HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

Central Park Tower in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • New York Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
New York Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Aug 4, 2018, 5:04 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Is it just me or has vertical structural process slowed down? They are cladding quickly, but it seems like the rise in general is slowing down.

Old Posted Aug 4, 2018, 5:40 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjr101 View Post
Why are they still peddling that 131 floors number? Does inflating the floor count really make a building more attractive to potential customers? Why did they choose the number 131 anyway?

Just curious.
Where have you been the past 20 years?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kumdogmillionaire View Post
This is about as ungraceful of a supertall design as I've ever seen. So god damn clunky looking
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zerton View Post
We can get a bit despairing around here, lol.
It's objectively a perfectly nice tower. Strange massing (with the cantilever especially) but the facade looks high quality
I've always said I expected the facade to look nice. But when people talk about the Empire State, the Chrysler Building, and other greats in this town, they're not talking about how nice the facades are. This is a building that's in the discussion for tallest building in New York City. The awkward clunkiness of the design could be forgiven if it had an appropriate summit for such a building. Facades can be appreciated up close and personal, but they don't define the skyline. New York is a city that has long been defined by it's skyline, and for good reason.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Aug 4, 2018, 6:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris08876 View Post
Is it just me or has vertical structural process slowed down? They are cladding quickly, but it seems like the rise in general is slowing down.
It definitely has slowed down. I don't think they've added a single floor since the accident.

Old Posted Aug 4, 2018, 11:55 PM

Quote:
It definitely has slowed down. I don't think they've added a single floor since the accident.
Wait, what? They've, quite clearly, added multiple floors since the stop work order.

That stop work order was in late May, when 225 W57 was around the height of 220 CPS. It's now obviously much taller. It's probably around 1,100 ft. right now.

Old Posted Aug 5, 2018, 5:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYguy View Post
I've always said I expected the facade to look nice. But when people talk about the Empire State, the Chrysler Building, and other greats in this town, they're not talking about how nice the facades are. This is a building that's in the discussion for tallest building in New York City. The awkward clunkiness of the design could be forgiven if it had an appropriate summit for such a building. Facades can be appreciated up close and personal, but they don't define the skyline. New York is a city that has long been defined by it's skyline, and for good reason.
I think it does a fine job in terms of a crown, with those vertical fin/slit elements on the parapet, the planned lighting, and that last setback before the top that all work together to provide some visual termination for the building. I think there are a couple of approaches to sharing the skyline with towers as legendary as the ESB and Chrysler—you can go all-out to create a new icon to match them, as 111 and 53W53 have done, or you can do a building like this one that’s less ornamental but still has its own skyline presence. Or alternately you can go the 1WTC/432 Park route and just not even try Remember at one point it looked like this tower was just going to end up a glass box with a cantilever at the bottom? I think the current design is definitely an improvement over that.

Old Posted Aug 5, 2018, 6:45 PM
A.F.K.A. JayPro

Or we can all revert to pining for those monotonous, monolithic, metallic monstrous monuments of international business and commerce that only until after 9-11 almost everyone and his brother loathed because of its sheer brute presence.

Yamasaki-san had it right when he built his Twins for that reason instead of yielding to whatever feigned parochial aesthetic utopianism might have prevailed.

And for all that time in between, I daresay that nobody--even those who back then would have been in our stead today--really would've cared all that much either way given any solicitation of an honest viewpoint.

PS: I'm rather confident that most of us who follow NYC history realize that the 360' antenna atop the old North Tower was borne out of necessity and surely not out of any crying need for a "decorative" or "symbolic" spire.

Old Posted Aug 5, 2018, 7:49 PM

I think this has slowed down, but more recently than the stop-work order. Its been at the same height for maybe 3 weeks now with at most, one floor added in that time.
Maybe because of the transfer floors?

Old Posted Aug 6, 2018, 4:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawford View Post
Wait, what? They've, quite clearly, added multiple floors since the stop work order.

That stop work order was in late May, when 225 W57 was around the height of 220 CPS. It's now obviously much taller. It's probably around 1,100 ft. right now.
CPT was already taller than 220 Central Park in May. The stop work order came at about May 26th. If you look back at at pictures posted by Chris08876 on May 13th and NYguy on May 19th you would clearly see that CPT was already taller than 220 Central Park. You can make comparisons by going back to those posts.

The vertical growth has clearly slowed and it looks like no floors have been added in quite a while.

Old Posted Aug 6, 2018, 4:42 AM
DENNAB

Quote:
CPT was already taller than 220 Central Park in May. The stop work order came at about May 26th. If you look back at at pictures posted by Chris08876 on May 13th and NYguy on May 19th you would clearly see that CPT was already taller than 220 Central Park. You can make comparisons by going back to those posts.

The vertical growth has clearly slowed and it looks like no floors have been added in quite a while.
+1

Hope it gets back on track soon

Old Posted Aug 6, 2018, 3:38 PM

Quote:
CPT was already taller than 220 Central Park in May.
No, they were roughly the same height in May. 225 is much taller now, and has, quite obviously, added floors.

Take a look at this thread back in May, and compare to now.

I am amazed at the things people will argue at SSP. It's bizarre. Everyone has an agenda, I guess.

Old Posted Aug 6, 2018, 6:08 PM
New Yorker for life

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Last edited by NYguy; Aug 6, 2018 at 6:33 PM.

Old Posted Aug 6, 2018, 9:29 PM
Mr. Technology

Amazing shots, NYguy!

First, we start with eye candy:

Bonus points to anyone who can spot One Vanderbilt.

Second, we can use 432 Park as a measuring stick to chart the progress:

Again, very good progress for our future tallest.

Old Posted Aug 9, 2018, 11:02 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Various super talls rising. Use 432 Park as the measuring stick for CPT.

Credit: Cheryl Hills

Old Posted Aug 9, 2018, 11:51 PM

I don't know if it's my favorite skyline aesthetically, but there is no doubt in my mind that it's the most impressive by far! New York City is one of mankind's most impressive creations

Billionaire's row is such a unique place, and who would have thought we would have seen it grow into the highest concentration of supertalls on Earth??? Impressive!

Old Posted Aug 10, 2018, 5:51 AM
Everywhere all at once

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris08876 View Post
Various super talls rising. Use 432 Park as the measuring stick for CPT.
If we're measuring, how about using 432 Park as a rough height comparison for One Vanderbilt....and then look at the Chrysler Building.

Old Posted Aug 10, 2018, 10:47 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Tough to see Chrysler given its mid rises status in the area. But it enjoyed its time in the history books as the worlds tallest for 11 months. And for nearly 40 years, the ESB took that title. Poor Chrysler...

And in all seriousness, Chrysler is a super tall, but you'd be forgiven to think its not. I mean just look at it! Look at everything else. Minuscule in the skyscraper galaxy center of Midtown.

Old Posted Aug 11, 2018, 1:25 AM
New Yorker for life

Old Posted Aug 11, 2018, 1:59 AM
New Yorker for life

Old Posted Aug 11, 2018, 2:54 PM
DENNAB

Nice! It has to be pushing ~1100 feet

Old Posted Aug 11, 2018, 3:16 PM

I notice both this tower and 111W57th both slowdown when they get to the mechanical floors.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive