HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Transportation

Old Posted Jan 28, 2019, 3:13 AM
He/his/him. >~<, QED!

A TOD could also have an internal accessible entrance to the blue line station.

Old Posted Jan 28, 2019, 4:52 PM

Who wants to live next to an expressway though? Breathing all that diesel exhaust everyday is terrible for your lungs and health! You couldn't pay me to live next to an expressway.

Old Posted Jan 29, 2019, 12:43 AM
TL;DR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baronvonellis View Post
Who wants to live next to an expressway though? Breathing all that diesel exhaust everyday is terrible for your lungs and health! You couldn't pay me to live next to an expressway.
This hasn't seemed to slow the many new residential buildings along the Kennedy south of Chicago, or along the Eisenhower west of the Circle.

Old Posted Jan 29, 2019, 3:44 AM
Adoptive Chicagoan

Quote:
Originally Posted by the urban politician View Post
Yep, will be really convenient for those people at the Subway strip mall, the big box parking lot, and the gas station across the street...

We shouldn't reward areas with SHITTY urban planning brand new subway entrances...

I think you misread - he was saying an additional entrance *South* of Belmont, not North. I don't think there's room for one without taking out a house, though.
[/SIZE]

Old Posted Jan 29, 2019, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIGSEGV View Post
Snapped a quick pic of the upgraded Garfield station while waiting for the train today.

Does the CTA seek out designs that are intended to look immediately dilapidated? Yuk!!

Old Posted Jan 29, 2019, 2:47 PM
Adoptive Chicagoan

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisvfr800i View Post
Does the CTA seek out designs that are intended to look immediately dilapidated? Yuk!!
It's obviously not completely done yet, as you can tell from the plywood, which explains why there's still sand on the platform. There are water marks, and the photo's not great since it's through a window, but otherwise what are complaining about that isn't temporary?
[/SIZE]

Old Posted Jan 29, 2019, 3:28 PM
devout Pizzatarian

Quote:
Who wants to live next to an expressway though?
i don't know, maybe the tens of thousands of people already living in highrises along LSD for miles and miles?

Old Posted Jan 29, 2019, 4:14 PM

Well LSD doesn't allow trucks and 18 wheelers with heavy particulate diesel exhaust, and most of it has a green park buffer between the buildings so it's isn't quite as bad. But it's not healthy either, expressways are a big localized source of pollution in cities. I wouldn't live next to LSD either.

Old Posted Feb 7, 2019, 4:45 PM
Adoptive Chicagoan

This is about the MTA rebuilding the Astoria Line (N and W) in New York. The finished parts of stations look much more sophisticated than Chicago stations, even recently rebuilt or completely new ones do.

What is the possibility that the RPM rebuilds result in something as quality as the new Astoria stations?
Video Link
[/SIZE]

Old Posted Feb 7, 2019, 6:19 PM
Show me the blueprints

In general all of the program station renovations the MTA has underway or has recently completed look snazzy as hell. Whatever architecture firm they partnered with to create the new baseline material and application standards for the station reno's has done a very good job. The Bay Ridge line has seen several station modernizations during the same initiative as well as scattered stations in Manhattan and the Bronx. The combinations of the charcoal offset floor tile, gray and blasted concrete and canopy wood ceilings all look excellent and when paired with a plethora of electronic signage and information screens and new station entrances looks like a million bucks, or more like 15-20 million bucks

All that said, yes, I agree that some of the new Cta stations are far more cold and prison block feeling than what I would prefer. The Cta seems to be allergic to using warm materials. I don't know if this derives from the iconic 60s-70s design standardization that was unveiled on the expressway lines or what but IMO the Cta would benefit from not using as much stainless steel, galvanized and garish blue accents everywhere.

There is no goodness in him, and his power to convince people otherwise is beyond understanding

Old Posted Feb 8, 2019, 7:32 PM
TL;DR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busy Bee View Post
In general all of the program station renovations the MTA has underway or has recently completed look snazzy as hell. Whatever architecture firm they partnered with to create the new baseline material and application standards for the station reno's has done a very good job. The Bay Ridge line has seen several station modernizations during the same initiative as well as scattered stations in Manhattan and the Bronx. The combinations of the charcoal offset floor tile, gray and blasted concrete and canopy wood ceilings all look excellent and when paired with a plethora of electronic signage and information screens and new station entrances looks like a million bucks, or more like 15-20 million bucks

All that said, yes, I agree that some of the new CTA stations are far more cold and prison block feeling than what I would prefer. The Cta seems to be allergic to using warm materials. I don't know if this derives from the iconic 60s-70s design standardization that was unveiled on the expressway lines or what but IMO the Cta would benefit from not using as much stainless steel, galvanized and garish blue accents everywhere.
Honestly I don't agree. The Astoria Line stations are indeed snazzy now with a nice material palette, but will that wood soffit material still look good after 10 years? Those elevated stations are quite wind-swept. Also, glass railings and windbreaks are susceptible to scratch graffiti and vandalism, which is why CTA now puts perforated stainless steel (at great cost) over any glass elements that are within reach.

And on our end, most of our new stations are pretty good, especially when Ross Barney is involved (Morgan, Cermak, etc). Washington/Wabash is also spectacular with a design by EXP. Wilson is a bit of a disappointment but the need to rebuild the whole elevated structure and totally rebuild the old terracotta buildings put a crimp on the architecture budget for the new portions.

Lastly, I am hesitant to use NY as a model for anything transit-related, given their huge issues with cost control. I'd say both cities are doing well with transit architecture these days, neither city has a clear edge.

Last edited by ardecila; Feb 8, 2019 at 7:45 PM.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2019, 9:45 PM
Vote for me for Mayor!

It would be nice for CTA to use more quality materials but honestly, every new station has been built for durability and usability instead of aesthetics. Now if we could get rid of all the fabric seats on the cars we'd be well on our way,

Old Posted Feb 8, 2019, 11:31 PM
Plenary pleasures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by UPChicago View Post
It would be nice for CTA to use more quality materials but honestly, every new station has been built for durability and usability instead of aesthetics. Now if we could get rid of all the fabric seats on the cars we'd be well on our way,
Um, a good architect/designer can deliver a project that has durable/quality materials AND a beautiful and unique aesthetic..no mutual exclusivity there, just sayin..

Old Posted Feb 11, 2019, 1:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post
Honestly I don't agree. The Astoria Line stations are indeed snazzy now with a nice material palette, but will that wood soffit material still look good after 10 years? Those elevated stations are quite wind-swept. Also, glass railings and windbreaks are susceptible to scratch graffiti and vandalism, which is why CTA now puts perforated stainless steel (at great cost) over any glass elements that are within reach.
Given the MTA's horrendous maintenance record at its existing stations I have to echo concern about prioritizing aesthetics over durability. It could be many many years or even decades before anything is done to fix those finishes if they do not hold up to weather or abuse.

Old Posted Feb 11, 2019, 2:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sentinel View Post
Um, a good architect/designer can deliver a project that has durable/quality materials AND a beautiful and unique aesthetic..no mutual exclusivity there, just sayin..
One might argue that this is the essence of the artform actually. Being able to design something that's not just beautiful, but also functional. Some of the best materials, like concrete, are dirt cheap. The question is whether you get a Goldberg or a Sheridan Special 40 floor pillbox.

Old Posted Feb 12, 2019, 10:20 PM

Amtrak Milw Airport 2nd platform $5mil FRA grant

WiDot gets $5 mil grant. The 2nd platform is one of the requirements to increase service on the Hiawatha route. right now all Amtrak trins must use the eastern platform making a 10 mile segment 'single track'. The 2nd platform will allow 2 way directional service at the MKE airport station.

FRA Wisconsin – Milwaukee Airport Rail Station Second Platform Project

(Up to $5,050,000)

Wisconsin Department of Transportation

The proposed project will construct a second platform at the Milwaukee Airport Rail Station, as well as elevator towers and an overhead pedestrian bridge to connect the new platform to the station. The station’s existing, single platform configuration forces both eastbound and westbound Amtrak trains to use the eastern main track to serve passengers, rather than using both tracks, which results in congestion for both passenger and CP freight trains. The new platform will improve fluidity in the corridor by enabling trains to operate on both main tracks and meet in a 10.7-mile segment of track surrounding the station, which will improve schedule flexibility and reliability. The project will also improve safety and access for passengers with disabilities by eliminating the use of an emergency platform.

Updated: Friday, February 8, 2019

Old Posted Feb 13, 2019, 11:53 PM
TL;DR

^ Good news.

It's too bad that Lake Forest and Glenview are raising such a stink about the freight sidings on Illinois' side of the Hiawatha corridor, but hopefully that leads the state to push for a more expensive alternative that moves all of CP's freight trains onto UP's New Line. It would completely remove freight from Metra's territory in the MD-N corridor, onto a railroad that was purposely built by C&NW as a freight bypass of the North Shore and is now underutilized. UP is even in favor of this idea, since they would get a free second track from the state of Illinois plus trackage rights fees from CP that currently flow to Metra.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2019, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Well LSD doesn't allow trucks and 18 wheelers with heavy particulate diesel exhaust, and most of it has a green park buffer between the buildings so it's isn't quite as bad. But it's not healthy either, expressways are a big localized source of pollution in cities. I wouldn't live next to LSD either.
As a kid diesel exhaust always let me know I was in a city. I wouldn't mind it. lol

Old Posted Feb 15, 2019, 3:45 PM
Vote for me for Mayor!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sentinel View Post
Not exactly my point, most of the stations are nice aesthetically from the exterior, I meant that the interiors are not built for aesthetics. Nevertheless, you are correct both can be achieved.

Old Posted Feb 15, 2019, 4:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtown,man View Post
As a kid diesel exhaust always let me know I was in a city. I wouldn't mind it. lol
Lol, good for you. Enjoy your lung cancer, and elevated risk of other cancers I guess.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Transportation