HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Apr 26, 2022, 7:15 PM

^ The City of Winnipeg seems so broken down and dysfunctional at all levels that in some respects it's no surprise that planning isn't any different.

What at the City works well? Property Assessment, because it was such a mess that the province had to step in and clean it up. That, and snow removal. Everything else is either mediocre or outright lousy.

No question it starts at the top. Most of our councillors are a bunch of small timers mostly concerned with paving park paths so they can put them in brochures at election time. There is too much ineptitude and now we have a new generation of the inept. We went from the likes of Harry Lazarenko to his modern incarnation, Jeff Browaty. And the city we live in reflects that.

Old Posted Apr 26, 2022, 7:19 PM

We ever going to get to see renders of the new building at St Mary and Donald? Can hear them driving piles.

Old Posted Apr 26, 2022, 7:32 PM
What could go wrong?

It looks great. I really like it.

It is perfect for downtown and we need 5 or 6 more.
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted Apr 26, 2022, 7:39 PM
What could go wrong?

Re-Planning:

I agree that the COW needs to improve its infill planning an approval process.

This is an honest question - is there any city in North America (or the developed world for that matter) that doesn't build outskirt suburbs the same way we do here? I have yet to see it in my travels across Canada and the US. Winding roads and Cul-de-Sacs. This is how people want to live in the suburbs and the developers deliver what trends people want to buy.

Sure there will be anomalies that are perfect neighbourhoods, but I mean en-mass.

I don't believe suburban buyers want grid streets and back lanes...I could be wrong, but just looking at how quickly the new houses sell....
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted Apr 26, 2022, 7:41 PM

I don't think most people know what they want. They just go and get what's there because it's new. So it must be better.

My friends are thrilled to be in their crappy stucco box in Canterbury Park. Their house sucks. I would never tell them that because its's their "dream home" I guess.

To each their own.

Old Posted Apr 26, 2022, 7:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
I don't think most people know what they want.
I think a lot of people have a hard time crossing from "what is" to "what could be". People go on vacation to Europe, and spend the whole time walking and meandering from shop to shop, and taking the train to interesting destinations. Then they home home and fight tooth and bloody nail to prevent even baby steps in that direction.

Actually screw reaching to the example of Europe. Winnipeggers travel from other parts of the city to Corydon and have a lovely walkable time before heading home to Linden Wood, but bringing none of the lessons with them.

Old Posted Apr 26, 2022, 8:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biff View Post
Re-Planning:

I agree that the COW needs to improve its infill planning an approval process.

This is an honest question - is there any city in North America (or the developed world for that matter) that doesn't build outskirt suburbs the same way we do here? I have yet to see it in my travels across Canada and the US. Winding roads and Cul-de-Sacs. This is how people want to live in the suburbs and the developers deliver what trends people want to buy.

Sure there will be anomalies that are perfect neighbourhoods, but I mean en-mass.

I don't believe suburban buyers want grid streets and back lanes...I could be wrong, but just looking at how quickly the new houses sell....
You're right, this sort of development has become ubiquitous. But better things are indeed being done (primarily in European contexts). A nice example in this thread:
https://twitter.com/holz_bau/status/1502731592187342848

I do believe it begins at a policy level, in a way that removes some of the power from the development industry. They need to be under far higher standards, the City should not just acquiesce every time a developer waves some cash around. All of us are ultimately the ones footing the bill for overstretched infrastructure. Unfortunately advocating for more aggressive government regulation is not a winning play in Manitoba...

Old Posted Apr 26, 2022, 8:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biff View Post

If people didn't want grids and back lanes, then no one would be building and buying infills in old neighbourhoods.

I lived nearly a decade in Riverview and there were always at least a couple of infills under construction at any given point during that period. Same with most other old neighbourhoods, even the ones considered less desirable like the North End.

I find the dissonance somewhat hard to understand... if you ask anyone "what is the best neighbourhood in Winnipeg", chances are they'll mention an older area with grid streets. It's probably the same in most other cities. Yet we stubbornly refuse to ever build any more of that and we really haven't since maybe sometime in the 1970s. Of course people will buy homes in suburban cul de sacs when that's the only option for a new home, other than buying an old home, demolishing it and building an infill, which is relatively pricy in comparison.

Old Posted Apr 26, 2022, 9:09 PM
the first stamp is free

Didn't cul-de-sacs, with front drives and meandering streets start as a response to the perception that grid layouts were less safe (mostly due to backlanes and straight streets allowing the bad dudes to sneak up and escape easily).

I think if you asked your average suburbanite about this, that would be the overall opinion. Especially amongst the boomer generation.

Old Posted Apr 26, 2022, 9:23 PM

I have started thinking recently that breaking unicity up and going back to communities running themselves might see winnipeg in better condition than everything going to main street and the vast majority of funds eaten up by police and fire budgets and there is nothing left for for just even the most basic repairs and maintenance to be done.

Old Posted Apr 27, 2022, 12:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drew View Post
Didn't cul-de-sacs, with front drives and meandering streets start as a response to the perception that grid layouts were less safe (mostly due to backlanes and straight streets allowing the bad dudes to sneak up and escape easily).

I think if you asked your average suburbanite about this, that would be the overall opinion. Especially amongst the boomer generation.
I live on a Norwood grid street w sidewalks and backlane. 2 buddies and 1 brother live in suburb on cul de sacs. Besides lack of street parking, cul de sacs are pretty sweet for young families. Kids ride bikes and play street hockey w no worries about a Skip Dishes driver flying down my grid street. Plus they have picnic table in middle that quite often wine and beer is consumed w neighbour's. It's not all that bad like you guys make it out to be.

Old Posted Apr 27, 2022, 12:45 AM

I love the city, being out in the city and enjoying all the amenities the more urban parts of Winnipeg offers. However, I have no interest in leaving my very pleasant, comfortable, quiet, immediate access to nature suburban neighbourhood locale. I'm not quite sure that I have a point, but I know I'm not unique. Most of my peer group enjoys the sights and sounds of the urban sections, but is more than happy to retreat to the burbs for the day-to-day.

Old Posted Apr 27, 2022, 1:18 AM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

the lack of trees is realy depressing for one and not much for corner stores cause damn having a smoke house at the end of ur street is nice and u get rather spoiled

Old Posted Apr 27, 2022, 4:49 AM

Does any know what they are building behind 190 Smith St.?

I was in downtown last week and noticed a construction going on behind 190 Smith st. Does anybody know what thdy are building there?

Old Posted Apr 27, 2022, 12:55 PM
What could go wrong?

^^^A new 14 storey, 120 unit apartment building.

Old Posted Apr 27, 2022, 1:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wags_in_the_peg View Post
I live on a Norwood grid street w sidewalks and backlane. 2 buddies and 1 brother live in suburb on cul de sacs. Besides lack of street parking, cul de sacs are pretty sweet for young families. Kids ride bikes and play street hockey w no worries about a Skip Dishes driver flying down my grid street. Plus they have picnic table in middle that quite often wine and beer is consumed w neighbour's. It's not all that bad like you guys make it out to be.
This goes along with your comment about driving in the other thread.

To live in the burbs you pretty much have to drive your car everywhere you want to go. That's a choice that us made. Most people don't even think about it because they drive the car everywhere already. You want to work downtown and bus from Waverley West? Good luck. You can still drink with your neighbours on the grid street.

Old Posted Apr 27, 2022, 1:42 PM
What could go wrong?

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
If people didn't want grids and back lanes, then no one would be building and buying infills in old neighbourhoods.
Infills are a big thing and a hot ticket. I am fully supportive of them and wish there was more.

Although, I said that I don't think suburban buyers want grid streets and back lanes.

I love neighbourhoods like Wolseley and River Heights but I have to admit I personally hated having a back lane.

Generally unappealing to look at, terrible in winter and spring with snow clearing and thaw, and I never liked the fact that people have access to my back yard from a dark back lane.

Of note - we had a newer paved concrete back lane compared to some which are in third world shape.

Old Posted Apr 27, 2022, 1:45 PM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
You can still drink with your neighbours on the grid street.
chains saws and beer you say? haha yep u sure can

Old Posted Apr 27, 2022, 7:22 PM

Activity on the St. Regis site with test drilling.

Old Posted Apr 27, 2022, 11:07 PM
Portage & Main 50 below

Potholes uncover remnants of Winnipeg's streetcar system

https://winnipeg.ctvnews.ca/potholes...pBes8hLb-vhgnU

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan