HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Aug 3, 2022, 7:33 PM
-

For me personally I don’t rely on google maps to point at addresses correctly … often misses . Best to confirm with visible numbers on building or assessors sites

Old Posted Aug 6, 2022, 2:34 PM

1400 Baronne St

Does anyone have any info on the housing development going on in Central City-Baronne/Carondelet. Not the mixed-income/affordable housing apartment development; but rather, the single houses.

This is all I have found: chrome-extension://efaidnbmnnnibpcajpcglclefindmkaj/https://cityofno.granicus.com/MetaViewer.php?view_id=42&clip_id=3737&meta_id=512615

Not sure if there is more. Looking for renderings!

Old Posted Aug 6, 2022, 4:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by socigradstudent View Post
Does anyone have any info on the housing development going on in Central City-Baronne/Carondelet. Not the mixed-income/affordable housing apartment development; but rather, the single houses.

This is all I have found: chrome-extension://efaidnbmnnnibpcajpcglclefindmkaj/https://cityofno.granicus.com/MetaViewer.php?view_id=42&clip_id=3737&meta_id=512615

Not sure if there is more. Looking for renderings!
The single family houses are being developed by Heirloom. The entire development will be short term rentals.

Old Posted Aug 6, 2022, 5:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckett5425 View Post
The single family houses are being developed by Heirloom. The entire development will be short term rentals.
wow. that is so disappointing.

Old Posted Aug 7, 2022, 3:07 AM
NOLA Razorback

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckett5425 View Post
Wow that's depressing as fuck. I thought they were originally going to be "affordable" starter homes. More Disneyland fake hotel bs pricing locals out.

Old Posted Aug 8, 2022, 3:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjslonaker View Post
Wow that's depressing as fuck. I thought they were originally going to be "affordable" starter homes. More Disneyland fake hotel bs pricing locals out.
The city dragged its feet on what the original development group was asking for so they sold. The whole site is not all heirloom, although they hold a decent chunk. Most will likely be STRs but i dont think every home will be.

Old Posted Aug 10, 2022, 6:57 PM

Some good news for the NO-BR train line: the state secured $20 million in grant funding for land acquisition and station construction in Gonzales and Baton Rouge. Still a big chunk of funding and approvals left to be done once the dust settles on Canadian Pacific's takeover of KC Southern, but it seems like most of the other pieces are falling into place.

https://www.bizneworleans.com/louisi...assenger-rail/

Old Posted Aug 11, 2022, 2:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by broadmoor View Post
Some good news for the NO-BR train line: the state secured $20 million in grant funding for land acquisition and station construction in Gonzales and Baton Rouge. Still a big chunk of funding and approvals left to be done once the dust settles on Canadian Pacific's takeover of KC Southern, but it seems like most of the other pieces are falling into place.

Great news because this is needed. I know people that would use this on a daily. They either work in either city or work remote but want to have the ability to use the other city's coworking spaces, as a change of scenery. The Philly to NYC train is a great example.

Also, for sporting events, whether it's for the pro sports in NOLA or LSU games. Either way it'll be used a lot for that so that people don't have to worry about parking.

Last edited by kingque; Aug 11, 2022 at 7:19 PM.

Old Posted Aug 11, 2022, 5:37 PM

Don’t forget when Jindal turned down $400M to make that BR - NOLA train happen because he thought he could be President one day.

The story of Louisiana being 48th in the nation in almost everything is filled with self-inflicted wounds.

https://www.nola.com/news/communitie...179f3.amp.html

Old Posted Aug 11, 2022, 5:37 PM
TL;DR

Quote:
Originally Posted by broadmoor View Post

CP has already agreed to (I think) 2 daily round trips as a condition of the merger. Any more than that, and you have to put in big upgrades to the infrastructure - passing sidings, replacing the bridge over the spillway, etc.

The New Orleans terminal area is very congested when it comes to railroads, too and it's worse since they ripped out the tracks that used to run along Airline. All trains on every railroad go through a chokepoint around Cleary Ave. Unfortunately I predict when they get the passenger service up and running that there will be big issues with delays.

Old Posted Aug 11, 2022, 7:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FenderOz View Post
Don’t forget when Jindal turned down $400M to make that BR - NOLA train happen because he thought he could be President one day.

The story of Louisiana being 48th in the nation in almost everything is filled with self-inflicted wounds.

Self-inflicted wounds? It's the Lousiana way.

Old Posted Aug 12, 2022, 1:38 PM
TL;DR

Quote:

This is just factually incorrect. It was a competitive grant with only $8B to cover the whole country, and money was never awarded to Louisiana... Jindal just pulled the application. Even if he had gone ahead with it, there was no guarantee of getting the money over other states with more established rail service or higher populations.

People confuse this with what Scott Walker did in Wisconsin, or John Kasich did in Ohio - they actually were awarded money for rail service, and then turned it down/sent it back. In Illinois we were awarded money for two new rail services, and Bruce Rauner decided to run out the clock rather than officially send the money back. There still is no timeline for getting those new services up and running.

In Louisiana, I'm hopeful that the delay may have been a good thing if it allowed rail supporters to build more support from cities and towns along the route. This thing only works if the stations are surrounded by development, shops and restaurants, etc and not giant parking lots or scruffy industrial areas. That requires local planning, city support for rezoning, new bike/pedestrian/bus connections, etc. I don't think anybody was remotely ready for it back in 2009.

Last edited by ardecila; Aug 12, 2022 at 1:49 PM.

Old Posted Aug 12, 2022, 3:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post
This is just factually incorrect. It was a competitive grant with only $8B to cover the whole country, and money was never awarded to Louisiana... Jindal just pulled the application. Even if he had gone ahead with it, there was no guarantee of getting the money over other states with more established rail service or higher populations.

People confuse this with what Scott Walker did in Wisconsin, or John Kasich did in Ohio - they actually were awarded money for rail service, and then turned it down/sent it back. In Illinois we were awarded money for two new rail services, and Bruce Rauner decided to run out the clock rather than officially send the money back. There still is no timeline for getting those new services up and running.

In Louisiana, I'm hopeful that the delay may have been a good thing if it allowed rail supporters to build more support from cities and towns along the route. This thing only works if the stations are surrounded by development, shops and restaurants, etc and not giant parking lots or scruffy industrial areas. That requires local planning, city support for rezoning, new bike/pedestrian/bus connections, etc. I don't think anybody was remotely ready for it back in 2009.
Now that you say this, it is good that it didn't happen in 09. New Orleans area was still Katrinaville. Rail support is in a much better spot now.

Old Posted Aug 12, 2022, 4:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post

I appreciate the clarification, so it would be more accurate to say that Jindal turned down the chance to get $400M in stimulus money for the project?

The article from Times Picayune certainly paints it as a giant missed opportunity. And While I appreciate the sense that we needed time for our urban planning to “catch up” to make rail more viable… that could have happened — and even been accelerated—with a successful grant like the one Jindal decided to not even try to get.

What are the odds we see a future federal funding opportunity like this one to get the BR-NO railway off the ground. Seems like it will need a real big up front investment to do it right. If we try to build a smaller scale version with more delays and less service, it won’t catch on. We need a fast, reliable connection for people to change their habits.

Still feels like a missed opportunity to make something big happen rather than a blessing in disguise

Old Posted Aug 12, 2022, 7:43 PM
TL;DR

Quote:
What are the odds we see a future federal funding opportunity like this one to get the BR-NO railway off the ground. Seems like it will need a real big up front investment to do it right. If we try to build a smaller scale version with more delays and less service, it won’t catch on. We need a fast, reliable connection for people to change their habits.

Still feels like a missed opportunity to make something big happen rather than a blessing in disguise
Even 2 RTs a day gets the foot in the door for something more. You can demonstrate a demand for the service. The Illinois Zephyr/Carl Sandburg here in IL has 2 round trips and got 200,000 annual riders before Covid. And with 2 RTs you still need to build all the station platforms and some kind of layover building in Baton Rouge, so there is tangible infrastructure to build off. CPKC agreeing to 2 RTs on their tracks is huge too - there was not an agreement with KCS back in 2009 that I'm aware of, they were officially opposed.

That said, we're only seeing the tip of the iceberg for the Biden infrastructure money. There will definitely be more opportunities to seek major grants. The Obama bill in 2009 only had $8 billion for rail; the Biden bill has $66 billion. A lot of that will go to California's project and the Northeast Corridor but that still leaves many billions for the rest of the country.

I'm worried about the Spillway bridge though, if that bridge goes down in a hurricane or river flood then it could cause a permanent suspension of passenger service like what happened on Sunset Limited east of NOLA. It needs to be rebuilt ASAP.

Last edited by ardecila; Aug 12, 2022 at 7:54 PM.

Old Posted Aug 14, 2022, 6:53 PM

A few points and observations to add to the rail discussion:
  • My understanding is that CPKC agreed to 1 NOL-BTR roundtrip without any improvements, so any more will need a larger investment
  • The governor is looking at this project as mitigation for I-10 construction near BTR, so we could see a more frequent commuter service connecting the BTR suburbs even sooner than BTR-NOL
  • With the feds having put money up for station construction and the state having put up a $20 million downpayment, I'd be shocked if NOL-BTR isn't in the first round of larger grants and the spillway bridge replacement is sure to be one of the first things on the list. East Bridge Junction is another chokepoint and there have been discussions about either a flyover or simply extra track and switches, so I think that will depend on the amount of funding secured.
  • I'm not sure if the roundtrip that CPKC agreed might also cover all the way to Shreveport, but that is also something that is being worked on. I recently saw a Southern Rail Commissioner mention that NOL to Dallas/Ft. Worth is also being considered as part of the I-20 Corridor. All of that will help ridership especially if the BTR-NOL ends up being low frequency to start.
  • To me the big question is the airport station. I know they applied for a grant to build an express roadway with the potential for an added rail connector, but there needs to be a plan in place should rail service start before that can be built.

All in all, an exciting time for rail in the area. Let's hope the STB is favorable in the Amtrak NOL-Mobile case. If Amtrak can get more favorable treatment from the host RRs, that opens up potential for service all the way to Florida and even making the Sunset Limited daily. I've always thought that the SAT-HOU-NOL corridor has some of the best expansion potential for rail, given the number and spacing of cities along the route.

By the way, I know there was some funding awarded to improve the UPT, including elevating some platforms. Has anyone seen or heard anything about that?

Old Posted Aug 15, 2022, 2:58 AM
TL;DR

East Bridge Junction is the big chokepoint, yeah.

If they do a flyover, they can't get the gentle grades they need for heavy freight trains due to the existing Earhart Expwy and Causeway Blvd overpasses, so it would have to be steeper and passenger-only. More likely is a "flat" solution using switches and diamonds that allows both freight and passenger trains to move faster thru the junction.

CPKC agreeing to even 1 daily RT is a big deal as it establishes a working relationship between Amtrak, DOTD and CPKC, and sets the terms of debate for additional service to be added in the future. Foot in the door effect. Funding will continue to be an issue as Louisiana is not a wealthy state, of course...

I have no idea what's going on with UPT. I feel like the best scenario is a public-private partnership where the city allows a private development on the parking lot in exchange for renovations to the station. A private developer will likely get the most bang for their buck in terms of station renovations. It's honestly a pretty stylish building to begin with, it just needs some polishing and better amenities for travelers.

Old Posted Aug 15, 2022, 4:43 PM
-

351 Calliope St·New Construction · Ref Code:8R6P2D
View Download (1) Print Summary Submit Add to Watch List
Type:
New Construction
Applicant:
Campo Architects
Application Submitted
Date Filed:
8/4/2022
Closed:
No
Description:
New Construction of 6 story hotel with meeting rooms and additional 1st floor tenant commercial space

Old Posted Aug 15, 2022, 4:48 PM
-

833 Baronne St (Ref. Code: GU1LPG)
CBD HDLC Architectural Review Committee
Description
Renovate existing three story, mixed-use building and construct one-story garage at rear.

1040 St Charles Ave (Ref. Code: MQA2FK)
Description
Renovation of Contributing rated, 7-story, commercial building.

1040 St Charles Ave (Ref. Code: 255GP1)
Description
Construction of new carports and renovation of parking/landscaping

2323 Iberville St (Ref. Code: G26A7X)
Renovation (Non-Structural) Permit
Description
Remodel - from empty building to office space - including HVAC, cabinets, bathroom, interior floor and walls, add windows and water heater.

djsnola
6363 Loyola Ave (Ref. Code: 21F00R)
Description
Renovation of Loyola's Miller Hall to upgrade the lobby finishes, upgrade an ADA restroom and rework paving in adjacent outdoor plaza.

2637 Banks St (Ref. Code: 4GVNTK)
Description
Change of use from a vacant space to a Nail Salon

djsnola
1811 Rousseau St (Ref. Code: 8W4BFT)
Description
This permit is to expand the existing Anytime Fitness at 1811 Rousseau St. into the adjacent retail space which has recently become vacant. New gym space will add 1,521 sf which will include open exercise area, Shower Room, additional office and storage room. The two spaces will be connected by creating two separate openings in the retail demising wall.

601 S Norman C Francis Prkwy (Ref. Code: EAXSL0)
New Construction Permit
Description
New construction of a 2 story building for a YWCA Facility per plans.
Permit Issued

3918 Baronne St (Ref. Code: 271BA0)
HDLC Certificate of Appropriateness
Description
SCOPE OF WORK INCLUDES A DESIGN OF A NEW ICE CREAM STORE IN A WHITE BOX COMMERCIAL SPACE. NEW WORK INCLUDES, BUT ISNT LIMITED TO THE FOLLOWING: INTERIOR FRAMING, FINISHES, MILLWORK, & REVISIONS TO THE EXISTING MECHANICAL, ELECTRICAL, AND PLUMBING AS REQUIRED FOR THE NEW BUILD OUT. CHANGES TO THE SPRINKLER SYSTEM TO BE SUBMITTED BY OTHERS.

INTERIOR WORK ONLY. NO EXTERIOR WORK UNDER THIS PERMIT.
Issue Date: Aug 9 2022 9:26AM

717 Canal St·Renovation (Non-Structural) · Ref Code:NJZ267
View Print Summary Submit Add to Watch List
Type:
Renovation (Non-Structural)
Applicant:
John C Williams
Application Submitted
Date Filed:
8/12/2022
Closed:
No
Description:
RENOVATIONS TO AN EXISTING CB-2 HISTORIC COMMERCIAL RETAIL SPACE WITH HOTEL UNITS ABOVE. SCOPE OF WORK INCLUDESS INTERIOR DEMOLITION OF EXISTING SPACE AND SYSTEMS AND CONSTRUCTION OF NEW RESTAURANT INCLUDING SYSTEMS; INCLUDING NEW INTERIOR FINISHES, NEW NON-STRUCTURAL FRAMING, NEW FLOORING, NEW MECHANICAL, HVAC, PLUMBING AND ELECTRICAL SYSTEMS.

8 Canal St·Renovation (Structural) · Ref Code:JCAEGX
Type:
Renovation (Structural)
Applicant:
Perez, A Professional Corporation
Application Submitted
Date Filed:
8/8/2022
Closed:
No
Description:
Interior renovation of existing casino floor and high limit area.

1532 Tulane Ave·Dumpster/Construction Zone · Ref Code:K88JW0
Type:
Dumpster/Construction Zone
Applicant:
AECOM-Tishman
Application Submitted
Date Filed:
8/4/2022
Closed:
No
Description:
Closure of sidewalks located on both Tulane Avenue and Gravier Street for the width of Charity Hospital on both streets. Sidewalk closures are to create a safe construction zone and to insure public safety by directing pedestrians to safe sidewalks during the period of demolition and construction on the Charity Hospital Renovation project.

401 Poydras St, n/a·Dumpster/Construction Zone · Ref Code:3ZYWXM
Type:
Dumpster/Construction Zone
Applicant:
Abel Shields
Application Submitted
Date Filed:
8/13/2022
Closed:
No
Description:
SCULPTURE INSTALL

500 Port Of New Orleans Pl Ste 110·Renovation (Non-Structural) · Ref Code:SXQCXF
Type:
Renovation (Non-Structural)
Applicant:
Advanced Systems Inc
Application Submitted
Date Filed:
8/8/2022
Closed:
No
Description:
Tennent fit and finish, paint walls, install new light bulbs and install new sales fixtures

922 Canal St·HDLC COA · Ref Code:VR3SV1
View Download (2) Print Summary Submit Add to Watch List
Type:
HDLC COA
Applicant:
Heather Cooper
HDLC Signs and postcards
Date Filed:
8/4/2022
Closed:
No
Description:
Renovation of a three-story mixed-use building with a small rear addition not visible from the street

Old Posted Aug 15, 2022, 9:07 PM
-

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations