe condos some day depending on how desirable various streets are.

Old Posted Aug 30, 2022, 5:22 PM
Modulator

Developers are not going to build some great ground-breaking designed mid-priced apartment towers. Developers are going to squeeze every inch of livable space in order to make a decent profit selling the building and the most efficient tower design for that is a box. Not round, oval, triangular, tapered, spired or any other design that doesn't maximize cheap livable space that could cause the project not to pencil out.

Fancier will come when we transition to high-end condo's or high-profile office space where perspective tenants WANT a nicer looking tower to live in or lease commercially. I'm fairly sure this is not far behind at the current build pace that Phoenix is going through (dare I say the beginnings of Manhattanization?).

I feel Astra is the one that could be the game-changer. I think Astra will usher in the next phase of pristine glass towers bordering 500+...whenever Empire decides to move on it.

Old Posted Aug 30, 2022, 6:22 PM
Skyriser

This is literally a wireframe diagram w/ no indication of materials or amenities or anything.

Even if some bad design were to be inferred, apartment towers aren't supposed to be monstrously expensive either.

And no infusion of five- or six-star condos is going to improve downtown in any appreciable way besides *maybe* some skyline pr0n. NYC is seeing plenty of luxury eyesores going up for example.

Old Posted Aug 31, 2022, 6:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by combusean View Post
This is literally a wireframe diagram w/ no indication of materials or amenities or anything.

Even if some bad design were to be inferred, apartment towers aren't supposed to be monstrously expensive either.

And no infusion of five- or six-star condos is going to improve downtown in any appreciable way besides *maybe* some skyline pr0n. NYC is seeing plenty of luxury eyesores going up for example.
I am surprised by the lack of condos. I'm sure the financing is trickier because there is no opportunity to flip from Dev to Investor to REIT. But also it seems like the Dev can float the project based on pre-completion sales? Portland Place seems really successful so I thought we'd see more of that.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest