HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Oct 12, 2021, 3:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by C. View Post
That's old school managers. The younger managers are the ones most vocal about WFH because they're in Europe or something. Hahaha.

Some of the older managers I work with are at retirement age and have already shared with senior executives that they will retire if they're called back in.

But the 40-60 year old middle managers are the most vocal about trying to get staff back in the office along with the senior executives.

WFH has been a godsend to many households with families, especially younger kids. I can't see them voluntarily giving that up.
A lot of Zoomers hate it too. Millennials and Gen X seem to like it the most. When my company's office opened up, it was the Zoomers who raced back first (no pun). I'm in the office today, and the median age here today is probably 26.

My younger sister is recent grad/Zoomer and she hates wfh. She's in her second year of true "adult" life and has never worked in a traditional office. She's missing out on a lot of the social development that the rest of us take for granted.

Old Posted Oct 12, 2021, 3:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iheartthed View Post
A lot of Zoomers hate it too. Millennials and Gen X seem to like it the most. When my company's office opened up, it was the Zoomers who raced back first (no pun). I'm in the office today, and the median age here today is probably 26.

My younger sister is recent grad/Zoomer and she hates wfh. She's in her second year of true "adult" life and has never worked in a traditional office. She's missing out on a lot of the social development that the rest of us take for granted.
Interesting about the Zoomers. I wonder if it's location dependent? In a city like New York or D.C., Happy Hours after work are a big part of the culture. Both socially and professionally. I can see why it's important to be in the office and take part in the after work extra curricular activities. However, is that also true in other cities or in suburban office parks where everyone immediate drives home after work?

Old Posted Oct 12, 2021, 3:27 PM
devout Pizzatarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iheartthed View Post
Millennials and Gen X seem to like it the most.
those are the demos most likely to have kids at home, so that makes sense because WFH can make child logistics a million times easier.

take today for example. my son woke up with a cough, so instead of sending him to school, we had to take him to get him a covid test. he won't be allowed back into to school until the test result says negative (24-48 hours). my daughter also has a pre-scheduled doctor's check-up this afternoon at 3:30pm.

if my wife and i had 9-5 office jobs, we'd be reshuffling our entire deck on the fly, but because we're both WFH, i was like, "i got a 9:00am meeting this morning, so if you take our son to the covid test, i'll take our daughter to the doctor's appointment this afternoon, and we'll tag-team looking after our son during the day, and then we can make up any lost work time after the kids are in bed."

Last edited by Steely Dan; Oct 12, 2021 at 4:15 PM.

Old Posted Oct 12, 2021, 4:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiSoxRox View Post
I'm a native Midwesterner living clean across the continent and I'll daydream about living somewhere in Queens.
Same, except for me it's Crown Heights. Would love to have a rowhome there. I can at least take solace that D.C. isn't *that* far away and I can visit New York once a year on the Amtrak.

Old Posted Oct 12, 2021, 5:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steely Dan View Post
those are the demos most likely to have kids at home, so that makes sense because WFH can make child logistics a million times easier.

take today for example. my son woke up with a cough, so instead of sending him to school, we had to take him to get him a covid test. he won't be allowed back into to school until the test result says negative (24-48 hours). my daughter also has a pre-scheduled doctor's check-up this afternoon at 3:30pm.

if my wife and i had 9-5 office jobs, we'd be reshuffling our entire deck on the fly, but because we're both WFH, i was like, "i got a 9:00am meeting this morning, so if you take our son to the covid test, i'll take our daughter to the doctor's appointment this afternoon, and we'll tag-team looking after our son during the day, and then we can make up any lost work time after the kids are in bed."

Sounds fine on the surface, until you realize you put daycares out of business. Then, you’ll entertain the thought that homeschooling is feasible, etc…

Old Posted Oct 12, 2021, 5:11 PM
devout Pizzatarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by montréaliste View Post
Sounds fine on the surface, until you realize you put daycares out of business. Then, you’ll entertain the thought that homeschooling is feasible, etc…
hell no, day-cares and schools become even more important for WFH families.

If i'm at home all day trying to work, then i NEED my kids to go somewhere else.

i'd entertain suicide long before i'd ever entertain home-schooling......... worst. idea. ever.

Old Posted Oct 12, 2021, 5:17 PM

Quote:
no, day-cares and schools become even more important for WFH families.

If i'm at home all day trying to work, then i need my kids out of our home.

i'd entertain suicide long before i'd ever entertain home-schooling......... worst. idea. ever.
Home schooling is exactly what kids do not need. Having run a Scout pack for many years ( with several home-schooling families ) I can tell you kids need to LEARN socialization, not just with other kids but with adults.

They also need to learn from an early age that you must get up early in the morning 5 days a week and go do something you would rather not be doing.

Old Posted Oct 12, 2021, 5:22 PM

Quote:
hell no, day-cares and schools become even more important for WFH families.

If i'm at home all day trying to work, then i NEED my kids to go somewhere else.

No sweat. My sons are men now, we are still having to inculcate civic notions with them. Home schooling would have been the straw that broke my back, when they were kids.

Old Posted Oct 12, 2021, 6:16 PM
Me?!?

Who didn't see this coming? Our lives were turned upside down and we had never experienced this before, it made a lot of sense for some inner city dwellers to flee for more room, be closer to family, etc. Now that the dust is settling many people are finding that they miss their old life.

As for me pre-pandemic I was able to WFH whenever I wanted to and as time went on I enjoyed the option more and more (but still only did so occasionally). Since the pandemic, etc., I have not been in an office in 1.5+ years (hard to believe actually) and have zero plans on going back permanently; I do not mind occasionally but will not want to for more than two days/week, but preference is rarely. Things I don't miss:

- The commute.
- Office politics/gossip/drama.
- People being disgusting in the bathrooms and kitchens.
- Seeing the same people over and over and over...
- Having to really plan out personal appointments.

Things I do miss:
- The social aspect (but not nearly enough to outweigh the negatives).
- Easier to read people and intentions and get a true feel for them when you see how they operate in person.

Once in a while I do get sick of being home all day/home all night but I take a lot of walks and hit up local parks and what not to break up the monotony. Also, I moved into a big building and by default have the opportunity to run into more people (although not nearly as often as I had expected to and many people here seem to be recluses, rarely leave their apartments and have everything delivered).

I do wonder what will happen to commercial real estate. While some companies seem to dislike the WFH culture the almighty dollar always wins and I can't imagine that they aren't seeing the immense savings if they close up some shops and how some of the costs are on the employees in many cases now e.g. electricity, internet.

Old Posted Oct 12, 2021, 7:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastSideHBG View Post

...I do wonder what will happen to commercial real estate. While some companies seem to dislike the WFH culture the almighty dollar always wins and I can't imagine that they aren't seeing the immense savings if they close up some shops and how some of the costs are on the employees in many cases now e.g. electricity, internet.
The company my partner works for has been giving him (and other WFH employees) an extra stipend or allowance per month to pay for extra costs associated with WFH, particularly the electric bill, with computers being on all day, plus in the summer, my partner was running the A/C all day... our electric bill did indeed go up.

~ Charles Bukowski

Old Posted Oct 12, 2021, 7:33 PM
Me?!?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sopas ej View Post
The company my partner works for has been giving him (and other WFH employees) an extra stipend or allowance per month to pay for extra costs associated with WFH, particularly the electric bill, with computers being on all day, plus in the summer, my partner was running the A/C all day... our electric bill did indeed go up.
That's really cool! Rare from my experience, though. But I am not being too picky in this area, as I am saving $ on not having to commute.

Old Posted Oct 12, 2021, 7:39 PM
你的媽媽

Heh. Not surprised.

Old Posted Oct 12, 2021, 8:27 PM

I'm not getting any extra stipend for working from home. Its all savings to the employer (less costs, ac...etc). I do save money with no commute as others have stated which actually adds up to quite a bit.

Old Posted Oct 12, 2021, 9:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harryc View Post
They also need to learn from an early age that you must get up early in the morning 5 days a week and go do something you would rather not be doing.
Completely random, but my gf made me download tiktok so we can share funny videos. I came across a tiktok from the real Wolf of Wall Street. He defined how to be successful as exactly that. Interesting words from a convicted crook, but he seems to be doing okay now. lol

Old Posted Oct 14, 2021, 5:18 PM

As an engineer, I'm personally really interested (mortified?) to see what having more WFH options will do to the manufacturing sector. It's already hard enough to get engineers to interact with the technicians on the shop floor even when they're in the same building, and because so many engineers tend to skew introverted, I worry a bit that it'll become harder to recruit talent to roles that require being onsite, such as quality control. Of course there are definitely folks out there who like to make things and thrive in such environments, but I think that it could make it even more difficult for traditional industry to compete with the tech sector than it already is.

Old Posted Nov 2, 2021, 1:12 AM
America's Hometown

Quote:
Originally Posted by sopas ej View Post
My partner has been WFH for the past nearly year and a half and he is SICK. OF. IT. He's told me recently that he's thinking of possibly going into the office a few days a week, as some of his co-workers have started to do last month...

He's told me that he looks forward to me coming home and us going out to dinner during the week---we've been doing it really often the past several months, and I don't blame him for not wanting to just stay home all day, work, and then staying home the rest of the evening so that we cook dinner, and then going out for a walk in our same damn neighborhood hehe.
I hated it too. We have been back in our office officially since last spring, bit people still WFH willy nilly. We are socially distanced in our desks because there was plenty of oppen office space due to downsizing before the pandemic. So...some days i can be almost by myself in my section of the building. I just hated WFH everyday. Once in a while is fine but being stuck at home and not having in person socialization sucked.

Old Posted Nov 2, 2021, 1:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harryc View Post
I feel like that is the main thing that I learned in school lol.

Last edited by SFBruin; Nov 2, 2021 at 12:32 PM.

Old Posted Nov 2, 2021, 7:37 AM

So is now a good time to buy a rental investment property in NYC?

I haven’t kept up on things like regs and tax treatment either. They have basically made it impossible to make money from “buy-to-let” in London but is that the case in NYC as well?
There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge." - Isaac Asimov

Old Posted Nov 2, 2021, 1:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10023 View Post
So is now a good time to buy a rental investment property in NYC?

I haven’t kept up on things like regs and tax treatment either. They have basically made it impossible to make money from “buy-to-let” in London but is that the case in NYC as well?
The best time to buy in NYC was in the height of the pandemic when everyone was fleeing. Prices plummeted. They are still down in some areas, particularly in Brooklyn for some odd reason, but we're definitely past the bottom.

Old Posted Nov 2, 2021, 2:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3rd&Brown View Post
The best time to buy in NYC was in the height of the pandemic when everyone was fleeing. Prices plummeted. They are still down in some areas, particularly in Brooklyn for some odd reason, but we're definitely past the bottom.
Brooklyn didn't plummet during the pandemic. Prices actually rose. Manhattan declined, but it wasn't a substantial decline. And I believe it has already recovered.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions