HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Oct 5, 2021, 7:08 PM
What could go wrong?

Sandy Shindleman really is no friend to downtown.

https://retail-insider.com/podcast/2...hindico-group/
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted Oct 5, 2021, 9:13 PM

hate to piss on the momentum but I drive down Portage daily, I dont work downtown but I know a dozen or so people who work for Gov Cad, IG, Canada Life and Air Canada. there's not a bus shack b/w portage place and polo park that doesnt have someone living in it. it's getting worse every week. sorry guys, but many of the folks I've talked to hope to never return to work downtown and want to WFH or location outside downtown. more residential will help, everthing helps but the core issue needs to be resolved. many of these dont qualify to live in shlters as they have rules and wont allow them in there

Old Posted Oct 5, 2021, 9:32 PM
the first stamp is free

The bus shack stuff really bothers me. I walk to and from most days down Portage, and the garbage, obvious drug use, etc. is ridiculous.

There must be some method of curtailing this. At this point, no one who actually wants to use the bus shacks to wait for a bus can, so maybe just removing them altogether would be a start.

Old Posted Oct 5, 2021, 9:58 PM
Portage & Main 50 below

Quote:
Originally Posted by wags_in_the_peg View Post
hate to piss on the momentum but I drive down Portage daily, I dont work downtown but I know a dozen or so people who work for Gov Cad, IG, Canada Life and Air Canada. there's not a bus shack b/w portage place and polo park that doesnt have someone living in it. it's getting worse every week. sorry guys, but many of the folks I've talked to hope to never return to work downtown and want to WFH or location outside downtown. more residential will help, everthing helps but the core issue needs to be resolved. many of these dont qualify to live in shlters as they have rules and wont allow them in there

This.

When I came back after living in the States I couldn't believe how many homeless people are now living in bus shacks downtown.

I attribute it to when Mayor Bowman invited the homeless to stay in the bus shelters over the winter.

I think people who need help should be able to get it, but the transit shelters are for transit riders.

It's not to be used for social housing or to have a safe place to smoke meth.

Where will bus riders go when it's minus 30 and some guy and his girlfriend are living in the bus shelter with a dog?

It's sad to say but after years away, Winnipeg looks pretty run down.

In Seattle, there are real transit police. They have guns and handcuffs and can arrest you. Maybe we need that here.

The police should regularly do a sweep of downtown transit shelters. if you need help, they'll give you a ride to the Main Street project...but you can't live there.

I don't think it's a mistake that we are hearing about more violent incidents on city buses. Our transit system is not safe.

Last edited by Only The Lonely..; Oct 5, 2021 at 10:20 PM.

Old Posted Oct 5, 2021, 10:16 PM

I get the impression that Transit has become a much more menacing place, from the shelters to the buses. I don't envy the bus drivers, they thought they were signing on to a public transportation agency, but it is slowly turning into something very different.

It's a bit like the New York subway in the 70s, our inability to get a handle on something so basic speaks to much bigger problems that are looming.

Old Posted Oct 5, 2021, 10:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
I get the impression that Transit has become a much more menacing place, from the shelters to the buses. I don't envy the bus drivers, they thought they were signing on to a public transportation agency, but it is slowly turning into something very different.
It's turning into social work.

Old Posted Oct 5, 2021, 10:43 PM

I had something stolen right out of my hands on a Winnipeg bus a couple weeks ago. It was about 7pm and still bright out and lots of people around. I was shocked. It was busy so I didn't feel unsafe, but it was a negative experience and has impacted my transit riding experience since.

Last edited by GreyGarden; Oct 5, 2021 at 10:56 PM.

Old Posted Oct 5, 2021, 11:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drew View Post
The bus shack stuff really bothers me. I walk to and from most days down Portage, and the garbage, obvious drug use, etc. is ridiculous.

There must be some method of curtailing this. At this point, no one who actually wants to use the bus shacks to wait for a bus can, so maybe just removing them altogether would be a start.
Yup I would say this is the solution honestly

Old Posted Oct 6, 2021, 12:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Only The Lonely.. View Post

This.

When I came back after living in the States I couldn't believe how many homeless people are now living in bus shacks downtown.

I attribute it to when Mayor Bowman invited the homeless to stay in the bus shelters over the winter.

I think people who need help should be able to get it, but the transit shelters are for transit riders.

It's not to be used for social housing or to have a safe place to smoke meth.

Where will bus riders go when it's minus 30 and some guy and his girlfriend are living in the bus shelter with a dog?

It's sad to say but after years away, Winnipeg looks pretty run down.

In Seattle, there are real transit police. They have guns and handcuffs and can arrest you. Maybe we need that here.

The police should regularly do a sweep of downtown transit shelters. if you need help, they'll give you a ride to the Main Street project...but you can't live there.

I don't think it's a mistake that we are hearing about more violent incidents on city buses. Our transit system is not safe.

I’m also supportive of hard core enforcement. It’s the only way the message is going to get out that the shacks aren’t for the scum.

Old Posted Oct 6, 2021, 12:03 AM

Let’s take this to the Transit thread as we’re getting off topic seems like

Old Posted Oct 6, 2021, 12:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drew View Post

Eliminate them. Bus stops only. Pretty simple really.

Also, the meth. That's the real problem.

Last edited by OTA in Winnipeg; Oct 6, 2021 at 2:41 PM.

Old Posted Oct 6, 2021, 4:26 PM
jammon member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTA in Winnipeg View Post

Stop the behaviour by getting the Downtown Biz Patrol and Cadets to push them out of some of these spaces, like the bus shelters. Isn't that what we pay them to do? I have no problem with congregating in public spaces, but I have to say-- I drive past the A/C building almost every day and I can see how it would be intimidating to go in there everyday. Portage Place looks awful, the Bay shuttered up, Glasshouse has become a rental for prostitutes and drug dealers- it hasn't done much to bolster the image of our DT. It looks really run down again, much like the 90s and early 2000s.

Old Posted Oct 6, 2021, 4:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammon View Post
Glasshouse has become a rental for prostitutes and drug dealers-

Is this hyperbole or is it actually bad in there? I'd be curious to hear from someone living in there.

Old Posted Oct 6, 2021, 4:36 PM

I've heard from others that due to the lack of long-term tenants and Airbnb, living at Glasshouse can be very unpleasant at times. This doesn't seem like a strictly Winnipeg phenomena however. The Ice Condominium complex in the south Core of Toronto drips luxury from the outside, but apparently is a nightmare to live in for similar reasons:

https://www.blogto.com/real-estate-t...ondos-toronto/

Old Posted Oct 6, 2021, 5:02 PM
jammon member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreyGarden View Post
I've heard from others that due to the lack of long-term tenants and Airbnb, living at Glasshouse can be very unpleasant at times. This doesn't seem like a strictly Winnipeg phenomena however. The Ice Condominium complex in the south Core of Toronto drips luxury from the outside, but apparently is a nightmare to live in for similar reasons:

https://www.blogto.com/real-estate-t...ondos-toronto/
A lot of the movie crews that come into town for longer stays will be housed at Glasshouse and I know of quite a few that have complained about the living situation there. One friend was telling me they had a pizza delivered and it was stolen from outside their door. Drugs, prostitution and parties are all the norm there.

Old Posted Oct 6, 2021, 5:21 PM

Quote:
A lot of the movie crews that come into town for longer stays will be housed at Glasshouse and I know of quite a few that have complained about the living situation there. One friend was telling me they had a pizza delivered and it was stolen from outside their door. Drugs, prostitution and parties are all the norm there.
That is fucking depressing. Maybe it's a good thing SkyCity didn't get built, from the sounds of it, it might have just become a den for drug dealers and pimps.

Old Posted Oct 6, 2021, 5:52 PM

Quote:
Well, I just learned that we have a 21 floor glass tower smack in the centre of downtown that is a vertical Brothel.. . 2020's version .Wow...

Old Posted Oct 6, 2021, 5:54 PM
jammon member

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
That is fucking depressing. Maybe it's a good thing SkyCity didn't get built, from the sounds of it, it might have just become a den for drug dealers and pimps.
Yeah. Doesn't leave a great impression of the city. Two guys I know from Vancouver are currently staying there and they hate it. Downtown just looks dilapidated right now and you can really see the social disparities and homelessness. They weren't left with a great impression of our DT core, but I made sure to give them a different experience doing Corydon and Osborne Village.

I mean, what can you say? I'm not going to argue it because I was feeling so positive about all the DT developments- but Portage Ave, in particular, is a mess right now between Main and Memorial.

Old Posted Oct 6, 2021, 6:04 PM

Airbnb must have changed things for the worse. When I was younger in the pre-Airbnb era I owned a downtown condo and it was great as far as apartment living goes... mostly owner-occupied with some rentals, but as far as I know the renters were long term. Having a revolving door of different people coming through night after night would not be great, especially if they misbehave as many seem to.

Old Posted Oct 6, 2021, 6:35 PM
the first stamp is free

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTA in Winnipeg View Post

I should clarify that it is specifically the bus shelter near Sherbrook and Portage that is the worst offender.

Constantly occupied, with blatant drug use and just garbage garbage garbage.

It is basically right in front of a youth outreach/drop in centre too.

The rest of the shelters downtown remain unoccupied most of the time.

This particular one appears to fall outside of the reach of downtown biz, so maybe that is why it is a problem.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan