HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos

Old Posted Feb 16, 2021, 2:19 AM

Globe, AZ and Miami, AZ

My partner and I recently got home from a road trip through Arizona this weekend---Heard Museum in Phoenix, Tucson, Saguaro National Park, Tonto National Monument... and on the way home back to LA, we stopped in Globe and Miami, AZ. I took some pictures.

Photo by me

Globe, AZ

Photo by me

Photo by me

Photo by me

Photo by me

Photo by me

Photo by me

Photo by me

Photo by me

They really like those big pickup trucks here. It's a rural area so I guess that's why.

Photo by me

Miami, AZ

Photo by me

Photo by me

Photo by me

Photo by me

Photo by me

Photo by me

Photo by me

Photo by me

Photo by me

Photo by me

Photo by me

Photo by me

Photo by me

Photo by me

Photo by me

Photo by me

Photo by me

Photo by me

Photo by me

Photo by me

Photo by me

Photo by me

Photo by me

Photo by me

Photo by me

Photo by me

Photo by me

Photo by me

Photo by me

Photo by me

Photo by me

Photo by me

Photo by me

Photo by me

Photo by me

Photo by me

Photo by me

Photo by me

Photo by me

Photo by me

Photo by me

Photo by me

Photo by me

Photo by me

Photo by me

Photo by me

~ Charles Bukowski

Old Posted Feb 16, 2021, 3:06 AM

Nice pictures! I don't ever remember seeing Globe or Miami on here before. It's nice to see eastern Arizona and temperate Arizona.

Old Posted Feb 16, 2021, 3:09 AM

Clearly you can make anyplace look enticing. But try Benson. That would be the real test: Make me actually want to visit Benson .

On the other hand, for your next visit, Bisbee is easy to love and I'd love to see what you can do with it.

Old Posted Feb 16, 2021, 4:14 AM

Bisbee is nice. Clifton too. Tons of cute little semi ghost towns out there in AZ.

Old Posted Feb 16, 2021, 7:18 AM
them bones

Wow, haven’t been to those places in forever. PLEASE tell me you took either AZ 77 or AZ 79 to get between here and Tucson and not back to I-10. Both of those drives are really interesting (but for different reasons).

Old Posted Feb 16, 2021, 6:26 PM

The Booom and Bust mining towns of Arizona.

When the copper flows so does the wealth. Several of these towns are poised for big things with demand for copper expected to explode in the coming decades and at least 2 new major mines are expected to begin processing in the next few years.

Globe, unlike Jerome & Bisbee has remained primarily a mining town instead of transitioning into a hippy tourist destination. and as a result it is at the mercy of commodity trends, you can tell driving through it that it has seen times of wealth and times of poverty.

Old Posted Feb 16, 2021, 7:53 PM

Sopas, Did you go Up to Jerome, Sedona, Prescott, Flagstaff, the rim etc?

Northern AZ is very cool!

Old Posted Feb 16, 2021, 8:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xzmattzx View Post
Nice pictures! I don't ever remember seeing Globe or Miami on here before. It's nice to see eastern Arizona and temperate Arizona.
Arizona, like most western states, has a huge variety of climates because of elevation changes. 90% of the population lives in the desert because that is where the snowmelt runs down to the ocean to create rivers and aquifers.

Old Posted Feb 17, 2021, 4:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedestrian View Post
Clearly you can make anyplace look enticing. But try Benson. That would be the real test: Make me actually want to visit Benson .

On the other hand, for your next visit, Bisbee is easy to love and I'd love to see what you can do with it.
Well, maybe we'll go to those place on our road trip to New Mexico or something.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obadno View Post
Sopas, Did you go Up to Jerome, Sedona, Prescott, Flagstaff, the rim etc?

Northern AZ is very cool!
I agree with you that northern AZ is very cool!

We've been to Sedona and Flagstaff when we visited the Grand Canyon a few times, but we've never been to Prescott or the Rim...(?). Would that be the Mogollon Rim? It's been many years since we've been to northern AZ; we were last there in about 2004 or 2005. We loved Wupatki National Monument. We're really into indigenous cultures.

Hehe we've been ordering mead online and having it delivered from a meadery in Prescott called Superstition Meadery. Their mead is pretty good, if you've ever had it. Anyway, when we were planning this road trip, I was thinking of maybe doing a detour to Prescott to stop at Superstition Meadery. But then my partner saw online that they recently opened up a branch in Phoenix. So of course our our way home, we stopped there, hoping to grab a bite and have some mead. But they didn't have any tables available, their reservations all being booked up. But we went to their mead shop and bought 4 bottles of mead.

~ Charles Bukowski

Old Posted Feb 17, 2021, 5:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by plinko View Post
Wow, haven’t been to those places in forever. PLEASE tell me you took either AZ 77 or AZ 79 to get between here and Tucson and not back to I-10. Both of those drives are really interesting (but for different reasons).
Yes, we did take AZ-77 to get up to Globe (and on to Tonto National Monument on 188). Very nice drive.

And, to get to Phoenix, we took US-60---a route a co-worker recommended when we initially were gonna do a road trip to southern New Mexico (Silver City and environs). My co-worker's husband is from Silver City, and she told me to take the 60 instead of the 10 to Silver City because the 60 is a much more interesting drive than the 10, and it only takes about 15 minutes longer to get to Silver City that way.

And indeed it is. We saw this on the 60 on our way to Phoenix from Miami, AZ:

Photo by me

Photo by me

Photo by me

... A random shrine dedicated to someone. Very moving. My knee-jerk reaction is that it's a very Catholic shrine, but I guess it's a melding of Catholicism and folk-religion/beliefs, kind of like those roadside shrines you see throughout the southwest where someone probably died from getting hit by a car or something.

As an aside, I love the Southwest. Maybe it's because I'm from southern California, but I feel I identify more with Southwestern culture than I do with anything from the Midwest or Northeast, or the South. Plus I'm really into indigenous cultures, which seem more prevalent and obvious in the American Southwest. It seems that any evidence of indigenous cultures have all been erased in the Northeast, it being dominated by European settler culture. Also, the Northeast is dominated by Yankee culture; I'm more into the cultures that existed in the areas before the Yankees and Anglo-Americans took over, like the Hispano-cultures of the Southwest and California, and the French/Cajun/Creole culture of Louisiana. I've said it before on skyscraperpage, but I pretty much feel like I've seen everything I want to see in the US... but the only city in the US I haven't seen that I still want to see, is New Orleans. I've never been to Boston, and I used to want to visit Boston, but now it's low on my list; I'm more into visiting New Orleans. And I've already seen Tucson.

And I guess I'm really into New Mexico because I get the feeling there, more so than in Arizona, that true indigenous culture is prevalent there. And, not one ethnic group is the majority there. It's kind of like Hawaii in that sense. It's an even mix of ethnicities, and everyone seems to get along just fine. Maybe that's why New Mexico, Hawaii, and California are my favorite US states. Those states are not like the rest of the US.

~ Charles Bukowski

Last edited by sopas ej; Feb 17, 2021 at 2:17 PM.

Old Posted Feb 17, 2021, 5:18 PM
them bones

New Mexico to me feels like what Arizona used to feel like to me when I was a kid in the 80s if that makes sense. Much more 'wild, wild, west'. Even Albuquerque and Santa Fe have a grittiness that seems to have been scrubbed away from cities in Arizona. I love Phoenix, but it's kind of eaten the soul of the center of the state. Prescott and Flagstaff are now over-run with high priced real estate and forgettable suburblobs. But once you get out? Amazing.

If you took 77, did you take any pictures of the mine near Kearney? They do horrible things to the environment, but they are fascinating to look at.

Old Posted Feb 17, 2021, 5:43 PM
Me?!?

Cool pics! AZ is one of my favorite states. NM is cool too but strange and I have had a lot of odd things happen to me while there...must be the alien energy

Old Posted Feb 17, 2021, 5:56 PM

Quote:
New Mexico to me feels like what Arizona used to feel like to me when I was a kid in the 80s if that makes sense. Much more 'wild, wild, west'. Even Albuquerque and Santa Fe have a grittiness that seems to have been scrubbed away from cities in Arizona. I love Phoenix, but it's kind of eaten the soul of the center of the state. Prescott and Flagstaff are now over-run with high priced real estate and forgettable suburblobs. But once you get out? Amazing.

If you took 77, did you take any pictures of the mine near Kearney? They do horrible things to the environment, but they are fascinating to look at.
I live in Verde Valley and it too is slated to be developing Phoenix style subdivisions, en masse. The City of Cottonwood has annexed land to where it's more than double the area it once was. Globe and the Cobre Valley were/are much larger in scale, afa old bones, vs Clarkdale, Jerome, and Cottonwood (Clemenceau), but obviously isn't experiencing any growth...yet. Maybe the new US 60 from Superior will change that.

Old Posted Feb 17, 2021, 6:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sopas ej View Post
Well, maybe we'll go to those place on our road trip to New Mexico or something.

I agree with you that northern AZ is very cool!

We've been to Sedona and Flagstaff when we visited the Grand Canyon a few times, but we've never been to Prescott or the Rim...(?). Would that be the Mogollon Rim? It's been many years since we've been to northern AZ; we were last there in about 2004 or 2005. We loved Wupatki National Monument. We're really into indigenous cultures.

Hehe we've been ordering mead online and having it delivered from a meadery in Prescott called Superstition Meadery. Their mead is pretty good, if you've ever had it.
Yes just keep going up the US 60 past globe past the salt river canyon then take your first left at Show Low, or go up through Payson on the 87. Although it might be a bit cold and snowy to enjoy it this time of year!

Also Superstition Meaderey just opened a Tap Room and Restaurant in an old Downtown Phoenix building and the food is great!

Pics:

Old Posted Feb 17, 2021, 7:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sopas ej View Post
I was thinking of maybe doing a detour to Prescott to stop at Superstition Meadery. But then my partner saw online that they recently opened up a branch in Phoenix. So of course our our way home, we stopped there, hoping to grab a bite and have some mead. But they didn't have any tables available, their reservations all being booked up. But we went to their mead shop and bought 4 bottles of mead.
Thanks for the AZ photo tours. I'm a little sad you didn't do a Phoenix photo tour, but based on the descriptions and info in your posts, I don't think you really spent much time in Phoenix purposefully and maybe don't have any pictures. Hopefully you enjoyed the Heard Museum and sorry you didn't get to eat at the Superstition Meadery. I've been to the Prescott location, but not the new branch in DT Phoenix yet.

I have a lot to say regarding the Phoenix area, it's built environs, and overall history in response to several posts, but it's not worth it nor the point of any of your threads, so i will refrain. I will say there is a lot of indigenous history and sites you could explore in Phoenix and the Salt River Valley. I've personally experienced some very interesting things (being an engineering inspector on the light rail when it was constructed I learned a lot about the Hohokam and other indigenous cultures... I saw actual bodies/burials unexpectedly unearthed from inches away during construction and the associated rituals after the fact. I even now live a within a couple miles of some petroglyphs well within the City limits.)

Anyway, thanks again for your photos of AZ!

Old Posted Feb 18, 2021, 12:58 AM

Nice little Miami town...you know...got a cairo illinois vibe.

Old Posted Feb 18, 2021, 4:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHX31 View Post
Thanks for the AZ photo tours. I'm a little sad you didn't do a Phoenix photo tour, but based on the descriptions and info in your posts, I don't think you really spent much time in Phoenix purposefully and maybe don't have any pictures. Hopefully you enjoyed the Heard Museum and sorry you didn't get to eat at the Superstition Meadery. I've been to the Prescott location, but not the new branch in DT Phoenix yet.

I have a lot to say regarding the Phoenix area, it's built environs, and overall history in response to several posts, but it's not worth it nor the point of any of your threads, so i will refrain. I will say there is a lot of indigenous history and sites you could explore in Phoenix and the Salt River Valley. I've personally experienced some very interesting things (being an engineering inspector on the light rail when it was constructed I learned a lot about the Hohokam and other indigenous cultures... I saw actual bodies/burials unexpectedly unearthed from inches away during construction and the associated rituals after the fact. I even now live a within a couple miles of some petroglyphs well within the City limits.)

Anyway, thanks again for your photos of AZ!
Thanks for your comments. I'm amazed that you live within a few miles of petroglyphs, that's really awesome! Maybe on our next road trip through AZ, we can check out some of those indigenous sites.

Yeah, I only took a few pictures of Phoenix. We were specifically there for the Heard Museum, which we really enjoyed. In fact, we were there longer than we thought we'd be, we were there probably for at least 2 hours. We didn't realize how extensive it is; it's a very good museum.

We ended up having lunch in Phoenix too, and on the way back to LA, we stopped in Phoenix again for a late lunch.

Since I mentioned Phoenix at the beginning of this thread, I'll post some pics.

I took a lot of pictures of the exhibits at the Heard, but I'll only post a few of them.

The Heard Museum, Phoenix

For those who don't know, The Heard Museum is a non-profit museum in Phoenix dedicated to American Indian art.

Photo by me

Photo by me

I liked this piece. I also liked the one to the right, but I didn't take a picture of it.

Photo by me

This one's pretty old...

Photo by me

Photo by me

Photo by me

Photo by me

Photo by me

Photo by me

I was thinking of using this as my facebook profile pic.

Photo by me

They had a Leon Polk Smith exhibit.

Photo by me

This was part of an extensive exhibit about "boarding schools," where in the late 1800s and well into the 1900s, indigenous American kids were taken from their families and forced into so-called boarding schools, where they were forcibly assimilated into American culture, including forced conversion into becoming Christians. It was a very moving exhibit, and frankly, it pissed me off. These kids were basically made to feel that their own indigenous culture was inferior and "savage," and they were supposed to forget their culture, including language and food. They never got to experience their own native ceremonies, like the one they have upon reaching puberty, something that was celebrated in their culture. Of course puberty was something not talked about in western culture in the late 1800s or early 1900s, it was almost something to be ashamed of.

Photo by me

Photo by me

Photo by me

Photo by me

Photo by me

Photo by me

Lunch in Phoenix

This was our first stop in Phoenix en route to Tucson.

Photo by me

Photo by me

Photo by me

We ate at Taco Chelo.

Photo by me

I didn't get tacos, though. I got a salad.

Photo by me

Photo by me

Photo by me

Lunch in Phoenix, Part 2

This was our stop in Phoenix for lunch, headed back home to LA. We ate at a place called Bliss ReBAR. We randomly chose it; we weren't aware that it's a gay bar... or do just a lot of gay people go to it?

Photo by me

I got tacos. They were pretty good.

Photo by me

Tonto National Monument

Might as well post just a few pics of Tonto National Monument. It's an amazing place... a 700 year-old cliff dwelling.

Photo by me

Photo by me

Photo by me

Photo by me

Photo by me

~ Charles Bukowski

Last edited by sopas ej; Feb 18, 2021 at 3:42 PM.

Old Posted Feb 18, 2021, 5:17 AM

Heyyy!!!!!

I like you

Also bliss is technically a gay bar but also kinda not anymore? Idk. Most of the true gay businesses left downtown for Melrose up near midtown many years ago when Roosevelt gentrified. Bliss is kind of a leftover from the earlier edgier version of downtown Phoenix

Old Posted Feb 18, 2021, 4:01 PM

Quote:

I didn't take any pictures of the mine, but I know what you mean. Hehe we were taking in the scenery of the drive but I was also kind of driving fast, because we really wanted to get to Tonto National Monument before any crowds formed. And when we got there, it wasn't crowded at all, which was nice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obadno View Post
Heyyy!!!!!

I like you

Also bliss is technically a gay bar but also kinda not anymore? Idk. Most of the true gay businesses left downtown for Melrose up near midtown many years ago when Roosevelt gentrified. Bliss is kind of a leftover from the earlier edgier version of downtown Phoenix

~ Charles Bukowski

Old Posted Feb 19, 2021, 6:12 AM
Beer Stampede

Another awesome thread!! Thanks!!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos