HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Closed Thread

Old Posted Jan 25, 2021, 4:43 PM

4 Adjacent Projects are Bringing 33 Units + Retail to Francisville

2018 view of the sites:

Current view:

Read/view more here:
http://www.rising.realestate/4-adjac...-francisville/

Old Posted Jan 25, 2021, 4:44 PM

20-Unit, Mixed-Use Building Nearing Completion on North Broad Next to Blue Horizon

Read/view more here:
http://www.rising.realestate/20-unit...-blue-horizon/

Old Posted Jan 25, 2021, 4:46 PM

Framing Work Progresses At 1539 North 26th Street In Brewerytown

Rendering:

Current progress:

Read/view more here:
https://phillyyimby.com/2021/01/fram...ladelphia.html

Old Posted Jan 25, 2021, 4:47 PM

The Poplar Nears Completion At 900 North 9th Street

Read/view more here:
https://phillyyimby.com/2021/01/the-...phia-east.html

Old Posted Jan 25, 2021, 4:49 PM

Permits Issued For 3.0 University Place

Read/view more here:
https://phillyyimby.com/2021/01/4101...ladelphia.html

Old Posted Jan 25, 2021, 4:51 PM

Permits Issued For 4328 Main Street In Manayunk

Rendering:

Rendering:

Current site:

Read/view more here:
https://phillyyimby.com/2021/01/perm...ladelphia.html

Old Posted Jan 25, 2021, 5:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by summersm343 View Post
Permits Issued For A 46-Unit Structure At 1309-25 Cambridge Street In Poplar

Rendering:
Quote:
The Poplar Nears Completion At 900 North 9th Street

I was just googling where some of these developments are and noticed that these two directly abut on opposite sides that hideous suburban-style public housing development in North Philly. Love it.

Quote:
Permits Issued For 3.0 University Place

This seems to have great street activation, but that orange accent paneling turns me off.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2021, 7:05 PM
Tony V / ValuezTV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leviathant View Post
*was* like that. All the marinas have been torn out, and I'm pretty sure the Durst Organization's going to completely reshape the waterfront immediately north of the Ben Franklin Bridge. I'm enjoying the view of the bridge from my windows while it lasts (and trying not to think about what my property taxes are going to look like one day) - in the next decade or two it's going to be absolutely littered with midrises. Thankfully, the Durst Org has been no slouch when it comes to architecture.
Yea, and even Morgans Pier wasn't even like NY's battery park, not that it should be but that is a good example to go off of to make Delaware ave and the riverfront less of a deadzone.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2021, 7:05 PM
Tony V / ValuezTV

The amount of projects flowing out of the area is beautiful I wonder how long before it trickles into Chester and Wilmington and causes the METRO TO BOOOOOM

Old Posted Jan 25, 2021, 7:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyTone View Post
The amount of projects flowing out of the area is beautiful I wonder how long before it trickles into Chester and Wilmington and causes the METRO TO BOOOOOM
Camden has come very far in the last 15 years and I think it will continue to grow as Philly gets more expensive. In my opinion, Chester will never take off. It's not close enough to Philly and has no economic opportunities. Camden has the waterfront, Cooper, Rutgers, Campbell's soup, 76ers, BB&T stadium, and a subway stop that gets you to Philly in 5 minutes (even quicker once Franklin Square reopens). It's also surrounded on all sides by pretty nice communities like Collingswood, Pennsauken and Oaklyn.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2021, 8:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince_ View Post
In my opinion, Chester will never take off. It's not close enough to Philly and has no economic opportunities. Camden has the waterfront, Cooper, Rutgers, Campbell's soup, 76ers, BB&T stadium, and a subway stop that gets you to Philly in 5 minutes (even quicker once Franklin Square reopens). It's also surrounded on all sides by pretty nice communities like Collingswood, Pennsauken and Oaklyn.
I agree about Chester. Stupid Ed Rendell insisted on building the Philadelphia Union's stadium there so that it would be an economic engine to drive Chester into prosperity. Whelp, it's been over 10 years, and there has been almost no improvement there, with the possible exception of the part-time game day jobs the stadium has brought and the construction of a new supermarket. that's it. As a huge soccer fan and Union fan in particular, I wish they would move the team to the Linc. It would make so much more sense - it's closer to most Union fans than Chester, it's familiar enough to sports fans that people already know how to get there, accessible by subway as well as multiple highways, ample parking, and then *that* stadium wouldn't sit empty 300 days a year. This would be especially important if Temple University football found greener pastures to play on, which they are investigating.
The Union would never sell the Linc out for regular season games probably, but would fill out the lower bowl I'm sure, no worse than what Temple does.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2021, 8:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thoughtcriminal View Post
I agree about Chester. Stupid Ed Rendell insisted on building the Philadelphia Union's stadium there so that it would be an economic engine to drive Chester into prosperity. Whelp, it's been over 10 years, and there has been almost no improvement there, with the possible exception of the part-time game day jobs the stadium has brought and the construction of a new supermarket. that's it. As a huge soccer fan and Union fan in particular, I wish they would move the team to the Linc. It would make so much more sense - it's closer to most Union fans than Chester, it's familiar enough to sports fans that people already know how to get there, accessible by subway as well as multiple highways, ample parking, and then *that* stadium wouldn't sit empty 300 days a year. This would be especially important if Temple University football found greener pastures to play on, which they are investigating.
The Union would never sell the Linc out for regular season games probably, but would fill out the lower bowl I'm sure, no worse than what Temple does.
Having worked at the Linc, I can tell you that the average Temple game only filled up about 9000 seats. I'm 100% sure the Union could draw a bigger crowd than that at the Linc.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2021, 8:23 PM
Tony V / ValuezTV

Quote:
Camden has come very far in the last 15 years and I think it will continue to grow as Philly gets more expensive. In my opinion, Chester will never take off. It's not close enough to Philly and has no economic opportunities. Camden has the waterfront, Cooper, Rutgers, Campbell's soup, 76ers, BB&T stadium, and a subway stop that gets you to Philly in 5 minutes (even quicker once Franklin Square reopens). It's also surrounded on all sides by pretty nice communities like Collingswood, Pennsauken and Oaklyn.
Respectfully you're tripping in my opinion Chester CAN be a black Wall Street type of an area with the correct resources.

It has I-95 running through it and multiple Septa train spots, WHEN Wilmington starts to gentrify more as well as Philly moving south Chester will ultimately start to get it as well.

They already are moving forward with the Riverfront including condos grocery stores and etc a typical start for most city riverfront

http://www.delcoriverfront.com

https://www.inquirer.com/real-estate...-20200926.html

Now mind you this won't happen in a day but as a POC my self who is in real estate and planning to invest in Chester and Wilmington in the future I assure you it will pop. God willing. and with hard work.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2021, 9:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgrath618 View Post
Having worked at the Linc, I can tell you that the average Temple game only filled up about 9000 seats. I'm 100% sure the Union could draw a bigger crowd than that at the Linc.
...and play way more games there, in a season that has very little overlap with football.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2021, 11:13 PM

Quote:
Chester has multiple train stations and is also surrounded by nice(r) communities.

It's abutted by Ridley Park, Wallingford, Swarthmore, Aston, Upper Chichester, and Trainer. With the exception of Trainer, these are all above average places to live. Certainly nicer than Pennsauken and Oaklyn.

Chester is so hollowed out at this point that it can really be reborn as anything. It's location is A+. I've always envisioned it becoming a sort of suburban corporate and logistics center. At some point, the airport will consume Tinicum (as it should) and spill over into Chester form the north.

From the south, I actually think the push will come from Delaware. Claymont is doing a lot of smart redevelopment along Rt 13. Homes are being renovated all over Claymont and the new-urbanist development that is happening there and on the old steel mill will for sure at some point spill over to the old Tri-State Mall. From there, it will leap frog into Marcus Hook and up into Chester.

Old Posted Jan 26, 2021, 12:11 PM
Philly -> Osaka -> Tokyo

Yeah, I agree that the smart money would be on a long game in Chester. Its current state is due largely due Delaware County using it as a dumping ground for their poors for many many years. (Norristown has the same problem in Montgomery County, and Coatesville out in Chester County. I'm not entirely sure where a similar concentration was/is in Bucks County anymore.) However, if you're someone who thinks the smart long play is on centralization and investment in areas that have "character" and "great bones", then downtown Chester is certainly very centralized on the NEC and has plenty of great bones to work it. Once something happens that tips the balance in the area, I'll bet that yuppies from Upper Chichester and Ridley Park and suchlike will come in and start gentrifying the old city center.

Who knows but that, on the lower levels, I speak for you?’ (Ralph Ellison, Invisible Man)

Old Posted Jan 26, 2021, 2:52 PM

going back to my post yesterday about Subaru Park (where the Union play) and Stupid Ed Rendell, stadiums themselves never ever ever are able to be the sole economic drivers their advocates say they will be. if part of a larger development, maybe. but as built, the stadium could never shoulder that load alone. when first proposed, they promised all sorts of development to go with it, and the stadium was just going to be phase 1, but as it turned out, it was all bullshit. now this current proposal is probably just as doomed. I don't see people shelling out $$$$ to live in Chester, and even less chance of people doing it near a soccer stadium. the restaurants will do ok on game days, but otherwise will suffer. same with the rest of the development.
I don't mean to be down on Chester, but it all seems that the whole thing hitches its star to the stadium's wagon, and not the city's. the city is just too depressed to come back in enough time to justify the capital outlay for these developments. I hope the city does rebound, but these things take decades.
In the meantime, move the Union to the Linc.

Old Posted Jan 26, 2021, 2:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyTone View Post
Yea, and even Morgans Pier wasn't even like NY's battery park, not that it should be but that is a good example to go off of to make Delaware ave and the riverfront less of a deadzone.
I know people have moved on to arguing about Chester, but I'm so confused by this statement.

Old Posted Jan 26, 2021, 4:10 PM

I hope you all are right about Chester. I am much more pessimistic than you guys. I think Chester will be limited by the nicer areas around it rather than revitalized. There is only so much population growth to go around, and for anyone looking for a new place, I don't really see any benefit to living in Chester compared to some of the nicer areas other than housing prices I suppose. Work in Northern Delaware/202 Corridor? Why not Wilmington, it's nicer and much more active downtown. Work near the airport? Why not just living in Philly? IDK it just seems to me that the plethora of options people have would seem to work against Chester rather than for it. It's not like our population is booming (relative to what you see in the Sunbelt at least), or that we don't have plenty of buildable lots in places that are nicer than Chester. And housing prices are already pretty low in the Philly metro compared to some other places (in large part due to rowhomes), so I'm not sure we're anywhere close to seeing people priced out of the surrounding areas and forced into Chester.

But alas, I hope you're right and it does become a nice place again.

Old Posted Jan 26, 2021, 4:40 PM
Tony V / ValuezTV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin7 View Post
I know people have moved on to arguing about Chester, but I'm so confused by this statement.
Whats confusing about it our Riverfront pier area is shit compared to NY's?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development