HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Oct 6, 2021, 9:10 PM
devout Pizzatarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rywiga View Post
We do not even get bad winters anymore. Lucky if there is snow on the ground for more than a day before melting.
well, last february begs to differ.

we had an awesome amount of snow, just wave after wave after wave if it!

but yeah, outside of february, last winter was kooky mild.

i remember LOTS of days of taking my kids out to our local playgrounds in dec./jan. in 40 and 50 degree weather.

then february slammed into us, like an entire winter season of cold and snow distilled and condensed down into 28 days, and then march came along and shit was all super-mild again like a light switch.

weird winter.

Old Posted Oct 6, 2021, 10:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rywiga View Post
We do not even get bad winters anymore. Lucky if there is snow on the ground for more than a day before melting.
Yes, global warming?who knows. Even when it does snow in Chicago it is still a lot easier to navigate than most areas because of its Prairie like terrain. Many cities in the East, especially parts of Ohio and Pennsylvania are nightmarish to navigate in winter due to the many hills and valleys. Lastly even during winter Chicago has a lot of events geared toward Winter tourism..i.e..Skating, Museums, affordable Husband/Wife/Family Hotel Packages, Shopping etc. Plus a skyline that simply dazzles even in Winter.

Old Posted Oct 7, 2021, 3:21 AM
BANNED

Chicago is probably the best city for sure. Fabulous architecture, incredible views (I went to U of C in Hyde Park and have fond memories of the Jeffery 6 taking me along the lakeshore to downtown), fantastic food (coastal cities are much better with seafood though), a genuinely better core experience for tourists. Sure, NYC has more of everything and is probably better under the surface, but Chicago makes a pretty package of everything urban.

Old Posted Oct 7, 2021, 3:07 PM
The City

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronevill View Post
Sure, NYC has more of everything and is probably better under the surface, but Chicago makes a pretty package of everything urban.
^ That's definitely a matter of opinion.

"Under the surface" Chicago to some is probably more likeable than "under the surface New York", although I'm sure 2 people can disagree on this. It really depends on what you are looking for in life.

If you want the most hardcore urban experience, then you will absolutely only be satisfied with New York.

But if you want things to be a bit more chill and less intense, then Chicago will suit you better for sure.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4W...lUKB1w8ED5bV2Q

Old Posted Oct 7, 2021, 3:36 PM
<-- Chicago's roots.

I like to think tourists also visit cities not simply because they're an agglomeration of generic facets, but also feature something unique culturally that they can only find in that city. Chicago has more than enough of that to qualify, no?

Common - Resurrection (Video Mix)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HmOd0GKuztE

Old Posted Oct 8, 2021, 12:55 PM

Happy to see Portland at #8, I guess people realize the whole city isn't on fire, after all haha!

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions