HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos

Old Posted Nov 12, 2022, 5:43 AM

48 hours in MOAB, Utah

Last month I had the opportunity to make a quick visit to the famed outdoors desert town of Moab.

The city only has a population of 5,300 but it still has a very lively little downtown.

There is even a year-round Food Truck Park with around a dozen great food vendors.

Colorado River flows by Moab and has some nice canyon views.

Moab is well-known as a mecca for 4x4 vehicles and you see so many heavily modded Jeeps and sand buggies casually driving around town.

There are many famous off-road trails in the area with Lion's Back being one of the most famous one. People have died driving up (and down!) the 65 degree incline.

Video Link

Video Link

Over one million people visit Moab annually due to its proximity to two national parks. We visited Arches National Park for an early morning hike to see sunrise over the red sand desert.

While temperatures of over 100F and +40C are common in the summer, mornings especially in October can have temperatures close to freezing.

The national park is most famous as the location of over 2,000 natural sandstone arches. Landscape Arch is the longest natural stone arch outside of China with length of 88,4 metres or 290 feet.

The final destination of our hike was Navajo Arch which looks different from all the others.

Red rock bathing in the morning sun.

On the way back we made a quick stop so see Sand Dune Arch which is located inside this rock formation.

Driving in before 6am it was still pitch black, so one couldn't tell how beautiful the scenery around us was before heading out of the national park.

Utah is home to some amazing American West views. There was a lot I couldn't see on this short trip, so another one is certainly warranted.

Last edited by Klazu; Dec 18, 2022 at 10:20 PM.

Old Posted Nov 12, 2022, 6:44 AM
Midtowner since 2K

Gorgeous images Klazu!
I took a trip to the Southwest last month and one of the highlights was visiting an area not too far from there, which was Bryce Canyon. It's simply incredible how erosion has formed these different landscapes that are so unique. One of the only things I regret about the trip was not being able to see Zion National park...we passed through it on the way to Vegas, and saw the mountains as the sky was about to turn to ful nighttime darkness.
Utah is such a remarkable state to visit, though of course neighbouring states also share similar beautiful parks and geological conditions.

Old Posted Nov 12, 2022, 3:36 PM
cle/west village/shaolin

very nice. there is so much nature to do and see right around there. along the colorado to the south is another great area to explore, like with ancient carvings and dino footprints.

Old Posted Nov 12, 2022, 6:21 PM

Beautiful photos!
Spent a week touring Zion, Bryce Canyon, Grand Canyon (North Rim), Mesa Verde & Arches back in 2017. One of our favorite trips! Definitely a must do at some point in your life. But I think I’ll pass on the 4x4 driving up & down Lions Back!

Old Posted Nov 13, 2022, 3:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneralLeeTPHLS View Post
Gorgeous images Klazu!
I took a trip to the Southwest last month and one of the highlights was visiting an area not too far from there, which was Bryce Canyon. It's simply incredible how erosion has formed these different landscapes that are so unique. One of the only things I regret about the trip was not being able to see Zion National park...we passed through it on the way to Vegas, and saw the mountains as the sky was about to turn to ful nighttime darkness.
Utah is such a remarkable state to visit, though of course neighbouring states also share similar beautiful parks and geological conditions.
To me, there's no place more beautiful than southern Utah. I've seen most of it. In 2009, I had the opportunity to spend time at a huge animal sanctuary (Best Friends) near Kanab, Utah. It wasn't far to Bryce, and was a very short drive to Zion.

Old Posted Nov 13, 2022, 7:22 AM
Midtowner since 2K

Quote:
Originally Posted by AviationGuy View Post
To me, there's no place more beautiful than southern Utah. I've seen most of it. In 2009, I had the opportunity to spend time at a huge animal sanctuary (Best Friends) near Kanab, Utah. It wasn't far to Bryce, and was a very short drive to Zion.

I'm rather convinced by my trip that your first sentence is true, it's such an awe inspiring place.
Kanab is such a pretty town. It reminds me of Banff, Alberta in some ways, just due to the scle of the downtown compared to the massive mountains nearby. One day I want to return, especially to see other areas near and within Zion.

Old Posted Nov 13, 2022, 3:23 PM
Community Guy

Beautiful!

I am hoping to get on the two-wheeler and explore down that way next summer.

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted Nov 14, 2022, 1:52 AM

Klaus' aesthetic taste and camera technique make little everything look stunning

Old Posted Nov 15, 2022, 5:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klazu View Post

I want to be on this trail!

Old Posted Nov 16, 2022, 11:44 PM

I've never seen anything like those arches before. That is an amazing landscape, and you also show it well (even from inside the car!?). I will have to remember to visit it and see for myself one day.

Old Posted Nov 17, 2022, 12:02 AM

On my bucket list! Thanks for sharing

Old Posted Nov 17, 2022, 2:59 AM

Great pictures! I'm really glad that you included some national park pictures as well!

How was the restaurant/bar scene in Moab?

Southern Utah is one place in the country I really want to go to. I was almost going to go there this past October, while I was in Arizona for the Philadelphia Eagles game, but had to do a short trip and just stuck with the Grand Canyon. Northern Arizona is another area that I love!

Old Posted Nov 17, 2022, 4:03 PM
Me?!?

Beautiful!

Old Posted Jan 7, 2023, 6:25 PM

Forgot to reply earlier, but thank you for all the comments!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MplsTodd View Post
Spent a week touring Zion, Bryce Canyon, Grand Canyon (North Rim), Mesa Verde & Arches back in 2017. One of our favorite trips!
Man, sounds like you hit all the main sights in the area! I will definitely get back at some point to explore more, as this short visit was over a business trip. The locals told me that all national parks in Southern Utah are becoming very crowded as of recent years, so timing your visit is something that requires careful planning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murphy de la Sucre View Post
Klaus' aesthetic taste and camera technique make little everything look stunning
Thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by geomorph View Post
I want to be on this trail!
Haha! It looks really cool in the photos, but it is actually a super short trail. Very out-of-this-world scenery, though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xzmattzx View Post
How was the restaurant/bar scene in Moab?
Very up and coming with almost no chain restaurants. My local colleagues visit Moab often and even they discovered brand new establishments and watering holes that had just opened.There is clearly a tourism and construction boom going on, as the city was bustling even in October, which is low season!

Old Posted Jan 8, 2023, 6:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klazu View Post
Man, sounds like you hit all the main sights in the area! I will definitely get back at some point to explore more, as this short visit was over a business trip. The locals told me that all national parks in Southern Utah are becoming very crowded as of recent years, so timing your visit is something that requires careful planning.
Beautiful photos, thanks for sharing.

The San Rafael Swell is another beautiful part of southern Utah that doesn't get as much attention as the National Parks (which makes it more enjoyable IMO) but it is worthy of being a National Park. I would recommend visiting the Wedge Overlook there.

Also, Vernal, up in North Eastern Utah next to Dinosaur National Monument, is a town similar to Moab but without the crowds.

Old Posted Mar 1, 2023, 7:43 PM
Gatinois et fier

beautiful!so different from what i've seen in my life.

GATINEAU-OTTAWA=1 300 000
gatinopolis.miniville.fr
gatinopolis.miniville.fr/ind

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos