HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Proposals

Old Posted Nov 13, 2019, 1:39 PM
BANNED

In the words of Michael Scott, why does Tower Fifth have to be the way that it is?

I'm predicting this will be the first time in history that someone calls in a bomb threat on a future building.

Old Posted Nov 13, 2019, 2:30 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by artspook View Post
hope Macklowe is donating a lot to St. Patty's . .
'cause that cathedral's Gothic shapes,
as seen through the glass of Tower Fifth's lobby,
are the only visual interest this building has to offer . .
It's much better to be looking out from inside this building,
than to be nearby Tower Fifth, and having to look at it's
cheap lack of anything consequential . .
I don't think so.

Last edited by JMKeynes; Nov 14, 2019 at 12:32 AM.

Old Posted Nov 13, 2019, 9:24 PM

I made a video of the current midtown projects, including our favorite 1556 foot monolith:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XEQm...ature=youtu.be

Old Posted Nov 13, 2019, 10:44 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawford View Post
I love this tower, and predict it will be exactly like 432 Park. Everyone will be complaining until its built, and then curiously quiet (implicitly acknowledging that Viñoly is indeed a great architect).

I actually think this is the most exciting tower, right now, in Manhattan. New Midtown tallest, highest observation deck, great materials (Viñoly is always about subtle materials that don't really reveal themselves until you have the finished product) and perfect location in the dead-center core of the skyline.

Also, can someone explain why they think 1 Vanderbilt is a better design? I find that bizarre. 1 Vandy, while OK, is garbage compared to Tower Fifth. Viñoly actually builds contemporary towers, not derivative crap. 1 Vandy will be a background building, except for the spectacular nighttime lighting. Will be overshadowed by Chase and Grand Hyatt towers.

It's like I said, they'll be lining up to get to the top of this building while shaking their fist at it. Maybe Macklowe should change the name from Tower Fifth to Tower Verre (it's available).

As far as Vanderbilt though, I think it's more of a design in tune with the spirit of the NY skyline, and I think the tallest should have a spire. Even if it's just Midtown.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Nov 13, 2019, 10:47 PM
New Yorker for life

https://therealdeal.com/2019/11/12/s...midtown-tower/

Nov. 12, 2019
By David Jeans

Quote:
Harry Macklowe is offloading his stake in a Midtown tower, while he attempts to build another one.

The 82-year-old is departing 200 East 59th Street, The Real Deal has learned. His capital partner in the building, Singapore-based Alpha Investment Partners, is buying his stake in the 35-story Upper East Side condominium tower.

“In accordance with our business plan, we are now focusing our efforts on other upcoming projects,” a spokesperson for Macklowe Properties said in a statement. “We know Alpha will be a fantastic steward of this property.”
Quote:
The move comes as Macklowe attempts to assemble a Midtown parcel of land for another skyscraper, Tower Fifth, which, if completed, would stand over 1,500 feet tall. In October he secured a $192 million loan from Fortress to refinance the site. But plans for the tower have been put on hold as Macklowe has tried unsuccessfully to buy the Venezuelan consulate, which currently sits on the block, between East 51st and 52nd streets, and Madison and Fifth avenues.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Nov 13, 2019, 11:22 PM
BANNED

I thought that he bought the Consulate. It's great news IMO if he hasn't. I don't want this dump to rise. Maybe the putz can build a condo by Stern instead.

Old Posted Nov 13, 2019, 11:43 PM
DENNAB

Hm, guess this may not happen after all, I'm simultaneously sad and not at the same time.

Old Posted Nov 13, 2019, 11:54 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zapatan View Post
Hm, guess this may not happen after all, I'm simultaneously sad and not at the same time.
When I find the time, I'll check ACRIS. If he doesn't own it, there's no way that Chavez will sell it.

Old Posted Nov 14, 2019, 12:00 AM
BANNED

As per ACRIS, Venezuela still owns 7 E 51st! Thus, this 1,550' pile of trash will not rise!

I have no idea why the Putz acted like he owned this property.

Old Posted Nov 14, 2019, 12:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyy View Post
I made a video of the current midtown projects, including our favorite 1556 foot monolith:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XEQm...ature=youtu.be
cool vid, thanks

Old Posted Nov 14, 2019, 1:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylan Dude View Post
cool vid, thanks
Of course! More to come. Looks like there might be one less model to include now

Old Posted Nov 16, 2019, 6:17 PM
DENNAB

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMKeynes View Post
As per ACRIS, Venezuela still owns 7 E 51st! Thus, this 1,550' pile of trash will not rise!

I'm sure he (Macklowe) will keep trying. Couldn't Venezuela just occupy the first few floors of the new tower for their Consulate?

It would be cool if he could buy 80 South Street from Oceanwide and develop his 1,500+ footer there. Or maybe another midtown site?

I still hope he gets his opportunity because most other developers aren't ambitious enough to build to such a scale. I'd really like to see another 1,500+ footer in NYC, albeit with a slightly improved design.

Old Posted Nov 16, 2019, 6:59 PM
Development Shill

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMKeynes View Post

This is a victory for the people

Old Posted Nov 16, 2019, 7:08 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kumdogmillionaire View Post
I agree.

Old Posted Nov 16, 2019, 8:54 PM
DENNAB

Quote:
I have to disagree, another building with the roof height of CPT would have been epic, all that was needed were some adjustments at the top. We have yet to see too many renderings of this thing either, some newer ones may show it in a more positive light.

Old Posted Nov 16, 2019, 9:12 PM
BANNED

Quote:
I have to disagree, another building with the roof height of CPT would have been epic, all that was needed were some adjustments at the top. We have yet to see too many renderings of this thing either, some newer ones may show it in a more positive light.
I think that there will be many towers of this height in the future. This looks like garbage, and I hope that it's not built.

Old Posted Nov 16, 2019, 9:14 PM
BANNED

Quote:
I'm sure he (Macklowe) will keep trying. Couldn't Venezuela just occupy the first few floors of the new tower for their Consulate?

It would be cool if he could buy 80 South Street from Oceanwide and develop his 1,500+ footer there. Or maybe another midtown site?

I still hope he gets his opportunity because most other developers aren't ambitious enough to build to such a scale. I'd really like to see another 1,500+ footer in NYC, albeit with a slightly improved design.
Macklowe represents the self-entitled variety of New Yorkers who think that the world revolves around them and are oblivious to the rights and concerns of all others. This kind of narcissism makes him believe that he can develop a building that he doesn't own. In NY, we call this hyper-narcissism "chutzpah."

The Venezuelan government won't sell to him out of principle, and that's a good thing in this case.

Old Posted Nov 16, 2019, 9:29 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
There isn't a victory anyone yet. For one thing, Macklowe doesnt need that small piece of the property to build his tower, which is mostly fronted on 52nd Street. The tower itself will hoover far above. It would make for a nicer entrance on 51st Street, but hardly necessary. It's the reason Maclowe is still moving forward with plans. He'd love to have it, but could build with or without it. The more important factor is the approvals process that he needs to go through in order to build the tower. Thar's what will determine this tower's fate.

Old Posted Nov 16, 2019, 10:08 PM
DENNAB

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYguy View Post
There isn't a victory anyone yet. For one thing, Macklowe doesnt need that small piece of the property to build his tower, which is mostly fronted on 52nd Street. The tower itself will hoover far above. It would make for a nicer entrance on 51st Street, but hardly necessary. It's the reason Maclowe is still moving forward with plans. He'd love to have it, but could build with or without it. The more important factor is the approvals process that he needs to go through in order to build the tower. Thar's what will determine this tower's fate.
Right, most renderings depict it offset from/above the existing property, that makes more sense. We would have heard this thing was cancelled otherwise, due to Venezuela's refusal to sell the Consulate. Thanks for clearing that up.

Quote:
Macklowe represents the self-entitled variety of New Yorkers who think that the world revolves around them and are oblivious to the rights and concerns of all others. This kind of narcissism makes him believe that he can develop a building that he doesn't own. In NY, we call this hyper-narcissism "chutzpah."
Sure, but given who he is would we expect otherwise? His narcissism, persistence and "chutzpah" is probably the reason this thing still has a chance. I know you hate it, as do many others, but there's a good chance the design isn't completely final.

Old Posted Nov 16, 2019, 10:53 PM
BANNED

He’ll build something here. He can easily build a very tall condo exclusively on the 52nd St side.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Proposals