HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Sep 4, 2021, 5:44 PM
Environmental Sabotage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camelback View Post
You've never been harassed by anybody in Chicago riding the public transportation? Not once?

99.999% of drivers will go their entire life without getting pistol whipped and carjacked Lol.
I have never been harassed by anybody in San Francisco riding Muni or Bart and I commute to work on muni. When I am in Los Angeles I am never harassed on the subway. Now there have been occasions that there have been homeless and some with obvious mental issues who have annoyed me and others but never harassed.

Old Posted Sep 4, 2021, 7:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twister244 View Post
Now that I've spent a couple days in London, It's far exceeded my expectations....

Some masks on public transit, but many people with no masks.

Very few masks on the sidewalks.

Everything feels pretty open and normal here.

Thank god.
So you're willing to take your chances with the extra risk, now proven by the Stanford/Yale study I posted, that could be removed simply by wearing masks. What counts to you is "feeling normal" (no matter if there are incremental deaths).

Old Posted Sep 4, 2021, 8:23 PM
Environmental Sabotage

Quote:
Now that I've spent a couple days in London, It's far exceeded my expectations....

Some masks on public transit, but many people with no masks.

Very few masks on the sidewalks.

Everything feels pretty open and normal here.

Thank god.
Yeah, I am sure the 41K that tested positive yesterday in the UK feel the same way too. No reason why everybody cannot wear a mask on mass transit. No need to wear one outdoors though.

Old Posted Sep 4, 2021, 8:28 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by dktshb View Post
I have never been harassed by anybody in San Francisco riding Muni or Bart and I commute to work on muni. When I am in Los Angeles I am never harassed on the subway. Now there have been occasions that there have been homeless and some with obvious mental issues who have annoyed me and others but never harassed.
That's good man.

I've never been harassed inside my vehicle while I'm operating it by myself (with my mask on).

Also, I've never had homeless with mental issues annoy me inside my car.

Old Posted Sep 4, 2021, 9:13 PM
He/his/him. >~<, QED!

Quote:
That's good man.

I've never been harassed inside my vehicle while I'm operating it by myself (with my mask on).

Also, I've never had homeless with mental issues annoy me inside my car.
You said you listen to am radio.

Old Posted Sep 4, 2021, 9:20 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIGSEGV View Post
You said you listen to am radio.
I do. I love AM radio for local news. KTAR is a good source, strong source however it's broadcast on 92.3FM in the last few years, used to be AM. The funny thing is, 92.3FM used to be POWER 92, "Your Home for Hip Hop & RnB!"

Power 92 then moved to 98.3FM and it just doesn't seem the same ever since they made the move!

I also listen to Spotify (no commercials) and sometimes podcasts on Spotify.

What about you? Do you listen to AM radio? Hip Hop? Podcasts?

Old Posted Sep 4, 2021, 9:22 PM
He/his/him. >~<, QED!

Quote:
I do. I love AM radio for local news. KTAR is a good source, strong source however it's broadcast on 92.3FM in the last few years, used to be AM. The funny thing is, 92.3FM used to be POWER 92, "Your Home for Hip Hop & RnB!"

Power 92 then moved to 98.3FM and it just doesn't seem the same ever since they made the move!

I also listen to Spotify (no commercials) and sometimes podcasts on Spotify.

What about you? Do you listen to AM radio? Hip Hop? Podcasts?
Can't remember the last time I listened to the radio, though I do read WBEZ's web site.

Old Posted Sep 4, 2021, 9:25 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Can't remember the last time I listened to the radio, though I do read WBEZ's web site.
I try to not read websites when I'm in the car, although I have checked SSP (only at a stoplight or while on cruise control with light traffic).

Old Posted Sep 4, 2021, 9:32 PM
He/his/him. >~<, QED!

Quote:
I try to not read websites when I'm in the car, although I have checked SSP (only at a stoplight or while on cruise control with light traffic).
That sounds extremely dangerous. Reading web sites is much safer on the train .

(On the rare occasions I get a rental car and drive, I usually just listen to spotify after I figure out how the fuck to connect my phone to the rental car, always an adventure...).

Old Posted Sep 4, 2021, 9:43 PM
BANNED

Quote:
That sounds extremely dangerous. Reading web sites is much safer on the train .

(On the rare occasions I get a rental car and drive, I usually just listen to spotify after I figure out how the fuck to connect my phone to the rental car, always an adventure...).
I was kind of just joking with the last post, I forgot to put the : D emoji in there.

But yeah, connecting a device to an unknown rental car can sometimes require a YouTube video!

I also use Apple airPods to take/place calls while I'm driving. Text messages are read out loud by Siri. It's basically all hands free with today's tech.

Old Posted Sep 4, 2021, 11:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedestrian View Post
So you're willing to take your chances with the extra risk, now proven by the Stanford/Yale study I posted, that could be removed simply by wearing masks. What counts to you is "feeling normal" (no matter if there are incremental deaths).
Extra risk of what? That I catch a breakthrough case and feel under the weather for a day or two?......

And those incremental deaths are mostly folks who aren't vaccinated.

Are we really going to have this debate again? Most people (from my experiences in Chicago, and the initial impressions in London) don't care anymore Ped. They aren't scared of this virus. They don't care if unvaxxed people are dying from it. We just don't care anymore.

Time to move on.

Old Posted Sep 4, 2021, 11:09 PM
He/his/him. >~<, QED!

Quote:
Extra risk of what? That I catch a breakthrough case and feel under the weather for a day or two?......

Are we really going to have this debate again? Most people (from my experiences in Chicago, and the initial impressions in London) don't care anymore Ped. They aren't scared of this virus. They don't care if unvaxxed people are dying from it. We just don't care anymore.

Time to move on.
Well for one you might be denied entry back to the US

Old Posted Sep 4, 2021, 11:14 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Well for one you might be denied entry back to the US
He might be denied if he possibly catches Covid.

He should probably hide in his Chicago basement forever.

Old Posted Sep 4, 2021, 11:42 PM

Quote:

Time to move on.
People who don't care and assume that their case will be mild can do as they like to a degree but it's the role of government to protect people from themselves sometimes and they do that by enforcing masks where they make a difference: indoors in buildings and on transit and a few other places.

Lots of people "aren't scared". That's why lot of them aren't vaccinated but I equate refusing to wear a mask in a store or on a bus with refusing to get a shot. They are equally stubborn and ignorant.

I supposed it shouldn't be about being "scared", just being realistic and sensible, and that old phrase, "following the science".

The British are famously pigheaded. FYI, San Francisco feels quite nearly normal to me too but people are obeying the law by wearing masks in stores and on transit and they don't feel put upon doing it.

Old Posted Sep 4, 2021, 11:46 PM

Quote:
He might be denied if he possibly catches Covid.

He should probably hide in his Chicago basement forever.
Why does wearing a mask on a bus or in a store and getting 2 shots always get equated with hiding in a basement (or on a submarine) by covid deniers on this web site?

People hiding in their basement on much of the East Coast are all drowned now. So the rest wearing masks must be different.

I am now triple vaxxed and just spent a couple of hours out shopping, putting on a mask as I popped into each store and taking it off as I left; then I returned to my home which has no basement, being on the 5th and 6th floors of the building. Every place and the streets were busy--everyone out of whatever basements they may have--but inside the stores everyone was masked as the law here requires.

Old Posted Sep 4, 2021, 11:54 PM
He/his/him. >~<, QED!

I actually wonder if my building has a basement, perhaps accessible through the commercial part. If it does, it might be connected to the old Chicago Tunnel Company tunnels (it was constructed at about the right time), which would be quite cool. Plus I could hide there!

Old Posted Sep 5, 2021, 12:00 AM

Quote:
I actually wonder if my building has a basement, perhaps accessible through the commercial part. If it does, it might be connected to the old Chicago Tunnel Company tunnels (it was constructed at about the right time), which would be quite cool. Plus I could hide there!
No parking? Parking above ground?

My building does have 2 basement levels for parking but it would be hard to hide there--they are quite busy with residents coming and going.

PS: I do usually not put my mask back on after being out for a drive until I get to the elevator lobby where it's required.

Old Posted Sep 5, 2021, 12:05 AM
He/his/him. >~<, QED!

Quote:
No parking? Parking above ground?

My building does have 2 basement levels for parking but it would be hard to hide there--they are quite busy with residents coming and going.
My building was built in 1910 as an office building (it was converted into condos about 20 years ago) and has no parking. It's on a corner with both streets having had freight tunnels in 1910, according to this map:

So not implausible there at least used to be a connection... I wonder how I can find out.

edit: found this map which suggests there is no connection At least unless it's only showing connections on that block. I should go to the UChicago library and find this book...

Old Posted Sep 5, 2021, 12:14 AM

Quote:
My building was built in 1910 as an office building (it was converted into condos about 20 years ago) and has no parking. It's on a corner with both streets having had freight tunnels in 1910 . . . .

So not implausible there at least used to be a connection... I wonder how I can find out.
When I was in college some friends of mine and I used to explore tunnels under the campus that were part of the heating system I guess. The campus had a central power/heating plant that connected to all the buildings via the tunnels. But they also stored stuff down there like old maps and plans of the campus.

Urban tunnel exploring is fun.

Old Posted Sep 5, 2021, 12:18 AM
He/his/him. >~<, QED!

Quote:
When I was in college some friends of mine and I used to explore tunnels under the campus that were part of the heating system I guess. The campus had a central power/heating plant that connected to all the buildings via the tunnels. But they also stored stuff down there like old maps and plans of the campus.

Urban tunnel exploring is fun.
Yeah, steam tunneling was a big thing at Stanford, until they did a better job of securing access to the tunnels. Sadly I never went.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions